Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do elim credits work in squad game modes? Is it credited to the person that did the knock down, and if someone executes them whilst they are down they get no credit?

From observations:

The credit on the initial knockdown goes to the person that reduces the opponent player's health to zero, even if they didn't do the majority of the damage. When the down-but-not-out player is finally eliminated, the player that did the knockdown gets the elimination credit, even if another player got the final blow. All other players that did damage to the opponent but that did not land the knockdown or final blow will see it marked as an Assist in their stats. Assists give no XP or challenge credit.

As of a few patches ago, it's a bit different for weapon-specific elimination challenges. The player that gets the knockdown will get weapon elimination credit once the player is actually eliminated. But, the player that did the knockdown can also switch weapons and go for the final blow with a different weapon. Both the knockdown and final blow count as different eliminations if you use different weapons, for weapon elimination challenge purposes only. Damage done against knocked down opponents also counts as normal weapon damage for weapon damage eliminations. If you've been seeing people break out the sniper rifle for knocked down players, now you know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
You can get stuck on some of the viking roofs if you try to glide in and land.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

codo27 posted:

You're not looking hard enough! There are 3 in every game I believe. And as said above, scout from the air, though honestly I see most just by chance because I scout around on the ground compulsively. I often find them near hills, sometimes even in cliffs outright rather than a wide open plain, but thats just my experience. They aren't all that big so you gotta keep your eyes peeled, but the purple color should make them easy enough to spot unless you're on switch or mobile or some poo poo.

I think having nearly 100 people in each match, and who knows how many of them still need the achievement, might contribute as well. I've had a couple of days where I do nothing for an hour straight but drop into games and glide around looking to no avail. I've even gone back into replays and searched the entire map while people are dropping.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Question, did they introduce conc grenades?

Cause I think I got hit by one last night I think and thought it was lag.

I was in a battle and my character just jumped back like 15 feet and I was like what the gently caress was that ?!?!

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

A Man and his Hog posted:

Question, did they introduce conc grenades?

Cause I think I got hit by one last night I think and thought it was lag.

I was in a battle and my character just jumped back like 15 feet and I was like what the gently caress was that ?!?!

Impulse nade

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My greatest regret is the time I landed on top of the tallest building in Tilted next to another guy, picked up impulse grenades, and failed to bounce him off the roof before he shot me. The grenades just pushed him back into the little wall.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My greatest regret is the time I landed on top of the tallest building in Tilted next to another guy, picked up impulse grenades, and failed to bounce him off the roof before he shot me. The grenades just pushed him back into the little wall.

"Oh, this is going to be SOO AWES-

gently caress."

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay, still having this dumb poo poo on Xbox where I can't press anything on the menus. Especially annoying when I'm selecting which mode, seeing I only play br

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

I think having nearly 100 people in each match, and who knows how many of them still need the achievement, might contribute as well. I've had a couple of days where I do nothing for an hour straight but drop into games and glide around looking to no avail. I've even gone back into replays and searched the entire map while people are dropping.

Without a doubt the best way to look for llamas is to not try and find them. You’ll drive yourself crazy. Just land somewhere in the outer edge of the map, so you’ll probably have to cover a lot of ground as the game goes on, and play as normal.

So I play on the PS4, after not really playing for months, and in the intervening time a minority of players have become scarily good at this game at a level it no way going to be able to compete directly without a TON of practice. And since they’re most likely 12 years old and have the summer off to do nothing but play this game all day every day, I’m not going to be outbuilding them any time soon.

But I’ve found the solution, the great equaliser. The minigun. Don’t know if on PC there’s an easy way to escape the spam, but on the PS4 once you stop to reload and give me a chance to start up the minigun, seems like you’re basically dead. Can’t outbuild it, it does obscene damage if you try to switch to your gun. It’s been very effective at letting me kill players I have no business fighting. I also don’t think I EVER see anyone else use it. It’s all drum guns and smgs when people want to knock a wall down. Occasionally explosives.

Major weakness: does consume 12 ammo a second, but I find once you get to the last ten or so each kill tends to drop enough ammo to sustain the gun.

I haven’t come across anyone using it in solos, does anyone have any ideas how you’d survive?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
If they have a lot of mats, they can out-build your spam. If they're fast enough, they can build ramps to the point where they can get above you.

It's favorable in squads. Certainly can be annoying, but rarely shifts the tides of many fights.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I feel bad for people having Llama trouble. I spot one every couple days just running around in different modes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Now that I'm finished with the llama challenge I see probably 3x as many of them :iiam:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You can just shoot the lama if you are going for the achievement.

