Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don’t know, I think 4 million might be too low. Isn’t one of the unemphasized parts of Shadowrun that the urban sprawl has gotten really bad because formerly rural land is often crawling with potentially hostile spirits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

VanSandman posted:

I don’t know, I think 4 million might be too low. Isn’t one of the unemphasized parts of Shadowrun that the urban sprawl has gotten really bad because formerly rural land is often crawling with potentially hostile spirits?

I never knew that (Only played the recent shadowrun PC games.) All rural areas are full of jRPG random encounters?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Butt Discussin posted:

I never knew that (Only played the recent shadowrun PC games.) All rural areas are full of jRPG random encounters?

Kind of, I mean there are a lot of awakened animals like Fluffy, imagine encountering a feral Fluffy.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Between massive pollution, Mana Storms, and the roaming of things like Free Spirits, paracritters (magical wildlife), and ghouls, most of the rural areas of North America are functionally post-apocalyptic. Compounded by the fact that significant parts of it have been essentially abandoned by any kind of active governance, and you've got a lot of 20th century ruins choked with neo-primative tribes, emcampments of Mad Max-style bands, and monsters, with most of the population having moved in to the Sprawls.

With all of these massive ecological changes, a few serious wars, and a horrible plague called VITAS, the global population is down to only 4 billion people, most of them concentrated in urban Sprawls.

Even within these mega-cities, though, you can still see the ways in which it's a post-apocalyptic setting that's simply kept moving forward instead of wallowing in that past. Look at Seattle. Puyallup it's every bit the blighted wasteland as the areas out beyond, it just happens to have the Seattle border drawn around it; it gets even fuckier the further you get. Redmond is an irritated hellhole with people squatting in the less-than-ruined buildings with while streets reinforced into walked shanty blocks with armed guards to shoot any of the ghouls that might try to crawl up out of the sewers. Every major city in Shadowrun has zones like those, where the apocalypse arrived and the local government just redoubled their focus on downtown to try to ignore the decay.

If you go out into the Great Planes, the Mojave, or most of the Rocky Mountains, you'll find villages of orks with crossbows, former military bunkers turned into monster-filled lootable dungeons, road warriors whose leather jackets and trucks both have spikes welded all over them, stampedes of free spirits running ahead of Mana Dust Storms, vampires carving out little fiefdoms where they import humans like cattle, and other crazy nonsense you'd expect of somewhere hit by a wombo combo of magical and technological apocalypses.

And that's not even getting into the fact that most of the internet and digital devices got obliterated during the first great Crash, nor that most of the offline backups are rotting in ruins abandoned during the various forced migrations of the first half of the 21st century. There's even a Shadowrunner specialty for people who delve these abandoned ruins in search of 'Lostech,' or technology and/or media that got forgotten during all of these events. Technically, that's Kenji's speciality.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

jagadaishio posted:

Between massive pollution, Mana Storms, and the roaming of things like Free Spirits, paracritters (magical wildlife), and ghouls, most of the rural areas of North America are functionally post-apocalyptic. Compounded by the fact that significant parts of it have been essentially abandoned by any kind of active governance, and you've got a lot of 20th century ruins choked with neo-primative tribes, emcampments of Mad Max-style bands, and monsters, with most of the population having moved in to the Sprawls.

With all of these massive ecological changes, a few serious wars, and a horrible plague called VITAS, the global population is down to only 4 billion people, most of them concentrated in urban Sprawls.

Even within these mega-cities, though, you can still see the ways in which it's a post-apocalyptic setting that's simply kept moving forward instead of wallowing in that past. Look at Seattle. Puyallup it's every bit the blighted wasteland as the areas out beyond, it just happens to have the Seattle border drawn around it; it gets even fuckier the further you get. Redmond is an irritated hellhole with people squatting in the less-than-ruined buildings with while streets reinforced into walked shanty blocks with armed guards to shoot any of the ghouls that might try to crawl up out of the sewers. Every major city in Shadowrun has zones like those, where the apocalypse arrived and the local government just redoubled their focus on downtown to try to ignore the decay.

If you go out into the Great Planes, the Mojave, or most of the Rocky Mountains, you'll find villages of orks with crossbows, former military bunkers turned into monster-filled lootable dungeons, road warriors whose leather jackets and trucks both have spikes welded all over them, stampedes of free spirits running ahead of Mana Dust Storms, vampires carving out little fiefdoms where they import humans like cattle, and other crazy nonsense you'd expect of somewhere hit by a wombo combo of magical and technological apocalypses.

And that's not even getting into the fact that most of the internet and digital devices got obliterated during the first great Crash, nor that most of the offline backups are rotting in ruins abandoned during the various forced migrations of the first half of the 21st century. There's even a Shadowrunner specialty for people who delve these abandoned ruins in search of 'Lostech,' or technology and/or media that got forgotten during all of these events. Technically, that's Kenji's speciality.

:jackbud:
Keep going, I'm almost there. It's like Rated-R Fallout.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If anybody is wondering just how Seattle in Shadowrun looks like, or close to it, Ive gathered a lot of artwork over the years.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

jagadaishio posted:

There's even a Shadowrunner specialty for people who delve these abandoned ruins in search of 'Lostech,' or technology and/or media that got forgotten during all of these events.
Doesn't matter if you're Battletech, 40k, or Shadowrun. If you're a sci-fi franchise form the 80s, you have to have lostech.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I don't post much, but keep up the good work Ice.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If anybody is wondering just how Seattle in Shadowrun looks like, or close to it, Ive gathered a lot of artwork over the years.

Let's get some visuals, bud!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Here's one I found a while ago. I don't think it's actually Seattle but it's a good representation of the skyline.

The streets downtown

Actual art of Seattle, including the Renraku Arcology, what is now the ACHE

Berlin slums

The Barrens

I do everything on my phone so I'm not actually sure how these images will turn out.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Here's one I found a while ago.

Thanks for posting.

Looking at this art makes me truly appreciate the thought and effort CDPR put into the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.

Man I need my Cyberpunk Fix, and while I'm the subject, Bladerunner 2047 was a good movie.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not that the urban centers have had it any easier; Chicago, the 2nd largest city in the UCAS, had the Sears tower collapsed by anti-Meta terrorists causing an immediate 25 thousand casualties and many more after the assorted ghosts, ghouls and awakened critters swarming the area. Then a massive insect spirit invasion was so poorly handled by Ares that the govt was forced to establish a quarantine between Des Moine River and Lake Michigan, causing another 100K or so in casualties in immediate as the government simply leveled a massive ring of buildings to build barricades, had a nuclear power plant intentionally exploded in an attempt to kill the spirits (this just put them in torpor), then eventually cleansed with a nasty strain of biochemicals.

