Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

thread it's with a heavy heart that my brain has entertained the idea of buying the physical volumes and I need to be put down before this idea congeals

do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Maybe whatever they did flooded the world

ive been saying this for a while:
- they live at the highest point in the world
- devil fruits are countered by water. gods are the enemy of devils.
- noah was built to escape fishman island, fishman island is directly below mary geoise, and may likely be destroyed by this flooding
- the world is a bunch of islands, which may mean that the world was flooded before and everoyne's just living at the remaining land
- its probably the only thing powerful enough to give them leverage over the entire planet

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I wonder what else is on the Red Line

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cat Machine posted:

I definitely recommend picking up a few of your favourite volumes physically. Some pages (especially spreads) have an entirely different feel on a page vs. on a phone/monitor. It’s worth it.
im worried even this idea will lead to wanting All Of Them....

and hey those box sets are only $100.....

honestly you'd be crazy NOT to own the third best selling comic series of all time

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

im worried even this idea will lead to wanting All Of Them....

and hey those box sets are only $100.....

honestly you'd be crazy NOT to own the third best selling comic series of all time

Do it. I own all 87 volumes. No regrets.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I wonder what else is on the Red Line

yeah its a big chunk of land with only two notable places we know of so far (reverse mountain and mary goeisie)

wonder if theres any competing civilizations up there that the world nobles are keeping down?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Raspberry Bang posted:

im planning on buying them all to show my love of one piece and support oda's relatives after he works to death

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I predict that the series will most likely end with a large scale war between the Straw Hats and their allies against what's left of the WG at that point (this will most likely happen after One Piece is found and the secret behind the Void Century is uncovered). It might be interesting to see Vivi and Robin team up at the very least (hell, I forget how many of them are still around but for maximum irony you could add in the rest and turn that into a full-fledged Baroque Works reunion).

Speaking of which, I have a feeling that Vivi may end up falling in with the crew again at some point even if she doesn't formally join up (the fact that she was among the pictures shown at the end of the Reverie arc seems to indicate that she'll become a target at some point at any rate). Though at this point you'd probably have to give her a Devil Fruit or something in order to keep up with the rest of the crew as even Nami and Usopp would probably be above her in terms of power at this point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 13, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The moon used to be Earth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I have a feeling that Vivi may end up falling in with the crew again at some point even if she doesn't formally join up (the fact that she was among the pictures shown at the end of the Reverie arc seems to indicate that she'll become a target at some point at any rate). Though at this point you'd probably have to give her a Devil Fruit or something in order to keep up with the rest of the crew as even Nami and Usopp would probably be above her in terms of power at this point.

yeah i really miss vivi and karoo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

yeah i really miss vivi and karoo

Likewise, besides it would be nice to get the full Straw Hat crew back together at least for the final battle at any rate. I also really want to see Vivi's reactions to seeing Robin again and meeting the rest of the crew. As has been mentioned before, I have a feeling that her and Franky would get along great as unlike Nami and Robin she'd probably actually be impressed by his gadgets (Vivi would've docked).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 13, 2018

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Radish posted:

The world government is already known to be absolutely and unrepentantly monstrous but have so much military power it doesn't matter what people think about them so I'm wondering what they don't want people to know. The One Piece world is a horrible fascist nightmare where the further in the boonies and away from the government you are the better as long as you aren't targeted by some random pirates.

I've wondered this too. Surely anyone with meaningful exposure to the heads of government and the celestial dragons recognizes that the world government is completely corrupt and unworthy of respect. Why would the revelation that the celestial dragons took power unjustly 800 years ago change public opinion any more than what the celestial dragons are doing to the common people now? If the five elders were so obsessed with the government's image as the sole protector of justice in the world that they're willing to annihilate islands full of people to prevent the blank century from being uncovered, why wouldn't they put some kind of check on the celestial dragons (who we know are outranked by the five elders)? It doesn't add up, and it makes me very curious as to what kind of secret they're hiding.

I thought for a while that we'd eventually find out that the government (even up to the five elders) was completely cowed by the dragons, whose stupidity and immaturity would lead them to lash out at the world with whatever world-shaping ancient weapon they probably possess if the people below ever begun to learn how the government was founded - so the five elders would turn out to be (relatively) reasonable rulers whose monstrous actions were carried out to minimize the damage the dragons could do to the world. But now that we know that the elders outrank the other celestial dragons, I guess this doesn't really hold water.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also as we've seen from the Reverie arc, the Celestial Dragons appear to be completely above the law and can do whatever they feel like (I'm sure there are some limitations though). Not only that but it's apparently illegal for any one of lower rank to interfere with them, which leads me to believe that the only reason the WG is still in power is because people are afraid of them (and to be fair, they do have the power to back it up).