Yeah my friend was sure I was loving with him and ready to kill me if I did but you can just break the llama by any means and it releases the loot and completes the quest. Pickaxing it is faster than holding a button on it as far as I can tell

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
My favorite llama spot of all time was right in the middle of the streets in Tilted... the ensuing 10 min gun battle between like 20 people was :black101:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you go looking for a Llama you'll never find it. :eng101:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My favorite llama this season was the one more or less sitting right in the middle of a 50v50 circle, with seemingly nobody paying any attention to it. And not even obscured or anything, it was out in the open at Lazy Links. So imagine my surprise when I spotted it my thermal scope. I had gotten one already for the challenge so I waited to see if anyone else was going to go for it, but nope, ended up taking it.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
my tireless campaigning is starting to pay off

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

objectively bad posted:

my tireless campaigning is starting to pay off

This has hardly anything to do with your engagement of the year.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
every change that even slightly reduces the chances of someone picking up a minigun and firing it at me is a victory

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

objectively bad posted:

every change that even slightly reduces the chances of someone picking up a minigun and firing it at me is a victory

I’ll now be imagining you in my head as reading patch notes with Rocky music. Big mood.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
They should really make rocky running/celebration emote. I'd have to do it every time I reach the top of a ramp and would probably die a lot as a result.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Set out yesterday to get the top 25 in solo challenge, ended up top 2 (still haven't won D:). Had a legendary shotgun and panicked and let the guy ramp up on me. When am I gonna learn to do that poo poo myself? Then I was going for the third top 12 squads challenge, betrayed my team and hosed off to ensure I stayed safe (tired of dying with randoms) and ended up in the final 3 in Haunted, and it sure looked to me like we were all solo but I was wrong, and one of them managed to flank and snipe me when I had no quality ranged weapons.
Still only 1/3 done the explosive damage, and I know I hit one guy with a grenade and proceeded to finish him off with guns, didn't count. Killed a guy with a clinger...after he had killed me, didn't count. Fucks sake.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

objectively bad posted:

They should really make rocky running/celebration emote. I'd have to do it every time I reach the top of a ramp and would probably die a lot as a result.

Meanwhile I’m still kicking myself for not buying Pumpernickel. At least Work It Out is fine-ish.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Playing on Xbox One X and it seems every second update stops the game from starting and I have to delete and re-download. Issue for anyone else?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See my post earlier on the page, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the game not starting. I get stuck at the mode select sometimes, but because the controller only gray highlights stuff but cant actually select any of it.

I really prefer my monitors for sound but in the interest of whoever I'm playing with I really oughta get a headset. Looking for something compatible with PC and Xbone, doesn't have to be wireless. Dont want to spend a fortune. Suggestions?

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

codo27 posted:

Set out yesterday to get the top 25 in solo challenge, ended up top 2 (still haven't won D:). Had a legendary shotgun and panicked and let the guy ramp up on me. When am I gonna learn to do that poo poo myself?

If someone's ramping towards you, you either need to immediately gain height or shoot them down. They're about to gain a massive advantage, if you let them, so no time for hesitation. If they're close enough that they'll be able to land on your builds once/before you shoot them down, don't bother shooting and just build to gain height.

Spend some time in playground mode practising building. I changed all of my keybinds a few weeks back and was able to perfect ramp+wall+flat rushing within a couple of hours. Same with quick edits, just putting the time in helps you build up your muscle memory. Gonna spend some time in playground this weekend learning double ramp+wall+flat because that's intimidating as hell, especially if you're with someone else or a group who can do it too.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

codo27 posted:

See my post earlier on the page, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the game not starting. I get stuck at the mode select sometimes, but because the controller only gray highlights stuff but cant actually select any of it.

I really prefer my monitors for sound but in the interest of whoever I'm playing with I really oughta get a headset. Looking for something compatible with PC and Xbone, doesn't have to be wireless. Dont want to spend a fortune. Suggestions?

Na, mines different. Goes to the splash screen for a few seconds than just drops back to the dash with no explanation.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

objectively bad posted:

If someone's ramping towards you, you either need to immediately gain height or shoot them down. They're about to gain a massive advantage, if you let them, so no time for hesitation. If they're close enough that they'll be able to land on your builds once/before you shoot them down, don't bother shooting and just build to gain height.

Spend some time in playground mode practising building. I changed all of my keybinds a few weeks back and was able to perfect ramp+wall+flat rushing within a couple of hours. Same with quick edits, just putting the time in helps you build up your muscle memory. Gonna spend some time in playground this weekend learning double ramp+wall+flat because that's intimidating as hell, especially if you're with someone else or a group who can do it too.

