Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

euphronius posted:

Do not call the cops if the person is a visible minority.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What about invisible minorities? They can be pretty dangerous

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a Canadian term which I think works well in this context.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

It’s a Canadian term which I think works well in this context.

What level of crime does a visible minority need to commit before you should call the police?

Assault isn't enough apparently?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Assault is usually a misdemeanor so I mean consider the potential consequences for the person of color I guess before you dial 911.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nm posted:

Public defender tip:
In a situation like this always call the cops when it happens. Not to get him in trouble, but defensively. In misdo land, and to a large degree in felony land, the first to the phone almost always wins.
You should have called the cops the moment hi assaulted you. This is not because you're weak or anything, but to protect against legal consequences.
I haven't decided if this will be as effective weeks later.

From other side of the aisle. Yes. Agree. You can always tell the prosecutor you’d rather let the matter drop and usually they will defer to the “victim.” But having the police report helps you if he decides to keep loving with you. However... weeks after the fact? For a minor scuffle? From a civil side looks like you’re just making a paper trail or being petty. which could be seen negatively.

euphronius posted:

Assault is usually a misdemeanor so I mean consider the potential consequences for the person of color I guess before you dial 911.

Just stop.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress the police, and that's legal advice

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

Right, no one has sued anyone yet. Threatening letters don't really scare us into writing checks easily. My next step is to send a certified letter to the collection agency stating that I dispute there claim and ask them to send me copies of the documentation that show that my wife owes money. I want to get a feel for how much they know and how invested they are in pursuing the claim. If I start immediately with a letter from the lawyer they may decide to just take us right to court.

A brief update on what's been happening. Nothing!

After I sent the second certified letter, we have received no further communications from Allied. I have a copy of the original insurance claim, and it's now been over 3 years since the date the supposed loss was discovered. Unless google is wrong (which I would love for a lawyer to tell me), New Hampshire has a 3 year statue of limitations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

gently caress the police, and that's legal advice

Do you have any resources for responsible vigilantism?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
YouTube. Search Term: “Free Man of the Land”. Or “how to not create joinder”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It's Freeman On the Land, if you don't use the correct incantation the admiralty magic won't work.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFszIwP9yo

This man is my favorite.

He employs the foolproof approach of commandeering the courtroom, and as a non-lawyer I highly endorse this method.

quote:

Those men were charged by me right back by staging an overthrow of the constitution of 1789 and the overthrow of the bill of rights and overthrow of my rights to forage for food as a natural living person who was in hunger. I was searching for something to put in my stomach as I am recognized to be allowed to do by universal law

You keep interrupting me and I'm going to charge you with contempt and you'll go to jail- Contempt of court is spelled c-o-double-n and I know about conning that's navigation.

I never plead, animals plead. Sounds like baaaaa, oink oink.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Devor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFszIwP9yo

This man is my favorite.

He employs the foolproof approach of commandeering the courtroom, and as a non-lawyer I highly endorse this method.

That method only works in courtrooms the size of closets, where "hearing officers" preside over whatever preliminary nonsense was at stake in that video.

Try to commandeer or walk out of a real-life Federal admiralty courtroom and see how long you end up in a cell.

But yeah that guy is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCoUCI0eSKI

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That method only works in courtrooms the size of closets, where "hearing officers" preside over whatever preliminary nonsense was at stake in that video.

Try to commandeer or walk out of a real-life Federal admiralty courtroom and see how long you end up in a cell.

But yeah that guy is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCoUCI0eSKI

This One Weird TrickTM for exposing the corrupt system with positive law - they cannot restrain a man over whom they have no jurisdiction!*

*Serves 43 days for Assault, Contempt of Court, and Driving with an Invalid License, talks about taking a plea deal for the other charges.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Sounds like calling the cops would be even more effective in that case.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't even understand the whole sovereign citizen poo poo. even if you pretend you're not a citizen of the us or whatever, what the gently caress does that matter? as far as I know, visitors to foreign countries aren't allowed to become criminal masterminds just because they aren't citizens.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't even understand the whole sovereign citizen poo poo. even if you pretend you're not a citizen of the us or whatever, what the gently caress does that matter? as far as I know, visitors to foreign countries aren't allowed to become criminal masterminds just because they aren't citizens.

