Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Something Offal posted:

Posted a question the second half of my post, sorry for the ninja edit. Could you answer? Curious as to what job types are readily available beyond 'technical writer' which is a little niche and I don't think pays stem-level wages. Though the average salary for that title is $70k which isn't bad.

I don't think MBA-only positions qualify as readily available roles because the MBA is a prerequisite, and I would qualify that as a business pedigree regardless of what your BA/BS was.

Tech Writer, production support (If you have hard technical skills too), Product Management, Technical Project Management, Scrum Master, User-Experience (with some design and some technical skills). Then there's the management chain on all these orgs, where humanities-type people frequently more prepared to do. I work and have worked with people in these roles who had backgrounds in English, History, Philosophy who all did quite well, some who were at the executive level in software companies.

Almost any job you have requires skills beyond "Has a Degree", so you'd need to build some hard skills, but you don't require a 4 year STEM degree to do that stuff I posted (also see my other post above this one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The numbers bear out that humanities grads find employment but at a lower rate than other degrees, and their salaries are also lower.

My anecdote is that during the years immediately following the GFC, a BA didn't mean poo poo. I'm glad that hasn't been universal.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Brutal, Jesus. My sister in law recently finished her 7 year art history PhD program and hopefully isn't facing such awful prospects.
If she has a thirst for knowledge and studied sculpture at St Martin's college and her dad is loaded then I'll have a rum and coca cola.

Otherwise, yeesh.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Does a financial investigator qualify as STEM, then?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CannonFodder posted:

If she has a thirst for knowledge and studied sculpture at St Martin's college and her dad is loaded then I'll have a rum and coca cola.

Otherwise, yeesh.

She lives in Baltimore and financially supports her deadbeat parents! Rad.

(her husband's title is "Project Manager and Section Supervisor for the Applied Neuroscience area of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory’s Research and Exploratory Development Department" so at least it sounds like he's got a high paying job... Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The thread often mentions the financial scammers who surround military bases, especially for terrible car loans. In response to these predatory businesses, the US government is taking action to help protect the shady auto dealers.

quote:

The Trump administration is taking aim at a law designed to protect military service members from getting cheated by shady lending practices.

NPR has obtained documents that show the White House is proposing changes that critics say would leave service members vulnerable to getting ripped off when they buy cars. Separately, the administration is taking broader steps to roll back enforcement of the Military Lending Act.

quote:

The product Peterson is referring to is called gap insurance. Here's how it works: Cars lose some of their value the moment they are driven off the lot. Dealers often tell customers that if their car gets wrecked in a crash they could be financially harmed because regular insurance may not pay out the entire amount owed on the loan. Peterson says some car dealers push this insurance product really hard. "They convince people they've got to have this gap insurance," he says.

That kind of insurance can actually be inexpensive. Peterson, who helped write the regulations for the Defense Department, says it often costs as little as $20 to $30 a year and is available from a car buyer's regular insurance company.

"But if you buy it from your car dealer, they may mark it up. ... I've seen gap insurance policies being sold for $1,500" over the course of the loan, he says.

The rules to protect service members effectively block auto dealers from tacking on an extra product — such as overpriced gap insurance — and rolling it into their car loans.

The industry has been lobbying to change that, and the White House appears to be sympathetic. The administration just sent the latest version of a proposal to the Defense Department, and documents show that it would give car dealers what they want.

quote:

Meanwhile, critics say that another change in the works would more broadly weaken the enforcement of the Military Lending Act. It involves Mick Mulvaney, the Trump administration's acting director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Under Mulvaney, the bureau is planning to halt regular monitoring of payday lenders and other firms to see whether they are violating the act and cheating military personnel.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/13/637992389/white-house-takes-aim-at-financial-protections-for-military

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It'd be nice if those protections were rolled out to, you know, everybody.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gap insurance is something a lot of auto insurers offer, even, and I'd wager most of the people who fall victim to the dealer scam already have it from GEICO or whoever.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The problem with choosing your major is that you need to choose a major that's going to be profitable ten years from now, which may or may not be the same as majors that are profitable now. I don't know if we're looking at a STEM glut, but there's no real way to know right now. Just ask most of my classmates who went to law school.

When people were saying "just get any college degree, and you'll make a bunch more money," that was largely actually true; it just wasn't by the time a lot of those people got out of school (or shortly thereafter).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't know any underemployed GOOD lawyers...

As always, the key to success is to not suck

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't know any underemployed GOOD lawyers...

As always, the key to success is to not suck

Can't help but agree given that the inverse of this principle is borne out by your posts itt.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

e: nvm, dumber than usual joke.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Can't help but agree given that the inverse of this principle is borne out by your posts itt.

I'm assuming from this wordy mess that you're saying I suck.

Not very Mr Rogers-esque of you

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

Lots of people just want to say "I'm smart, I can learn fast", but hiring managers like me don't really want to just take your word for it. Spend some time and actually learn something and have something to show for it (and know it enough to be able to answer questions/defend it) and we'll overlook the "wrong" degree and see that breadth of soft skills as a big plus.
This is my biggest loving pet peeve about interviewing people. Show; don't tell. They tell me how awesome they are at X, but I ask them a question about X and they can't answer it.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Thanatosian posted:

I don't know if we're looking at a STEM glut, but there's no real way to know right now.

