Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aw hell, rolling into Seyda Neen and right into the governor's office is a big old nostalgia bomb, isn't it

Is there any way to do things "wrong" while leveling? Like are there side skills I need to make sure I learn or things like that? Or just quest away and have fun?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
You get a free scrolls for stat and skill respec at level 40-something now, and respec cost is proportional to your number of points allocated anyway, so you have plenty of outs if you screw something up.

Essential basic leveling stuff:

1. 90% of the good builds are either all stamina or all magicka, because damage-dealing or healing skills scale with either your max magicka or max stamina. Magicka builds use more class skills, stamina builds use more weapon skills.

2. Make sure you always have at least one skill from each of your class skill trees in your skill bar, to level those skill trees. When you get a second skill bar at level 15, you only earn exp for the stuff on the bar that is active, so you can level more efficiently by being careful about what's in your bar when you hand in a quest.

3. Join the Fighters' Guild ASAP, because while you still gain exp for other skill trees you don't have yet by meeting the criteria, fighter's guild is the major exception, and it can be a bit of a pain to grind.

4. If you want to be a tank: people will tell you "don't level as a tank," and I think this is misleading advice. Just don't limit yourself exclusively to tanking-related skills, because single-player combat will be slow and boring.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rollersnake posted:

2. Make sure you always have at least one skill from each of your class skill trees in your skill bar, to level those skill trees. When you get a second skill bar at level 15, you only earn exp for the stuff on the bar that is active, so you can level more efficiently by being careful about what's in your bar when you hand in a quest.

I'm gonna add to this by saying, if youre stam, you can also level 2 weapon skills at the same time this way. Just put 1 point in a weapon ability when you unlock it, and put that on your bar, then equip a completely different weapon to actually fight with.

Try and wear 1 piece of each armor type to level your armor skills. 5 pieces of what you need, and then 1 each of the others. This helps a lot when you hit max level because:

A. One of the passives in the Undaunted skill line gives you 1% (then 2%) max to your stats for each piece you wear, 6% to everything is pretty drat good ime.

B. The first 3 passives in each armor skill are also small but useful, and if you have points to spare I highly recommend them on pretty much any character,

none of these bonuses are amazing, but all this little poo poo does add up.

Edit: the reason you also do your bars this way is because each skill line levels independently, and only skills on your active bar get xp. With how easy respecs are, it makes the most sense to try and get all your skill lines maxed ASAP

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 12, 2018

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Also crowns are never discounted through Steam, IIRC, if you plan on buying those.

They’re discounted now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the advice! I'm going for a magicka Nightblade first I think--I wanted to do magicka and I think Nightblade seemed like a cool take on it. So far I've put all my points in magicka and unlocked a few Siphoning and Destruction Staff skills. Should I be putting any in health at all?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
None. Even Alcast's nightblade tank build doesn't put any points in health. Food, equipment bonuses, and the Lord mundus stone can all be used to increase your max health without any skill point investment.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 12, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I be hanging on to any kinds of items I find to possibly sell? (however selling to other players works) I've noticed a lot of apparent crafting materials have 0 gold value when sold to a merchant so I've just kinda stashed them in my bank for now.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Harrow posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm going for a magicka Nightblade first I think--I wanted to do magicka and I think Nightblade seemed like a cool take on it. So far I've put all my points in magicka and unlocked a few Siphoning and Destruction Staff skills. Should I be putting any in health at all?

