Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Mozi posted:

You don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about so it would be best to just be quiet and stop making yourself look like such a fool.

I got a handful of sourced replies the last time around generously laced with dogpilers going on tirades about "tankies" and fanfics about the macroeconomics of Venezuela. fnox absolutely refuses to source anything and when pressed basically comes out and says he'd favor a sequel to Pinochet over Maduro. The scales are tipped in favor of everything he posts only because it fits a narrative.

"Actual Venezuelans" doubtlessly work for Venezuelanalysis and TeleSUR. Why are their accounts less credible than his?

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/camilatelesur/status/1029419516193910785?s=21

Looks like the Atlantic Council has more bones to pick than just with Venezuela.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think it would be good if you deleted every group calling themselves "x Analysis" or "Center for Research on X" like they're a bunch of scientists and not just some anonymous outfit with no apparent physical presence or staff

fnox
May 19, 2013

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I got a handful of sourced replies the last time around generously laced with dogpilers going on tirades about "tankies" and fanfics about the macroeconomics of Venezuela. fnox absolutely refuses to source anything and when pressed basically comes out and says he'd favor a sequel to Pinochet over Maduro. The scales are tipped in favor of everything he posts only because it fits a narrative.

"Actual Venezuelans" doubtlessly work for Venezuelanalysis and TeleSUR. Why are their accounts less credible than his?

Because they're in the pockets of the people in power, of loving course their account differs from that of the common people.

I don't know exactly what you think you sourced but you accused me of being affiliated with right wing financiers with zero evidence. You and Peven Stan, and you are increasingly indistinguishable from one another, still cannot explain how the US wages economic war against Venezuela, and the way you see the government as guiltless only makes you seem naive at best.

Motherfucker I wish I got paid to waste my time replying to you. I do this entirely because I am aware of the volume of bullshit that a very small group of radicals spread, the atrocious lies that have caused us two decades of harm. Your bullshit hurts people.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Last night, the authorities arrested a brigadier general named Hector Hernandez inside his home in Caracas. I haven't found out yet why he was arrested, but it's possible that it might have something to do with the drone attack. Hernandez was arrested by the General Directorate for Military Counterintelligence (DGCIM), which is a shadowy security service even by Venezuelan standards.

In any case, the arrest is noteworthy because part of it was recorded, and it exhibits the standard operating procedure that the regime uses to drag people to prison. Masked officers appear at your home in the middle of the night without an arrest or a search warrant, and drag you to prison simply because someone in the government decided that you are a nuisance. All of this is contrary to Venezuelan law (which says that you have to have an arrest warrant to detain someone, a search warrant to enter their home, etc.), and it's this blatant disregard for the rule of law that helps make the Maduro dictatorship what it is.

Hernandez and the people in his home made three videos of the arrest, which I've linked and translated below:

In this video video, Hernandez says that the officers have arrived at his home are are trying to take him away without any type of warrant:
https://twitter.com/NMorenolibertad/status/1029219356834779136

quote:

Hernandez: My name is Brigadier General Hector Armando Hernandez Da Costa. I'm in my home in Los Palos Grandes with my family, and the DGCIM is here without a search warrant or arrest warrant, and they want to force me to go with them. I am innocent of whatever they want to say, perversely, that I did. These young men from the DGCIM have arrived at home violently. They're trying to break in. They've already sent for the tools. They're going to arrest me, supposedly on the orders of the president of the republic. 

In this second video, Hernandez tries to reason with the officers outside of his apartment by asking them to bring a warrant, or to summon him and let him appear where he needs to appear at a later time: https://twitter.com/MoreLosada24/status/1029223843251085312

quote:

Hernandez: ... treatment deserved by a general of the republic who has done nothing more than work for this country. 

DGCIM Officer: [Unintelligible].

Hernandez: Yes but, "come with me" without any type of warrant? You're a member of a state security service, man. You must know what I'm talking about.

DGCIM Officer: Yeah, of course I know. 

Hernandez: So, then, where is the arrest warrant? Where is the search warrant? 

DGCIM Officer: ... you have to come out, or we'll do this the hard way.

Hernandez: Wait just one moment. You're telling me that you're taking me. To where? 

DGCIM Officer: To the DGCIM [HQ].

Hernandez: But why? Why don't you serve me with a summons, and I'll go by there tomorrow, or whenever? This can't be like this. 

In this third video, a woman pleads with the officers to reveal who they are:

https://twitter.com/NTN24ve/status/1029227722244018176

quote:

DGCIM Officer: They've asked us to come get him.

