Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

joylessdivision posted:

(It's just not the only_________ in the world besides________and that's somehow terrifying to boomers.)

It's like madlibs. What else are the Olds needlessly terrified of?

Seriously though boomers can get hosed.

Let's see... Country / America, Economic System / Capitalism, Style / Realism, Music / Dad Rock, Religion / Christianity, Beer / Pilsner or Lager...

...yeah, this works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

It's like madlibs. What else are the Olds needlessly terrified of?

Seriously though boomers can get hosed.

Like it all boils down to "When I was happy and not worried, things were like this. Now things have changed and I am unhappy and worried. Obviously, if we just change it all back, things will once again be good and I will be happy and not worried."

Thus has it always been, thus will it always be when you hit middle age.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Its death started almost 10 years ago with the beginning of the Miracle Whip revolution

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/8xmsj4/the-colbert-report-the-mayo-lution-will-not-be-televised

What IS Miracle Whip? I've only heard about it on TV shows, I kinda assumed it was a dessert thing like Angel Delight? But then I saw that recipe for Jelly with Olives so now I'm scared of American food.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

What IS Miracle Whip? I've only heard about it on TV shows, I kinda assumed it was a dessert thing like Angel Delight? But then I saw that recipe for Jelly with Olives so now I'm scared of American food.

It's a spread like mayo, but sweet and a little tangy. You usually pair it with savory stuff. I like it with canned tuna, but not anything else. A lot people think it's just mayo but with sugar and don't like it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Belgian Mayo is awesome on fries.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Aramoro posted:

After a quick googling, because I also didn't know, it seems like Miracle Whip is basically just differently flavored mayo that doesn't meet the US standards for being called mayonnaise.

Also, all this mayo talk is reminding me of some story from a few months ago where some mayo alternative called itself :airquote:Mayo:airquote: or something, and actual mayonnaise companies tried to sue them for not meeting US standards for mayonnaise. Does anybody else remember this or am I crazy?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
excuse me we upgraded to aioli some time ago

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Zedd posted:

Belgian Mayo is awesome on fries.

I'm belgian and I dont know what makes belgian mayo belgian. It's just eggs, oil, mustardseeds and sometimes lemon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The whole stupid article is about how angry she is Millennials don't like mayo, but then she ends it with admitting in a very sardonic way that they do like mayo. That just amps the worthlessness of this article from 11/10 to ∞/10

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SpacePig posted:

After a quick googling, because I also didn't know, it seems like Miracle Whip is basically just differently flavored mayo that doesn't meet the US standards for being called mayonnaise.

Also, all this mayo talk is reminding me of some story from a few months ago where some mayo alternative called itself :airquote:Mayo:airquote: or something, and actual mayonnaise companies tried to sue them for not meeting US standards for mayonnaise. Does anybody else remember this or am I crazy?

You’re thinking of this, although a few months are actually a few years https://money.cnn.com/2015/12/17/news/companies/just-mayo-fda-egg/index.html

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Arivia posted:

You’re thinking of this, although a few months are actually a few years https://money.cnn.com/2015/12/17/news/companies/just-mayo-fda-egg/index.html

Gosh, 2015, huh? I've lost all concept of time, I guess. Thanks for reminding me of what it exactly was, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mad Wack posted:

excuse me we upgraded to aioli some time ago

Excuse me, but aioli is just too dang spicy. Yes, I'm white. Why are you asking?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Aiolis are gross and vastly inferior to every other condiment, except mayo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Excuse me, but aioli is just too dang spicy. Yes, I'm white. Why are you asking?

Ah you're American? (Judging by the fact that you don't consider Spanish people to be white.)

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Serious question what is aioli. Also one time I started making a sandwich but realized I was out of :siren: MAYO :siren: so I used hummus on one piece of bread and guacamole on the other and that sandwich was bangin'

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Serious question what is aioli. Also one time I started making a sandwich but realized I was out of :siren: MAYO :siren: so I used hummus on one piece of bread and guacamole on the other and that sandwich was bangin'

Aioli basically is mayo with a bunch of garlic in it so it automatically tastes and is better than normal boring stupid mayo.

There's probably some other pedantic reason beyond that someone will mention.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ah you're American? (Judging by the fact that you don't consider Spanish people to be white.)

Spanish food is great but I would hesitate to call it "spicy"

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
The only good thing about miracle whip is this piece of art. https://youtu.be/TJU08AaqP7I

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Like it all boils down to "When I was happy and not worried, things were like this. Now things have changed and I am unhappy and worried. Obviously, if we just change it all back, things will once again be good and I will be happy and not worried."

Thus has it always been, thus will it always be when you hit middle age.