You dps hard and heal yourself with BLOOD MAGIC!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Rollersnake posted:

:lol: In case anyone was wondering, if you heal a player who's being attacked by a guard, the game treats you as an accomplice. Got a bounty as big as if I straight up attacked a guard from that little altruistic act.

wierd i tried healing someone who was getting owned by a guard but i didnt get a bounty. i also had attack innocents disabled after accidently attacking a few people in town so maybe it was that. oh yea, the guards still got him :smith:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It depends on the heal. I think the only heal that actually triggers the bounty is the templar heal (Rushed Ceremony/Breath of Life/Honor the Dead). I can cast Vigor on a fleeing pubby and never get the bounty.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

If I'm just starting (returning with no characters high level) am I going to miss out on anything if I don't have Summerset? I have the Morrowind expansion.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You'll mostly miss out on Jewelry Crafting

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

It depends on the heal. I think the only heal that actually triggers the bounty is the templar heal (Rushed Ceremony/Breath of Life/Honor the Dead). I can cast Vigor on a fleeing pubby and never get the bounty.

It was a warden heal (Fungal Growth) in my case. It has a cone radius, same as Rushed Ceremony, so maybe that has something to do with it?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Harrow posted:

Should I be hanging on to any kinds of items I find to possibly sell? (however selling to other players works) I've noticed a lot of apparent crafting materials have 0 gold value when sold to a merchant so I've just kinda stashed them in my bank for now.

Find and join a trading guild (trader location is important, there is no centralised auction house), sell stacks for gold unless you intend to craft, in which case you should hold onto most of them and consider subscribing for the crafting bag, juggling that poo poo in your bank gets tedious after a while. An add-on like Master Merchant is also invaluable for determining whether to sell or just deconstruct an item, if you don't see a price then guild members can usually help out.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

ModeSix posted:

If I'm just starting (returning with no characters high level) am I going to miss out on anything if I don't have Summerset? I have the Morrowind expansion.

Summerset isn't bad but I don't know if it's the slam-dunk Morrowind was. All of their expansions (large and small) are designed to be pretty self-contained, so you can easily wait to pick it up until you feel like you need more content. As a general rule of thumb, if you're having fun with the content you've got, there's no hurry to buy more.

I personally enjoy having a lot of extra storylines available at once just so that I don't have to repeat a lot of quests leveling up new alts. I knew I'd buy Summerset eventually so I did the preorder for the hell of it, and then I just parked one of my characters there who had nothing better to do, and I hop over and run around for a few hours now and then. I'll tell you one thing, Summerset is very pretty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Find and join a trading guild (trader location is important, there is no centralised auction house), sell stacks for gold unless you intend to craft, in which case you should hold onto most of them and consider subscribing for the crafting bag, juggling that poo poo in your bank gets tedious after a while. An add-on like Master Merchant is also invaluable for determining whether to sell or just deconstruct an item, if you don't see a price then guild members can usually help out.

Are trading guilds separate from normal guilds? I've been trying to find a guide for how the trading system works and so far it's mostly Reddit threads with people who aren't providing explanations and instead just want to complain about there being no centralized auction house :v:

Also I'll install that addon, that sounds useful.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

summerset has a better story than morrowind i think, though its not vvardenfell

kind of recommend doing summerset main quest if you've already done the MQ/MW/Clockwork City though. it can be done stand alone just fine but unlike most dlc it really is a culmination of all the various plot threads that have been going on since launch

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Guardian's Savagery OP.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dark Root :thunk:

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Do we have any idea how long the servers will be down? I was going to put in some work tonight.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ark posted:

Do we have any idea how long the servers will be down? I was going to put in some work tonight.

They're usually a couple hours. Sorry!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How often are new gear aesthetics usually added to the game, out of curiosity? It seems like there's a lot thanks to all the various themed styles.

Mainly I'm asking because poking through the cash shop, this seems at least a little less egregious than GW2's, which is nice. It seems like there's a higher chance of getting new "make your character look cool" options added to the game than in GW2, where it seems like they only ever make cash shop costumes and cash shop weapon skins unless it's a new expansion, which is roughly every two years :v:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Each and every quarterly update adds new character aesthetics to the game.

E: and, 9 times out of 10, they are available both for purchase and in game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

has there been any picture reveals of the new wolfboy dlc motifs

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They all ride each other.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That Nightblade tank build someone mentioned a while back looks pretty cool. I enjoy the apparent versatility of the classes in this.