When I was born I did NOT consent to follow the laws of man

If you go to another country it's the same as where you were born, it's not just their country it's every country

There have to be sovcit expats right??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s crazy but it’s also deeply imbedded in white supremacist terrorist culture. Sov Cits have been conducting terrorist activities for decades now. They don’t get lots of national attention. You can guess why.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think i saw a video of a cop getting gunned down by some sovcit guys over a traffic stop, he was just loving wailing. it was honestly really horrific.

there definitely seems to be a lot of legitimately mentally ill people, but it wouldn't surprise me either to learn it's also a bunch of white power degenerates, either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wikipedias article is actually pretty well researched

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen_movement

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

homullus posted:

Better Call Gaul

Yessssss

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Yea ok I get it

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 15, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The key thing to understand about the sovcit perspective is that the sovcit (who is often incredibly ignorant of how legal anything works) is desperate to believe a) there is a way out of their situation, and b) that they are not a bad person. They are able to rationalize and accept anything to be able to maintain that belief. Their first exposure to the complexity and imperfection and sheer inhumanity of the legal system is when they are already too late to reverse course, when they are already indicted or under order or indebted. In that period, in the grips of gut -crushing fear and self-doubt, as they are placed into some part of the legal system...

...a door opens, and they are free. Everything makes sense, they are good people, and there is a way out for them. It has to be real. It has to work. It has to work. There is nothing else, no other option. It becomes foundational to their personality and their identity, an assumption that lets them carry on functioning.

Related patterns explain why prison populations are hotbeds of anti-government conspiracy theories, and just the formentation of conspiracy theories in general. FUD magick.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 15, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Imagine that the notion of law is just a vague idea that seems to unfairly interact with the worst parts of your life. You're deeply suspicious of the government. You might listen to Alex Jones. Lawyers, which are mostly characters you see on TV, basically appear to be some sort of sorcerer wielding arcane, reality-altering magicks by invoking mysterious words of power--usually to take stuff from you! You decide that enough is enough. There has to be a way to fight back against these power-hungry madmen. But you aren't sophisticated enough to get a real handle on what's going on; legal codes, court cases, and governance appear to be an enormous, incoherent mishmash of arbitrary ideas (this much is basically true) that you cannot hope to navigate. Fortunately, someone has been here before. The sovereign citizen movement is here to help. They cut through the bullshit and provide simple answers to your complex questions. Unfortunately, those answers happen to be insane, but the simplicity is oh so appealing, and their rhetoric meshes well with your paranoid worldview.

Traditionally, this special help came in the form of pamphlets and word of mouth (such pamphlets are prized possessions in the legal community), but recently the internet has made it easier than ever to convey these very important, very simple strategies for fighting back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It appears they become white Christian supremacists first and then adopt sov cit garbage as part of that lifestyle but you also may be right.

It might be a chicken or the egg thing.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 15, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vox Nihili posted:

Imagine that the notion of law is just a vague idea that seems to unfairly interact with the worst parts of your life. You're deeply suspicious of the government. You might listen to Alex Jones. Lawyers, which are mostly characters you see on TV, basically appear to be some sort of sorcerer wielding arcane, reality-altering magicks by invoking mysterious words of power--usually to take stuff from you! You decide that enough is enough. There has to be a way to fight back against these power-hungry madmen. But you aren't sophisticated enough to get a real handle on what's going on; legal codes, court cases, and governance appear to be an enormous, incoherent mishmash of arbitrary ideas (this much is basically true) that you cannot hope to navigate. Fortunately, someone has been here before. The sovereign citizen movement is here to help. They cut through the bullshit and provide simple answers to your complex questions. Unfortunately, those answers happen to be insane, but the simplicity is oh so appealing, and their rhetoric meshes well with your paranoid worldview.

Traditionally, this special help came in the form of pamphlets and word of mouth (such pamphlets are prized possessions in the legal community), but recently the internet has made it easier than ever to convey these very important, very simple strategies for fighting back.