I feel like the best way to avoid this problem is to not be such a god drat baby about poo poo changing :shrug: seems simple enough to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1029405362745745410

quote:

By then, Pamphlet Anon, whose real name is Coleman Rogers, had developed grander plans. (NBC was able to determine Rogers’ identity through property records that link the address where his business is registered to his parent’s home and to photos from his personal social media account. Those photos show him to be the same person who appears on YouTube as Pamphlet Anon.)

Rogers did not respond to calls seeking comment, but acknowledged his receipt of messages from NBC News via his website’s Twitter, writing in part, “WE DO NOT TALK TO FAKE NEWS.”

Kicked off Reddit, Rogers hatched a new plan. He would replace the mainstream media — often a target of Q’s posts — with a constantly streaming YouTube network made up of the self-described “researchers” who were putting together Q’s clues.

Within a month, Rogers, 31, and his wife, Christina Urso, 29, had launched the Patriots’ Soapbox, a round-the-clock livestreamed YouTube channel for Qanon study and discussion. The channel is, in effect, a broadcast of a Discord chatroom with constant audio commentary from a rotating cast of volunteers and moderators with sporadic appearances by Rogers and Urso. In April, Urso registered Patriots’ Soapbox LLC in Virginia.

Rogers and Urso use their channel to call for donations that are accepted through PayPal, cryptocurrencies or mail.

Idiots defrauding idiots. The (very good) article posits that the whole Qanon thing was invented whole cloth by 2 4channers and a conservative vlogger.

Of course:

quote:

“The funniest thing about those who try to discredit Q. They focus on whether Q is real or not, instead of the information being provided,” tweeted one follower. “NO ONE cares who Q is. WE care about the TRUTH.”

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Aug 14, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Spanish food is great but I would hesitate to call it "spicy"

I knew a dude from Wisconsin who thought that ketchup was too spicy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Magna Kaser posted:

Aioli basically is mayo with a bunch of garlic in it so it automatically tastes and is better than normal boring stupid mayo.

There's probably some other pedantic reason beyond that someone will mention.

It's made of olive oil, rather than eggs. :)

e: Also, I had come here to post millennial mayo panic, so this is my next best, which is explaining mayo

cash crab has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Aug 14, 2018

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SpacePig posted:

My best friend's favorite childhood food was peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches, and just the thought makes me want to gag.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

nerd plus rage posted:

The only good thing about miracle whip is this piece of art. https://youtu.be/TJU08AaqP7I

what in the world

:gonk:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

10 Beers posted:

My best friend's favorite childhood food was peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches, and just the thought makes me want to gag.

Pastry of the Year posted:

what in the world

:gonk:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

quote:

I’ve been watching Fallout videos and wonder for my vegan friends and I: what would you do? In the game after the bombs fall your character, and the NPCs eat things like Brahmin (2 headed cow), iguana bits, squirrel bits, crickets, gatorclaw/Deathclaw/Mirelurk steaks, grilled nukalurk/radroach/mirelurk/iguana, roaster ant/bloodworm/mirelurk, mystery bacon and jerky. Sometimes you can eat/craft a highly irradiated plants and pure water is hard to come by. When exploring the Wastes there’s nothing but dead trees and plants so I would think even if you did find seeds and try to plant and water them with dirty (irradiated) water they would most likely die before they even sprout due to the irradiation not only in the air but the water they’re given and the soil being dead and unusable. In the game though there’s a place called Oasis filled with beautiful green trees and soil that’s good to plant seeds in, but that’s the only place in all Fallout games like that? Would you stay vegan even in an nuclear apocalypse with mutated animals and humans always trying to kill you? Or wander the wastes and survive purely off irradiated plants that are still alive somehow and purified or dirty water, collecting hundreds of seeds and hoping to find an area that wasn’t affected and killed off by the bombs? There’s a lot of scenarios and people do anything to survive especially in that scenario! Even if it means resorting to cannibalism, stealing, and prostitution. On normal modes in the game you don’t have to eat or drink water you can just play the game and do the quests and follow the storyline, however there is a Survival mode which is brutal and you have to constantly eat, drink, make sure you sleep enough all while dealing with the dangers that fly/wander the Wastes. Usually people die within a week or so unless they actually know what they’re doing and have played the game a lot but if you’re a novice player Survival mode is impossible as you take fewer hits to take down, can’t carry near as much and have to monitor your needs constantly so you don’t die of thirst, starvation, exposure, or sleep deprivation. The world would be very different and the pockets of humanity that are alive and form towns and cities would be few a far in between. Sometimes you can find mints and pancake mixes from the old world in the game for food but that’s about it besides expired cans of beans and soups from looted grocery stores.
There’s also the case that you might be a vault dweller like a lot of our characters start out as in the games! Would you be able to be vegan or vegetarian in a vault environment or just be lucky you’re sheltered and have food to eat once or even twice a day whereas the people in the outside world might eat once every couple days or so? It’s a lot to consider and think about 😂 I personally wouldn’t be focused on being vegan but just surviving day by day making sure I don’t die by the stings of bloatflies and radroaches or bites of mirelurks and molerats. I’d be focused on finding a place to live, how to make money now and keeping my radiation exposure to a minimum. I think for a lot people too they would eat the enemies they kill out in the Wastes. However whatever you eat; be it a strange plant or iguana bits, you will gain a small amount of radiation. Of course this can be fixed with medicine but the medicine can also be addictive. Unlike real life tho, in the game if you get addicted to something like Jet, Rad-X, or another medicine/drug you just go to the doctor and are all fixed up magically.

