Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Just tonight I've suddenly started having a weird issue where a movement key seems to get stuck and I'm permanently jumping, strafing etc. Unplugging my keyboard doesn't stop it. Any ideas?

you spilled anything into your keyboard in the past that might have dried and cause a short on and off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Bizarrely running a Windows update I had queued up seems to have cleared this... I don't think it really could have been that, but it's stopped at any rate. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you want to work on a Rune do you have to play as the character that the rune is for, or do you get credit towards it for playing any character (except for the ones that are based on a specific trait for a character).

Like I have one for Ranger to win TDM games - can I play TDM as another character and still get credit toward that rune?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You have to be ranger at the end of some tdm games that you win to get credit.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Hrmmm new patch and now the game keeps randomly crashing on me when a match ends. Been playing since closed beta and this is brand new. Weird.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

cougar cub posted:

Hrmmm new patch and now the game keeps randomly crashing on me when a match ends. Been playing since closed beta and this is brand new. Weird.

You submit a bug report?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I put in a ticket with Twitch and they sent me all the Quake Con goodies. Holy crap the new keyboard and mouse make a hella difference playing.

I'm going through all the champions to see who I like. So far Ranger and Slash are great but I got a few more Champions left to try.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any good control layouts for guns? Realizing that rockets, lightning and rail might be the most important weapons has me confused why the controls are the way they are.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What do you mean? Rocket, rail, and lg are bound to Q, R, and E by default.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

hawowanlawow posted:

What do you mean? Rocket, rail, and lg are bound to Q, R, and E by default.

Didn't initially realize this but the default seems solid

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The change I made to the weapon controls was to move the gauntlet to c and then move all the guns down 1 space. It makes sense for the HMG to be on one to me since on the HUD it's in the highest slot, it also makes it easier to hit the tri-bolt. I moved crouch to x.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Housh posted:

I put in a ticket with Twitch and they sent me all the Quake Con goodies. Holy crap the new keyboard and mouse make a hella difference playing.

I'm going through all the champions to see who I like. So far Ranger and Slash are great but I got a few more Champions left to try.

What did you end up getting? Now you just need a monitor I guess. Glad twitch hooked you up.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah sorry I logged in and had all the rewards in my notification after I played my first match

It was awesome EPIC & rare

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I had been playing on a 3570k with a 1070 at 1440p and the game was pretty smooth, just moved over to an 8700k and a 1070 at 1440p and i keep getting micro stutters. The performance icon is showing a yellow video with an exclamation point. Anyone know what causes that?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had been playing on a 3570k with a 1070 at 1440p and the game was pretty smooth, just moved over to an 8700k and a 1070 at 1440p and i keep getting micro stutters. The performance icon is showing a yellow video with an exclamation point. Anyone know what causes that?

Try running a batch file for high CPU priority

code:
start steam://rungameid/611500
@echo Launching Quake Champions
@echo Setting High Priority in [30 seconds]
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
wmic process where name="QuakeChampions.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"
I mostly just want to see if it's still useful now, I started using it ages ago and haven't stopped. I haven't really run into any of the issues people complain about so I've just kept it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Unfortunately I don't know what that means :(

GeForce experience and windows gaming both a bunch of stupid poo poo on. Turned them off and I'm going to try a match now

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Copy that into notepad, save as .bat, run it to start quake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Unfortunately I don't know what that means :(

GeForce experience and windows gaming both a bunch of stupid poo poo on. Turned them off and I'm going to try a match now

Take the text he posted and paste it into a text file and then rename it DOSTUFF.bat and then double click on it.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The best thing about a small community is that if you're bad at this game, you can still get in and play games vs. pros and community streamers. In the last week, I've played with or against Dooi, Makaveli, FrothyOmen, Ketchup, JKaplan, 40lions, etc.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know who these people are but I played against some really good people tonight and really proud I'm still a decent player despite not playing a shooter using a mouse and keyboard in 20 years lol

I've tried up to DOOM Slayer. BJ's akimbo move is cool but I kinda didn't like him. I see a lot of high kill count players using Death Knight. Can't wait to try that character.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i am an old who quit playing overwatch because of the general toxicity and cant hang in stuff like battlefield but for some reason this one just clicked right away

the only thing i cant do is turn down the mouse sensitivity as far as i know i should. when i lose a 1v1 because i fibonacci my whole arm 6 inches too far and run out of mouse pad it pisses me off and i turn it right back up again, anyway

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Circle jumping with surf man is my current hotness. Been playing a lot of duals and you can pull off some pretty crazy pathing with his air strafing

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've been getting back in to this game after not playing since early beta testing. It feels really nice now and I'm getting some good quake3 vibes. There's still nothing like bouncing people with rockets and fragging them when they are helplessly flying around. Or getting that perfect rail from across them map. :getin:

It's sad more people aren't playing though. 10K people were watching quakecon on twitch and I assumed servers would be packed.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This game keeps putting me in 2v2 games where I don't know what the gently caress is happening and the other team somehow is spawning with railguns and max stack?

It's kinda rear end trying to learn this game tbh

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Agoat posted:

This game keeps putting me in 2v2 games where I don't know what the gently caress is happening and the other team somehow is spawning with railguns and max stack?

Are you doing quick play? and if so do you have instagib ticked? Instagib is rails only with (mostly) 1 shot kills.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Agoat posted:

Like 80% of pro Quake is about grabbing weapons and stack as fast as physically possible on spawn, or zoning people so they can't do so. Proper pro players can basically fly straight through the map hoovering up the best gear in seconds. Its basically wizardry to me even, I just stick to playing casual deathmatch and instagib :shrug: I can do some decent strafejumping but I can't do some of the maneuvers the pros can.