Woman: Who did?

Woman: Who did? Who are you? 

Woman: Hang on, why do we have to get violent? 

DGCIM Officer: They've sent us to get you.

Woman: Who are you? You have to identify yourselves, please. Who are you?

Woman #2: This is my home, drat you! This is my house, and you don't have a search warrant! Stop violating the constitution!

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 14, 2018

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Why so is it that telesur and venezulaynlasis can not manage to report truth of their favorite authoritarian capitalist, but other authoritarian capitalist country can? Who pays you to lie for the Venezuela or is it just hobby?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bathtub Cheese posted:

You have sourced one (1) thing in your time in this thread. You do not get to sneer about this.

fnox has shared a buttload of current events stuff. It also generally dovetails with his past reports on the ground. At this time, he is hecka more credible than you, and Telesur has historically in this thread had significant discrepancies with the grassroots news and periodic reports from Venezuelan residents, never mind actual journalism (which I imagine you have an opinion on).

Telesur is a state-owned media company (from which some of the other participating countries have fully or partially withdrawn because it's a mouthpiece for the garbage people running Venezuela). I don't know a ton about Venezuelanalysis but there appears to be significant actual evidence that they at some point received significant funds and assistance from the Venezuelan government.

So, sure, when fnox and the other thread-resident Venezuelans post something that disagrees with Telesur and Venezuelanalysis, I'm not going to discard it out of hand.

and when they disagree with you, specifically, you're going to have to do a heck of a lot better than you've done so far

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 15, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You have sourced one (1) thing in your time in this thread. You do not get to sneer about this.

fnox has shared a buttload of current events stuff. It also generally dovetails with his past reports on the ground. At this time, he is hecka more credible than you, and Telesur has historically in this thread had significant discrepancies with the grassroots news and periodic reports from Venezuelan residents, never mind actual journalism (which I imagine you have an opinion on).

Telesur is a state-owned media company (from which some of the other participating countries have fully or partially withdrawn because it's a mouthpiece for the garbage people running Venezuela). I don't know a ton about Venezuelanalysis but there appears to be significant actual evidence that they at some point received significant funds and assistance from the Venezuelan government.

So, sure, when fnox and the other thread-resident Venezuelans post something that disagrees with Telesur and Venezuelanalysis, I'm not going to discard it out of hand.

and when they disagree with you, specifically, you're going to have to do a heck of a lot better than you've done so far

Fnox specifically made a speculation post where he said the drone attack was made up and everyone believed it uncritically. It wasn't until footage of the drones came out that people dropped that narrative and moved on to other ones.

quote:

Who actually did this? Sure, from the Oscar Perez saga we know there's actual rebellious elements within the armed forces, but I doubt they would have the money to pull off something so sophisticated as a drone bomb.

Hell, fnox even speciulated that rebellious elements in the armed forces could've been behind it, and yet when a general who nobody cared about yesterday is dragged out and purged all of a sudden everyone stops and pretends like a massive injustice was just perpetrated. Yesterday he was a Maduro stooge, today he's Venezuela's comey.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Fnox specifically made a speculation post where he said the drone attack was made up and everyone believed it uncritically. It wasn't until footage of the drones came out that people dropped that narrative and moved on to other ones.

Hell, fnox even speciulated that rebellious elements in the armed forces could've been behind it, and yet when a general who nobody cared about yesterday is dragged out and purged all of a sudden everyone stops and pretends like a massive injustice was just perpetrated. Yesterday he was a Maduro stooge, today he's Venezuela's comey.

I actually concur that the false flag thing was jumping the gun a bit. you're overstating "everyone believed it uncritically" a lot though

If the general were arrested in the Glorious People's Revolution when the MUD or the Oscar Perez Memorial Martyr Brigade deposes the regime, I would hope that he would get more due process in the course of the arrest than he apparently received. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I agree, due process is for losers

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He makes specific claims about things that can and ought to be corroborated. Outside post containing a single worthless link that I'll gladly retract, I've mostly raised questions.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What are those discrepancies, and what about them is significant? Which Venezuelans are reporting these things, and have any other media outlets verified what they have said?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ah yes, the "state media" of the enemy regime isn't credible because they are the enemy regime, not because you have any interest in explaining things they've been deceptive or biased about.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The dude that rushed to the thread to suggest the government invented the attempt on Maduro's life using a gas explosion before the smoke had even cleared is your go-to guy for the facts on the ground.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The head of the Central Bank walked back some of Maduro's assertions regarding the roll-out of the new Bolivar Soberano, which is scheduled to take place next Monday.

