Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is that still a thing?

i dunno if it still is since phantom limb and radical left are on the new guild council, and they're both in the season 7 trailer at the guild-OSI summit, but they do have a sweet meteor hideout so probably? impossible industries is still around and this were the front for phantom limb's thing. iirc the last on screen appearance of dr impossible was at jj's funeral, sitting next to sally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

luxury handset posted:

he's a member of the revenge society!

Yeah I mean, I know that, but most of them "died" offscreen on gargantua-2, no?

I think I remember now - Sally pushes him to leave gargantua-2 because he doesn't want her son's father to die.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think I remember now - Sally pushes him to leave gargantua-2 because he doesn't want her son's father to die.

Only member who died for sure was Zero*, the others just got knocked out, also only part of Gargantua 2 got destroyed

*and even then I still wouldn't be surprised if he came back again

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

luxury handset posted:

but they do have a sweet meteor hideout so probably?

The Meteor Hideout is the new Council of 13 headquarters

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

nobody really dies on this show unless the plot directly says "yeah, this dude is dead"

zero was a member of the revenge society and he died offscreen twice before we see explicitly see brock snap his neck

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Didn't Fat Chance black hole himself too? I can't remember been so long since I saw that special.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Fat Chance supposedly can't black hole himself, but the art book mentions that yeah, he sent all the others to safety, so Zero is the only one confirmed dead.

They wanted to have, but couldn't fit in, a scene where Fat Chance is trying to portal himself just before the explosion, and leave it ambiguous if it worked (note that originally he thought he couldn't portal on command either).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: beaten

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Look at these fancy book owning gents.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm nthing the fact that the book rules. I was making do with the pdf and then finally ordered it.

Even knowing that it was a beast from this thread I laughed when I opened it. It's a monster. I love it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It's almost too big to read comfortably. I have to sit at my kitchen table like an 8th grader reading my social studies book

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So its like the size of an RPG rulebook?

My LCS can get it so I'm going to get them order it in for me soonish.

I wonder where the Morpho Cave went.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Wouldn't be a very good secret lair if it didn't have more than one entrance and a way to hide the primary one. Whoever showed up in the car I think hid it with some knowledge that Monarch and 21 don't have to help him avoid being totally screwed for doing what he did.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I sprung for the art book just now this minute

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The only way to permanently die on this show is for someone to eat your butt

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Wouldn't be a very good secret lair if it didn't have more than one entrance and a way to hide the primary one. Whoever showed up in the car I think hid it with some knowledge that Monarch and 21 don't have to help him avoid being totally screwed for doing what he did.

I had completely forgot that another Blue Morpho showed up right before the Venture building started to get funky. Yea that one probably hit the hide switch or something.

You know, I wonder if that is Vendata, recovered enough of its memories or something? It could have been in Dummy Corp too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

The only way to permanently die on this show is for someone to eat your butt

A good if slightly weird future thread name.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I will never forget the first time I heard someone being called a butteater by someone who wasn't a kid on a playground.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

twistedmentat posted:

You know, I wonder if that is Vendata, recovered enough of its memories or something? It could have been in Dummy Corp too.

The last time we saw Vendata was him getting his rear end kicked by Brock so hard it jolted an old memory. Would explain him being missing for what 2 seasons now? Most of the Guild is dead so that was a blessing in disguise he wasn’t whacked like the rest of the others. Also seeing as he’s basically Robocop probably seeing his old beat up house probably also helped.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 15, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

twistedmentat posted:

So its like the size of an RPG rulebook?

My LCS can get it so I'm going to get them order it in for me soonish.

Book big.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rexxed posted:

Book big.

Yea totally about the size of a warhammer main rulebook.

Shindragon posted:

The last time we saw Vendata was him getting his rear end kicked by Brock so hard it jolted an old memory. Would explain him being missing for what 2 seasons now? Most of the Guild is dead so that was a blessing in disguise he wasn’t whacked like the rest of the others. Also seeing as he’s basically Robocop probably seeing his old beat up house probably also helped.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. It could also be connected to Jonas being inside PROBLEM.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Question Friend posted:

There's nothing you're not supposed to remember exists

Except Wide Wale in Dunwich, we’re supposed to forget that exists.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

he's got it figured out. dude just likes killing every once in a while is all

He's a complete psycho, but keeps it to one day a year. He rules, I love that his advice to the Monarch was just telling him to straight up murder Rusty instead of anything actually helpful.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Improbable Lobster posted:

I love that his advice to the Monarch was just telling him to straight up murder Rusty instead of anything actually helpful.
Wouldn't that be helpful though? Monarch's biggest weakness as both a villain and a husband, the only two components of his entire life, is his constant compulsion to ruin Rusty Venture for... reasons still unknown. Possibly even unknown to Monarch himself at this point. If he wants to save his marriage and his career (and possibly his life), the only real answer is to eliminate that compulsion.

