Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Moral_Hazard posted:

Is the Kakimori the one with the smiley face nib? I want that one. If I ever commission a line of fountain pens, I want to get nibs stamped with :v:

The smiley nib pen is the Pilot Kakuno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah the Kakimori is the one with the wide Sailor nib.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Both are very cool.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

meinstein posted:

What’s a good price to pay for a used lamy 2000? There’s one with an ink stain and a piston cap that has “some slack” - for $95, worth it? I’d like to pick one up and should have the money to order for £104/$130ish new and shipped from cultpens in a few weeks, but wondering if I should just buy the used one and save some money.

Looking at eBay I bet if I’m patient I could probably get one without defects for $100. Not willing to trust that Serbian seller though unless someone here knows better.

I would wait since I see them for $100 for sale. It's not exactly a uncommon FP.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks! That's true.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been using Diamine Quartz Black all summer and I think it's my favorite ink that I own. Greyer than my MB Mystery Black, smooth as butter and dries fast. I thought Diamine was a lower quality brand, but I'm impressed!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Professor Shark posted:

I've been using Diamine Quartz Black all summer and I think it's my favorite ink that I own. Greyer than my MB Mystery Black, smooth as butter and dries fast. I thought Diamine was a lower quality brand, but I'm impressed!

I actually really like Diamine inks. I have a bunch of them and they all hold their color really well. Some of them are a little watery but honestly it’s never bothered me.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I like Diamine Oxblood, Majestic Blue, Sapphire Blue, and Sherwood Green. Think they're all fine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Professor Shark posted:

Diamine ink is comparable to Waterman and Pelikan in terms of quality. They're definitely not a low quality maker.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have any recommendations for a fountain pen with clip that is mini-sized? I'm thinking TWSBI Mini or some such to go with a Midori TN Passport.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

aldantefax posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a fountain pen with clip that is mini-sized? I'm thinking TWSBI Mini or some such to go with a Midori TN Passport.

The Kaweco Sport has an optional clip-on clip that works quite well.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

atholbrose posted:

The Kaweco Sport has an optional clip-on clip that works quite well.

Good enough for me (for now). I picked up a Kaweco Sport + a clip + cartridges. We'll see how that fares for a daily writer.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've been using Noodler's Ink Lexington Gray, it's okay, but it doesn't seem to flow too well on my Lamy Safari. I have a left-handed medium nib. I'm thinking of getting a black/blue (leaning on blue) one with nice pigment.

I'm left-handed, so I want something that dries quickly. Any recs? Reading the OP, Heart of Darkness looks widely-recommended. The Iroshizuku ones look nice, and are just on the upper-end of my budget.

Also, the nib area of my pen seems to leak ink. Is there something I could do to clean it? I wash it every other refill, but I haven't done anything more intensive to maintain it. Or maybe it's just the fact that I don't use it every day? (The pen is about 5 years old)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Could you post a picture of where it's leaking from? "The nib area" really doesn't tell us much.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

grack posted:

Could you post a picture of where it's leaking from? "The nib area" really doesn't tell us much.

At the base. I'll try to post at lunch in 2 hours.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Schneider Heim posted:

At the base. I'll try to post at lunch in 2 hours.

Yeah that may just be the standard Lamy ink creep, up onto that little ledge. Do post a picture so we can be sure though.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Noodler’s Q-Eternity is very quick-drying and often recommended for lefties — that’s why I bought it. It’s a blue black.

It turns out I like my blues to be a bit more whimsical. If you like the color, I’ve got a 90ml bottle that’s missing about 1-2ml that I’m never going to use. It could be yours if you want to pay for shipping.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Otherwise the Noodler Bernanke series are designed specifically with fast drying in mind so they may interest you.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Sailor's nanoinks are also quick drying and waterproof.

I'm a lefty as well and I'm not sure I'd recommend Iroshizuku inks for any lefty who isn't an underwriter. They're beautiful, but very wet, saturated and smudge even when "dry."

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I actually trained myself to be an underwriter — it’s easy as long as I’m printing — because of Asa Gao

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Where do you guys look for used pens? Is there a place online? Do we have an SA group?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
/r/pen_swap is very well regulated and runs the gamut of pens and inks on offer.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

meinstein posted:

I actually trained myself to be an underwriter — it’s easy as long as I’m printing — because of Asa Gao

I think Asa Gao is worth the effort; also less cramping, I think. My brother and I are both lefties. I'm an underwriter and he's an overwriter. Not sure how that's comfortable. I got him some quick drying ink, but he likes cartridges.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Hello friends. I keep meaning to pick up Asa Gao and what do you know - it's at an all time low on Amazon. $15 with prime shipping! If anyone is interested

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Lowness 72 posted:

Hello friends. I keep meaning to pick up Asa Gao and what do you know - it's at an all time low on Amazon. $15 with prime shipping! If anyone is interested

Ooh, thanks for the heads-up!

I just realized I've been refilling my pen with Diamine Oxford Blue for two months now. I like blues, but usually I flit around more. Maybe Asa Gao will get me to change when it comes in.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got a very interesting pen in today. It's from a seller called TwiCo in the UK. Purple urushi over ebonite in an Ishimeji finish, with an 18k Jowo nib. Very well made. There's a maker's mark on the bottom but it's drat near impossible to read, though. Very lovely pen.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

So, that is what that finish is called.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Got a very interesting pen in today. It's from a seller called TwiCo in the UK. Purple urushi over ebonite in an Ishimeji finish, with an 18k Jowo nib. Very well made. There's a maker's mark on the bottom but it's drat near impossible to read, though. Very lovely pen.

Ooooohhhh how's it write?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It writes fine. I put it through the micromesh/mylar paper regimen, but I do that with virtually all of my pens.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

grack posted:

I want this loving pen and I'm posting so I rememver this when I get my paycheck.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone know what kind of converter a Shaeffer takes? I found a cheapie Shaeffer among my dad's stuff.

VV Thank you!

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 22, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pretty sure they're "international converters" which would just be a standard converter that you can get from anywhere.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm pretty sure Sheaffer uses proprietary converters and carts.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Sheaffers use a proprietary converter. Source: I own two No-Nonsenses.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I thought I had read somewhere that they were standard... My bad for bad advice.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

No worries. Thanks all for the help.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

grack posted:

Goddamn this is pretty. Pity it's in the "perpetually too expensive for me to justify" price range.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Goddamn this is pretty. Pity it's in the "perpetually too expensive for me to justify" price range.

I managed to snag it off of eBay at a pretty massive discount, but TwiCo doesn't seem to list their urushi pens there very much. I paid a touch over $300 CDN all in, which is a miracle for a modern Ishimeji pen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

"Released by Customs" great tracking update, or greatest tracking update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

effika posted:

Yeah that may just be the standard Lamy ink creep, up onto that little ledge. Do post a picture so we can be sure though.

I think that's pretty much it. I washed it off and reinked with a Sailor 740 (deep blue) that I just got. Writes like a dream (my previous ink was kind of hard to write with).

Is it a usual practice to get several pens with different inks in them? I love my Lamy Safari, it's not too ostentatious, but some of the nicer ones look tempting, and it feels weird for a charcoal pen to write in blue.