What did you end up changing your binds to?

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I was previously using the default binds except I switched the builds from the F1-5 keys to the 1-5 keys. The change I went with recently was:

wall = q (previously 1)
ramp = e (previously 3)
flat = shift (previously 2)
roof = 4
trap = 5
open/use = one of my g402 lmbs (previously e)
switch between building/weapons = the other g402 lmb (previously q)
weapon binds are just side mouse buttons, & middle click for slots 1, 2 & 3 and then just scrolling to get 4 or 5th weapon slot.

I haven't gotten round do it yet, but I'm also gonna change capslock from auto run to edit, which is still set to g.

I don't really know why I ever thought having both flat using the same finger as either ramp or wall was ever a good idea. These binds make ramp/wall/flat incredibly easy & comfortable.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 15, 2018

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

codo27 posted:

Still only 1/3 done the explosive damage, and I know I hit one guy with a grenade and proceeded to finish him off with guns, didn't count. Killed a guy with a clinger...after he had killed me, didn't count. Fucks sake.

I managed to sneak up on a squad in 50v50 behind enemy lines last night and finish this. I dropped 3 or 4 gas grenades on a guy who was shooting the other way. He panicked and hid somewhere next to another teammate. I stuck him with the sticky grenades and blew both up. Finished both off with my drumgun Then I ran around a ramp of their teammate who had no clue what I just did and gunned him down with the drumgun. Managed to finish the weekly grenade challenge and also a daily smg challenge at the same time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Drum counts as a SMG? In a game where rockets constitute grenade launcher ammo I guess its not that strange.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Finally got my second sniper kill in the cheapest way possible. some person started shooting me inside the storm (we both could have made it) so I turned around and started sniping, finally downed them under the lake. I had no way of finding them. Then it was a mad dash to the circle where they died a half second before I did which still gave me the kill but god dammit the name of this game should be "Hilariously Dickish".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This "three kills in one match" is horseshit in what it counts. I got two kills, dropped a clinger right before I died and got a kill about 2 seconds after my death....and that clinger kill counted as 1 kill in a different match, not the 3rd kill if the first match

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

objectively bad posted:

I was previously using the default binds except I switched the builds from the F1-5 keys to the 1-5 keys. The change I went with recently was:

wall = q (previously 1)
ramp = e (previously 3)
flat = shift (previously 2)
roof = 4
trap = 5
open/use = one of my g402 lmbs (previously e)
switch between building/weapons = the other g402 lmb (previously q)
weapon binds are just side mouse buttons, & middle click for slots 1, 2 & 3 and then just scrolling to get 4 or 5th weapon slot.

I haven't gotten round do it yet, but I'm also gonna change capslock from auto run to edit, which is still set to g.

I don't really know why I ever thought having both flat using the same finger as either ramp or wall was ever a good idea. These binds make ramp/wall/flat incredibly easy & comfortable.

I do something similar but I just copied some streamers keybinds and they work for me. I imagine a bunch of them use the same so just look up whoevers popular on YouTube and I'm sure you can find good bind ideas.

Mine is something like
Side mouse buttons for wall and ramp
Another mouse button for edit buildings
Q is floor
Shift is pyramid
I still use 123 for weapons and also z and x.

Just try different things out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

To join the non-default keybinding party:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can switch to pickaxe but is there a universal button to go back and forth from pickaxe/last weapon on PC like you can do on console? ^^ okay I guess there is. I always use side button 1 for reload in every game, and I have the forward side button as pickaxe. I still dont build a lot so I still just...scroll..with the wheel...to pick the different structures....cough

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

You can switch to pickaxe but is there a universal button to go back and forth from pickaxe/last weapon on PC like you can do on console? ^^ okay I guess there is. I always use side button 1 for reload in every game, and I have the forward side button as pickaxe. I still dont build a lot so I still just...scroll..with the wheel...to pick the different structures....cough

I've used mouse Back button for like eternity as push to talk in every game and app so my attempts at mouse building were predictably alienating.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kinda like me when for the first, I dunno, 10 years of gaming on PC I pushed the keyboard to the side and use the arrow keys for movement. Then I had that Sidewinder keyboard with the detachable numpad you could put on either end, so I used that before finally switching to WASD.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Drum counts as a SMG? In a game where rockets constitute grenade launcher ammo I guess its not that strange.

It's based on the Thompson submachine gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

The R in RPG launcher does stand for something, as well