We seem to be driving ourselves into one if the multiple 10-20 week $10k coding trade schools (“boot camps”) that have partnered with loan companies (similar to how Uber partners with subprime auto lenders) is anything to judge by.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm assuming from this wordy mess that you're saying I suck.

Not very Mr Rogers-esque of you

You've cracked it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol, cool, I have a nemesis. I don't believe I've seen you post in BFC before but I'm excited to watch our rivalry blossom.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
MoviePass's continued existence counts as BWM, and their latest "stay alive" trick seems downright scammy.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/14/moviepass-uncancels-accounts-so-shady/

They're retroactively un-cancelling people's memberships.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

It'd be nice if those protections were rolled out to, you know, everybody.

Then they could roll them back too like they are proposing for the Military ones.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

MoviePass's continued existence counts as BWM, and their latest "stay alive" trick seems downright scammy.

That's amazing. The death throes of lovely companies are always fun.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The company's float is now around $300k and dropping. Anyone smell a goon project?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Imagine four tubs of popcorn at the edge of a cliff

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

The company's float is now around $300k and dropping. Anyone smell a goon project?

What, so we can financially support ANOTHER ill-conceived relic of a dying era of media and entertainment?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

hailthefish posted:

What, so we can financially support ANOTHER ill-conceived relic of a dying era of media and entertainment?

Buy a NordVPN account today!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Colin Mockery posted:

We seem to be driving ourselves into one if the multiple 10-20 week $10k coding trade schools (“boot camps”) that have partnered with loan companies (similar to how Uber partners with subprime auto lenders) is anything to judge by.

For what it's worth, I'm under the impression that most code "bootcamps" are valued far below an actual CS degree. The best ones tend to be selective and often target people already in the software development industry. Most aren't much better than self-educating. Many are downright scams promising an easy path to cushy jobs with 6 figure incomes but failing to deliver. Until there is a better system of regulation/accreditation I don't think bootcamps alone will change the job prospects of CS grads.

On the other hand, I have a feeling we will eventually see a glut of CS degree graduates as we push kids more and more towards it. That likely goes for other STEM degrees as well. Most of the last generation told their children college degrees were the ticket to a good life. I think many of this generation will tell their children STEM degrees are the ticket.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The general perception of coding bootcamps has totally cratered within the tech community. 5 years ago when they were more selective and rigorous they might have been viewed more favorably, but that whole industry has raced to the bottom so quickly they make for-profit colleges look reputable.

Most of them are borderline scams at this point and will do more harm to your resume than good. The couple people I know who did them a few years back have wiped them off their resume entirely now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Barry posted:

That's amazing. The death throes of lovely companies are always fun.

It didn't help that Alamo Drafthouse recently started notifying its customers of a moviepass-like plan in the works.

At least, I got a wait list invite in the Alamo app last time I checked it. Haven't gotten anything since, including prices, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be BWM levels of expensive since it's supposed to allow something like a movie a day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

It didn't help that Alamo Drafthouse recently started notifying its customers of a moviepass-like plan in the works.

At least, I got a wait list invite in the Alamo app last time I checked it. Haven't gotten anything since, including prices, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be BWM levels of expensive since it's supposed to allow something like a movie a day.
AMC is doing the same thing, three movies a week.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I bet they're planning on a gym-like structure. Offer more movies than 95% of people will go see so that people are paying more than if they just paid piecemeal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I bet they're planning on a gym-like structure. Offer more movies than 95% of people will go see so that people are paying more than if they just paid piecemeal.

Yeah, they're not idiots, and most of the cost for movie outings for me and Dr. FAUXTON is in the food and drink.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
A coworker told me about how his underemployed brother finally got a job in his field two years after finishing his masters. Before moving to start working at the new job, for some reason he took advice from his BWM and bought a new car and signed a lease (both of which required multiple family co-signers) for a very large apartment in the city he's moving to without calculating what his actual take home would be every paycheck. Turns out rent plus car payment equals around $2000 a month and his take home is $800 month, so he's automatically $1k+ in the hole every month not taking into account student loan payments, gas, insurance, etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

William Munny posted:

A coworker told me about how his underemployed brother finally got a job in his field two years after finishing his masters. Before moving to start working at the new job, for some reason he took advice from his BWM and bought a new car and signed a lease (both of which required multiple family co-signers) for a very large apartment in the city he's moving to without calculating what his actual take home would be every paycheck. Turns out rent plus car payment equals around $2000 a month and his take home is $800 month, so he's automatically $1k+ in the hole every month not taking into account student loan payments, gas, insurance, etc.

drat that sucks, how long until he's above water on the car?

I bet it's one that never goes into the black, that's the catch isn't it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Roommates and Uber. He’s going to need lots of roommates and lots of Uber.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

FAUXTON posted:

drat that sucks, how long until he's above water on the car?

I bet it's one that never goes into the black, that's the catch isn't it.

Yep, brand new crossover of some sort and I think the loan is no money down and 84 months.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't......I can't.....what the gently caress. I mean I know this is a thing now, but..............

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

At this rate of inflation, someday I'm going to get a 420 month car loan!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

William Munny posted:

Yep, brand new crossover of some sort and I think the loan is no money down and 84 months.

Oh my god.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

If you wanted I bet you could find a place now where you could get a 69 month loan for $420 a month. Live your dreams today!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

30-year loans are considered part of the American birthright when it comes to houses, why not cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you wanted I bet you could find a place now where you could get a 69 month loan for $420 a month. Live your dreams today!
Shut your loving mouth and show me where to sign!