Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Between a Samsung phone that hasn't been reviewed yet and Razer's first foray into making a phone, I'd probably get the Note 9. It'd probably be a decent, fast, and expensive phone. It's designed to run Forenite, at least.

Wait for some reviews, first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Get an iPhone and a Switch.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TheWevel posted:

Get an iPhone and a Switch.
I am a loyal android user, but if mobile gaming is important to you, I agree with the iOS recommendation. There are so many great iOS games that will never get ported to Android.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Fast charging works on all my Anker USB-C chargers/batteries. I notice most people in the report thread saying that their Pixel charger works but their 6P/Samsung/un-named charger no longer fast charges under Pie. I know the 6P charger and many Samsung chargers were out of spec, so maybe Google tightened up what it accepted for fast charging?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, the OG Pixels supported Apple signaling which allowed you to get 2.4a on an A charger with an A-C cable. It's possible that's what broke there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After the Pie update it keeps asking me every time I swipe a notification, "You usually dismiss these, do you want to keep seeing them?" I get what they're going for but it comes off like they don't understand the concept of just being done with that particular notification.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Maybe some day AI will allow me to turn my screen brightness below a billion nits at night.

Me eyes my eyes

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

After the Pie update it keeps asking me every time I swipe a notification, "You usually dismiss these, do you want to keep seeing them?" I get what they're going for but it comes off like they don't understand the concept of just being done with that particular notification.

This drove me insane for the same reason. It eventually lessens though as it remembers your selection for that specific app.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Is that an iridescent phone? Holy poo poo I wannit

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This drove me insane for the same reason. It eventually lessens though as it remembers your selection for that specific app.

This, it ask for each notification but once you pick your choice, it doesn't ask again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I saw a news article today that said Google's Pixel team is working on a solution for the rapid charging issue and it should be done within a couple weeks. I can't find the article now of course...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's weird i have a Google pixel xl and it says I'm fast charging. Is the prompt lying or am i just lucky? Or was it just for the pixel

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Both, Google's claiming the issue is with non-PD chargers. Thought my battery was dying until I saw an article about it today. Dug my stock charger out of a drawer and that works fine.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/google-pixel-xl-users-say-android-9-pie-causes-quick-charging-problems/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Google'd. Hopefully the Pixel 3 has wireless charging.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Just got a Pixel 2 XL and gently caress it is fast

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come we haven't heard anything a out the regular Pixel having fast charging problems since the Pie update? What's different about the XL?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There have been some reports.

However, the XL had a different charging profile since it could do 18w where the normal was limited to 15w out of thermal concerns.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
og non xl pixel charging fine here (charger that came with it)

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
My Pixel XL was fast charging fine until today, and I've been on Pie since last Monday. All of a sudden it isn't fast charging, no matter what charger I use. I thought I was safe from this bug, but apparently not.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

quote:

Update: A Google spokesperson sent along a statement: "We're aware of an issue where non-Power Delivery (PD) USB-C chargers no longer rapidly charge the 2016 Pixel and Pixel XL after the upgrade to Android 9 Pie. The 18W rapid charger included in-box is a PD charger and does not exhibit this behavior. We are verifying a fix for non-PD USB-C chargers and will roll it out in the coming weeks." 

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Any recommendation for a rugged case for a Pixel 2 that one can put on and take off pretty easily? I'd like one for when I'm working in the shop around (literally) tons of steel, but I wanna run caseless the rest of the time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My non XL pixel IS having the charger issues and its the non-PD chargers that are acting differently as Google says. There's definitely more complexity to it as sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't even get above slow charging, but it's definitely a non-PD specific issue.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

My non XL pixel IS having the charger issues and its the non-PD chargers that are acting differently as Google says. There's definitely more complexity to it as sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't even get above slow charging, but it's definitely a non-PD specific issue.

I'm only using the OEM charger with my Pixel XL and fast charging randomly stopped working after the update. It's just totally inconsistent, was fine for a day or two then stopped working. I was never able to solve my Bluetooth metadata problem in the car either, I submitted a bug report to the android tracker and still waiting. This update in general was a poo poo show for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

On the topic of charging, are built in car USB ports always trash? gently caress, at best on a drat near 3 hour drive from home to the city, I might gain 20-30% on my phone. Lately for some reason it actually fuckin loses charge while plugged in. Plugged into a 12v adapter works fine. Had a Chrysler 200 as a rental for work once and that was the same thing, useless.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

codo27 posted:

On the topic of charging, are built in car USB ports always trash?

