Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Belated, but I forgot about this thread.

Friday was the usual drudge work in a hot factory. I drink out of the drinking fountains because gently caress paying for water like a chump. I overheard or noticed people complaining about the water more than usual (I'm in a dumbfuck area where bottled water is perceived as "better"), but I ignored it since it didn't taste any worse than usual. Finally about an hour and a half in, somebody tells me they accidentally temporarily connected or cross-connected water lines from the presses to the lines the water fountains use. I immediately filled up a cup and sure enough it was grey.

Thanks for telling the janitor he was drinking contaminated water, assholes. Luckily I don't think I had enough to do me any harm since I didn't drink that much, they fixed the problem before I got there, and it was slowly getting flushed out I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

Lol what the gently caress. Isn't there a rule stating no food or drink in the unit? For sanitary reasons? My gift shop has stickers on our door so people don't get our toys dirty. That's crazy.

The nurses and doctors most likely said "you can't have this" once they found out he got food but we couldn't have denied the order due to $$$

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Aug 14, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The smoke here is so thick that everything is orange and the sun is just a faint dark red orb. I can't breathe. I took today off work in case I needed to from my surgery yesterday but I would have 100% called in because I'd be back in the hospital if I left my house.

Edit: Here's the satellite imagery for today. It's insane.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Aug 16, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My friend JP who I met in rehab died from an overdose yesterday. Extremely smart, kind and soft spoken guy with an unfortunate past and upbringing. I did a very intense group therapy session involving confronting yourself in a mirror and he had to fled the room. We bonded over it later. He was one of the coolest people I’ve ever met

Goodbye buddy. I love you and I’ll miss you

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As I was walking into a bar, I noticed a clearly dying / injured bird in the walkway. It was either trying to get up, or pushing itself on its side into the nearby bushes.

I couldn't do anything, so I just went inside. :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Never in my life did I expect considering an oxygen tank while in my 30s but thanks to climate change and the insane fire situation the past 3 years in BC, that seems to be my reality. What a poo poo world we created.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You should buy one of those old timey huge brown diving suits and just wear that whenever you have to go outside.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Eh just it’s realizations or my own paranoia.

I hate my brain.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I decided to do a solid for my manager and do an evening shift followed by a morning shift. Last nights shift was an unmitigated shitshow because they put me in the emergency department, so I worked an exhausting shift followed by four hours of sleep.

I'm not in the ED today but my energy drink kicked in weird so my brain is still slow but my body is moving way too fast

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm supposed to start a new job after labor day (which is great) but it's 2 hours away. I don't have a lot of up front cash so finding a place to stay has been really hard (especially now that the college students nearby have all moved in there as well) and I really don't think my car (or me) could take 4 hours of travel time a day until my first paycheck and now I'm becoming panicky. Like, the job pays well and I could absolutely afford to live wherever once I get some paychecks in but just getting there is loving me up.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

I'm supposed to start a new job after labor day (which is great) but it's 2 hours away. I don't have a lot of up front cash so finding a place to stay has been really hard (especially now that the college students nearby have all moved in there as well) and I really don't think my car (or me) could take 4 hours of travel time a day until my first paycheck and now I'm becoming panicky. Like, the job pays well and I could absolutely afford to live wherever once I get some paychecks in but just getting there is loving me up.

AirBnB? I think some people do a few week/month rental to get a feel for an area before committing to a long lease or buying.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Not today, but yesterday. First we had a patient express homicidal ideation such that the tech taking care of her and the entire rest of the hallway, had to sit with her which meant I suddenly had 15 patients instead of 10, half of whom I knew literally nothing about. I tried to get report on them but she had lost her report sheet. (So no clue how they move--or if they do --what their diet is like, if they're on isolation for any infection, etc) And then, I found out that the third tech, who was taking care of the back of the opposite hall, just up and left without telling anyone. Thank gently caress for the nurses; they managed to handle those 15 rooms until shift change. My blood pressure has never been higher leaving work.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m taking long walks after work to relax and get exercise. Well today, I walked 1.5 miles to the bus stop. Then I realized I forgot my medicine at work. Anti-seizure medicine. So I walked 3 miles to get it. I have hyperhidrosis (I sweat like crazy) so I came in dripped in sweat. Then I went in the safe, where my medicine is cause someone was stealing it, and this one guy came in after me to silently check on me cause they all think I’m on illegal drugs because sometimes I fall asleep in the back cause I sleep FOUR HOURS today and yesterday cause I have to wake up at 5 am!!! And i have chronic insomnia!