Maduro said yesterday that the (new) Bolivar Soberano and the (old) Bolivar Fuerte would "coexist", meaning that you'd be able to use both currencies to buy goods and services. However, the head of the Central Bank said today that in fact only the Bolivar Fuerte notes that are higher than Bs. 1,000 would continue to be legal tender starting on Monday.

He also explained that starting next week you could pay for goods and services in a combination of both Bolivares Soberanos and Bolivares Fuertes, keeping in mind that the Bolivar Fuerte will lose five zeroes starting on Monday. So, Bs. 1,000 will become Bs. 0.01 starting on Monday, and so on with the rest of the bills.

If you're having a hard time wrapping your head around how that will work or why it's being done this way, welcome to Venezuelan monetary policy.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I also love to defend state terror affecting millions of people in a place that I've never been to and have no connection to because *checks notes* the U.S. is bad?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Bathtub Cheese posted:

. Outside post containing a single worthless link that I'll gladly retract, I've mostly raised questions.

So you’re basically admitting you’re just JAQing off

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Chuck Boone posted:

I also love to defend state terror affecting millions of people in a place that I've never been to and have no connection to because *checks notes* the U.S. is bad?

The rhetorical slippage between a single cockeyed arrest of a high ranking official by counterintelligence and "state terror affecting millions" here is laughable.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

ryde posted:

So you’re basically admitting you’re just JAQing off

I'm paid by the number of rants about tankies I provoke in absurd quantities of hyperinflated currency.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chuck Boone posted:

The head of the Central Bank walked back some of Maduro's assertions regarding the roll-out of the new Bolivar Soberano, which is scheduled to take place next Monday.

Maduro said yesterday that the (new) Bolivar Soberano and the (old) Bolivar Fuerte would "coexist", meaning that you'd be able to use both currencies to buy goods and services. However, the head of the Central Bank said today that in fact only the Bolivar Fuerte notes that are higher than Bs. 1,000 would continue to be legal tender starting on Monday.

He also explained that starting next week you could pay for goods and services in a combination of both Bolivares Soberanos and Bolivares Fuertes, keeping in mind that the Bolivar Fuerte will lose five zeroes starting on Monday. So, Bs. 1,000 will become Bs. 0.01 starting on Monday, and so on with the rest of the bills.

If you're having a hard time wrapping your head around how that will work or why it's being done this way, welcome to Venezuelan monetary policy.

I really don't get this narrowminded focus on Venezuela like the failures of the Maduro regime are unique. Nearby Argentina is also facing its own currency crisis, but since their president is a literal italian millionaire from a center right neoliberal party there is virtually no outrage directed towards them or their incompentence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I really don't get this narrowminded focus on Venezuela like the failures of the Maduro regime are unique. Nearby Argentina is also facing its own currency crisis, but since their president is a literal italian millionaire from a center right neoliberal party there is virtually no outrage directed towards them or their incompentence.

It may - I'm no genius, just guessing here - but it may have something to do with this being the Venezuela thread.

The Generalized Latin America thread is over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684031&pagenumber=116#lastpost

and as it turns out, guess what's a topic of discussion, CLB!

edit: well, was a month ago, thread's not terribly alive :v:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It may - I'm no genius, just guessing here - but it may have something to do with this being the Venezuela thread.

The Generalized Latin America thread is over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684031&pagenumber=116#lastpost

and as it turns out, guess what's a topic of discussion, CLB!

edit: well, was a month ago, thread's not terribly alive :v:

Sure, but here's the rub. Their central bank is doing the same poo poo as the venezuelan one by having unscheduled meetings where they pull all kinds of stunts to try and stave off hyperinflation from poor decisionmaking. Nobody's calling for Macri's head or demanding that there should be a regime change. In fact, it seems like any amount of economic incompetence can be stomached from westerners when it comes to argentina because Macri is explicitly a washington consensus kind of guy:

quote:

If Macri wins, it would be a clear victory for investors who widely support his market-friendly reforms and stayed away from Argentina during the previous administrations’ populist 12-year reign.

Additionally, you can see how rigged the media operates in capitalist countries when neoliberals are in charge through reporting like this:

quote:

The change in fortune was on full display last week: The peso fell 5.9 percent, but news coverage of the drop was drowned out by the probe and the Senate’s abortion vote .