It's free of bugs, but it's basically an Escape from New York style urban hellscape with no law outside what the largest gangs can provide. The only government or corp control of the place is probably O'Hare airport under heavy Megacorp security guard.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
And a few more because I like them

Wonder what Knight Errant uniforms look like?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

killer_robot posted:

Not that the urban centers have had it any easier; Chicago, the 2nd largest city in the UCAS, had the Sears tower collapsed by anti-Meta terrorists causing an immediate 25 thousand casualties and many more after the assorted ghosts, ghouls and awakened critters swarming the area. Then a massive insect spirit invasion was so poorly handled by Ares that the govt was forced to establish a quarantine between Des Moine River and Lake Michigan, causing another 100K or so in casualties in immediate as the government simply leveled a massive ring of buildings to build barricades, had a nuclear power plant intentionally exploded in an attempt to kill the spirits (this just put them in torpor), then eventually cleansed with a nasty strain of biochemicals.

It's free of bugs, but it's basically an Escape from New York style urban hellscape with no law outside what the largest gangs can provide. The only government or corp control of the place is probably O'Hare airport under heavy Megacorp security guard.

Chicago is terrifying. Even after the Bug eradication. There's an entire new ecosystem in the sewers.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Shadowrun is a post-apocalyptic setting with cyberpunk cities, at the end of the day.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

All right, sorry for the delay. Book one is completely edited. It has went GONE from 69,583 words to 84,987 words. So I added just above 15k words while fixing the grammar. That's a 22% increase in length from the rough draft. It's weird to go back and see what I wrote as the writing style is very different to what I'm putting out now. I made some minor changes, but mostly I fixed my atrocious grammar and fixed some mistakes in continuity. I also tried to make it a smoother read while preserving the original style of the prose. Since I told it largely from Fuzzy's POV, it's a pretty simple story.

All told this took me more than sixty hours. I can write 1000 words in about an hour, but editing takes about half an hour for 1500 words for me if I can move things along smoothly. So I'm going to take a break from editing for a while. I bet that the story could do with a final pass, but I'm not the person to do that. A professional editor would undoubtedly be able to make my work better, but I'm not going to stretch myself at a job that I don't particularly like. Reading my work again was a treat though.

The full and edited work for book one is posted in the thread in case anyone wants to do that. The rough draft is saved in several places, and if anyone really wants it please let me know.

Anyway, I'll see about posting a few updates for the main story in the next few days. Apologies for the wait.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 16, 2018

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Great job!! No apologies necessary!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The post-apocalyptic wasteland outside the cities explains why real food is so expensive. The modern soy farms of Shadowrun are using a high-yield, fast growing variety developed by Aztechnology, and is grown within cities. Meat? Grain? Real fruit? Luxuries, not because of increased demand from a massive population, but because of a massive drop in supply.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

VanSandman posted:

The post-apocalyptic wasteland outside the cities explains why real food is so expensive. The modern soy farms of Shadowrun are using a high-yield, fast growing variety developed by Aztechnology, and is grown within cities. Meat? Grain? Real fruit? Luxuries, not because of increased demand from a massive population, but because of a massive drop in supply.

And even then, it's not that much more expensive. A soy burger is 1 nuyen; one made of real beef is 5 nuyen. It still follows more or less real life price points, with heavily processed foods being the bottom-tier budget stuff and foods made with proper ingredients being one step up from that. It doesn't require 100 nuyen to enjoy a steak, but it's still probably not a luxury that your average wageslave is going to budget into their monthly food.

But yeah, the supply is very limited; 'real' food would get very expensive very quickly if demand ticked up, because the ability to scale up supply on items that can't be grown in an urban hydroponic tower is essentially nonexistent.

And, critically, not all of the post-apocalyptic wasteland is outside of the cities. Look at Puyallup and Redmond. When the wind blows in from the East it carries storms of volcanic ash into Puyallup and radioactive fallout into Redmond. This is a setting where even Downtown there are times when it becomes important to carry a Geiger counter or avoid a city block because there's a bunch of people dressed in Halloween costumes and sports equipment menacing people with flaming weapons made out of trash. A setting whose most popular sport uses live ammunition and which required on official ruling on whether a corpse falling into a goal while holding a ball counts as scoring.

That kind of casual brutality permeates the setting. It's why most shadowrunners don't bat an eye at killing their way through a whole floor of security guards; those guards are armed with SMGs and have a 'kill first, ask questions never' attitude anyway. It's also why a corp isn't going to bother chasing those runners down; it's not likely they're going to get back whatever was stolen, and lives are cheap so they don't give even half a gently caress about avenging their people. A successful run against a company is practically an audition for clients within that company to come seek you out for their own dirty work.

That was a tangent. Sorry. Yeah, the world's ecology is hosed. Half of it is blighted with 80s cartoon-style uber-pollution, and everything else is overgrown with out-of-control magical forests, spirits, monsters, and other crazy 'literally a swords & sorcery setting now' stuff.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Is a 22% add from the rough draft roughly normal for that sort of first pass? Seems like a huge add, but I guess touching up sentences and adding some clarification across a big story adds up.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Reminds me of Neo Scavenger.

I'll re-read the first book, must be a lot of content added if it increased in size that much. I thought sizes usually decreased from editing!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Anyway, I'll see about posting a few updates for the main story in the next few days. Apologies for the wait.

You keep apologizing and we keep telling you that you don't have to! :)

Looking forward to the updates.

e: So where is the edited first book? Is there a link somewhere, or, do I just reread the original posts?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ice Phisherman posted:

All right, sorry for the delay. Book one is completely edited. It has went from 69,583 words to 84,987 words.

:3:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I regret nothing!

CourValant posted:

You keep apologizing and we keep telling you that you don't have to! :)

Looking forward to the updates.

e: So where is the edited first book? Is there a link somewhere, or, do I just reread the original posts?

edit:

I updated the thread. If people want the old rough draft, let me know.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 16, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I too can find no link

Edit: oh wait, you mean you updated the thread posts

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 16, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I too can find no link

Edit: oh wait, you mean you updated the thread posts

Wait what

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The posts ITT for book one have been edited to reflect Ice's edit of book one.

