Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Free Triangle posted:

Can someone give me some advice on shielding swordmages? Their mark mechanic looks good but almost all their powers look awful compared to fighters.

You have better access to AOEs than most fighters, and bizarrely get the most mileage out of shielding aegis by laying it on an enemy and then ignoring them/forcing them to cross the map to come get you. You are Int-based so your AC is always good-to-great. Even a shielding swordmage has good mobility options, usually via teleportation. Hit points gud. You qualify into arcane themes and paragon paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Macguffinarium or whatever it's called has some, though I can't remember if they're any good or not.

don't use this, it's a pile of poo poo. This is the late Essentials book that has the healing potions that work even without Surges

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

don't use this, it's a pile of poo poo. This is the late Essentials book that has the healing potions that work even without Surges

Okay yeah, I never actually owned it so I didn't want to simply assume it was bad even though it was post-E (blame Heroes of the Feywild for being actually decent).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mordenkainen's is basically where Mearls dropped even the least bits of pretense and just crammed in as many 3.5 style items and rules as he could. Any time I saw an item in the builder that had more flavour text than statblock, and a lovely overpowered statblock as well, I knew right where it was from.

e: a bunch of them were just updates of existing 4E items that had carried over from earlier editions, named stuff like "true :smug: decanter of endless water"

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 3, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mordenkainen's is basically where Mearls dropped even the least bits of pretense and just crammed in as many 3.5 style items and rules as he could. Any time I saw an item in the builder that had more flavour text than statblock, and a lovely overpowered statblock as well, I knew right where it was from.

e: a bunch of them were just updates of existing 4E items that had carried over from earlier editions, named stuff like "true :smug: decanter of endless water"

God that hosed me off. TRUE portable hole.

If oyu want it to be what it was in 3.5, call it what it was in 3.5.

Portable ROOM.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty certain they could just barely keep him from naming the Essentials classes Proper Wizard and Fighter As He's Supposed To Be, or the whole line It's Your Dungeons & Dragons Again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s My Dungeons & Dragons Again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm pretty certain they could just barely keep him from naming the Essentials classes Proper Wizard and Fighter As He's Supposed To Be, or the whole line It's Your Dungeons & Dragons Again.

Deity and Meatwall

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I gotta admit, the TRUE portable hole is just so hilariously petty I can't help but smile. That is just adorable.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I gotta admit, the TRUE portable hole is just so hilariously petty I can't help but smile. That is just adorable.

It always makes me smile because it reminds me that Mearls well and truly became angry at 4e. At some point, the game's sheer existence made him actually upset - and he helped make it in the first place.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Also 4E's portable hole was cooler than the "True Portable hole" Put an actual hole y ou can reach through into anything" is just conceptually neater than "Bag with way too much storage"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ProfessorCirno posted:

It always makes me smile because it reminds me that Mearls well and truly became angry at 4e. At some point, the game's sheer existence made him actually upset - and he helped make it in the first place.

Which is weird when you look at all those articles he wrote at the start of 4e's development where he talked about how class and race balance was important.

It's like at some point around the time he got put in charge as the sole developer he got a bowling ball dropped on his head and DARE YOU ENTER MY MAGICAL REALM!?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kurieg posted:

Which is weird when you look at all those articles he wrote at the start of 4e's development where he talked about how class and race balance was important.

It's like at some point around the time he got put in charge as the sole developer he got a bowling ball dropped on his head and DARE YOU ENTER MY MAGICAL REALM!?

Mearls is slimy as gently caress so it's hard to tell how much of that was him being honest, but I also remember that in the start of 4e, they had problems where unnamed devs would constantly try to make wizards stronger then other classes, and I remember the terrible adventures he made for it, and how even when he did try to make 4e as 4e, he failed miserably, and frankly, at the end of the day, he never, ever actually understood how 4e worked. So yeah, maybe he does think balance is important, but he has no idea how to do that. There are people who think balance is important and go on to claim that 3.x was totally well balanced.

But what I think it really was, is that...he fell to the edition wars. Mearls sees himself as an AD&D fan to his loving soul, and when the OSR happened and condemned 4e, my best wager is that he went along with it immediately. He saw his AD&D fandom hate him and the game he made, and instantly joined their side.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

See, if you put a wizard on one side, and all the other classes together on the other, then

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kurieg posted:

He wrote the exact same articles at the start of 5e. It was all about how Fighters were being modelled after Beowulf and Cu Chulainn and Gilgamesh and would have ludicrously powerful abilities to compete with Wizards.

Then they got whittled away to 'attack a bit more often, maybe trip a dude sometimes' and all the formerly martial-only abilities like Quarry got turned into spells. Except for Sneak Attack I guess.

