Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Korranus posted:

Same here, I've still got a handful of XP machines on the factory floor for legacy software running legacy equipment that the business refuses to replace since the company as a whole has lost money for years. I do at least have them on their own VLAN that's blocked from the internet via firewall. When it's working the business doesn't let IT so much as look at it, but when that poor ATA drive from 1994 finally gives up the ghost IT naturally gets thrown under the bus for not having had a replacement production line years ago. Such is IT.

This is why you repeatedly e-mail upper management and document how much of a risk the old dinosaur Windows 95 PC is to the company. I went down to Mexico a couple years ago and freaked out when I found out there was a bunch of RF welders running Windows 95 that accounted for about a million dollars of production every month. There's literally no way to replace machines like that, but the excuse was "oh well, Germany provided this hardware, it's their problem".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Vargatron posted:

This is why you repeatedly e-mail upper management and document how much of a risk the old dinosaur Windows 95 PC is to the company. I went down to Mexico a couple years ago and freaked out when I found out there was a bunch of RF welders running Windows 95 that accounted for about a million dollars of production every month. There's literally no way to replace machines like that, but the excuse was "oh well, Germany provided this hardware, it's their problem".

I do indeed document the hell out of such nonsense and risk acceptance and I've got a good IT director above me who's willing to march up to management and clobber them with said documentation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody have any recommendations for password management software? I have a user who is wanting to move away from having to track 5 different accounts and passwords for his various applications. Another concern he had was how to recover if somehow his password vault was breached, which I'm assuming can be moderated by some kind of 2FA setup.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for password management software? I have a user who is wanting to move away from having to track 5 different accounts and passwords for his various applications. Another concern he had was how to recover if somehow his password vault was breached, which I'm assuming can be moderated by some kind of 2FA setup.

You talking enterprise level? Something like Quest TPAM or Cyberark?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

You talking enterprise level? Something like Quest TPAM or Cyberark?

This is individual licensing level. I checked and we don't have an enterprise solution available, so I'm looking for consumer grade software that can fill this individual request.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

1password if he's on Mac or Lastpass if PC

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1Password works on everything, Keepass is an option if the cost is an issue. Lastpass was the one with a billion security fuckups I think.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Passwordstate has a ton of great features and is like $65/user/year.

If there was a hosted version I would probably stay with it forever.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

1Password works on everything, Keepass is an option if the cost is an issue

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

1Password works on everything, Keepass is an option if the cost is an issue. Lastpass was the one with a billion security fuckups I think.

Everything in this post is true.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
A smug middle manager just lost both his lead devs in a two week span. The second one didn't even give notice and resigned on the spot. Both cited him for being so incredibly smug and toxic that they would prefer to work anywhere else.

The dude obviously sucks and leadership brings out the worst in him. He is the type you can't give any real power to because he cant help himself.

I am in an emergency leadership meeting right now to discuss what in the hell is going on. He is claiming total innocence and that these employees were bad apples. Our CIO told us in his frustration that the HR director and the CEO scheduled a meeting later today for this.

This was one of those instances where the manager made significantly less than most people he is managing. This isn't inherently bad. It is a failing though when these high paid people are important to the well being of the company and someone not important is making their work life hell. It seems people just didn't know how bad it was.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they shitcan the manager then is there a chance they’ll get their devs back?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thanks Ants posted:

For the devs sake, let us hope not

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If we were giving advice to the devs in question, we would have told them to never look back and never trust management at that company again.

This includes you Sickening

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LionYeti posted:

1password if he's on Mac or Lastpass if PC

I use 1Password on iOS, MacOS, and Windows regularly, and I think it's the bee's knees on all three.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

No and they shouldn’t. I have had people in the last 30 minutes reach out to me to see what can be done. Jokes about moving to my team have been the common theme.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your company the one where they wanted no fat people, and had that weird modelling session in the office?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Is your company the one where they wanted no fat people, and had that weird modelling session in the office?

Yep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Uhhhhhhhh

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Those devs weren't a good culture fit anyways

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fat person spotted.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I haven't worked a day in over 3 months. I have forgotten everything I know and don't really feel like going back to IT. Next Monday's going to be "fun".