I also noticed that the Nightblade tank uses some magicka and stamina. Are there any other builds that legit want both stats? That seems like a rarity.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

How often are new gear aesthetics usually added to the game, out of curiosity? It seems like there's a lot thanks to all the various themed styles.

Mainly I'm asking because poking through the cash shop, this seems at least a little less egregious than GW2's, which is nice. It seems like there's a higher chance of getting new "make your character look cool" options added to the game than in GW2, where it seems like they only ever make cash shop costumes and cash shop weapon skins unless it's a new expansion, which is roughly every two years :v:

Motifs come out every major update (so like 2-3 new styles every 3 months), and all but 3 have been available via ingame means.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Harrow posted:

That Nightblade tank build someone mentioned a while back looks pretty cool. I enjoy the apparent versatility of the classes in this.

I also noticed that the Nightblade tank uses some magicka and stamina. Are there any other builds that legit want both stats? That seems like a rarity.

Most tanks use both to some extent, magicka is used for many buffs and CC.

Maute
Jan 15, 2009
Can I get a guild invite (on PS4 if it matters)? @nowisthecolor

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Maute posted:

Can I get a guild invite (on PS4 if it matters)? @nowisthecolor

There’s no official goon guild on console, sorry.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Coldforge posted:

There’s no official goon guild on console, sorry.

Yeah there is, I just can't remember them all. Lusty Argonian Maid was one of them.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JackBadass posted:

Yeah there is, I just can't remember them all. Lusty Argonian Maid was one of them.

Well pinch my collar and call me Francis, I had no idea.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Realtalk I ran a rando dungeon with a few of you tonight and a couple of you were doing mad damage and I felt a little lackluster. Is CP carryover doing the lifting?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

probably, plus gold gear, and knowing rotations, and having done most the dungeons in the game for like four years now

edit: though worth noting if all things equal, gear/skills/cp/etc being the same, just being good at playing the game will be the most important factor

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 14, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Realtalk I ran a rando dungeon with a few of you tonight and a couple of you were doing mad damage and I felt a little lackluster. Is CP carryover doing the lifting?

Are you sure it wasn't that awesome tank?

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

No, because my level 28 stamsorc didn't have champion points slotted when I ran with ya'll tonight. I also was using pvp morphs and green gear.

If I was doing more damage than you then IDK what was the reason.

Coldforge posted:

Are you sure it wasn't that awesome tank?

It was me, I was the tank fill in.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Cat Pilot posted:

No, because my level 28 stamsorc didn't have champion points slotted when I ran with ya'll tonight. I also was using pvp morphs and green gear.

That explains a lot! :cheers:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

so im about 2 months into this game and i finally figured out how to sell crap in the store for the one rando guild i joined. anything in paticular i should be putting up to turn a decent profit? i have max provisioning and alchemy right now.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 14, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
C160 purple jewelry from popular sets (Necropotence, Mother's Sorrow, Spriggan's Thorns, Silks of the Sun, Spinner's Garments, off the top of my head), also weapons if you have just the right weapon with the right trait for the set (Infused Mother's Sorrow Inferno Staff sells for the most, I think).

Purple furniture plans from anywhere, blue/green ones if they're not from the base game.

I assume all the jewelry upgrade materials are worth quite a bit, and I've had success selling trash C160 green/blue jewelry for 500-700 gold apiece to people just trying to get Jewelry to 50 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ASenileAnimal posted:

so im about 2 months into this game and i finally figured out how to sell crap in the store for the one rando guild i joined. anything in paticular i should be putting up to turn a decent profit? i have max provisioning and alchemy right now.

Dubious cameron throne and witchmother's potent brew are very popular buff foods. The recipes come from holiday events and can be hard (expensive) to get.

Finished drinks sell for a bit, stacks of the mats needed to make them sell pretty decently, like beetle scuttle, small game, bervez juice, etc.