E: I can't tell if you are actually confused or just incredulously complimenting Ice, but there it is anyway.

E2: And Ice, I didn't say it at the time, but don't think I didn't appreciate that corporate brat figuring out already that Gatsby was new money and dismissing him for it. :allears:

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 16, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im just dumb

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think I have to reread the thread now

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So Im rereading and I realized something, early on Sasha mentions a brother that, as far as I can tell, is never brought up again. Did he get cut or is he a family pariah? Went off and joined the Halloweeners as a Final gently caress You or something.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Time for more rants while I meander towards the new update. I find myself thinking about my old genre of...Well...Not choice exactly, but what coughed up money. So today I'm going to do a quick spiel about romance, talk about how to write characters and finish up with some philosophy.

Here's a neato youtube link that's short, sweet and about the history of romance. It's not necessary to understand my rant, but it is pretty cool. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0l5yEY_IlY

In the video I come across a few topics. First is the idea of alpha and beta (usually male) romantic interests. Keep in mind that I don't really like the idea of alpha and beta characters and actively steer clear of these tropes. However, they're popular character archetypes in romance.

A beta hero is someone who is kind and gentle and sweet. A popular name for that sort of character today is the cinnamon roll. I had to take a hard look at my work to find someone who might be a beta/cinnamon roll. And I think the closest character would be Krupa. She is a genuinely good person who wants to be worthy of someone else, namely Joyce. These sorts of characters are often, but not always passive and they tend to lack agency, meaning the unwillingness to act without being acted upon. In a way this is truthful, because when Joyce is speaking and also helping people, she is silent and lets him do his thing. I put the lie to this by having her rush into a still burning building as people died all around her. So in a way, she's a cinnamon roll that's piping hot. :v: She's kind, sweet, naive and lives her convictions so passionately that I imagine she would be emotionally exhausting to be friends with or date as she fluctuates between super low and super high maintenance.

An alpha hero is someone who is impenetrable and cold, or at least at first. And if it were not for some (often heroine) character, the alpha hero would remain impenetrable and cold. Kenji fits this bill. Not from his outwards actions. He plays the part of a charming, easy going guy. However, why he does these things are often for calculating reasons. In romance, it would have been love that caused a change in Kenji. It actually was love that changed him in fact, but not romantic love. I remember talking about the different kinds of love before. Kenji changed for reasons of storge, or family love (his friends) and agape, or selfless love, because his love of friends was more important than his existence. Perhaps an argument could be made that his reasons were selfish because of how the love of friendship influence the way he feels about himself, but I calls it like I sees it. Love changed Kenji, but it had nothing to do with romantic feelings. Love saved him, but it was not some Disney romantic love.

So why do I mention romance? Well, reasons we'll see with the next update. It'll be up to the thread what happens. But it's going to amuse me.

So I've been thinking about characters, and like people, I think about how people are built up. I use the similes that people are like houses and the world is like a sledgehammer. It's a big part of how I not only view people, but also speak to them.

So a house is made up of stuff. In this case I'll keep it simple. It has walls and a roof. These walls are made up of bricks. For sake of simplicity, imagine that each wall has this brick at the bottom that if smacked with a sledgehammer hard enough by life, that entire section of the wall would either be damaged or potentially completely fall apart.

Let's take Sasha for example. In year one I'd say that the brick that she built much of her identity on was justice. It still is in fact. You could find other bricks in other walls, but justice is the stone upon which this particular wall resides. On top of that brick are other less critical bricks. These would be a love of order, respect for the police, love for her corporation, love for her family, all that stuff. And there may be duplicate bricks elsewhere in other walls. But the point is, if these bricks above that key brick are attacked, they're easier to damage, and that core brick might be shifted about and get stressed, but it's still there. So Sasha literally throws away the brick that Ares was founded on and symbolically abandons her corporation. Her love of justice doesn't go away. And despite looking at her family at their worst and losing faith in them, that brick remains, though it got beaten up. She's got several other bricks pinning down that justice brick. It's not going anywhere.

Now imagine going for broke. Life takes that sledgehammer and whacks the hell out of justice. If it's traumatic enough to that brick, it may break. If it breaks then everything that is founded upon it will falter and fall. Maybe Sasha lucks out and one of those other bricks, say her respect for the police gets used as a stopgap, but no, that got busted up when both Knight-Errant and Lone Star decided to abuse the people they served. Respect for people on the ground might have been a stopgap for that, but she already didn't like Lone Star and Knight-Errant has the supposedly "good cops" abandoning it. I feel that to attack someone at their core values is to undermine everything they are, and if someone's convocations are strong, they will fight hard to protect this part of them, because that is their identity. The pain of losing identity is real. If people lose to many core parts of themselves, the house crumbles completely and so can the person. And so LeBlanc's attack of undermining everything she believed in by using what she believed in (I'm a good cop trying to do right) is very powerful. It pulls all of those bricks off the key brick and leaves it exposed. At this point, Sasha's love of justice could have been damaged or even utterly destroyed. And again, people will fight hard to preserve these bedrock parts of their personality. LeBlanc offers a way out. Be a cop without borders. Bring justice to the world. It's an escape. So what does Sasha do?

Not all of those bricks have been pulled off. As it turns out, Fuzzy has a strong sense of justice. Not in the big sense, like challenging an unjust law, because she's still young and a developing character, but if she sees something wrong, she steps in to solve it. Less lobbying congress and influencing laws. More skinning her knuckles on nazi teeth, but not going full vigilante either. See something bad, challenge it. It's a very simple concept of justice, but it works. Sasha sticks it out rather than run away. When her corporation, her respect for the police and her family failed her, Fuzzy did not. LeBlanc succeeded in getting what she wanted from Sasha, but she did not succeed in recruiting Sasha, which was a strong secondary goal. Sasha believed in Fuzzy's purer but simpler version of justice rather than LeBlanc's more complicated, but flawed sense of justice.

