Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

pork never goes bad posted:

Some great setups. What are the prints in the office pic?

Thanks! Law and Moore do minimalist pop culture prints, these are all the Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The turbo on my car died just after I had the electronics fixed for mid four figures. In between crying over my bank account I did a project to show I am in control of at least a tiny portion of my life.

Only did the direct drive wheel and playback belt. It was surprisingly easy, and done in just 10-15 minutes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I soldered for the first time today, restoring lights to my SX-650. I thought I fried the amp by accident while I was doing it, but I just blew a fuse thankfully.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I soldered for the first time today, restoring lights to my SX-650. I thought I fried the amp by accident while I was doing it, but I just blew a fuse thankfully.

That looks almost new. Honestly, it would be a good idea filming yourself next time you do one of these projects.

evobatman posted:

The turbo on my car died just after I had the electronics fixed for mid four figures. In between crying over my bank account I did a project to show I am in control of at least a tiny portion of my life.

Only did the direct drive wheel and playback belt. It was surprisingly easy, and done in just 10-15 minutes.

Mind linking the supplier? Got a WM-FX323 I use when driving and I think it uses compatible belts to the D series.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

That looks almost new. Honestly, it would be a good idea filming yourself next time you do one of these projects.

Hah, the first 45 minutes would have been swearing, trying to fit the wires and the led posts in a single binder clip because I didn't have a proper clip set up, and a bearded man (me) with tears streaming down his face.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Mind linking the supplier? Got a WM-FX323 I use when driving and I think it uses compatible belts to the D series.

https://fixyouraudio.com/product/belt-sony-wm-fx323/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Someone left an Akai AA-1040 in our trash room. It's not really a very desirable receiver as such, but it just pains me to see people throw out classic silver front gear.

Unfortunately it is rather grimy/dirty and although I didn't give it a deep sniff, there was a slight "decades of tobacco" odor about it. Which is not a good sign, when it cuts through the general smell of a trash room. It's probably a nasty mess inside, and will stink up a whole apartment when you turn it on, no matter what you do. Probably even broken, too.

It's just as well, because I just don't have the time nor the room to repair/house it.

*sigh*

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

It might be worth saving anyway?

My mom's sx-750 was pretty nicotine stained when I got it (thanks Mom!) but inside it was just a little dusty. Not overly dirty. I got the face all cleaned up in 15 minutes using melamine sponges. You can get 100 of them for $7 on Amazon and they're great for cleaning all sorts of poo poo.

edit: it's rated pretty highly on hifi engine:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/aa-1040.shtml

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

All Stereos Matter

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll go have another look tomorrow, I guess :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Akai AA-1040 saved and currently stored in my basement room. Haven't had the time to hook it up and see whether it works or not, but I'm gonna give it a cleaning before I bring it into my apartment, it is rather grimy on the front. Luckily the tobacco smell doesn't seem to have been from the receiver, probably something else in the trash room was smelly instead.

Aside from being grimy and dusty, it's in really good physical condition, I'm sure it'll clean up nicely. If it does end up being broken beyond my repair skills, at least I can sell it on its good looks to some adventurous electronics amateur.

E: I think the one my parents had was an AA-1020, this one has a few more knobs and buttons.

E2: Two phono inputs, oh yeah.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 18, 2018

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Thanks a lot.

Hah, the first 45 minutes would have been swearing, trying to fit the wires and the led posts in a single binder clip because I didn't have a proper clip set up, and a bearded man (me) with tears streaming down his face.

That's half the entertainment, tbh

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up this JVC R-S33 at a garage sale today for $15:

I had to clean quite a bit of smoke grime off the face and top, but at least it doesn't smell. Having slider controls sucks but I quite like the look of it, especially when the dial is lit. Unfortunately my bulbs are dead, so I'll have to decide if it's worth messing with that. I swear I have the best luck with cheap receivers and the worst luck for bad dial lights.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 21, 2018

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

So I wound up selling the Marantz and the speakers and made $175 on top of what I paid for them. Turned around and bought an SX-727, which I think might unseat my Sx-750 as my favorite receiver.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

So I wound up selling the Marantz and the speakers and made $175 on top of what I paid for them. Turned around and bought an SX-727, which I think might unseat my Sx-750 as my favorite receiver.

I had one of those and liked it a lot. It had issues I couldn't fix so I flipped it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Welcome back you beast

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

pzy posted:

Welcome back you beast

This is beautiful.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ok looks like i've gotta get back into the turntable game. I've got decent rips of all my skramz vinyl but it would be nice to listen to them properly again, but i've recently gotten into Japanese ambient and its all youtube quality or 128kbs mp3s from 15 years ago.

I already have a reciever, passive speakers and some powered studio monitors. I'd rather not set up two sets of speakers, would i need to put anything in between a turntable and the studio monitors or is that a fine combo?

Do turntables themselves have a sound signature? I'm in Australia so don't have access to cheap second hand poo poo, would I be shooting myself in the foot just grabbing the closest thing available on gumtree? I'd rather spend as much of the money as possible on records.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

field balm posted:

Do turntables themselves have a sound signature?

Outside of rumble and speed variation, which should all hopefully be at a minimum? No.

The turntable itself only has one function, and that's to spin as close to a stable 33 1/3 or 45 RPM as possible.