Anyways summary is that I looked like a crack addict and they’re gonna tell the GM and possibly the area manager about this. Then I will be in trouble probably.

Edit: I completely forgot it’s august and I need to get a flu shot (gonna get it Wednesday if I remember) and I need to renew my city sticker which is $90 and I have at minimum $50 of medical bills and I think I’m behind on my rent but I have severe anxiety so I’m too scared to check. :smith:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Aug 21, 2018

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Picnic Princess posted:

The smoke here is so thick that everything is orange and the sun is just a faint dark red orb. I can't breathe. I took today off work in case I needed to from my surgery yesterday but I would have 100% called in because I'd be back in the hospital if I left my house.

Edit: Here's the satellite imagery for today. It's insane.

I live near Vancouver, and I personally like the smoke. :shrug: I have no respiratory issues, nor do I have sunglasses, so it's cool being able to look at the red sun.
It's been like living on an alien world for the past three years. I'm sure I'll get sick of it eventually, but for now it's neat. For now. It's neat. For now. For me. It's neat. For me. For now.

Anyway, my sister admitted herself into the psych ward last week. When I was notified by her wife, I was glad.
Christine, my sister, has been struggling with mental illness for many years now, and I thought that it's the best place for her to be. At this point in her life.
I found out the next day that Christine had beaten herself up because they would not give her a blanket. I understand why they wouldn't give it to her, blankets and sheets and robes etc. are easy ways to strangle oneself, but I still can not understand her reaction to the denial of what amounts to a piece of fabric.

I called work and told them that my sister was in the hospital. Then, after a few cigarettes, I went to the hospital. I was solemnly greeted by Kendra, my sister's wife. She led me to Chris's's room.
She had two black eyes. Which she had done to herself. Her lip was also hurting, she proudly told me, but I could see no external damage. Christine then showed me her hands, which were also bruised. From hitting herself in face, you see. Hard enough to give herself black eyes. Because they wouldn't give her a blanket.

I asked her what she hoped to accomplish by beating herself up in what amounts to a childish tantrum, and she had no answer. She spoke only of wanting to die.

Fast Forward to today, five days later.

I visited her again. She went for a walk around the forest surrounding the hospital. She discovered some interesting plants and variations in woodland terrain. She may have gone beyond the borders of the hospital ("Shh! Hehehe!") but she made it back to her room by curfew.
She showed me some drawings she'd made. Pages of stick figures in precarious situations with text in the background saying things like "ARE YOU OKAY?" "SUICIDE" etc.
I must admit, I laughed at one of the pictures she showed me. It was a man resting his head on railroad tracks, with a big smile on his face and a speech bubble that said "JUST IN TIME".
I absolutely lost it. I laughed so hard. It's just such a Chris thing to draw.

So yeah, that's been my week. Oh also my aunt died, but she had pancreatic cancer so it's not like it was unexpected, but still... My parents are having an even worse time than I am right now.
Thanks for reading, my goony friends.

EDIT: I want to cry. I feel the need to cry inside me. I want to. I need to. But I simply can not remember how to.
I've stress-puked three times in the past week. And I probably will again tonight. But I need to cry. I need to. I must. I must remember. How to cry. How to?

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Aug 22, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm sorry. That's horrible. I have a partner who struggles with mental illness, and last year was a horrible trainwreck as we dealt with a traumatic move that basically resulted in her losing most of her friends and family, living with my parents for a year, seeing 2 of her cats being killed by coyotes, being in severe financial stress, and finally, as it turned out, being under-medicated for YEARS. She made a huge turnaround when I FINALLY got her to go to the psychiatrist, who prescribed her Abilify and turned her around. If it had gone on much longer... I don't know what I'd do. But last year I went from a generally optimistic person to a pessimist who has severe panic attacks and cries at the drop of a hat, and gets so angry I can't think or speak when anyone brings up politics around me.