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

I use 1Password on iOS, MacOS, and Windows regularly, and I think it's the bee's knees on all three.

Huh last time I checked the 1password windows client was hot garbage, I'll probably move over here soon.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I haven't worked a day in over 3 months. I have forgotten everything I know and don't really feel like going back to IT. Next Monday's going to be "fun".

Same but tomorrow and it's a msp. Rip me.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

LionYeti posted:

Huh last time I checked the 1password windows client was hot garbage, I'll probably move over here soon.

Autotyping into RDP sessions is still a little wonky, but beyond that, 1p is seriously the best now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, either 1Password or Keepass are solid options. I prefer 1Password personally.

The dumpster fire that is LastPass should be avoided at all costs.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Vargatron posted:

We have this dilemma - we are a small division of a massive company and we have our own domain for contractual/security reasons - so even though our company has a massive global network, we don't connect or touch it 99% of the time.

typically most answers to "we want to do X what software should we use" is - see what the preferred software that the corporate dudes suggest.

I asked my boss what do corporate do for p/w management and he said they refuse to tell him - it's now known as fight club.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We use three solutions where I am - LDAP against AD for things that support it, Keepass for everything else. The Windows guys also use Secret Server for reasons that are unclear to me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Set my OOO in Exchange and on Google, set my status on Slack to vacation mode with the dates, and still got no less than 15 messages and at least half a dozen emails that should have been tickets on Monday.

I'm currently sitting at a rooftop bar in Florence and I've responded to 0.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Roaming profile chat - They were here when I started and i've gone the path of least resistance and kept them in so I can learn what common issues are.

It's fairly pain free but I still don't really see the point. Barely anyone moves desks, anyone who does needs access to what, 20gb of data at most (for the people taking pictures).

Can just throw that on a share. The Quota thing tripped me up a little but ehhh

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

Set my OOO in Exchange and on Google, set my status on Slack to vacation mode with the dates, and still got no less than 15 messages and at least half a dozen emails that should have been tickets on Monday.

Oh wow, which bar? Florence is an amazing place to surf the web from.

Along with the usual sites, make sure to check out the Mercato Centrale, if you're not already there.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Good continue to do so

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I love hearing upper management types complain "Oh I've been responding to e-mails since 10:00PM last night I'm so overloaded!!!" and then take 2 hour lunches. Shouldn't have taken the job if you didn't want the responsibility! (Alternately, fix your processes so that you don't have to work 80 hours a week).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot of the hours that management complain about having to work is because they don't let the people under them make decisions for themselves

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

A lot of the hours that management complain about having to work is because they don't let the people under them make decisions for themselves

Yeah this is pretty much it. Our CFO and CEO work pretty regular hours and trust their staff to make choices and decisions.

Our COO is a huge micromanager, and doesn't know enough about the individual pieces they are micromanaging leading to them working long hours every day and consequentially all of their direct reports *also* working long hours to cover the mess.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Roaming profile chat - They were here when I started and i've gone the path of least resistance and kept them in so I can learn what common issues are.

It's fairly pain free but I still don't really see the point. Barely anyone moves desks, anyone who does needs access to what, 20gb of data at most (for the people taking pictures).

Can just throw that on a share. The Quota thing tripped me up a little but ehhh
Yeah, you're not running into issues because nobody is really using them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It also sounds like you might be storing actual user data in the roaming profile, which you want to avoid doing because it will cause the profile to grow way too large and you will run into problems. If you use roaming profiles you pretty much need to use folder redirection.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The DNS haiku has reared it’s ugly head twice now in the last couple days.

Of course it was a static entry on the server pointing to a demoted DC. I hate hate hate static entries so much

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Seriously. Any time a task starts to annoy you or take up more time than it should, you've really got to ask the question, "Am I the lowest-level person in the organization capable of doing this task or making this decision?" If the answer is no, and you know one of your people can take/handle it, get your delegate on. You get freed up to do the things you need to do that only you can do, and your team gets to grow their responsibility and skillset.

Give it away, give it away, give it away, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Can someone explain me why don't network switches usually have a power on/off button?