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-12/argentina-s-president-faced-a-crisis-now-a-scandal-shields-him

No matter how badly Macri screws up or bends democratic institutions like the Central Bank of Argentina nobody will care, meanwhile every bit of news out of venezuela that isn't unfriendly to the regime has to be scrutinized and backed up by 10 sources and R Kelly's probation officer. It's the textbook propaganda model chomsky came up with during the cold war to describe US reporting.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The rhetorical slippage between a single cockeyed arrest of a high ranking official by counterintelligence and "state terror affecting millions" here is laughable.

My apologies. I didn't realize you were so new to this topic.

There were at least 12,011 arbitrary arrests just like the one you saw in those videos between 2014 and 2017. Individuals who are arbitrarily detained are routinely beaten, tortured, and subjected to inhuman conditions while in detention. They are, by definition, denied even the most basic legal rights, including notice of why they were arrested or the right to appear before a judge. It's not unusual for arbitrarily arrested individuals to spend weeks or months in prison without a clear idea of why they're in there, only to be let out at some point in the future with sometimes irreparable psychological, emotional and physical trauma.

One of the reasons why this happens, as I mentioned earlier, is because the Maduro regime has done away with the rule of law in Venezuela. What this means is that there is no legal certainty that you will not be arrested on a whim. I live in Canada, and I can be reasonably certain that on any given day I will not be arrested, or if I am, that I will be told why, and be allowed to mount a defense to seek remedy.

This is not the case in Venezuela. In other words, if you are one of millions of people living in Venezuela today, you live in a country where anyone can be disappeared into prison simply because the president or someone else in power decided so, and there'd be nothing you could do about it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

That's interesting, thanks for letting us know.

This is the Venezuela thread. I work full-time on Venezuela-related issues, including broadly the human rights situation in the country. I come to this, the Venezuela thread, to share information about Venezuela because I know that other people come to this thread to do the same, and to receive information about Venezuela. I don't know about Argentina. Maybe I'll check out other sources that are not the Venezuela thread, which specifically deals with Venezuela, to find out more about these non-Venezuela issues.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 15, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chuck Boone posted:

That's interesting, thanks for letting us know.

This is the Venezuela thread. I work full-time on Venezuela-related issues, including broadly the human rights situation in the country. I come to this, the Venezuela thread, to share information about Venezuela because I know that other people come to this thread to do the same, and to receive information about Venezuela. I don't know about Argentina. Maybe I'll check out other sources that are not the Venezuela thread, which specifically deals with Venezuela, to find out more about these non-Venezuela issues.

Compare/contrast is a legitimate technique used to highlight a point. American media bashed Poland when their secret police disappeared a catholic priest during the cold war but justified the the raping of nuns in El Salvador by a right wing junta. The same thing is going on here:

quote:

Argentina took emergency steps to stabilize its currency in the wake of an emerging-market rout caused by Turkey’s crisis, jacking up its already highest-in-the-world interest rate by 5 percentage points and announcing it will sell $500 million to support the peso.

I didn't even realize Argentina beat Venezuela when it came to interest rates, but that's the propaganda model for you.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I totally agree with you. Comparisons can be very useful tools to help us make sense of phenomena.

However, your criticism appears to be that I (or we in the thread) aren't talking about Argentina enough. Why should we? This is the Venezuela thread. I personally don't know the first thing about Argentina, so I wouldn't be able to contribute anything. I do know about Venezuela, hence this thread and my posts.

Plus, it seems like you're suggesting that there is something bad happening in Argentina, and it's a shame that "there is no outrage directed towards [the Argentinian government] or their incompentence" . Well, there's something bad happening in Venezuela, and here we all are directing outrage towards the Venezuelan government and their incompetence, but that's also bad because...?

(Also, there's lots of outrage directed at the Macri government in lots of places. Just not much in the Venezuela thread).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
People should focus less on Venezuela in this, the Venezuela thread.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

People should focus less on Venezuela in this, the Venezuela thread.

Talk of Venezuela is unfair and is probably activity of Capitalist Gangster, how dare one is bad all the food is gone!

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

No matter how badly Macri screws up or bends democratic institutions like the Central Bank of Argentina nobody will care, meanwhile every bit of news out of venezuela that isn't unfriendly to the regime has to be scrutinized and backed up by 10 sources and R Kelly's probation officer. It's the textbook propaganda model chomsky came up with during the cold war to describe US reporting.