I look at Krupa. And I see one of her cornerstone bricks as malformed. She has a sense of justice too, and it's strong, but I'd say that her faith in people is what is strongest in her. Her brick is malformed and that causes all of the bricks above it to be wobbly. So go the smaller, less important bricks on top of that. So goes the house. Her house, her identity that is, is flawed. Her faith in people is made unsound by her naivete. She believes in people too hard despite evidence to the contrary. She believes in people so hard that she even comes off as sanctimonious. Hence the good things in a bad way conversation. It sounded like a lecture. Not a stern one, but more wheedling. "Why do good things in a bad way when you can do good things in a good way?" And she fails to realize that someone like Kenji might not be doing his absolute best, but he's doing pretty awesome considering where he came from. Then the terrorist attack hits and she leaps into action. I didn't plan for her to do that, but dice rolls happened, and dice continue to make the story interesting for me.

Krupa violates the rules of the island and puts herself in danger. She is definitely doing good things, but she is doing them in a bad way. She lectured Kenji and was soon after made a hypocrite. Yes, she did good, but she endangered herself and potentially other people too by not letting the (overtaxed) first responders do their jobs. Yes, things worked out, but that is painting a bulleye around the arrow after it's already landed. She could have made things worse. And though I had no plans to kill her, in the narrative, there is the rational assumption that she could have died. I imagine there was little actual thought about what she was doing and that she was acting, not thinking.

Kenji on the other hand remains both the "alpha hero" and though I haven't said it in a while, the most fragile main character. He's still operating on Edward's rules. Sure he can lie, but it's scary and it's a big part of why he sucks so bad at it. He's not like Fuzzy who literally sucks at lying. He's terrified of saying 1+1=3. He hasn't had to ignore or harm moms or who she cares about. He can talk about the brick (the physical one), but he doesn't need to. He's still interested in making money and hasn't deviated from that. He's still getting favors even though he no longer has to. He's still following all of Edward's rules. Those rules were artificial and so almost everything his personality is based on at its core have been imposed from the outside. He doesn't believe in it. He's going through the motions because that's what makes sense to him. His identity lies on top of those bricks, and his "house" is incredibly warped because his identity is built almost entirely on his life as a slave. Yet despite being free, he still goes through the motions.

The only brick in his identity that truly belongs to him is his love of his friends. That's it. That's the only facet of his personality that is solid and truly his. Everything else is built on something he no longer needs or believes in. Not because he'll automatically reject everything, but because he hasn't tested anything. He is what one could suppose an "alpha" hero would be, but that's pretty weak tea to me. What I challenged myself to do was to write an existentialist hero, with the flavor of that being an absurd hero which is close to, but not quite an anti-hero.

Here's what existentialism is: "A philosophical theory or approach that emphasizes the existence of the individual person as a free and responsible agent determining their own development through acts of the will."

Kenji is a subversion of this philosophy. He's not only unused to being a responsible agent, he's not used to developing through acts of his own will (as a former slave), but he isn't even sure about his own existence. He is well aware that Edward made him up and that he and Edward exist in the same brain. There's no magic or technology to account for Kenji's being. It's just their brain that keeps them separate. That's it. I can't remember if I've stated outright what the method was, so I won't say it just in case. Anyway, no magic, no tech, just a mental method of rules to follow. This is LeBlanc's method.

So I'm a big fan of Albert Camus, especially his work "The Myth of Sisyphus". It posits that "There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide". I'm going to be up front about this and say that this part gets pretty deep and it isn't necessary to understand Kenji's character or the story, only how I write him. Anyway, there are three responses to this problem:

1. Physical suicide.
2. Philosophical suicide.
3. Acceptance.

As someone who was deeply depressed for over a decade, this way of thinking has helped me deal with my problems and I've repeated it before. Kenji's struggle is something I've dealt with before, though the roots are not so brutal. It's something that I deeply understand. According to Camus, methods one and two are failure states. Physical suicide is something that was pondered over and rejected by Edward, and I'm guessing Kenji as well at points due to how lovely his life was.

"Dying voluntarily implies that you have recognized the absence of any profound reason for living, the insane character of that daily agitation and the uselessness of suffering". Camus argues that physical suicide is merely an attempt to escape the absurd. This tries to reconcile man's search for meaning and the universe's cold indifference.

Second, Camus argues that people who take a leap of faith and find meaning in god or transcendence have committed philosophical suicide. Again, according to Camus, it is merely an attempt to escape an absurd existence rather than overcome it.

Kenji is not a religious person, but I'd argue that he is currently in a transitional state between philosophical suicide and acceptance. Edward's rules are the principles that his life is founded on. It is beyond faith, because while he's never met Edward, he is directly aware of his existence. No other deity big or small is going to sell your bullets for food and scribble a cardboard note. He is well aware of his maker in a way that people of faith can't quite be sure of, otherwise faith would not be faith, as no leap of faith would be required. It takes no leap of faith for Kenji to understand that Edward exists and that he created him. Kenji knows this for a fact. This is not a dig at religion by the by, though we will be covering religion in the book. Anyway, Kenji is still going through the motions of Edward's rules despite literally having no reason to do so anymore.

The last response to the absurd is acceptance. According to Camus, it is to embrace the freedom that is thrust upon the absurd hero. In a world that is devoid of absolutes, man creates his own meaning and purpose.

Kenji chose friends. He rejected Edward's rules and that rejection was painful, but it also didn't happen all at once. It was a tiny of rebellion, but an important one. I didn't come from a place of faith. I've never had my bedrock ideals, my key brick challenged and ripped away. In fact, whenever I get close to taking those secondary bricks off, I defend them. I get ill in a physical way if my identity is attacked. I become angry. And though I do change, it takes a long time.

Like Fuzzy in the first book, we are going to define Kenji's character now that he is no longer a slave and that process is going to be disorienting, terrifying and painful. Unlike Fuzzy, who was a blank slate character for the most part, Kenji's slate is messy. He's been developing for several books and this is going to be his third character arc. He's had an arc before the books, he's undergone an arc in year one and he's going to go through yet another arc as he discovers who he actually is now that he's free. He's probably my most complicated character and most of that happens on the back end.

I've said before that this book is going to be about faith and existentialism. My plan is to see what the thread does when Kenji, this fragile, existential, absurd hero, as he has his old ways of thinking challenged as Kenji is no longer forced to act as a slave. In a way, we're going to see what he used to believe either reinforced, changed or discarded. These will be the major decision points in the thread and we're already on the path to doing it and those choices are only going to accelerate. After all, he chose friends, but he also chose other people too. Krupa is not pack. She is intensely naive, the thread wasn't on board with her and I've made no bones about the fact that she's from a fascist ethno-state. The thread decided to help her when they could have rebelled against Coach Bolt and been big drat heroes, do nothing or not only do nothing, but convince her to do nothing too. Instead, the thread decided to have Kenji act within the rules and he helped save lives not for those people he will never see, but for this desperate, crying young woman in front of him as she begged for their lives. She begged for help and he answered because he decided to do something rather than nothing.

