Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Hollywood accounting" has less to do with tax avoidance and more to do with minimizing the payment to profit participants (star actors, producers) and any person or company involved who receives extra payment or bonuses based on net profit milestones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Didn't Universal put out a thing claiming they lost money on every single Harry Potter movie? Because after you lose a bunch of money on a film the smart thing is to make 7 more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they made the Harry Potter movies to get into jk Rowling’s pants because they made it up with the theme parks liscence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Universal put out a thing claiming they lost money on every single Harry Potter movie? Because after you lose a bunch of money on a film the smart thing is to make 7 more of them.

Lord of the Rings sunk New Line!

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll definitely check em out!!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Quick question, watching Legend (1985) for the first time. Should I see the director's cut or the theatrical cut? Usually I'd just go with the former, but I saw that the latter had a Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Almost Blue posted:

Quick question, watching Legend (1985) for the first time. Should I see the director's cut or the theatrical cut? Usually I'd just go with the former, but I saw that the latter had a Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

It's been forever since I've seen it and I don't remember which version I saw, but I think you gotta go with the Tangerine Dream.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Are there other Ridley Scott movies as optimistic as The Martian?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
No. I can't really remember A Good Year though, so maybe that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Coaaab posted:

Are there other Ridley Scott movies as optimistic as The Martian?

Gladiator posits a world where an expert murderer can guide a bloodthirsty mob to social progress. Also, where an afterlife exists, and mass murderers who really miss their families are allowed in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The cat lives in Alien, that's nice.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The happy ending of blade runner?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Almost Blue posted:

Don’t waste your time with either. If you must watch it, just ff through any scene without tits, Danny Devito, or Tim Curry.

There are no tits or Danny Devito in this movie.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Wrong thread

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 19, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Skwirl posted:

It's been forever since I've seen it and I don't remember which version I saw, but I think you gotta go with the Tangerine Dream.
The Director's Cut is even longer and more boring (although it does add a bit of extra Tim Curry), and Jerry Goldsmith's score is surprisingly cliched. Go with the theatrical cut. Or better yet, just listen to the soundtrack on Youtube and do an image search for Tim Curry.

Remulak posted:

Don’t waste your time with either. If you must watch it, just ff through any scene without tits, Danny Devito, or Tim Curry.

There are no tits or Danny Devito in this movie.
For a hot second I was wondering if I'd missed something amazing in the Director's Cut. No, no I had not.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I did end up going with the theatrical cut due to Skwirl's suggestion. I thought it was fun, but not great. Tim Curry is fantastic though. I'll have to check out the director's cut eventually but I think Tangerine Dream was a huge reason why I enjoyed it.

I will say that if Danny DeVito played one of the dwarves or whatever with zero makeup, it would've been an enormous improvement.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Read the Wikipedia article for further entertainment:

quote:

Scott's first cut of Legend ran 125 minutes long and was intended to be a very unpleasant horror film. He then believed there were minor plot points that could be trimmed and cut the film down to 113 minutes, so he tested this version for an audience in Orange County. However, it was decided that the audience had to work too much to be entertained, and another 20 minutes was cut. The 95-minute version was shown in Great Britain and then the film was cut down even further to 89 minutes for North America.

At the time, Scott said, "European audiences are more sophisticated. They accepted preambles and subtleties whereas the U.S. goes for a much broader stroke." He and Universal delayed the North American theatrical release until 1986 so that they could replace Jerry Goldsmith's score with music by Tangerine Dream, Yes lead singer Jon Anderson, and Bryan Ferry.
The movie really had a lot going for it: cute young stars, an amazing villain, gorgeous set pieces, your choice of a serviceable cookie-cutter fantasy score* or a trancey-synth pop one...but it's just kind of empty, like much of 80s fantasy films.

* Of additional interest is that Goldsmith put a ton of work into the score, and even worked with the lyricist from the Carpenters to write several adorable little ballads that tied into the story and were sung by Mia Sara. They got cut from even the Director's Cut, I believe.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Shoot, double post. Well, here's a question: what are some kids' movies that have sad endings and/or have the hero(es) die at the end?

I can think of Iron Giant and Charlotte's Web right off the bat, and The Last Unicorn is bittersweet as hell. Others?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Any adaptation of The Little Prince.

And if you're counting The Iron Giant, about half a dozen Disney films where the hero ostensibly dies in the final confrontation would qualify as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best thing about Legend is that Link from The Legend of Zelda is actually based on Tom Cruise. So just think about that anytime you play a Zelda game.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Macaroni posted:

Shoot, double post. Well, here's a question: what are some kids' movies that have sad endings and/or have the hero(es) die at the end?