Having lived in Argentina for seven months now and for 28 years in Venezuela, I can tell you that to compare the magnitude of Venezuela's crisis to that of Argentina means you have absolutely zero idea of what the former is going through, what life is like there, or even just the scale of abuse committed by the Venezuelan government. In fact, it's somehow amazing you've managed to read up on Venezuela so much and still remain completely ignorant on the state of the country of what the causes of its problems are.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Caps lock is reading russia today archives and posting his findings in this thread without ever being in the same hemisphere as venezuela. Cant wait till he goes back to the china thread to be a racist some more

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 15, 2018

fnox
May 19, 2013

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I was the first to retract it. Again, it was AP who ran the gas leak story, the reason nothing came out in other outlets that I trust for hours was because the military detained literally every reporter who was there for the entire day. I posted the videos of the drones exploding , not you.

The government routinely claims that they're being attacked by terrorists, rebels, assassins and the like. Maduro had claimed many, many times before there had been attempts on his life without showing any evidence other than the supposed plotters being dragged out to jail. They routinely blame their own faults on sabotage and on the completely toothless opposition, so I'm sorry if I decided not to believe them that time because they're pathological liars.

Oh yeah did we forget that two opposition figureheads are being blamed for the attack with zero substantial evidence being shown? The government's connection with the truth is tenuous at best.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Caps Lock: Fnox (and several others, maybe even myself I don't remember) jumped the gun and said that Maduro's drone attack story seemed fishy, but then after recanted this in face of new evidence, much of that evidence from the Venezuelan government.

You, on the other hand, will stick to your story that has little evidence, and you will stick to it—apparently—to the death. There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but there is something wrong with being as aggressively ignorant as you are, especially when you're in a thread where like half of the regular posters are Venezuelans. You also keep bringing it back to "AMERIKKKKA NEOLIRBIERALMS" but I don't think any of the Venezuelan posters are American, and nearly everyone in this thread is in favor of a social safety net, social programs, etc. No one in this thread is spouting off about Ayn Rand, but you and that other dude whose name I can't remember are as off the wall ignorant as some 16 year old talking about how Ayn Randian capitalism is the only thing that will save the world.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
During the cold war, the US criticized human rights abuses in Eastern Europe while remaining silent on human rights abuses in South America. Today, the US criticizes human rights abuses in Syria and Iran, while remaining silent on human rights abuses in Israel and Saudi Arabia. The list can be expanded indefinitely.
This is hypocrisy. We all know that. You're not coming into this thread with some obscure, hitherto unknown facts. No-one in this thread thinks there isn't evil poo poo happening in capitalist countries.

You know that going "What about Argentina!?" is disingenuous. In this, the Venezuela thread, we focus on what's happening in Venezuela. You know that.

You know that going "The West is hypocritical in who it criticizes!!" is disingenuous. Hypocrisy on part of western governments and/or media does not justify unlawful detention in Venezuela. You know that.

You know that trying to steer the topic away from Venezuela to the US and other South American nations isn't engaging in honest discussion.

Can you even admit that unlawful detention is bad, no matter if it's in Guantanamo or la Tumba?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

During the cold war, the US criticized human rights abuses in Eastern Europe while remaining silent on human rights abuses in South America. Today, the US criticizes human rights abuses in Syria and Iran, while remaining silent on human rights abuses in Israel and Saudi Arabia. The list can be expanded indefinitely.
This is hypocrisy. We all know that. You're not coming into this thread with some obscure, hitherto unknown facts. No-one in this thread thinks there isn't evil poo poo happening in capitalist countries.

You know that going "What about Argentina!?" is disingenuous. In this, the Venezuela thread, we focus on what's happening in Venezuela. You know that.

You know that going "The West is hypocritical in who it criticizes!!" is disingenuous. Hypocrisy on part of western governments and/or media does not justify unlawful detention in Venezuela. You know that.

You know that trying to steer the topic away from Venezuela to the US and other South American nations isn't engaging in honest discussion.

Can you even admit that unlawful detention is bad, no matter if it's in Guantanamo or la Tumba?

It's always great seeing leftists with their moral compasses still intact come to the slow, dawning realization that most of their colleagues gave up on opposing human rights abuses and imperialism not backed by the Pentagon a long time ago.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

If you want to rail against the capitalist looters and wreckers who are sabotaging Venezuela then maybe you should start with high-ranking PSUV members that have millions of dollars in their bank accounts and whose children go to opulent foreign schools. Family members of those high-ranking officials also keep immigrating to the US either to live in mansions or live in prisons after getting caught with massive amounts of cocaine. I've been reading this thread for years and I've watched a LOT of these Venezuelan posters escape with nothing but a plane ticket and the shirt on their back. Most of them have lived in extreme poverty, and were homeless and/or ate from trash cans. In fact a hardcore Chavista poster, who was a white American, came in here and literally mocked them for having eaten from trash cans. Some of them still live in Venezuela.