There's basically two ways to end the compulsion. Deal with it in some healthy way, or just kill Rusty Venture so that there can be no more target for the compulsion. One of those solutions is really difficult and may never really work, while the other is completely straightforward.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

Also apparently the Shark that Wide Wale stole in the flashback is a real piece of art called The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living by Damien Hirst(who the show has referred to before), which leads to two different likely reasons why Dugong was giving him crap about it; 1) said piece is an already dead shark preserved in formaldehyde(thus making useless for his work), and 2) there are two versions of that piece, in the first version the Shark used was preserved poorly, leading it to gradually deteriorate, which lead to two attempts to fix it, the first involved removing the shark's skin and putting it over a mold, and then later in 2006 they replaced the Shark with a new one

Which also explains Wide Wale's comment of having "Bad Shark" in himself

It's also a rip on Hirst for being a loving hack.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Robot Hobo posted:

Wouldn't that be helpful though? Monarch's biggest weakness as both a villain and a husband, the only two components of his entire life, is his constant compulsion to ruin Rusty Venture for... reasons still unknown. Possibly even unknown to Monarch himself at this point. If he wants to save his marriage and his career (and possibly his life), the only real answer is to eliminate that compulsion.

There's basically two ways to end the compulsion. Deal with it in some healthy way, or just kill Rusty Venture so that there can be no more target for the compulsion. One of those solutions is really difficult and may never really work, while the other is completely straightforward.

I don't think the Monarch would simply fall back to a mentally healthy place if Rusty died.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wanting to arch Rusty isn't the Monarch's weakness; it's his passion. It's the only thing he really enjoys. If he wasn't arching Rusty, he probably wouldn't want to be a villain at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean he wanted to build an empire to house the machine to kick his rear end. We have seen what happens when Monarch attempt to arch someone who isn’t Rusty. (Granted JJ was more so he could arch Rusty again)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 15, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also worth noting that his never-ending supply of hatred is also what made his wife fall in love with him. He has the well of infinite malice that gives them the passion to work as a duo, and she has, uh, everything else except that. Without him, she's super competent but doesn't have the drive to succeed as a solo villain.

I don't think their relationship could survive without Rusty.

(And really, Sheila probably should have seen this coming, because "when not arching Rusty the Monarch immediately moves obsessively in the direction of arching Rusty and refuses to give his attention to anything else" is pretty much how he works and she knows that, although she didn't think he had it in him to off other villains.)

EDIT: Actually, the Monarch seems to be unique among villains, now that I think about it.

You have

1) guys like Phantom Limb, for whom villainy is the path to power and influence (world dominators)
2) guys like Wide Wale and Monstroso, who are basically just regular criminals who engage in a few tropes to get access to the privileges of costumed villainy
3) guys like Red Death or the Moppets, who are just antisocial maniacs for whom villainy serves as an outlet and regulator.
4) guys like Sergeant Hatred, for whom it's just the job they happen to be good at

The Monarch is in his own category because he's really only in the business to mess with one guy, and would probably have no interest in continuing as an official bad guy if that one guy were permanently gone.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 15, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though I bet Hank and Dean would probably go from considering the Monarch an annoying acquaintance to a lifelong grudge if he actually killed their dad.

Hell, I bet it'd be their catalyst. Hank is definitely just waiting for the right motivation, and Dean hates the boy adventurer life but gets really loving mad given provocation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

The Monarch is in his own category because he's really only in the business to mess with one guy, and would probably have no interest in continuing as an official bad guy if that one guy were permanently gone.

St. Cloud is like this as well

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Monarch laughing at Hank calling Doc a honky is one of the better moments in the show. But really I think killing Rusty would be the thing that finally broke Gary’s loyalty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

The Monarch laughing at Hank calling Doc a honky is one of the better moments in the show. But really I think killing Rusty would be the thing that finally broke Gary’s loyalty.

Also, Brock would go all sickhouse on their asses.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That’s the thing I really like about Brock. We saw how far he would go to protect them. He went on a naked rampage to show how serious he was.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've got a gut-feeling that episode three this week is finally going to reveal the Monarch's motivation to arch Doc. That weird little dream he had in episode 2 seems like foreshadowing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bobulus posted:

I've got a gut-feeling that episode three this week is finally going to reveal the Monarch's motivation to arch Doc. That weird little dream he had in episode 2 seems like foreshadowing.

I've got a gut feeling that the incredibly telegraphed "Vendata is the Monarch's dad and Rusty caused or is thought to have caused the plane crash that killed his parents [plastic cowboy in the wiring?]" theory will pan out but a bunch of people will complain about how ambiguous it is because nobody just comes out and says those words in that order.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
While that would be hilarious as hell watch it be because Rusty was a goddamn Jerk to him and forgot about it. I mean he forgot about Hector and thought he was a hobo trying to rob him.

As for the airplane crash could have been a malfunction. Not everything Rusty touches crashes. Almost. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bobulus posted:

What was the dream he had?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

What was the dream he had?

Drowning in the orange color palette world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Drowning in the orange color palette world.

Also yells at Doc, "You were never there for me"