Not trying to claim my suffering is worse than yours or my partner is worse off than your sister - I'm really, REALLY thankful she didn't get bad enough to have to be admitted. But I can sympathize. I have an inkling of how much this hurts and I really, really hope things get better.

Stories of mental health aren't funny to me anymore. I just imagine the perpetual torture their loved ones must be going through and it's all I can do to keep from breaking down. That's another way I changed in the last year - I'm way, way more empathetic. Not bragging, I absolutely hate it because it makes it impossible to function sometimes.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

EDIT: I want to cry. I feel the need to cry inside me. I want to. I need to. But I simply can not remember how to.
I've stress-puked three times in the past week. And I probably will again tonight. But I need to cry. I need to. I must. I must remember. How to cry. How to?

I've been there. It sucks. Not being able to cry is normal, you're likely still processing it right now. For me that's how it happens - I go numb for a time, and then it all hits me at once and I can't even leave the house for a day because if I even try to interact with another person I just want to hide in my room and cry. I don't have any advice other than to be conscious of your own needs and allow yourself to do what you need to do to process it and heal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I live near Vancouver, and I personally like the smoke. :shrug: I have no respiratory issues, nor do I have sunglasses, so it's cool being able to look at the red sun.
It's been like living on an alien world for the past three years. I'm sure I'll get sick of it eventually, but for now it's neat. For now. It's neat. For now. For me. It's neat. For me. For now?

Oh, it looks amazing, for sure. I got some amazing photos last year when the same thing happened. It just sucks that it could hospitalize me.

And I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I've been in a very similar situation. The person was able to pull themselves out of their situation, but it's so difficult to figure out what you can do, if anything. :glomp:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've been there. It sucks. Not being able to cry is normal, you're likely still processing it right now. For me that's how it happens - I go numb for a time, and then it all hits me at once and I can't even leave the house for a day because if I even try to interact with another person I just want to hide in my room and cry. I don't have any advice other than to be conscious of your own needs and allow yourself to do what you need to do to process it and heal.

Thank you.

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh, it looks amazing, for sure. I got some amazing photos last year when the same thing happened. It just sucks that it could hospitalize me.

:smith:

Hello new desktop backgrounds!

Picnic Princess posted:

And I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I've been in a very similar situation. The person was able to pull themselves out of their situation, but it's so difficult to figure out what you can do, if anything. :glomp:

:unsmith:

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Aug 23, 2018

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My check engine light came on while I was driving home today.
It's solid orange, not blinking or red, so I know it's nothing serious, but... just...
I watched it come on, and I literally said out loud, to myself, "Of loving course that just happened."

Sorry for the double post, quote =/= edit.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Stories of mental health aren't funny to me anymore.

Stories of mental health were funny at one point?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thin Privilege posted:

Stories of mental health were funny at one point?

I wrote that post on my phone so I probably phrased it more awkwardly than I should have. I follow the r/relationships and Bad With Money threads here because they are interesting and sometimes funny reads. But lately when I run across a story of someone in a relationship with a person with severe mental illness (like, for example, the BWM story about the woman filling her house and spending all their savings on decorative gourds) it kicks off my anxiety and depression, as I imagine the exact feeling of desperation, fear and helplessness that the partner is going through.

I also used to gobble up shows like Hoarders. Same sort of thing. Now I think watching an episode of that would cause me to have an emotional breakdown.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I make minimum wage and the only reason I took so little money was the fact that every month I get a commission that effectively doubles my wage, except this month the loving office manager took a loving vacation and paid EVERYONE ELSE'S commissions before she left but NOT MINE, so now I have $41.12 in the bank and I'm pissed

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Earlier this year my grandmother was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and put on hospice care; her treatment is palliative but not curative.

Today I found out she's got sepsis from the catheters she's had placed, and because she's in hospice care and can't take oral antibiotics, they're not treating that either. So she's almost certainly going to die in the next week.

Happy birthday to me. :toot:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my roommates' crazy ex climbed on the room and busted in through her window at 2 am last night trying to catch her with another guy, then had a fight all through our house, leaving blood all over the floors and walls. Then today he had the gall to try and show up to get his stuff when the police are looking for him. Luckily I was here and called the police again.

