Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

One Eyed Magpie by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 30th

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Great timing.

This was the biggest guy I've seen in a while...never got close enough for a decent shot, though.

Too Far Away by B. B., on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

torgeaux posted:

This was the biggest guy I've seen in a while...never got close enough for a decent shot, though.

Too Far Away by B. B., on Flickr

Still a cool shot. How much damage do you think little birds like that can do to a hawk?

After wanting to see one for nearly a year, I finally got a look at a Black-crowned Night Heron!

Now if only I could figure out how to take evening bird photos without massive amounts of grain. Anyone have tips? The first one was shot at 1/200 second, wide open (f/6.3) and 6400 iso. That's a very high iso, but I feel like the shutter speed was already a bit low as it is. The second was 1/60 second, but that was after I'd gotten my tripod out. Is the best solution just to go out when there's more light?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

Still a cool shot. How much damage do you think little birds like that can do to a hawk?

After wanting to see one for nearly a year, I finally got a look at a Black-crowned Night Heron!

Now if only I could figure out how to take evening bird photos without massive amounts of grain. Anyone have tips? The first one was shot at 1/200 second, wide open (f/6.3) and 6400 iso. That's a very high iso, but I feel like the shutter speed was already a bit low as it is. The second was 1/60 second, but that was after I'd gotten my tripod out. Is the best solution just to go out when there's more light?

If your lens is f/6.3 wide open there is essentially nothing you can do in that kind of lighting condition. More expensive bodies obviously will deal with noise better but sounds like the lens is the limiting factor.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

VelociBacon posted:

If your lens is f/6.3 wide open there is essentially nothing you can do in that kind of lighting condition. More expensive bodies obviously will deal with noise better but sounds like the lens is the limiting factor.

Yeah, light is like money when it comes to taking pictures--you've only got so much to work with, and once you blow your budget compromises have to be made (e.g. lots of noise).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it looks like it was really dark, so there's not much you can do. I think the grain adds to the mood of it being almost night, so while it may not be the most stunning shot of a BCNH I think it works in this instance of capturing the moment you saw the heron flying in front of the trees well after the sun went down. If you aren't happy with the inherent grain of iso 6400, you can add and tweak extra grain in Lightroom. Turn the "weakness" into an intentional feature of the photo. That photo is probably already underexposed for a neutral scene, but if ISO6400 is a dealbreaker for you, you might be able to cap the ISO at 3200 and pull up one stop in post. That may or may not be better than what you have.

For what it's worth, there are often known roosts of night-herons that you can photograph during the day but then all your shots are sleeping/preening. I like that you got them active. But now go back to that place and see if they might start moving around 30 minutes earlier.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
duckies!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kenshin posted:

duckies!

Adorable!

Thanks for the advice everyone. But now I have another problem. I rented a Sigma 150-600mm; It showed up yesterday, and I took the Night Heron photos above, which turned out alright considering the low light. However, I went out a little earlier today had trouble getting good shots. A lot of the shots were definitely overexposed and/or slightly out of focus, even in great light. Some photos were alright, but the main problem is that the camera/lens seems to think it needs a lot more light. I use a Nikon d5100 and shot mostly in f/6.3 and ~1/800 with auto iso (which has served me well for birding in the past), but it often picked an iso much too high for the conditions. If I put the camera in an auto mode, it also picked settings that made things too bright.

Here's an example of an unprocessed shot. A lot of the shots were like this. The sun was low, giving the scene a beautiful and clear light, and there was nothing to make me expect any trouble with the exposure or focus, but the photo was both overexposed and out of focus. This is f/6.3, 1/640 second, and 2800 (!!!) iso.

Some photos turned out alright, but I usually had to lower the iso manually. My first thought is that something's wrong with the lens. It's a rental, after all, and maybe it got knocked around by previous users. However, complicating the situation is the fact that I dropped my camera a few weeks ago (tripod blew over in the wind while I was trying to photograph lightning and the camera struck concrete). For snapshots with my normal kit lens, however, the camera seems to be fine.

So I'm at an impasse: Unless it's operator error, there's either something wrong with the lens or my camera. Is there a good way to figure out what's to blame and fix it?

P.S. As thanks for getting to the end of that screed, here's some more pictures from a couple months ago:

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 4, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hard to know, but a couple of possibilities:

regarding the focus, it almost looks like the reeds in front are in focus (maybe?). There may be more contrast there. Pay attention to which AF points are lighting up, or better yet, manually choose or use center point and recompose. Also, it's possible that the lens is not the sharpest at f/6.3, so maybe go for F/8 and see if it is any better. Also, check that you didn't accidentally turn off the IS. This is often way to easy to do.