At this point, Kenji does not care about the people who died. This makes sense, because he's from the ACHE. If he cared about everyone he would have went insane a long time ago. Abstract people might as well not exist. His ability to care extends only to the people he knows personally. That's it. His heart is hard because that's what he's had to do to survive. In a way, Dog is other side of the coin to Dolphin. Dog cares only about his pack. Dolphin cares deeply about nearly everyone and everything. Kenji and Krupa are going to misunderstand one another. Their houses are crooked, their bricks are warped, they are both flawed and at this point, defined largely by what they care about and how.

And I think that's interesting. We're going to get a very close look at what happens to someone when their identity is challenged at a fundamental level.

If you're interested in a short rundown of an absurdist hero, check out this youtube video. It's only five minutes long and kind of funny. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAb7nwtHvTU

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 16, 2018

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Ice Phisherman posted:

I can't remember if I've stated outright what the method was, so I won't say it just in case. Anyway, no magic, no tech, just a mental method of rules to follow. This is LeBlanc's method.

You did. I'm guessing that this was not a part that you edited?
Speaking of

Ice Phisherman posted:

It has went GONE from 69,583 words to 84,987 words.
So, English aside, what's the changelog? What was added?

quote:

Krupa is not pack. She is intensely naive, the thread wasn't on board with her and I've made no bones about the fact that she's from a fascist ethno-state.
We know her for about five minutes and 42 seconds. If mayflies were dog shamans, even they won't choose someone to be pack that fast.
E:Just saying - is not pack yet. We shall see.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2018

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gun Jam posted:

So, English aside, what's the changelog? What was added?

A few small changes. There was a scene where Fuzzy asks for her weapons on the island and Julian, a teacher, says okay without any reservations. That was glaring oversight on my part and I fixed that so it made more sense. The visit to the art museum also uses art assets which are copyrighted and I don't want to mess around with that for when it goes up on the website. So the art section got a rewrite. They still go, but I describe the art rather than using pictures.

Mostly it was my style of writing. I tried not to change it much, but it was very much me speaking to the reader instead of being a neutral narrator. Being a neutral narrator needed more words. So part of it was style. There were also some parts where it was just dialogue with nothing happening. It felt sort of bland. So I added in some life with movements and stuff happening in the scene. I made some mentions of people who will appear later in the story. Coach Bolt comes to mind. There were also these huge paragraphs that I broke up with a sentence or two so they wouldn't just be these enormous blobs. There were a lot of those so I broke them up.

I added polish to the story while doing my best to keep the spirit of how it was told intact. And there were scenes that I tried not to touch at all save for grammar like when Julian picks Fuzzy up from the police station and breaks her spirit.

Normally when I edit a story, I take far more than I add. This time I felt like more was needed and so I added more words. I'm satisfied with the result, but I kept the original.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

So why do I mention romance? Well, reasons we'll see with the next update. It'll be up to the thread what happens. But it's going to amuse me.

:thunk:

Kenny and Julie, sitting in a tree (the tree being the psych ward cafeteria), A-W-K-W-A-R-D.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I feel like I was right, the brother is such a pariah even Ice wont talk about him. :colbert:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji, Joyce, Gilbrand, Saanvi and Olisha - Saturday, July 27th, 2075 - Morning - Blake Island

Kenji spent time in front of his bathroom mirror an hour before the school boat was scheduled to leave. For an awakened, he didn’t actually practice magic that much in his daily life. His magic was situational and if he were completely honest with himself, he used them mostly to goof off and impress girls. His commanding voice was useful for getting people to do what he wanted or forget four or five minutes but he’d been chewed out last year for using it on one of the office ladies. He didn’t have a choice in the matter as he was still under Edward’s rules, but he’d still gotten in trouble all the same.

Today he used his skillset of magic for impersonation: Facial sculpt, keratin control and melanin control. In short, he could change his facial features, lengthen and change the color of his hair and change his skin color. Today he did just that. Growing new hair had taken all night and he’d buzzed off his straight, chestnut colored hair for something shorter and blond. His stark cheekbones were filled out to hide the fact that he was an elf and his pointed chin became square. Further, the lids around his eyes lost their epicanthic folds and became rounder in response as he temporarily lost his Asian features. He even rounded his ears, though this wasn’t perfect as they still stuck out. Luckily it was raining today so he was able to hide them under a hood of a jacket. Finally, he changed his skin tone from his normal pale to slightly less so.

Today he played the role of a freshman by the name of James, one of the students who’d decided to stay on the island for the weekend. After the terrorist attack and with the increased numbers in protests, there had been a number of students who decided they’d rather stay at school. James was one of them. The charade wouldn’t have to last for long, only twenty minutes. James was shorter than him by a few inches, but Kenji could do little about his height other than hope no one noticed. His eyes were also blue while Kenji’s were brown. While Kenji could do nothing about this in terms of magic, he simply slipped in some smart contacts and shifted their color to James’ light blue.

He didn’t even bother trying to cut his own hair and for what seemed like the millionth time, he considered investing in a machine that gave haircuts. They tended to be expensive though and he wasn’t exactly flush with money. Cutting his own hair was absolutely not an option and he didn’t think for a second that he could emulate the several hundred nuyen haircuts that the corporate students could afford.

He retrieved a new, never worn knockoff designer jeans and jacket from his closet. These would later be sold at a fraction of the price, but Kenji absolutely couldn’t wear his normal clothing for an outing. He’d accepted an invitation from Joyce and knew that Olisha would not appreciate that fact. She’d also most likely be traveling into the city today and didn’t want to be confronted about what he was doing. His plan was simple. Get to the boat, walk into the tiny bathroom and wait there. The return trip would be easy. He could probably count the number of students who’d want to return to school after leaving it on a Saturday night on one hand. To Kenji, this seemed like overkill, but better overkill than an angry Olisha.