I can think of Iron Giant and Charlotte's Web right off the bat, and The Last Unicorn is bittersweet as hell. Others?

The ending of Time Bandits made me physically ill as a child

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Macaroni posted:

Pay It Forward.

Here's what you need to do: find a list of books that won the Newbery Medal, then check which ones were made into movies. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pay It Forward.

Oh wow, here's a film I haven't thought about in nearly fifteen years. I think that and Simon Birch (which incidentally also ends with the death of its protagonist) were our pastor's favourite films.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
loving My Girl.

morestuff posted:

I can’t remember the exact ending but the concentrated evil killing his parents, however awful they may have been, always screwed with me.

Also the macabre game show where the old lady couldn’t answer the question and her husband drowned upside down in quicksand.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can’t remember the exact ending but the concentrated evil killing his parents, however awful they may have been, always screwed with me.

Yeah, this bit. I haven't seen it since then so if they deserved it, I've forgotten that part

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh wow, here's a film I haven't thought about in nearly fifteen years.

Kevin Spacey was more ubiquitous in the late 90s than I'd realised and it's already weird looking back at it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

morestuff posted:

Ahaha, me too. :smith: To this day I still can't definitely state that this is a film actually intended for kids, but back in the 80s parents were just like "It has a kid and midgets, let's go see it!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bridge to Terabithia

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Yeah, this bit. I haven't seen it since then so if they deserved it, I've forgotten that part

Did you really spoiler me on Time Bandits?

They were endemic of what was wrong in that world in that they liked watching game shows where people died, fought all the time, and ignored their son. But they didn’t deserve that fate and it’s obvious their son loved them, which made the ending that much worse.

The movie had great visuals though. For years I really thought Napoleon had a gold hand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
One of the visuals that really struck me in Legend is that apart from a very few wide shots, the forest is 100% fabricated. They didn't go out into the woods and dress up an acre of land to look more fantastical, they just built a giant forest wholesale inside the studio.

I believe the DVD special features had a whole section about the construction of it, with some gorgeous walk and flythroughs of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pay It Forward.

Here's what you need to do: find a list of books that won the Newbery Medal, then check which ones were made into movies. :v:

Pay it Forward is one of the worst loving films, watched it with family and the ending was so calculated to be emotionally manipulative I got angry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had to watch it recently and it's insanely bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One of the visuals that really struck me in Legend is that apart from a very few wide shots, the forest is 100% fabricated. They didn't go out into the woods and dress up an acre of land to look more fantastical, they just built a giant forest wholesale inside the studio.

I believe the DVD special features had a whole section about the construction of it, with some gorgeous walk and flythroughs of it.
They were was supposed to be this massive tracking shot trough the entirety of the absolutely huge set but it burned down the night before they did it :(

The special features include a rough test version of it which is probably on YouTube somewhere but I couldn’t find it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Pay it Forward is one of the worst loving films, watched it with family and the ending was so calculated to be emotionally manipulative I got angry.

Oh, yes, it's not very good at all, it was just the first thing that occurred to me when I thought "kids' movie where the protagonist dies".

What was the name of that one where Macaulay Culkin gets stung to death by bees?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder might be married:
https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/18/wi...m_medium=social

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was the name of that one where Macaulay Culkin gets stung to death by bees?

Came up already - My Girl.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Alhazred posted:

Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder might be married:
https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/18/wi...m_medium=social

Yeah but I am pretty sure her flipping him over to New Path is grounds for divorce.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

The best thing about Legend is that Link from The Legend of Zelda is actually based on Tom Cruise. So just think about that anytime you play a Zelda game.

Yeah, there's actually a number of elements that feel like they inspired the Zelda games. Some of the stuff I noticed were the appearance of fairies is a lot like Navi, there's a bit where they reflect light off of a bunch of different shields that reminds me of the mirror temple, and Darkness looks pretty similar to monster Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In Yi Yi, why does the young Yang Yang jump into the swimming pool? Is he trying to win the attention of the swimming girl? Or trying to see things from her perspective?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

Yeah, there's actually a number of elements that feel like they inspired the Zelda games. Some of the stuff I noticed were the appearance of fairies is a lot like Navi, there's a bit where they reflect light off of a bunch of different shields that reminds me of the mirror temple, and Darkness looks pretty similar to monster Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time.

Navi was supposedly inspired by Tinkerbell from Peter Pan, alongside Link's costume and ears. But I'm sure like many things there were multiple inspirations at play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

morestuff posted:

I didn't make me ill but it was definitely my first :wtf: film ending, particularly with how firefighter Sean Connery just winks at the kid and drives off after his parents blow up.