Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This an extremely hosed up story, she was capable of making her own decisions about her medical care but they didn't allow her to leave of her own will and sent the loving cops after her.

Worth the read, what a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

i shoulda explained a little, but the tldr is that a hospital held a family's daugther against her will and they had to break her out and escape the police in order to get a second opinion about her medical condition

in america

the hospital is one of the 'most reputable'

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's less Cyberpunk and more 19th century though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

WampaLord posted:

This an extremely hosed up story, she was capable of making her own decisions about her medical care but they didn't allow her to leave of her own will and sent the loving cops after her.

in mental institutions patients often fake the mood that indicates they're "cured" because they'll keep the patients far, far longer than need be to milk the cost. also if you're improperly admitted by a parent and you don't act different they'll think nothings changed and keep you until you do (or the drugs you dont need) do.

america loving owns.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

Unable to find the family, the police pinged their cell phones. This pointed them to an Applebee's restaurant in Mankato, Minnesota, about 85 miles west of Rochester. Officers searched the restaurant and a nearby Five Guys but couldn't find Alyssa, according to a Mankato police report.

After the calls from police, Alyssa's parents figured out that their phones were being pinged and took the batteries out.

is pretty cyberpunk

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

galenanorth posted:

is pretty cyberpunk

Just need some punk-looking assholes with guns doing the "kidnap job"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

WampaLord posted:

remember how everyone blamed that thing with the dying english baby on nationalized healthcare? lol

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MizPiz posted:

Just need some punk-looking assholes with guns doing the "kidnap job"

Hell timelines' cyberpunk fuzz are some nerd in a polo shirt and khakis alongside two pigs in 'tactical' clothing.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
On the one hand, a ruptured loving aneurysm is v serious and she is lucky to be alive and was probably the best course to keep her under medical monitoring for a long time to ensure she heals appropriately

on the other if she wants to die and her parents dont care because she *~seems fine~* then lmao make them sign a waiver of all liability and that they qont seek treatment w you again and send them on their stupid way

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hospitals do sometimes do get empowered to act in their patients' best interest, regardless of their protests (most notably with newborn infants), but that was a little much. Not trusting a patient with brain damage to necessarily have good judgement is reasonable, offhandedly assuming that the mother was mentally ill is sketchy, skipping over the father and just trying to get guardianship appointed on their own is...much.

Incidentally, that institution of guardianship is getting used to steal old people's money. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2pEffLEJo

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hospitals do sometimes do get empowered to act in their patients' best interest, regardless of their protests (most notably with newborn infants), but that was a little much. Not trusting a patient with brain damage to necessarily have good judgement is reasonable, offhandedly assuming that the mother was mentally ill is sketchy, skipping over the father and just trying to get guardianship appointed on their own is...much.

Incidentally, that institution of guardianship is getting used to steal old people's money. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2pEffLEJo

Especially the bit where they considered her mentally competent enough to agree to treatments but wouldn't allow her to make any other decisions.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Even India is better than Mayo.

https://health.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/hospitals/hospitals-cant-hold-patients-hostage-for-unpaid-bills-delhi-high-court/58391026

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ahahahahahahahaha hahahaha what

nebraska executed a prisoner with fentanyl

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phone posted:

It can’t be worse than the usual cocktail,

…the components of which state have been foiled in procuring,

…which is why Nebraska turned to Fetanyl®.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what's even worse is that this is the first execution since 1997, they abolished the death penalty in 2015, and then reinstated it via referendum in 2016.

what a cursed country.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1G3k4iF094

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

At least the guy probably felt great unlike the way they got executed before which was to paralyze you then let you lay there feeling all your organs shut down.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Phone posted:

what's even worse is that this is the first execution since 1997, they abolished the death penalty in 2015, and then reinstated it via referendum in 2016.

what a cursed country.

better off dead than living in the midwest

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
yeah that’s how I want to die

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Moose-Alini posted:

yeah that’s how I want to die

Monty Python had an interesting alternative execution method in The Meaning Of Life.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanomashoes posted:

At least the guy probably felt great unlike the way they got executed before which was to paralyze you then let you lay there feeling all your organs shut down.

its extremely barbaric lol. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to go 'why not just use a lethal dose of morphine' since the EU stopped selling us the torture drug part

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phone posted:

it was actually part of a cocktail

Valium and fentanyl to put him to sleep
cisatracurium besylate to paralyze
potassium chloride to kill

that last one is the only one that has been used in previous executions, everything else was new

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Main Paineframe posted:

it was actually part of a cocktail

Valium and fentanyl to put him to sleep
cisatracurium besylate to paralyze
potassium chloride to kill

that last one is the only one that has been used in previous executions, everything else was new

the craft mixology scene in Omaha is crazy right now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand why they need to use a poison to kill them when opioids are already real lethal at high doses

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't understand why they need to use a poison to kill them when opioids are already real lethal at high doses

when human rights watch asked that question to the guy who came up with the three-drug cocktail, his answer was, and I quote, "Why not?"

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2006/us0406/3.htm

other fun fact: the reason lethal injection was first adopted was because OK's electric chair was broken and they didn't want to pay for repairs

Main Paineframe has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Aug 16, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

when human rights watch asked that question to the guy who came up with the three-drug cocktail, his answer was, and I quote, "Why not?"

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2006/us0406/3.htm

other fun fact: the reason lethal injection was first adopted was because OK's electric chair was broken and they didn't want to pay for repairs

lol at "I didn't do any research"

quote:

In addition to his work on the statute, Chapman developed the original three-drug protocol used by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections.45 Although Oklahoma’s statute specifies two drugs, Chapman included a third drug, potassium chloride.46 When Human Rights Watch asked Chapman why he added a third drug to the two drugs specified in the statute, he replied, “Why not?” He went on to explain that, even though the other chemicals, in the dosages called for, would kill the prisoner, “You just wanted to make sure the prisoner was dead at the end, so why not just add a third lethal drug?” He is not sure why he picked potassium chloride. “I didn’t do any research … it’s just common knowledge. Doctors know potassium chloride is lethal. Why does it matter why I chose it?”47

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
should have stuck with the firing squad

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
C-SPAM: Dedicated to the Brave Mujahideen Fighters of Afghanistan › cyberpunk dystopia: Why does it matter why I chose it?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hes no Fred A. Leuchter

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paf-iSf2Mr4

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

INSIDE PALMER LUCKEY’S BID TO BUILD A BORDER WALL

How the Oculus founder, along with ex-Palantir executives, plans to reinvent national security, starting with Trump's agenda.

Palmer Luckey—yes, that Palmer Luckey, the 25-year-old entrepreneur who founded the virtual reality company Oculus, sold it to Facebook, and then left Facebook in a haze of political controversy—hands me a Samsung Gear VR headset. 

https://www.wired.com/story/palmer-luckey-anduril-border-wall/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the view count is proof we are a sick species

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

16,000 likes :eyepop:

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The father trying to beat the motherfucker's rear end in the courtroom who killed his daughter was pretty dope not gonna lie

I would have done the same thing

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I watched like ten seconds before it cut to a yell-talker who looks like he only makes youtubes because he's legally required to stay 500 feet from any future magic: the gathering tournaments

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

the view count is proof we are a sick species

There are days I hope for nuclear annihilation

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KomradeX posted:

There are days I hope for nuclear annihilation

I honestly don't think I've ever had a day where I didn't

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m3Vf-E9FBA

homemade drone bomber in Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever had a day where I didn't

There are days I think maybe we can make things better. Those tend to be days I don't check the news or remember that capitalism is going to cook us all to death