This is the core of the engine that drives it, but it started with a variety of "Learn the Legal Secrets to avoid paying income tax and have all your dreams come true! All explained in this convenient pamphlet for only $29.99!!" type scams that took off and got turbocharged / went self-perpetuating viral when the Internet hit.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

A big part of problem is that most people, yourself included, don't even understand the freeman's ideology. The ABA is an extremely powerful, protectionist organization, and they're out there running NONSTOP interference trying to make freemen who attempt to take the law into their own hands look bad. Look at these f*cking hitpieces run by an allegedly "neutral" organization:

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/sovereign_citizens_plaster_courts_with_bogus_legal_filings/
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/former_subway_pitchman_tries_sovereign_citizen_approach
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/jury_convicts_sovereign_citizen_of_filing_false_liens_against_federal_judge
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/helpless_sap_gets_10_years_for_bogus_liens_on_federal_judge_and_prosecutor
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/posner_informs_pro_se_litigant_that_the_queen_of_england_did_not_absolve_hi

Look at the PEJORATIVE, needless language the ABA journal throws around. A freeman isn't just wrong in the eyes of the ABA, he's "HAPLESS." A pro se litigant isn't just wrong in the eyes of the ABA, he's "UNINTELLIGIBLE." These aren't the words of a neutral authority -- they're the words of a guild trying to prevent the free market (the PUBLIC in this case) from competing fairly with guild members.

Almost everything you know -- or "think" you know -- about the freeman movement comes from drivel you're fed by the ABA and its stooges (aka the 10.3 million lawyers currently infesting the united states). Do a little research sometime on non-ABA associated sites and you might understand the ideology a little better.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is the core of the engine that drives it, but it started with a variety of "Learn the Legal Secrets to avoid paying income tax and have all your dreams come true! All explained in this convenient pamphlet for only $29.99!!" type scams that took off and got turbocharged / went self-perpetuating viral when the Internet hit.

This. It’s an offshoot if the idiots running around saying “there actually isn’t any law that says you have to pay income tax!” when the law that says you have to pay income tax is §1 of the internal revenue code.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Soothing Vapors posted:

A big part of problem is that most people, yourself included, don't even understand the freeman's ideology. The ABA is an extremely powerful, protectionist organization, and they're out there running NONSTOP interference trying to make freemen who attempt to take the law into their own hands look bad. Look at these f*cking hitpieces run by an allegedly "neutral" organization:

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/sovereign_citizens_plaster_courts_with_bogus_legal_filings/
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/former_subway_pitchman_tries_sovereign_citizen_approach
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/jury_convicts_sovereign_citizen_of_filing_false_liens_against_federal_judge
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/helpless_sap_gets_10_years_for_bogus_liens_on_federal_judge_and_prosecutor
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/posner_informs_pro_se_litigant_that_the_queen_of_england_did_not_absolve_hi

Look at the PEJORATIVE, needless language the ABA journal throws around. A freeman isn't just wrong in the eyes of the ABA, he's "HAPLESS." A pro se litigant isn't just wrong in the eyes of the ABA, he's "UNINTELLIGIBLE." These aren't the words of a neutral authority -- they're the words of a guild trying to prevent the free market (the PUBLIC in this case) from competing fairly with guild members.

Almost everything you know -- or "think" you know -- about the freeman movement comes from drivel you're fed by the ABA and its stooges (aka the 10.3 million lawyers currently infesting the united states). Do a little research sometime on non-ABA associated sites and you might understand the ideology a little better.

Which Freeman guide teaches about shooting cops. I want to avoid that one in case it puts me on a watchlist

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Devor posted:

Which Freeman guide teaches about shooting cops. I want to avoid that one in case it puts me on a watchlist

"I'm not threatening you, officer. I'm just exercising my rights under UCC 2-206 by offering to ship conforming goods of bullets your way at high velocity and hoping you accept them!"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is this a joke? Did I get whooshed?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

GamingHyena posted:

"I'm not threatening you, officer. I'm just exercising my rights under UCC 2-206 by offering to ship conforming goods of bullets your way at high velocity and hoping you accept them!"

Lmao

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VanSandman posted:

Soothing Vapors is always serious.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Needs more words randomly capitalized.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

Lawyers . . . are . . . sorcerer[s] wielding arcane, reality-altering magicks by invoking mysterious words of power--usually to take stuff from you!
This is basically true

Soothing Vapors posted:

One of these is concerns posner, who pretends to be a friend of the humble and majestic pro se, but is really a spy for the guild ready to pounce on those who learn the inner secrets. Beware!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

VanSandman posted:

Soothing Vapors is Robert Mueller.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
If you want to know real lawyer secrets, then check this out, they don't want you to know about it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Huh, TIL. Delta awarded.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fender posted:

I was wearing sandals and was flat footed and barely made contact.

Mods? Thread title. Is that too long?

Also.....I have the right to forage for food when I am hungry.

Hoshi posted:

When I was born I did NOT consent to follow the laws of man

And this is my attorney of record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZiqwRnwtM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

drat, I don't think I can afford that dude