Regarding exposure, you have dark trees and dark reeds in the shot. If you have a metering setting that is using most or all of the image, it may be trying to make those lighter, at the expense of over-exposing the bird and the vegetation that's in the sun. Either use a more focused metering setting, or just get to know your camera and how it might read scenes like that, then tweak the exposure compensation up or down to get the exposure you want. And just thinking about capturing golden hour light, you may want to have in mind that it shouldn't be as bright as mid-day at the beach, so you may start with the idea that you will underexpose by a little bit since your camera may be just trying to get the mid tones to a certain level or whatever.

Always a good idea to check for exposure (especially blown highlights) by looking at the LCD in the field. If you aren't getting what you want, dial it up or down until you do.

e: seems like you are very concerned with the ISO. Maybe try aperture priority mode and set that to f/6.3 or f/8. Then set your ISO to 1600. Let the camera choose shutter speed, and then use exposure compensation to make a lighter or darker exposure if necessary.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 4, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Trying not to overwhelm the thread with bird feeder pics. Tried a different setup, with my 9mm 6-8 inches from the feeder on intervalometer.

Close2 by B. B., on Flickr

Close by B. B., on Flickr

9mm Hummingbirds by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
That’s so cool! I’ve never seen shots of hummingbirds that close.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

You will almost definitely need to do an AF fine tune on a Sigma lens. Get one of those little plastic calibration things and keep it in your camera bag.

Not to mention that someone else may have used the Sigma dock to mess with the focus calibration.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Hard to know, but a couple of possibilities:

Thanks for the advice. I tried a lot of these suggestions, but couldn't really resolve my problem. I think it might be the camera (which I recently dropped) and not the lens.

Fart Amplifier posted:

You will almost definitely need to do an AF fine tune on a Sigma lens. Get one of those little plastic calibration things and keep it in your camera bag.

Not to mention that someone else may have used the Sigma dock to mess with the focus calibration.

Hmm, maybe. This is a rental, though, and I have to return it tomorrow, so I have no time for that. Still, despite fighting with exposure and focus, I'm reasonably pleased with how some of the shots turned out.

I wonder what this Osprey was thinking as it flew by, watching a person on the ground staring up at it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Also, check the screws on the lens (on the ring where it mounts to the camera). They should be tight. I have a Sigma lens and have had to tighten them a couple times. It's normal for a lens to have a little bit of play when you turn it, but it should have no forwards or backwards play (towards/away from the sensor)

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Pretty much all birding comes down to knowing time and place. With home feeders, the place is easy, and it's really a matter of them adjusting to you on hummingbirds. These little bastards are so used to me now, they're giving me attitude.

What are YOU looking at by B. B., on Flickr

Those colors are gorgeous.

torgeaux posted:

Trying not to overwhelm the thread with bird feeder pics. Tried a different setup, with my 9mm 6-8 inches from the feeder on intervalometer.

Close2 by B. B., on Flickr

That's amazing. How long did you have to try before you got good results? Did the birds mind?

Time for some yellow! The sunflowers are in bloom, so I'm glad some birds decided to cooperate.

Some more yellow, for good measure:

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Free ride, Woohoo!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DorianGravy posted:

Those colors are gorgeous.

That's amazing. How long did you have to try before you got good results? Did the birds mind?

Hummingbirds get used to you really quick. When I'm changing a feeder, they'll keep feeding, and when I bring a new one out, they'll start feeding while I'm hanging it. The camera sitting next to the feeder doesn't phase them at all.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

DorianGravy posted:

I wonder what this Osprey was thinking as it flew by, watching a person on the ground staring up at it.

Cool catch! Osprey and their meals are always fun to watch. I swear this one can recognize my car and perches in the worst possible spot so I can't get anything good lighting wise.

This black vulture wanted a new headshot for its portfolio I guess and cooperated a bit more than the Osprey as far as lighting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Went to a raptor sanctuary this week, decided to try my hand at taking pictures of birds! This probably counts as cheating though.

P8080893 by Cody P, on Flickr

P8080829 by Cody P, on Flickr

P8080868 by Cody P, on Flickr

P8080876 by Cody P, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I sure as hell won’t fault you. That last shot is pretty funny.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Cool catch! Osprey and their meals are always fun to watch. I swear this one can recognize my car and perches in the worst possible spot so I can't get anything good lighting wise.