Finally, he decided on whether he should use his dwindling reserve of dust or not to conceal the fact that he was using magic. Taken from the brick that he’d found a few years back in the ACHE, he couldn’t exactly get any more. Stored primarily in his face with his facial sculpt power, it was all that kept people from seeing his soul as the wreck that it was. However, it could also conceal magic without using any up. He decided against it though. If he got caught using magic, he’d have some awkward questions to answer. If he got caught and didn’t have a magic aura going, those questions would get far worse than merely awkward. So his used as little magic as possible. The effects of the spell would only last for an hour. Hopefully, anyone peering into the astral wouldn’t notice.

Now satisfied that he looked like his picture of James, he checked his smartwatch commlink and gave himself three minutes or time. He walked out of the back of his cabin, through the woods that connected the sophomore and freshman rows, popped out onto the freshman row and walked briskly towards the docks. Everyone that was going to leave was already on their way. He smiled to himself. This wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty good.

He strode onto the school boat with thirty seconds to spare. The engine was already on and he moved towards the school boat’s tiny bathroom to hide out. He was almost home free. That was when he turned a corner too fast and collided directly with Olisha. Kenji’s blood froze in his veins and he reminded himself to actually let his horror show on his face. After all, he was a freshman and he’d run into an upperclassman.

“Watch where you’re going,” she spat.

Kenji gulped and nodded. His voice wasn’t a perfect copy of James’. The rumble of the old engine helped mask his voice, but they could still hear one another. She glared up at him.

“Sorry,” he said, quickly.

She continued to glare. Her eyes narrowed and she put her hands on her hips. People stared at them.

“Well?” she asked, testily.

“Well what?” asked Kenji, as stupidly as he could manage.

She huffed explosively, snapped her finger and pointed said finger in a different direction.

“Get out of my way,” she said, angrily, “Shoo.”

After some hesitation, Kenji stepped aside. Without a second glance, she stalked away towards the far quieter senior side of the boat. Kenji hoped that this wouldn’t be remembered and went directly into the bathroom. Even through the door and over the sound of the engine and light rain, he could hear laughter. Still, for the moment he was in the clear. As the boat began to move, he sat on top of the toilet seat and waited for his messages to populate to his commlink. He was no longer a full time fixer. Clever was picking up his weekday work once again.

Messages flooded onto two commlinks almost at the same time. Besides the normal spam messages, he registered a full seven messages: His normal shadowrunner contacts all had something to say. Gentoo wanted to return his old data pad that he’d borrowed. This was a covert way of asking Kenji if he wanted to buy or fence some stolen goods, most likely electronics. Octo wanted to know if he was interested in going to Midnight Food, which meant she was interested in work and also in going out to eat. Min Yun asked him if he’d been having any strange dreams about dogs, which piqued his interest, but he didn’t immediately respond. These showed up on his burner commlink.

Among those not involved in crime, he received a message from Olisha. He specifically did not read that one. If he did, it would show up as read and he’d be busted. That would have to wait. There was a message from Fuzzy, asking him to tell Julie sorry for not showing up this week. She must not have known that he was supposed to be on the island for another week. There was a message from Joyce. Again, he didn’t reply. He didn’t want to give proof that he was on the boat by sending a message and he’d see Joyce in a few minutes. These messages put him in something of a bind as he was supposed to be with Joyce all day. In fact, almost all of these messages were problematic. Many required attention and he still had to do something about Human Nation in Tacoma. They were most likely not going to fall apart like Julian thought they would. Not after Alamos 20,000 bombed an elven restaurant. The attack was going to give the human supremacists a shot in the arm in terms of recruitment, or at least keep the Tacoma based portion of their gang from falling apart.

Kenji read what he could but didn’t answer anything. He had problems with time and would soon be under Joyce’s eye. He turned off his burner commlink and kept his normal commlink on. The school boat came to a stop. He waited for sixty seconds after he heard the first footsteps and then slowly made his way out of the bathroom. He even tied his shoes after he looked out at the veritable sea of private security before he left the boat. Even on Vashon Island, this dock was completely locked down. There were hundreds of sleek vehicles, each with at least two bodyguards. There was a holdup, which everyone complained about in the line as the correct guards had to come to the boat and escort the right student away from the boat.

To his relief, he saw that the seniors were all gone. They’d been first off and Olisha was now out of his hair. With security as tight as it was, he needed to drop his disguise. The hair would stay the same as the magic had to do with its accelerated growth, but his face and skin tone would all shift back to normal. He’d just be blond today. He drew the hood of his black coat over his head as he released the magic and his features contorted uncomfortably back to basic.

Five minutes later he stepped away from the line as it finally disintegrated into chaos as students began to chat with one another instead of wait patiently. He stepped past a nervous looking Fuzzy and a surly looking Jayvon, and he patted Fuzzy on the shoulder. He winked at her, she smiled and they both waved. Few left without being approached by their guards and so he sidled up next to Joyce. The shorter, androgynous looking elf with the long, red hair looked up at Kenji and raised an eyebrow.

“Did you get my message?” he asked, flatly.

“I preferred to talk to people in person,” said Kenji.

“There was room on the boat,” said Joyce, his tone disapproving, “You could have sat next to me.”

Kenji hesitated for just the briefest of moments as he thought of what to say. Joyce was a noble and this wasn’t a classroom of four students and one teacher, but despite not being practiced at it, he went with a lie. Not a direct contradiction, which still made him queasy, even though Edward’s rule about lying no longer ruled his life. He went with his old style of playing on peoples’ preconceptions. Not quite lying, but not telling the truth either.

“Could I have?” asked Kenji.

Joyce frowned. Not in further disapproval, but in thought. He did this without taking his eyes off Kenji, which were far cleverer and more discerning than Kenji was comfortable with. His disapproval melted away and he nodded once to Kenji.

“I see,” said Joyce, contemplatively, “I think I understand your meaning. Yes, you may sit with me in the future if you so desire so long as you remain polite. Thank you for not presuming.”

Kenji thanked him politely and felt relief wash over himself now that he was probably in the clear. The juniors were all gone now and it was time for the sophomores to leave. Bodyguards in black suits with minimal differences in their code of dress found their charges, but that was not the sort of person who would escort a noble to Tir. A man and a woman strode up together, both in gleaming, silvery plate mail armor. Together as one they placed their mailed gauntlets over their hearts and bowed low to Joyce. It was quite the display and while some of the students laughed and made disparaging comments, others sounded intrigued. In response, Joyce inclined his head.

“Duke Sartel,” they both said in unison, their voiced muffled by the armor.