Watching Critical Role has really brought this home for me. Their Barbarian is a loving TANK. He can absorb ludicrous amounts of damage. But pit him against any spellcaster or anything that can fly and he's FUUUUUUCKED; the final boss fight was won ENTIRELY with Counterspell, and honestly the DM could trivially have killed the party if he'd wanted to.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 3, 2018

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm planning to run the Pathfinder AP "Kingmaker" for some friends of mine, and it's likely that it'll be in 4e. Like gently caress I'm ever GMing Pathfinder again. I dunno if it makes more sense to ask in this thread or the PF thread for advice on porting things over. The main thing that jumps out to me is restricting the full benefits of extended rests to proper settlements. But I'm really not sure what to do with the settlement/country building stuff; in its base form, it's the sort of thing that's kind of fun the first time you try it but gets tedious as the game goes on, and the math for it never really worked. I might just abstract a lot of that and put it down to some skill challenges, but someone earlier in this thread mentioned An Echo, Resounding as an example of domain building/management done right - is that appropriate for my needs?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I haven't read that AP in particular, but Pathfinder APs tend to have a bunch of pointless encounters that can be cut since they only exist to make sure players get the correct amount of EXP.

Generally I would focus on NPC personalities and stories, since that's the strength of Paizo's APs. The rest can be changed a ton, including the overarching plot.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

The Crotch posted:

The main thing that jumps out to me is restricting the full benefits of extended rests to proper settlements.

I really wouldn't bother. I don't think I've ever been in a 4E group that used their daily resources enough, much less too much

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh, a lot of Kingmaker encounters - from what I've played of it, at least - are really spread out time-wise, and I'd like to have some sort of mechanical incentive to go back to the trading post from time to time, anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mearls is slimy as gently caress so it's hard to tell how much of that was him being honest, but I also remember that in the start of 4e, they had problems where unnamed devs would constantly try to make wizards stronger then other classes, and I remember the terrible adventures he made for it, and how even when he did try to make 4e as 4e, he failed miserably, and frankly, at the end of the day, he never, ever actually understood how 4e worked. So yeah, maybe he does think balance is important, but he has no idea how to do that. There are people who think balance is important and go on to claim that 3.x was totally well balanced.

But what I think it really was, is that...he fell to the edition wars. Mearls sees himself as an AD&D fan to his loving soul, and when the OSR happened and condemned 4e, my best wager is that he went along with it immediately. He saw his AD&D fandom hate him and the game he made, and instantly joined their side.

If writing board games for WotC wasn't an absolute meat grinder (the number of designers who passed through and now have nothing to do with the product since the start of 3E is staggering) you would probably get some continuity and improvement, instead of a series of sharp left turns whenever a new guy ascends.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've spent most of today making characters in the CB, for a theoretical future game with my mainly 5e group. I'm doing two of each non-Essentials class; this mostly works to get a "standard" version of a class, and an alternate but similar one. Luke sword and board Fighter versus a two hander Fighter.

This does kind of break down with classes Rogue and Warlock, where you can't really have two different styles, it seems.

That said, is there a sort of tier list of complexity by class? Wizard and some of the others can be very clunky looking for people that have never played 4e. As well, any recommendations for builds that are simple enough to grasp while also showing off the system?

Current builds:

Cleric - Strength Melee, Implement Ranged (options seem overwhelming)
Fighter - SnB, Two Hander
Paladin - SnB, Halfling Dex (I'm kind of lost here but loved the idea of a Halfling Paladin)
Ranger - Bow, TWF
Rogue - Sneaky stabby, hand crossbow (I can't think of how to differentiate a Brutal Scoundrel from a regular Rogue properly)
Warlock - Infernal, Star Pact (Simple if not all that different)
Warlord - Melee Str/Int, Archer Str/Wis (I think, I'm on mobile currently and might have the stats mixed up)
Wizard - Wand Controller, Imposition DPS (I don't even know where to start)

I plan to do PHB2 classes, as well as Monk. I'm not terribly worried about optimizing at this stage, just enough that everyone functions properly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For the Warlock I'd go Infernal and Fey. They're based on different ability scores where the Star Pact is based on CHA and CON, which distinguishes them from each other and makes them a bit easier to set up. You also get a nice split between a damage build (Infernal) and a control build (Fey). And lastly, Infernal and Fey show off two very different flavours where Infernal and Star are kind of on the same side of the alignment spectrum.

I haven't played a lot of Wizards but my understanding is that wands are for blasting enemies with fireballs and orbs are for control zones and save ends effects, which would be the opposite way to your setup.

Preemptive tip for Bards: Melee Valor Bard and implement-based ranged Cunning Bard.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Most of the 'clunky' classes are the ones where you gotta pay attention to keywords for class features, like that one Fighter build that wants Invigorating powers or Rogues that want Rattling. Paladins also have their own hot mess with Sanctions and stuff.

In general I would say that any class can be simple if you're picking the powers for the player and you're picking the powers that have all their relevant bonuses bundled on the power card so they don't have to cross reference.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Scattershot recommendations:

1. Consider a dual-wield and/or grapple fighter for better differentiation from the sword-and-board.

2. Is the halfling paladin holding a longsword in two hands? Because my assumption would be that he'd go war pick and shield, leaving you in need of a two-hander. In that case, I'd recommend half-orc for Blessed Strength.