That's still a fantastic shot.

The circles radiating from the eyes is really cool.

Here's a hummingbird. Is it a Broad-tailed?

Here's a female Yellow-headed Blackbird. I've seen a bunch of males (to be fair, they are quite distinctive), but this is my first time noticing one of the females.

I'd never seen one of these before. It's a Sora, and it ran off into the reeds practically as soon as I took this picture.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_7751.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_7881.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_7884.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Those peanuts never stood a chance.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

My favorite kind, the "you look ridiculous because we caught you in an awkward moment" shots.

Old Married Couple by B. B., on Flickr

Seymour by B. B., on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I could be wrong since I'm not the best at identifying the smaller birds, but is this a textbook example of brood parasitism? That one being fed sure looks like a fat brown-headed cowbird chick. Birds are some brutal animals, man.

Have another red-tailed hawk

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 14, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I could be wrong since I'm not the best at identifying the smaller birds, but is this a textbook example of brood parasitism? That one being fed sure looks like a fat brown-headed cowbird chick. Birds are some brutal animals, man.

Have another red-tailed hawk

I love all raptors, they're just regal.

Yeah, it definitely looks like a juvenile cowbird.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Captive birds, but it was cool seeing these guys up close. Especially the Eurasian which apparently was imported as an illegal pet when he was 3 months old.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ruffed Grouse mom & kids
Pre-Ness 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Pre-Ness 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Pre-Ness 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I didn't get a good picture of any of the offspring. They looked like nestlings, but they could fly at least a little way - like across the road and into the brush.

Pre-Ness 4 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Killdeer in a field near my sister-in-law's house near Winnipeg.

Pre-Ness 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
And a hawk that I haven't ID'd yet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Pre-Ness 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
And a hawk that I haven't ID'd yet.

Tricky hawk. I think the wings are too long and tail too short for accipiter, and not deep enough for buteo, so I'm going to guess Northern Harrier.

I'm not sure exactly how soon grouse chicks can fly but if it's like turkeys and quail it's probably within a couple of weeks.They leave the nest immediately. I was just in the NC mountains and was hoping to drive some forest service roads– grouse were one of the things I was hoping to run across. drat rains had washed out the roads near where we were staying so the gates were all locked.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Captive birds, but it was cool seeing these guys up close. Especially the Eurasian which apparently was imported as an illegal pet when he was 3 months old.

These are awesome.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Misread this as "goon grouse" at first, in which case the answer to the question of when they fly the nest would be "never".

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Back in Canada after working in the Philippines for June/July, went to a nature sanctuary outside of the city and was kinda bummed out with how dry it was. The wetland area was legit like 1/3 of what it should be, and the amount of waterfowl/shorebirds was next to nil.

Marsh Wren by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

These are awesome.

Thanks! These owls were so cool to get up close to.

Got one more of the eagle-owl

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Pretty happy with the older Canon 300mm f/4 on the Fuji. The IBIS helps a lot.

Tree Jay by B. B., on Flickr

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Finally got off my butt and went to harass the hummingbirds. We just added a second feeder yesterday, and not 30 seconds after I hung it up it had a bird chattering at it then drinking from it. I hadn't even made it in the front door. We also tossed up something to feed the gold finches today, and while it's had one bird going to town on it I haven't gotten any pictures. You were right about them not giving a crap once they know you, after about 15 minutes of chilling on my porch they were flying up to investigate me. There are 3 total who seem to frequent our feeder, 2 seem to be friends and one is not.

More are in here:
https://imgur.com/a/5cF23gL

The boring:

(Cropped) Amusing:

And the of course I'm focused on the feeder:

I spent a lot of time futzing with my settings, basically blowing out the sky to try and stop them. I am really out of practice. Started on my 30mm f/1.8 because it's what was on there, swapped to my 70-300mm later.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Birds for the bird thread

DSC_8925.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_8915.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_8919.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_8903.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_8873.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool! What’s your setup on the ones with the black background?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

President Beep posted:

Cool! What’s your setup on the ones with the black background?

Dark, rainy evening with a flash overpowering the background light

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

Dark, rainy evening with a flash overpowering the background light

That is a truly awesome effect. Off-camera flash?

I might have to try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Love 'em. Nice job.