Largely yes, they are mostly used for infotainment updates and media via usb sticks. Just buy a 2+ amp 12v car charger. Their primary function is not charging your phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most of them top out at 500mah, so yeah, they are going to change slowly.

Some newer cars do advertise higher amp charging, but we are still a long way off from a car offering USB-C so USB-PD is off the table for the built in port.

For Android Auto it is a little less of an issue since the screen of the phone is off so power draw is much less.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At this rate as soon as they built in a higher-watt USB port the spec will change and it will be outdated again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Internet Explorer posted:

At this rate as soon as they built in a higher-watt USB port the spec will change and it will be outdated again.

exactly the reason car OE's will likely not bother and keep the usb port data only and 500mAh capped. we're already starting to see wireless connectivity in infotainment centers and the third party market has already churned out every known thing that can be done with existing 12 volts so why would they bother?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got one of the 12v plug chargers that is 2.4A and has 3 USB ports, it's excellent. Dashcam, bluetooth adapter, and still charges my Pixel 2XL at a good clip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Qi chargers are becoming more common place in vehicles and both AA and CarPlay have fully wireless options now.

So, in the not too distant future, you should hopefully just be able to set you phone down in the center console and have it charge and connect to the infotainment system without wires.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, thankfully car OE's are starting to put 12 volts in the center armrest with cable passthroughs so you can have big honkin chargers for multiple devices without having to look at some huge dorky plastic thing sticking out of the center console

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Qi chargers are becoming more common place in vehicles and both AA and CarPlay have fully wireless options now.

So, in the not too distant future, you should hopefully just be able to set you phone down in the center console and have it charge and connect to the infotainment system without wires.

Yes but then I have to buy a new car and I like mine :smith:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, thankfully car OE's are starting to put 12 volts in the center armrest with cable passthroughs so you can have big honkin chargers for multiple devices without having to look at some huge dorky plastic thing sticking out of the center console

It's completely unobtrusive on mine, sits at the bottom behind the shifter.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's completely unobtrusive on mine, sits at the bottom behind the shifter.

that's good. personally i just dont like having to look at that kind of crap in my car and my current one has a 12v in the center stack that's blam front and center. thankfully it also has one inside the center console box with a passthrough.

i'd love qi but i ain't buying a new car any time soon and welp, google jumped off the qi train so

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mine has the main one down in front of the shifter/cupholders where I plug my Pixel 2 in, next to it is the 12v hole, and then there's another USB and 12v hole inside the center console. Hell there might even be two USB ports in there now that I think of it since I didn't need to change out the cable for my Bluetooth headset when one of the in-laws needed to charge their phone after a day at the zoo.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My 13 year old Accord has this, it just makes so much sense. The center armrest has an upper tray inside with a cable pass through that goes to the space below, and out the front. There's a 12v accessory port in the space below.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Apple CarPlay spec requires non-trash usb ports so if your car supports that it should be able to charge your phone decently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Desk Lamp posted:

Apple CarPlay spec requires non-trash usb ports so if your car supports that it should be able to charge your phone decently.

To my knowledge, CarPlay just requires USB 3.0 which is still only 900mah for charging with data. Most CarPlay ports from car manufacturers are rated at 1A. So, better than 500mah, but not exactly fast charging.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a big fuckin 2 outlet/1 USB inverter with an annoyingly short cord, I'd say 1' tops, so in my civic it has to be wedged between the passenger seat and the center area. The thing has a loving useless HDMI port and cant charge a phone with either of the USB ports it has. I dont understand it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

To my knowledge, CarPlay just requires USB 3.0 which is still only 900mah for charging with data. Most CarPlay ports from car manufacturers are rated at 1A. So, better than 500mah, but not exactly fast charging.

This is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

codo27 posted:

I have a big fuckin 2 outlet/1 USB inverter with an annoyingly short cord, I'd say 1' tops

you know they make slim 2.1 amp 12v adapters so you can use whatever cord you want, right? lol

e: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B182976?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAASCI

this one is super tiny and both ports are 2.x amp