3. Half-orc rapier rogue vs dex/cha sling or hand crossbow build?

4. You get a bit more contrast out of infernal pact vs fey, I think.

5. Ranged warlords are int and/or wis.

6. Imposition debuffer vs tome of readiness genasi blaster? Nobody likes wands.

EDIT: Also, druids can be awkward for newer players on account of... everything to do with wild shape. Besides that, things like vestigelock and cosmic sorcerer stand out.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've spent most of today making characters in the CB, for a theoretical future game with my mainly 5e group. I'm doing two of each non-Essentials class; this mostly works to get a "standard" version of a class, and an alternate but similar one. Luke sword and board Fighter versus a two hander Fighter.

This does kind of break down with classes Rogue and Warlock, where you can't really have two different styles, it seems.

That said, is there a sort of tier list of complexity by class? Wizard and some of the others can be very clunky looking for people that have never played 4e. As well, any recommendations for builds that are simple enough to grasp while also showing off the system?

Current builds:

Cleric - Strength Melee, Implement Ranged (options seem overwhelming)
Fighter - SnB, Two Hander
Paladin - SnB, Halfling Dex (I'm kind of lost here but loved the idea of a Halfling Paladin)
Ranger - Bow, TWF
Rogue - Sneaky stabby, hand crossbow (I can't think of how to differentiate a Brutal Scoundrel from a regular Rogue properly)
Warlock - Infernal, Star Pact (Simple if not all that different)
Warlord - Melee Str/Int, Archer Str/Wis (I think, I'm on mobile currently and might have the stats mixed up)
Wizard - Wand Controller, Imposition DPS (I don't even know where to start)

I plan to do PHB2 classes, as well as Monk. I'm not terribly worried about optimizing at this stage, just enough that everyone functions properly.

For the Fighter, maybe consider Brawler, since that's very unique to 4e? Similarly, Lazylord and Bravuralord are also kinda iconic and might be worth consideration.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitely offer a Brawler Fighter.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It's also worth noting that 4e's design makes it so the same flavour appears on multiple classes.

Like both "Druids" in my current campaign are Wardens (Wildblood and Stormblood)

To that end, Avenger and Paladin have almost identical flavour.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always thought of avengers as "barbarians, but het up about God".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Avengers, Paladins, Invokers, and Clerics are all 'god warrior'.

Fighters, Rangers, Warlords, and Rogues are all 'warrior warrior'.

Druids, Wardens, Shamans, and Barbarians are all 'nature warrior'.

Everything else is Wizards.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

These are all good notes and I'll be going over the ones I've already made to make adjustments. For the record, the Halfling Paladin used a Rapier and a Light Shield. Then I realized that Paladins are still Defenders that need people to attack them, so the whole build kind of lost focus.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These are all good notes and I'll be going over the ones I've already made to make adjustments. For the record, the Halfling Paladin used a Rapier and a Light Shield. Then I realized that Paladins are still Defenders that need people to attack them, so the whole build kind of lost focus.

I haven't played a Paladin, but usually defenders work by punishing foes for not attacking them. Though in order to do that, high defenses are almost mandatory.

This is more just a GM note for you to not feel beholden to a mark if the punishment isn't bad enough to sstop you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A friend of mine played a paladin who neglected his attack stat and pumped WIS for increased healing ability. But I don't recommend that as a pregen, even if he really did come into his own... eventually, at level 8 or so.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

A friend of mine played a paladin who neglected his attack stat and pumped WIS for increased healing ability. But I don't recommend that as a pregen, even if he really did come into his own... eventually, at level 8 or so.

That's a real bad paladin

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember that discussion! He refused to play a leader class instead, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He did, yes. He really did contribute quite well to fights by the end, but I suspect the only reason it worked out was because he was the sixth wheel in the party and was free to just do whatever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Crotch posted:

I always thought of avengers as "barbarians, but het up about God".

Moriatti posted:

To that end, Avenger and Paladin have almost identical flavour.

The way I've described the difference to my players before is like this:

Let's say your local temple gets attacked by baddies in the middle of the night. The clerics are going to make sure everyone is okay, they're going to focus on healing the injured and keeping everyone calm about what happened.

The paladins are going to set up a watch around the temple, come up with a plan to find out who did this and whether they should go after them or not, and in the morning will execute said plan.

The avengers are the crazy cultists that are going to pick up their weapons and scream "OH HELL NO" and take off in the middle of the night to bring divine retribution to the assholes that dared attack their holy ground. :black101:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really see a tremendous difference between paladins and avengers flavor-wise, outside of one being more oriented towards Assassin's Creed than the other. Paladins, avengers, clerics, and invokers could all live in a temple together (and form a divine party, which is cool).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't really see a tremendous difference between paladins and avengers flavor-wise, outside of one being more oriented towards Assassin's Creed than the other. Paladins, avengers, clerics, and invokers could all live in a temple together (and form a divine party, which is cool).

And poor runepriests get left out in the cold. :sigh:

I like runepriests. Pity they came around so late in the game that they didn't really have much time to be built on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vandar posted:

I like runepriests. Pity they came around so late in the game that they didn't really have much time to be built on.

It's a pity they have nothing but mechanics distinguishing them from Clerics is what it is. They're Clerics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vandar posted:

They can play too, I just forget about them often because I've never been in a group with a runepriest that I can remember.