The most important part is the cartridge, and then the tonearm and the RIAA preamp. You can pretty much put any cartridge on any tonearm, in purely mechanical terms, but some combinations may end up causing feedback or be mismatched in other ways that affect the sound. Generally it's hard to go wrong with a standard Ortofon, Shure or AT cartridge on any reasonably common tonearm.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

field balm posted:

I already have a reciever, passive speakers and some powered studio monitors. I'd rather not set up two sets of speakers, would i need to put anything in between a turntable and the studio monitors or is that a fine combo?

You’ll need a phono preamp between the turntable and your studio monitors. Prices for those tend to be around $40 to $infinity. Cheap but good: Artcessories DJPre2, Behringer PP400, less cheap but good: stuff from NAD, Project, Cambridge Audio. Anything above that is diminishing returns.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

field balm posted:

Ok looks like i've gotta get back into the turntable game. I've got decent rips of all my skramz vinyl but it would be nice to listen to them properly again, but i've recently gotten into Japanese ambient and its all youtube quality or 128kbs mp3s from 15 years ago.

I already have a reciever, passive speakers and some powered studio monitors. I'd rather not set up two sets of speakers, would i need to put anything in between a turntable and the studio monitors or is that a fine combo?.

If you’re buying a new turntable built in the last decade, most of the ones you’ll see for sale come with built-in preamps these days because most companies stopped making receivers with their own built-in preamps (phono input) a few years ago unless they’re higher end, mostly stereo (although some companies are still making some surround receivers with phono ins), models for audio nerds.

Internet people will wax on about whether those built-in turntable preamps are good enough and you’ll arguably get better sound out of a high quality dedicated pre. Popular modern turntables tend to come in under $300-$400 US at the most so it’s argued that those preamps are pretty inexpensive (and therefore bad) or unshielded or whatever. The general consensus is that any receiver/amp-based preamp will be quite good (especially if the receiver comes from a time when turntables were common), as will a separate one. That said, reviews tend to say pretty good things about the sound quality of popular modern turntables played through average modern gear and I’d argue that the vast majority of owners today probably use the built-in pre on a turntable with no problem or discernible loss in audio quality. In any case, you can usually choose to switch the built-in pre on or off depending on what other equipment you have. If your receiver already has a phono input you’ll probably want to use that and the passive speakers to avoid having to buy a separate pre if the idea of using the one on a turntable bothers you. Otherwise you can go through the built-in pre straight to your powered speakers without any other box in between, and lots of people do that and enjoy it.

The AT-LP120 is a great affordable turntable, as is the new Pioneer PLX-500, both should be readily available in Australia, especially via Amazon or big musicians’ supply stores. They’re both trying to be clones to some degree of the venerable Technics SL-1200 so they work as DJ turntables if you put a DJ cartridge on them but they both ship with decent Hi Fi carts for home listening. Both come with switchable preamps that most normal people seem to have no problem with, and will easily work well with phono inputs or separate pres if you decide to go that route. You can always add gear and upgrade poo poo down the road.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey, thanks for the quick and definitive advice guys. I'll keep you updated on how I go!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

LEDs for the SX-727 arrived today. Swapping them out only took 30 minutes, but involved taking the entire faceplate off. Yeesh.

Pretty pleased with the results though:

Anyone looking to do it to their SX-x2x receiver can find instructions here.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
That looks great

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I put some lights in my new receiver too. I used incandescent this time because I could get a box of #53 bulbs for 50 cents each.

I'm growing to really like the look of this JVC.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Welp, looks like I’m going to have to sell the 727. The speaker relay intermittently kicks on when I power it up and I can’t afford to fix it right now. Got laid off last week.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Anyone have a marantz 2xxx to sell? Kinda maybe thinking about one for my office.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ghostnuke posted:

Anyone have a marantz 2xxx to sell? Kinda maybe thinking about one for my office.

I have a 2235b but it's my baby and I don't wanna part with it tbh :(

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a 2235b but it's my baby and I don't wanna part with it tbh :(

Then you treasure that baby until you die. To anyone else though, I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, projects are ok.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
I think I scored pretty well on the Facebook Marketplace.

Sony PS-X600 direct-drive turntable with the BIOTRACER electronically controlled tonearm.
3 spare headshells, 2 new in box
SHURE V15 IV-MR cartridge and needle
SONY XL-44L cartridge and needle
Dynavector KARAT 17D cartridge and needle
ORSONIC DS-250 Disc Stabilizer
and a bunch of misc. tools including this vintage tazer "Anti-Static Record Gun" https://www.vinylengine.com/library/nagaoka/kilavolt-no-103.shtml

all for $300 CAD

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

I think I scored pretty well on the Facebook Marketplace.

Sony PS-X600 direct-drive turntable with the BIOTRACER electronically controlled tonearm.
3 spare headshells, 2 new in box
SHURE V15 IV-MR cartridge and needle
SONY XL-44L cartridge and needle
Dynavector KARAT 17D cartridge and needle
ORSONIC DS-250 Disc Stabilizer
and a bunch of misc. tools including this vintage tazer "Anti-Static Record Gun" https://www.vinylengine.com/library/nagaoka/kilavolt-no-103.shtml

all for $300 CAD

I bought a Sony PS-X50 last year for $60 and put $120 into getting it into operating shape. The drat thing is built like a tank and sounds wonderful. Older Sony turntables usually go under-appreciated because of how lovely their new ones are. Nice score.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -