Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The closest we've come is that warriors game. Yeah, its that sad of a predicament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"When Miura finishes", it would be really cool to get a significant extension to Black Swordsman. On the other hand, the cleaner art might ruin it and I wonder if he's dark enough anymore to make it great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

"When Miura finishes", it would be really cool to get a significant extension to Black Swordsman. On the other hand, the cleaner art might ruin it and I wonder if he's dark enough anymore to make it great.

What if, after he finishes the series, he just goes back and starts redrawing the early chapters so by the time he reaches the ending again he's achieved some kind of art singularity?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
At this point I'm just hoping he's got a notepad in a safe with the ending written down.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I have to imagine Miura should at least have a basic outline with the key remaining points of the story.

If not, I wouldn't be surprised...just kind of depressed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Miura’s secret plot notes are unearthed from his safety deposit box after his death and revealed to consist of a yellow legal pad with “MORE DEMON COCK” scribbled on it

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I mean, again: less surprise, more depression.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
After several decades, Miura's lost notes for the ending of Berserk will be found in a safety deposit box. Luckily, his son will team up with a prolific science fiction artist to finally bring an end to the series. By starting with a half dozen prequel comics.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Nalin posted:

After several decades, Miura's lost notes for the ending of Berserk will be found in a safety deposit box. Luckily, his son will team up with a prolific science fiction artist to finally bring an end to the series. By starting with a half dozen prequel comics.

I can't wait to read glorified fanfiction of the Beserk universe.
We will get to see contrived backstories of some of our favorite characters from before the manga:
Skull Knight of Berserk
Guts of Berserk
Casca of Berserk

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Is this a dune reference?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

lobster22221 posted:

Is this a dune reference?

Yes.

Although this all did really happen to The Watchmen, except thanks to the magic of copyright, they didn't have to wait until Alan Moore was dead.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gotta say I would mondo enjoy a millennia-long non sequitur timeskip in Berserk

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

maybe after miura dies disney will buy the rights to it, sanitize it for a wider audience, and give us the ending as a series of summer fantasy romantic comedy films

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Walt Disney Presents: *A bisected torso flies up and sticks to the edge of the screen, children laugh at it oozes blood down the IMAX* A timeless classic.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

U-DO Burger posted:

maybe after miura dies disney will buy the rights to it, sanitize it for a wider audience, and give us the ending as a series of summer fantasy romantic comedy films

Puck and Isidro exists. Therefore the series is already for kids.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

just think of all the griffith musical numbers though

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

You silly goon, that isn't how Disney operates at all. They'd acquire Berserk in a package deal with a bunch of other manga from a shared owner and simply cancel it for not being marketable enough.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

U-DO Burger posted:

just think of all the griffith musical numbers though

If this gives us Grittith singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart," it might be worth it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Disney will acquire it
nothing will happen

Then You will see Guts in a Kingdom Hearts 4 trailer

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Dinsey has shell companies to try and sell adult oriented or even violent movies in Touchstone Pictures, its how Starship Troopers, The Sixth Sense and Armageddon were actually Disney films. Although since 2011 they've been doing nothing but Dreamworks publishing.

The property would probably have to shift hands a lot of times if Disney acquired it, and even if it did, it would be going out of its way to poach or acquire anime. "We were trying to get ownership of Akira but all they had was this thing called - Berserk?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Crabtree posted:

Dinsey has shell companies to try and sell adult oriented or even violent movies in Touchstone Pictures, its how Starship Troopers, The Sixth Sense and Armageddon were actually Disney films. Although since 2011 they've been doing nothing but Dreamworks publishing.

The property would probably have to shift hands a lot of times if Disney acquired it, and even if it did, it would be going out of its way to poach or acquire anime. "We were trying to get ownership of Akira but all they had was this thing called - Berserk?"