The Straw Hats therefore are a major threat to them as they've successfully gotten the better of them on their home turf at least twice (Enies Lobby, Marineford), have even taken down several influential figures such as Crocodile and Don Flamingo and most importantly the government can't control them. Now with the Revolutionaries starting to take center stage as well I'm guessing more than a few people will be inspired to jump ship before long (hell, a good number of them are already in favor of Luffy and his crew as they're the only ones who actually bothered to help them).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 14, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Raspberry Bang posted:

this is a trap, this is what someone who already owns them all WOULD say

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

anime was right posted:

- noah was built to escape fishman island, fishman island is directly below mary geoise, and may likely be destroyed by this flooding
- the world is a bunch of islands, which may mean that the world was flooded before and everoyne's just living at the remaining land
- its probably the only thing powerful enough to give them leverage over the entire planet

Also, the big nasty sea monsters are controllable by one of the ancient weapons. Funny how the scariest things in this flooded world have a manual setting.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 14, 2018

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

this is a trap, this is what someone who already owns them all WOULD say

If you don't already own all of them, you're doing it wrong. So fix that mistake now!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Buying the physical volumes is great because you can appreciate the multipage spreads better, the translation quality is consistent, there's SBS spread throughout the chapters and having them all on a shelf lets people know you are a person of exquisite taste.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
You could always go the omnibus route to cut the number of books by 2/3rds.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

anime was right posted:

I definitely think this is going to be part of the lost history because a lot of things are slowly coming together as we progress in the story.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the water and devil fruit stuff is gonna tie into the voices of everything and maybe the five moons and minkmen and ancient alien dwarf robot army

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
one piece is whatever the huge shadows shown at the end of thriller bark are

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Expect My Mom posted:

one piece is whatever the huge shadows shown at the end of thriller bark are

That's one of my favorite pages in One Piece.

I hope Oda never reveals what they really are.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, the big nasty sea monsters are controllable by one of the ancient weapons. Funny how the scariest things in this flooded world have a manual setting.

And another is a ship, and another is related to the sky

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I bet the big secret is that the CDs don't have their unfuckable kill the world weapon any more. They're just very strong. Roger figured he wasn't going to be able to take them with his illness, so he put his bet on the future.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Larryb posted:

Also as we've seen from the Reverie arc, the Celestial Dragons appear to be completely above the law and can do whatever they feel like (I'm sure there are some limitations though). Not only that but it's apparently illegal for any one of lower rank to interfere with them, which leads me to believe that the only reason the WG is still in power is because people are afraid of them (and to be fair, they do have the power to back it up).

So:
-The only crimes that matter for a noble are ones done against other nobles. Anyone else is fair game.
-The Dragons have a metric shitload of money and are bankrolling the Marines and the WG.
-They have a 'divine mandate' of sorts that everyone seems to believe is legitimate, so they have cultural power/significance as well as being above the law and a lot of military strength.
-Lesser nobles get their authority from them to so this divine mandate is enforced from top to bottom.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

You could always go the omnibus route to cut the number of books by 2/3rds.

I have the omnibus's and honestly, the thinner paper is almost see through and the book itself is so thick that it doesn't feel great to read. Compared to the volumes I picked up the omnibus's are just too much of a step down to recommend, at least from my perspective.

But they are a much, much cheaper way to get a lot of One Piece so whatever, you get what you pay for.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, if I had the shelf space and extra $20 per each individual volume then hell yeah, but I have finite funds and shelf space and like a dozen Tezuka manga and forty more volumes of Berserk to buy, soooooo they’re kinda good enough?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So:
-The only crimes that matter for a noble are ones done against other nobles. Anyone else is fair game.
-The Dragons have a metric shitload of money and are bankrolling the Marines and the WG.
-They have a 'divine mandate' of sorts that everyone seems to believe is legitimate, so they have cultural power/significance as well as being above the law and a lot of military strength.
-Lesser nobles get their authority from them to so this divine mandate is enforced from top to bottom.

-Doflamingo could push them around by simply knowing about the existence of the big hat

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Ooh maybe the hat was used to infect Roger w/ his disease, and that's why its frozen to preserve the biological weapon? It had to be stored in a hat because reasons?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So:

this manga is getting a bit too realistic

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yinlock posted:

this manga is getting a bit too realistic

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

thread it's with a heavy heart that my brain has entertained the idea of buying the physical volumes and I need to be put down before this idea congeals

I pulled the trigger on getting these, and really enjoyed doing a read through for the first time in six or so years. It's nice!

If you do get it, probably worth considering if you'd lend out volumes to folks. I have a few people reading the ones I have, and it's a definitely easier to share physical copies vs. other means.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The best part of getting volumes is the SBS section.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dear Oda-sensei,

The best part of any volume of One Piece is the SBS. With that, I'd like to say...

START THE SBS!

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Dear Oda-sensei,

How does [insert character here]'s Devil Fruit affect their penis?

Thanks!
Your number 1 reader, age 8.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Great. Now you've just encouraged my brain to consider that Luffy's dick is inflatable.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

welp im done see you guys when the next chapter hits

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like when three million people write in with what they think people's birthdays should be and oda just goes "Sure!' except sometimes it's " No, this one doesn't make sense"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
or when they do voice actor SBS and they riff on what SBS means resulting in the most untranslatable jokes ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Great. Now you've just encouraged my brain to consider that Luffy's dick is inflatable.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.