To be fair its not really intuitive, you just need to practice and also watch other people and learn from what they can do. Start here if you're serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbE5ACCB74o (this guy isn't even good he just explains things well, look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIpgMk2DBIw its just 2 people but the map feels so claustrophobic)

Are you playing TDM casual and getting into 2v2s or are you queuing for competitive 2v2s? What region you in?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 15, 2018

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

boar guy posted:

i am an old who quit playing overwatch because of the general toxicity and cant hang in stuff like battlefield but for some reason this one just clicked right away

the only thing i cant do is turn down the mouse sensitivity as far as i know i should. when i lose a 1v1 because i fibonacci my whole arm 6 inches too far and run out of mouse pad it pisses me off and i turn it right back up again, anyway

having a relatively high sens is fine for quake because there is huge variability in how fast players can move; in overwatch and battlefield everybody runs at the same speed, there is no real movement etc, just hold down W to run at a fixed rate. there is even an argument to be made for having accel on, if you invest the time to master it

clawz plays with crazy high dpi/sens/accel and, well, he does poo poo like this: https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientEnjoyableLettuceNinjaGrumpy

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing casual in North America. I feel like. I'm just being matched up against godlike players when I shouldn't be.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's a weird mix right now of preternatural Visors and Rangers who stand still while shooting you at a distance with a shotgun.

I didn't think I'd work out with a light character but Nyx is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Cloaking around people's backs to blast them pointblank isn't going to get old any time soon.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The queue times are so bad for me that I’ve been doing vs ai because of how fast games start. I’m not that good but my unranked elo is too high for quick games.

I miss server browsers so much.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Housh posted:

I don't know who these people are but I played against some really good people tonight and really proud I'm still a decent player despite not playing a shooter using a mouse and keyboard in 20 years lol

I've tried up to DOOM Slayer. BJ's akimbo move is cool but I kinda didn't like him. I see a lot of high kill count players using Death Knight. Can't wait to try that character.

As someone who's using deathknight right now and averaged a 3.0 KDR last night with over 30 kills per match he's far from the most lethal and far from the best right now. I think the larger issue is that he's knew so everyone who got the all champions pack (which is generally the people who play the most and are the most serious) jumped to him. He's not the most killy really. Him, BJ, Ranger all have I win buttons. But fewer people have learned how to deal with his. His effectiveness is going to go down once rebalancing happens in the next patch or two. Chasing busted character to busted character is a losing game unless you go all and purchase the character patch and jump on them as soon as possible before people learn to counter him and the balancing kicks in.

Another thing is that there are probably bots in your game right now, see screen shot and spot them. Bots are free kills for most players. So if you are playing a character with explosive damage potential your kill count will inflate more than others.

Also maps matter. They moved the 1v1 maps into TDM and in this small enclosed spaces lights and movement characters lose out a bit compared to people who just spam damage down a hall. Then there is the fact that some characters (Galena, Visor) are really better when you are on coms with people.

I'll be on voice in discord tonight if you want to grab some games.

Picture to spot the bots and for death knight ramapge

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Like 80% of pro Quake is about grabbing weapons and stack as fast as physically possible on spawn, or zoning people so they can't do so. Proper pro players can basically fly straight through the map hoovering up the best gear in seconds. Its basically wizardry to me even, I just stick to playing casual deathmatch and instagib :shrug: I can do some decent strafejumping but I can't do some of the maneuvers the pros can.

To be fair its not really intuitive, you just need to practice and also watch other people and learn from what they can do. Start here if you're serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbE5ACCB74o (this guy isn't even good he just explains things well, look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIpgMk2DBIw its just 2 people but the map feels so claustrophobic)

Are you playing TDM casual and getting into 2v2s or are you queuing for competitive 2v2s? What region you in?

On the 2v2 the game will match you in a 2v2 with with people all in your ELO range and then bounce in other players or bots later, ditto with 3v3.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MysteriousStranger posted:

On the 2v2 the game will match you in a 2v2 with with people all in your ELO range and then bounce in other players or bots later, ditto with 3v3.

There's no bots in modes other than the specific Bots TDM mode now.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

MJBuddy posted:

Then I feel bad for all those people I curb stomped and thought were bots last night.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

MysteriousStranger posted:

Then I feel bad for all those people I curb stomped and thought were bots last night.

:same:

I was running like 10 frags above the other team in tdm, and we got to 75 before 8 min a few times when they had like 30 frags

People aren't used to a fast paced game anymore, or running to grab health when they get shot at because in games like battlefield I'd you.are gettting shot at you are probably going to die

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

Since Free to Play? (when I joined)

I hope I didn't get this inflated sense of confidence from my first hour playing. I hate that bullshit like the PUBG mobile release.

----

I have an old PS3 headset I use for coms in Fortnite. I haven't checked but does QC have coms built in or is everyone using discord? I have yet to hear anyone say anything.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Housh posted:

I hope I didn't get this inflated sense of confidence from my first hour playing. I hate that bullshit like the PUBG mobile release.

----

I have an old PS3 headset I use for coms in Fortnite. I haven't checked but does QC have coms built in or is everyone using discord? I have yet to hear anyone say anything.

Nobody uses built in everyone is on discord.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What do you guys bind gauntlet to? I got the Rival 310 so I'm thinking of using one of those extra mouse buttons. Any suggestions?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Housh posted:

Bots were removed largely during the Elo reset a few weeks back and entirely at the pre-Quakecon patch. Bots are only in Bot TDM mode and custom games. The first match after training IS against bots but you only play them until you hit level 2. And then you can play whatever.

Last patch it was really easy to feel like you were crushing it because knew players didn't know the bot names and you had to play two matches minimum of TDM that had bots only but wasn't clear that they were bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really appreciate that custom matches with bots gives you currency and experience.