We recently had one Venegoon who had starving banditos roaming the countryside slaughtering his cows in the field for something to eat. A Venezuelan officer & his soldiers came along and scared them off, not because he gave a poo poo but because he was looking for a crate of stolen alcohol and interrogating the local farmers & ranchers. The Venegoon with cows is lucky to have anything at all. My aunt lives on a farm, she has cows, and she's still broke and desperate. My mom buys her groceries and hides it from my dad.

The people in Venezuela don't have food or medicine, and many of these posters have swallowed bitter tears attempting in vain to get their family members out. Whose sister was ready to go but got kicked off the plane again? I know it's one of you guys. We've watched elections being stolen, we've watched elections being cancelled, we've watched the opposition-controlled legislature get beaten and tear gassed and kicked out of the Parliament building. This is why the Venezuelans don't take the gringo American Chavistas in this thread seriously and heap scorn upon you. The Venezuela they've seen and lived in might as well be another planet from the place you read about on WSWS or Jacobin or Russia Today.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Posting Telesur's bullshit in this thread should be a bannable offense ffs

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Praising Pinochet in this thread is totally A-OK but posting about how Telesur is getting censored on US social media platforms should be a bannable offense.

Should BBC, CBC, PBS, also be banned because they are "state-owned" media? (Of course not, because they're owned by imperialist states)

I keep giving the benefit of the doubt to people that let themselves be concern-trolled by fascists pretending to be liberals, and who tolerate them and their rhetoric because they can't tell what they're actually doing, but I'm starting to think that this whole thread is actually just that: people who want Trump to invade Venezuela and install a fascist dictator and throw all the leftists from helicopters, pretending to be concerned liberal centrists on the internet because they know know that's the only way anyone will pay attention to the poo poo they're peddling.

In 2018 you would think any good-faith liberal still remaining would have started asking themselves question about what they're doing wrong and why they keep getting themselves swept into feeding the far-right over and over again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bob le Moche posted:

Praising Pinochet in this thread is totally A-OK

Hey rear end in a top hat I have a challenge for you: how about you find a single instance of this happening in this thread. I loving dare you

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

Praising Pinochet in this thread is totally A-OK but posting about how Telesur is getting censored on US social media platforms should be a bannable offense.

Should BBC, CBC, PBS, also be banned because they are "state-owned" media? (Of course not, because they're owned by imperialist states)

I keep giving the benefit of the doubt to people that let themselves be concern-trolled by fascists pretending to be liberals, and who tolerate them and their rhetoric because they can't tell what they're actually doing, but I'm starting to think that this whole thread is actually just that: people who want Trump to invade Venezuela and install a fascist dictator and throw all the leftists from helicopters, pretending to be concerned liberal centrists on the internet because they know know that's the only way anyone will pay attention to the poo poo they're peddling.

In 2018 you would think any good-faith liberal still remaining would have started asking themselves question about what they're doing wrong and why they keep getting themselves swept into feeding the far-right over and over again.

"Praising Pinochet" consisted of fnox saying something the lines of, "at least Chile was able to somewhat recover after his reign, I doubt that will be the case for Venezuela and Maduro". What planet are you living on?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I mean people have hyperbolically noted they'd prefer Pinochet to Maduro which is what he'll point to without realizing such a statement isn't praise for the former but a scathing indictment of the latter.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Feinne posted:

I mean people have hyperbolically noted they'd prefer Pinochet to Maduro which is what he'll point to without realizing such a statement isn't praise for the former but a scathing indictment of the latter.

"I'm not praising Pinochet, I'm just saying I prefer him to Allende"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

I'm a retarded idiot.

That's also a pretty loving serious insult to Allende you're doing by saying comparing him and Pinochet is equivalent to comparing Maduro and Pinochet.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 15, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Reminder:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm surprised CAPS LOCK BROKEN and Bob le Moche haven't been relegated to everyone's ignore lists by now. You all know these guys are good for nothing but threadshitting and they'll continue to do so until a mod decides to make it rain month-long probations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bob le Moche posted:

"I'm not praising Pinochet, I'm just saying I prefer him to Allende"

Only loving similarity between Allende and Maduro is the letter d in their names, their species, and their gender.