At this point he needs to decide whether to turn himself into the police or his USMC base. As long as I never see him again I don't care.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My cat died early this evening. He was 12 years old, and he was my first cat.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I’m sorry you lost him.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Besesoth posted:

Earlier this year my grandmother was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and put on hospice care; her treatment is palliative but not curative.

Today I found out she's got sepsis from the catheters she's had placed, and because she's in hospice care and can't take oral antibiotics, they're not treating that either. So she's almost certainly going to die in the next week.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I’m really sorry you guys :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One of my roommates' crazy ex climbed on the room and busted in through her window at 2 am last night trying to catch her with another guy, then had a fight all through our house, leaving blood all over the floors and walls. Then today he had the gall to try and show up to get his stuff when the police are looking for him. Luckily I was here and called the police again.

At this point he needs to decide whether to turn himself into the police or his USMC base. As long as I never see him again I don't care.

:stare: I'm hoping the blood was his from breaking the window.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't get the job. :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stare: I'm hoping the blood was his from breaking the window.

Yeah, it was. I wasn't like it was coating the walls, but there were splatters + drops all over the stairs, wall leading down the stairs, and floor leading out the door. And there's some on the concrete outside (maybe permanent).

I keep finding new spots I missed, and I might have to repaint some parts of the bedroom cuz there's one or two bloody handprint smears on the wall.

He did tumble down the stairs, I'm honestly surprised he wasn't more injured. But he is a marine in his early 20s so that's probably why.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's probably why for a lot of things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Got into a bickering fit today with a person who likely does not consider me a friend anymore. That was pretty lovely but eventually they asked why I said I think her fiance is creepy and I said it was because he told me 5 years ago about the time he raped a girl but it wasn't rape because she was probably drunk and he was "forced" to give in to her demands for sex because if he didn't then she was going to go out of his dorm room and tell everyone that he raped her so he had to have sex with her or else he would be considered a rapist and how that event is one of his reasons behind why he deserves to have a threesome and when I just unloaded all of this on the most-likely-ex-friend after she had attacked me and my relationship, she started going into how her fiance is such a nice, caring dude, about how he just gives in to pressure so easily so that he can keep the peace, that it was a truly traumatic event for him, one where it was actually reverse rape because he's just so nice and kind that what he did isn't possibly rape because of how nice he is, and that they don't even know if she was drunk because she just had dilated pupils and was acting extremely abnormally and had no recollection of the events that had occurred over the previous night when she woke up and it was all just her fault for being under the influence and coming on to him, he just HAD to get his dick out, and I'm just not understanding that the rape he committed was not a rape.

That's why I'm frustrated right now, that's why it was a lovely day, it's annoying and it's a nuisance but it is done and over with now and I'm hopefully gonna get to relax tomorrow without dealing with this stupid drama bullshit about how awful it is, about how I "betrayed" him by saying that I don't consider the rapist who I don't talk to and never go out of my way to interact with to be a friend of mine

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You made the right decision. Hell with them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've been having a serious case of sadbrains today. There's really no reason why I should be sad, and yet I broke down crying in front of my mum tonight.

I'm hoping it'll go away if I sleep on it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Fellow awesome goon is in hospice care :(

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Thin Privilege, I hope your friend recovers soon. :(

Besesoth posted:

I forgot I'd posted this.

RIP Grandma Dottie. (She passed last week, late at night when only my dad and I were still awake. She was 94.) :sigh:

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
Spilled half a tub of gesso on carpet in a rental apartment. Was able to clean most of it out, and I got over it pretty quick, but am still mad about all that wasted gesso.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Male customers sometimes reach over the counter to grab me. (Some will grab my hands, touch my shoulder) When I tell other people about it, they tend to dismiss it because the customer isn't doing it in a malicious way.

No, but it's hella creepy.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

NarwhalParty posted:

Male customers sometimes reach over the counter to grab me. (Some will grab my hands, touch my shoulder) When I tell other people about it, they tend to dismiss it because the customer isn't doing it in a malicious way.

Ew. gently caress that. Break their fingers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

NarwhalParty posted:

What the gently caress, where do you work that this is apparently considered ok? I've never seen that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

When I worked in both fast-food and jewelry some old men managed to get my hand encased in both of theirs while they called me sweetie and wouldn't let go. It can be hazardous accepting money or a watch directly hand to hand.