“Kenji, this is Lord Gilbrand, my paladin and head of my security,” said Joyce, respectfully, “This is his paladin in training, Demoiselle Patel.”

Kenji sighed inwardly. All of that work and he was now at the center of everyone’s attention. At least his hood was still up. It would be the people in the fancy armor and the noble that they bowed to that gathered most of their attention. So he kept as much attention off himself as he could.

“Good to meet both of you,” said Kenji, quietly.

“At ease, paladins,” said Joyce, with an easy command, “Please introduce yourselves.”

As they moved to do so, Kenji took a better look at the two. Each of them had a side sword near their hip and a shield strapped to their back. Not fooled, Kenji realized that these two probably weren’t toothless throwbacks, especially in the wake of a terrorist attack. All of that plate probably concealed plenty of body armor and most likely compartments for hidden firearms.

The taller of the two tapped his winged helmet and it folded away from his face not with metallic clicks, but rippled like water and became a silvery hood with the consistency of cloth. It was impressive and it tugged at Kenji’s memory for some reason. What the ornate helmet revealed was a brick of an elf. He had a thick neck, fine, loose blond hair, blue eyes, and blunt features, but his ears were delicate and pointed like most of his race. However, unlike most of his race, he was missing a notch from his right ear and he had several dueling scars, some fine, but one that was particularly ugly. It traced from his chin to the corner of his lip and through a sideburn. Kenji realized that if he followed that line upwards, he could see the wound that had inflicted one of those notches.

“I am Lord Paladin Sean Gilbrand. Charmed,” said the paladin.

His voice sounded like honey made by aristocratic bees. He’d win no beauty contests, at least among the elves, but Kenji could see beyond his bearing. He looked past the polite smile that didn’t reach his eyes. He saw in him the same eyes that he’d seen in the alleys of the ACHE and in many shadowrunners. This man was a killer.

The paladin in training tapped her helmet and it retreated in the same fashion. Kenji saw what an older version of Krupa would look like with some minor changes. Where Krupa’s face was round for an elf, her cheekbones were starker than her sister. Her eyes were the same brown and almond shaped. Her long, dark hair was in an intricate braid that circled her head that was high in the front and dropped low in the back, called a halo braid. Her skin was somewhat darker than her sister’s but her mouth was just as wide and her smile was far from merely polite. As her eyes quickly flicked down and then back up again, it turned up at one corner into a lopsided grin.

“Hello Kenji. I am paladin in training Demoiselle Saanvi Patel” she said, “I’ve heard so much about you from Krupa. It’s good to meet you.”

“Saanvi is Krupa’s older sister,” explained Joyce, “She’s training to be Krupa’s paladin under my own. Ah, my apologies, let’s not hold up the line any longer. Walk with me.”

The two paladins nodded in response. Their silvery, cloth-like hoods reformed into winged helmets with another ripple and they stepped apart in unison. With another inward sigh at all of the pomp and circumstance, he walked with Joyce towards a vehicle and they were both ushered inside.

Less than two minutes later, they pulled up to a landing pad next to a VTOL, a vertical takeoff and landing craft which was a small, black plane with two engines that could tilt vertically to move upwards or horizontally to move forwards. Kenji paused before it and Joyce noticed.

“Something the matter?” he asked.

Kenji had never been up in the air before. He checked with himself and shrugged as he entered the aircraft.

“It’s fine. I’ll deal,” said Kenji, who changed the subject, “I’m curious about something. That armor that your guards wear.”

“Paladins,” corrected Joyce, “Guards are different.”

Kenji hesitated before he nodded.

“Paladins,” said Kenji, “Apologies. That armor they wear, the way it moves is familiar. It reminds me of Fuzzy’s weapon. Is that Ares tech?”

Joyce nodded appreciatively and smiled as he took his seat. Kenji followed inside. His paladins and guards took a different compartment.

“Yes,” said Joyce, “Ares is one of the few corporations that is allowed to do business in Tir. Though in light of the recent scandal I hear that there are some restrictions being placed upon them as a safety precaution. We don’t allow them to do any policing in Tir, but they are being put under the microscope one might say. To answer your question, yes. I’ve heard of Fuzzy’s spearknife. It’s made of the same metamaterial. This is the first generation of new armor for Tir paladins. Were you impressed?”

“It looked good,” said Kenji, “I could tell it caught a lot of attention.”

Joyce smiled broadly and nodded. A voice piped in over the intercom.

“Duke Sartel, we’ll be leaving in five minutes,” said paladin Gilbrand, “We’ll arrive at our destination twelve minutes after that.”

“Very good,” said Joyce.

He turned his attention back towards Kenji and he smiled sheepishly, which Kenji noted as strange.

“Speaking of paladins,” said Joyce, uncomfortably, “Saanvi. What did you think of her?”

Kenji paused, taken aback by the change in topic. He decided to be honest since she’d barely spoken.

“Covered in metal,” joked Kenji.

Joyce chuckled once and laced his fingers together.

“Yes, right,” he said, anxiously, “Krupa has…That is…”

Both Joyce and Kenji were uncomfortable now, though the normally composed noble displayed it far more openly.

“Normally in these cases, the heads of the Patel household would contact your parents and have them speak to you,” began Joyce, “However, your parents seem to be unavailable.”

“That’s a way of putting it,” said Kenji, quietly.

“I see, yes,” continued Joyce, “The Patel family is in Tir and it is difficult for them to speak to you here due to the laws about the gentry, that is, non-nobles contacting foreign citizens. So the duty falls to me. Krupa and Saanvi have been spending a great deal of time together while Krupa recovers and it seems that my fiancée has said many good things about you to her older sister. Saanvi has expressed an interest in courting you.”

Kenji wanted to ask about her family not being noble as that went against the grain of what he assumed, but there was a word he didn’t understand.

“Doing what?” asked Kenji.

Joyce brought a fist up to his mouth and noisily cleared his throat. A blush spread across his pale cheeks.

“Courtship,” explained Joyce, “She wishes to express her affections and see if you are a worthy candidate for a relationship.”

Kenji struggled with this new information and it showed on his face, which grew briefly confused.

“She wants a date?” asked Kenji.

“No,” said Joyce, firmly, “The nobility does not date. They engage in courtship.”

“I thought you just said that the Patels aren’t noble,” said Kenji, slowly.

“Ah, yes,” said Joyce, “Saanvi is the first of her family to attain a noble rank.”

“Wait, so Krupa?” began Kenji.