I think the story of the plucky entrepreneur Griffith disrupting the war economy of the Midlands, only to be betrayed by his treacherous employee Guts, would really resonate with Disney execs.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Based on Devilman Crybaby, I think Netflix would be another option for producing and distributing a Berserk series with little or no cuts due to content. The question would be whether anyone in Japan is interested in going that route.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Crabtree posted:

Disney has a strict rule with ratings, though. They won't put out anything harsher than an R, even on one of their satellite companies. Even with a label like Miramax which had Tarantino, they still had to keep things toned down to an extent.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's gotta be HBO or an Amazon/Hulu/Netflix production... and they'd need an animation department. :( Otherwise it's just a soap opera:

Flowerstorm Puck narrates
Miura's Well-Loved Classic
as directed by Michael Behi
the mtvkids production of
One Life to Give.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Lets just get the people who did the live action dragonball movie to make the adaption.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think anyone is rushing to do a big budget adaptation of berserk after the completely justified reception the last anime got. we'll have to wait another decade or two.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think anyone is rushing to do a big budget adaptation of berserk after the completely justified reception the last anime got. we'll have to wait another decade or two.

WE CAN DREAM DAMMIT! But yeah, your almost certainly correct that it will be a long wait. I wonder how much further the manga will be by the next adaption

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
A few good Berserk games could help smooth out the wait time.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

If this gives us Grittith singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart," it might be worth it.

I'm remembering how that was in Tanz der Vampire and snerking hard
Also now there's this mental image I have of Griffith singing 'Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me" from White Christmas and .... yep that's enough internet for me tonight

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Kevin T Collin's a beautiful singer and he doesn't need an excuse to make Griffith sing.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Live action? I'm sorry but just no. If you know of a country that allows the filming of children murdering each other with spikes for codpieces, and burning corpses, and wrapping people's limbs around wagon wheels, maybe there's a chance... but anyone that watched that probably needs to be on the FBI watch list.

Look this is really easy, and I can't believe I'm pointing this out instead of demoing it and selling it for millions, but there are tons of views in the manga. Take the scans to automatically build the character models, generate the skins from the drawn styles. Artists add color and the 3d motion fillins and leave the rest alone. Get some voice actors not worse than the anime. A director that knows when to go 3d versus 2d would probably help.

I see this as basically a software problem at this point. Artists should not be interpreting much of anything here, they should simply be animating to The Artist's very very clear intent. Yes some 5-10% probably needs touch up for the medium, but ffs Guts should look like Guts.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yeah yeah whatever potp

anyway, i think the rock would make a wonderful guts

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Really dig the Witcher series, maybe just take that template and make it Guts/Black Swordsman slaying things all over a chunk of the world. That's a good baseline for a game style that would work with the world.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

yeah yeah whatever potp

anyway, i think the rock would make a wonderful guts

ron pearlman for mozgus

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gilbert gottfried as ubik would be loving amazing

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

U-DO Burger posted:

gilbert gottfried as ubik would be loving amazing

"THE MOMENT YOU HELD THE CRIMSON BEHELITH, ya had - y'know, like er - a - a BIRTHRIGHT to be a Demon King. Yeah! Neat, ain't it!?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

My god. This is amazing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can hear it in my head. I can hear it in my soul.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly think Gilbert could be a good fit for Ubik and really shine in the role if you explain it to him as an enigmatic old god that also is a gigantic troll that loves loving with people before he throws them into the meat grinder of causality. Let Void and Conrad be serious, with Void being there for the pomp and formality of the event while Conrad - he kind of gives me a seething with anger the whole time kind of mostly quiet guy. Slan's gonna be fondling herself to the suffering and violence so Gilbert can just scream "HOLY MACKEL" as she keeps going on before he closes in on Griffith as he's talking to the old woman in his mind.

"Oh, this is no illusion, Bird-Boy; this is who you really are DEEP DOWN! You stacked the bloody cobblestones to your precious Castle in the Sky! This is your DESTINY!" Because it was always Ubik out of all the Godhand that gave Griffith that last little screw turn to becoming Femto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ubik is the Iago to Voids Jafar.