I think by the end of it all and in the dire situation humans find themselves when placed in an apocalyptic world, since food can be expensive to buy, they would just eat the mutated animals that attacked them on their adventures in order to stay alive since plants are only, game wise, found in bayous where giant alligators live along with other deadly creatures that can kill your character in a couple hits even with good armour and strong weapons and don’t offer much or no nutritional value or fill your character up very much hunger or health wise. Sorry about this giant post but I am curious to see what people who are vegan, vegetarian, or pescatarian would do in this scenario of a dead and irradiated world?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The whole stupid article is about how angry she is Millennials don't like mayo, but then she ends it with admitting in a very sardonic way that they do like mayo. That just amps the worthlessness of this article from 11/10 to ∞/10

Yeah but they're not liking it in the right way!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Miracle Whip isn't differently flavored mayo, its basically the mayo version of margarine. It's fake mayo gosh darn it. That's why it sucks. Margarine also loving sucks.

gently caress celery too, in case that was this thread.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

e: Also, I had come here to post millennial mayo panic, so this is my next best, which is explaining

Sorry but this super wrong. The difference between mayo and aioli is the emulsifier, the thing used to keep the oil and acid from seperating. Mayo uses egg, and traditional aioli uses garlic. But garlic is a lovely emulsifier, so modern chefs just add some egg making a mayo/aioli hybrid sauce.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

cash crab posted:

e: Also, I had come here to post millennial mayo panic, so this is my next best, which is explaining mayo

Huh. I was going to say "don't be silly, of course it has eggs as well as olive oil" but it turns out only some modern variants have eggs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Celery is good for bloody marys, chicken soup and hitting people with.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

There are worse in the article.

There's even a reference to millennials eating detergent pods, because of course there is.

quote:

This attitude [that mayonnaise is gross] comes to you from young people who willingly slurp down eight kazillion kinds of yogurt, not to mention raw fish and pork belly and, yo, detergent pods, so don’t talk to me about mayonnaise. The only reason for this raging mayophobia is a generation’s gut-level renouncement of the Greatest Generation’s condiment of choice.

Also she mentions sriracha as some sort of antithesis of mayonnaise even though sriracha mayo is actually a thing.

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Aug 14, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

there wolf posted:

Sorry but this super wrong. The difference between mayo and aioli is the emulsifier, the thing used to keep the oil and acid from seperating. Mayo uses egg, and traditional aioli uses garlic. But garlic is a lovely emulsifier, so modern chefs just add some egg making a mayo/aioli hybrid sauce.

Is this what they mean in descriptions where it's called a "garlic aioli spread" rather than just calling it aioli?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There are stronger mayo opinions on these dead forums than that mayo lovin lady could ever have.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Not raw fish! How terrible and un-American!

My favourite part of the article is "my daughter took women's studies so of course she hates mayo."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's funny because sushi often has mayonnaise in it.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
At my workplace aioli dip is named aioli dip when we're doing stock counts, but on the actual product itself it's just called roasted garlic spread and it took me far too long to realise there was a correlation between the two :downs:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

Is this what they mean in descriptions where it's called a "garlic aioli spread" rather than just calling it aioli?

No idea. I don't know how prescriptivist the term is, but it looks like the inclusion of egg yolk to further stabilize the mixture varies by region in Italy and France so probably not. Garlic aioli spread just sounds like someone trying to explain what it is to people that would have no clue that aioli= garlic.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

there wolf posted:

*sniffling as I toss my "things I know about cooking" book into a fire* oh, I see

Anyway, I don't know if the whole Elon Musk and dropping acid thing while Grimes asks for a threesome thing has been posted yet but

https://twitter.com/sadhoeflo/statu...-explained.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very postworthy