“Not yet,” said Joyce, crisply, “When she comes of age. My apologies, Kenji. I’m used to playing peacemaker, not matchmaker.”

Kenji frowned in thought as the engines of the VTOL hummed to life.

“I didn’t expect this,” remarked Kenji.

“No good deed goes unpunished,” quipped Joyce.

Kenji chuckled, but Joyce’s face fell and placed his head in his hands.

“Please don’t tell Krupa or Saanvi I said that,” he groaned, “I’ll never hear the end of it. She’s great, really.”

CYOA Time

Three questions:

1. What does Kenji want from his favor?
2. Kenji has multiple people that want to see him, but he’s stuck on the island or under supervision by Joyce. Who do we answer? Remember that his shadowrunner contacts are on the burner.
3. Krupa’s older sister, demoiselle paladin in training Saanvi, would like permission to court him. How does he respond to this?
Writer’s note: Saanvi is nineteen and Kenji should be turning seventeen pretty soon. She didn’t do her full two years in the “peace force” which is the Tir military police that absolutely everyone without money has to do. Instead she was transferred out to learn how to become a paladin (in this case a body guard) under a senior paladin in order to be a personal bodyguard for her sister.

Also, Saanvi is the only member of the Patel family (Krupa’s family) that currently has a noble title. Joyce is nobility, and he’s of the second highest class. Tir follows a caste system of common people and nobility.

Gentry (commoners, 95% of people) – Squire (Krupa and her family minus Saanvi are currently here)
Chivalry - Sir or Demoiselle (Lowest form of noble, Saanvi is here)
Noble - Lord or Lady (Gilbrand is here)
Comital - Count or Countess
Ducal - Duke or Duchess (Joyce is here)
Royal - Prince or Princess (The people who run the country have this rank and there are about 500 of them total)
There’s also Irenis – Classless people who reject the caste system, though this caste is not acknowledged. This is a title that people adopt for themselves.

--

Kenji gets on the boat. He has the facial sculpt power and keratin control. Overnight he turns his hair blond and shifts his face to look younger. Since many of the freshman are still getting to know one another he pretends to be one of them, then heads to the bathroom. However, he goes to the bathroom instead of going to the freshman section. I roll his edge and he critically glitches. He physically runs into Olisha. However, he looks different. I rolled his disguise skill and he gets 7 hits (after I edged) versus her 3 to recognize him.

First I roll composure. He gets 5 hits and so he is able to stay in character. She rolls her intimidate versus Kenji’s intimidate. 2 hits v 5. Kenji is fine for the moment. Then she asks him if he’s seen someone named Kenji. He has black hair, Asian kid, pretty, hard to miss. Kenji can’t rely on his street cred to get him through this, but he does have first impression. Time to lie. I’ll add a +2 bonus from the crit and the +2 for first impression for a total of 11 dice versus her 8 to notice his deception.

6 hits v 3. Kenji keeps it simple. He barely speaks. He just shakes his head and retreats into the bathroom.

On the boat he checks his messages. He’s got quite a few. Gentoo wants his help in fencing some goods, though he’s covert about asking. Octo wants to know if he wants to hit up Midnight Food tonight since Saturday night has the best food. Also she’s interested in work. Min Yun asks if he’s been having any strange dreams lately. Joyce wants to know where he is. He also gets a message from Olisha, but he doesn’t open it. If he does it’ll be marked as read and she’ll know he’s out and about and not on the island.

Kenji meets up with Joyce who is with some nearby bodyguards. They seem to be waiting. Kenji approaches Joyce and he wants to know why he didn’t answer Joyce’s message. Kenji is paranoid, and doesn’t want to answer Joyce’s message because that would give him tangible evidence that Kenji was off island. Kenji rolls his con skill versus Joyce’s perception. Kenji gets charisma 8 – defaulting 1 + street cred 4. He gets 3 hits, which isn’t enough. I roll Kenji’s second edge and he goes up to 7 hits which is good. Now that Joyce is more familiar with Kenji, he gets 12 dice on perception and gets 5 hits. Kenji has successfully preyed on Joyce’s preconception. Kenji didn’t message Joyce or sit with him because Kenji prefers to speak to people face to face, and he didn’t know if Joyce would permit him to sit with him in public. Kenji lies his rear end off about being deferential.

On to Joyce’s bodyguards. They’re all elves and in black suits save for two elves in honest to goodness full plate body armor with a side swords, shields strapped to their backs and their armor seems to be made of the same memory metal that Fuzzy’s spearknife is made from, though theirs isn’t magical. This is paladin Sean Gilbrand, who is in charge of Joyce’s security and is his personal paladin. Kenji recognizes him as a killer with no roll needed as Kenji has been dealing with killers for most of his life. Joyce briefly introduces him as house Sartel’s paladin and his personal head of security. Under his tutelage is paladin in training Saanvi Patel, who is Krupa’s older sister.

They take a quick three minute drive up to a landing pad. They are not moving by boat. They’re going to take a VTOL. Flying vehicles are more common in the 2070’s, but they still tend to be expensive. With air traffic as it is, they’ll be there in about seventeen minutes instead of slogging through traffic. This is Kenji’s first time off the ground, so I have him roll composure. 5 hits. He’s good.

I roll an opposed etiquette check. Joyce gets 5 his on 10 dice, but Kenji also gets 5 hits on 16 dice. Ties go to the defender. Joyce ends up flustered as he tries to tell Kenji about Saanvi.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 22, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh

oh no

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Xarbala posted:

Oh

oh no

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

On the other hand I am extremely interested in the potential project of corrupting a Tir paladin into some kind of anarchist crusader who prays to Robespierre every night (lol like we've got the time for that)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Man, who would have thought that the minimal amount that Kenji did would still have consequences like this.

Xarbala posted:

Oh

oh no

On the plus side, Joyce seems to appreciate that this kinda puts Kenji in a tight spot?

Kenji doesn't have time for this, even if he wanted to. Which he doesn't, because gently caress Tir. But also:

Crazycryodude posted:

On the other hand I am extremely interested in the potential project of corrupting a Tir paladin into some kind of anarchist crusader who prays to Robespierre every night (lol like we've got the time for that)

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Can we ask what courting would entail? Our free time is very limited and we don't want to commit to something else overly time consuming.

Also Ice, did you role for Joyce vs Julian to get permission for Kenji to leave, or just hand wave it?