Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Inokiism is hot on twitter so the new podcast deals with Inoki's toughest shooter!

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1028767228978778112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave sighing when realizing Summerslam would be 6 hours after talking about great Tanahashi is and how the G1 was awesome was great. And also thinking the Asuka story could be real was also peak Dave

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1028859921587154945

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave sighing when realizing Summerslam would be 6 hours after talking about great Tanahashi is and how the G1 was awesome was great. And also thinking the Asuka story could be real was also peak Dave
I don't think Dave follows Joshi nearly as much as he did in the 90's but Asuka being mad as poo poo about how she's being booked is very in character for her as a person either way. She's never cared about comedy booking or losses but she's not a big fan of being made to look stupid, which is what WWE's been doing lately.

She's also a business woman, and if she can make better money outside of the WWE for whatever it might be, she'd do that in a heartbeat and with all the big names in Joshi being signed up or retiring she could be making a lot of money over there while being back at home.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is a good show and I am furious PCO didn't get hashbrowns at Waffle House.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Bit of a strange choice having one of the free shows be one where his regular co-host isn't there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man did sam adonis blow his apology attempt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

man did sam adonis blow his apology attempt

Hmm, sounds fine to me. He said his piece and... oh wait he's still talking. Oh dear God he's still talking. STOP TALKING! Oh my loving God what are you saying now? :gonk:

Edit: Ironically, this followed a rant from Bryan about how WWE should let their wrestlers come onto the show and speak their minds.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1029461781129785344

1999 WCW :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How is it all these years later and people still don't get that within the fiction of Nitro, Sid's streak was bogus.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

How is it all these years later and people still don't get that within the fiction of Nitro, Sid's streak was bogus.

People get less willing to give creative the benefit of the doubt on things when everything else is stupid too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LividLiquid posted:

Someone replied in comments that in the following weeks Brain and Tony were selling the streak like it was legit.

I imagine it’s one of those things that should have been an easy storyline about a doofus making up a streak, but they didn’t clue everyone in so you got mixed messages.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

In order to capitalise on an already saturated wrestling podcast market I too have started a podcast.

Midcard Matinee

https://m.soundcloud.com/midcardmatinee

Me and my co-host Billy discuss movies featuring wrestlers.

Our first episode covers 1997's Champions starting Danny Trejo and Ken Shamrock.

Our next episode is Death From Above with Kurt Angle, Sid, Tom Savini and James Storm.

I would appreciate feedback.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LividLiquid posted:

I remember being very stupid about the streak. it took me like 3 weeks to figure out that the streak miiiiight be bogus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

How is it all of these years later and people still don't get what bad booking is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

How is it all of these years later and people still don't get what bad booking is.

Look pal, I WAS THERE!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Russo gets fired in a few months so Raw should start to get unironically great.

But Bryan finding joy in bad wrestling is lots of fun so I dont know how good the pod will be!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The sid stuff was still funny and did its job.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Incessant Excess posted:

Bit of a strange choice having one of the free shows be one where his regular co-host isn't there.
You're familiar with Bryan Alvarez, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

You're familiar with Bryan Alvarez, right?

Yeah he's really entertaining.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This is a good show and I am furious PCO didn't get hashbrowns at Waffle House.
Waffle House hash browns are legit my new favorite thing. I didn't bother going on the first Chattanooga trip, but between the additional travel (Atlanta -> Chattanooga drive) and PCO wanting to avoid a crowded City Cafe while I interviewed him, I ended up there organically. Then I made a point to go there for my last meal before I left and got extra hash browns for later.

While it's not exclusively a southern thing (there are some in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland), I really wish some franchises would spread further north. A 24/7 chain with inexpensive, mostly breakfast-y food with basic ingredients that's great with allergy requests and the like? Yes please.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Waffle House owns if you're on a trip, it's basically the gas station of restaurants.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
There's not really any discernible differences to Raw in the immediate post-Russo era. I'd say the immediate post-Russo stuff is pretty bad, simply because Austin is still the top babyface but his body is hosed up and eventually has to take time off and Triple H still isn't established as a top heel. Rock is clearly insanely over, but he's busy with Rock n Sock stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you want the full breakdown of the Sid Millennium Man gimmick you can listen to my podcast, but here's why the "IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE STUPID, STUPID" defense doesn't work.

Yes Sid is a heel. Yes the streak is a farce...

That's the problem. If you are going to have a guy squash half your roster as a joke, that's stupid.

If your announcers are sometimes treating it as legit, sometimes not, that's stupid.

If you start this whole angle right after losses and pack losses in the middle of it, all to build up to Goldberg, that's stupid too.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I watched it live every week. Nobody cared about anything on WCW at that time. Nobody but very few main eventers had any cred. So whoever he beat didn't matter. I don't care if half the stuff WCW did was stupid funny on purpose or accident as long as it didn't make me want to change the channel like most of the stuff from that Era it's good. His character was "The dumbass" so everything he did fit, mistake or not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RBX posted:

I watched it live every week. Nobody cared about anything on WCW at that time. Nobody but very few main eventers had any cred. So whoever he beat didn't matter. I don't care if half the stuff WCW did was stupid funny on purpose or accident as long as it didn't make me want to change the channel like most of the stuff from that Era it's good. His character was "The dumbass" so everything he did fit, mistake or not.

I watched it live every week then rewatched it all last year. The reason no one had any credibility is because of poo poo like this. If you act like the end was inevitable, sure, yeah do all the dumb poo poo you want. But it wasn't.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't know what you expected? He did all that, then feuded with Goldberg. What more was it supposed to be? The crowd surely didn't take him serious no matter what the commentators said from week to week. So it was always a joke.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

'WCW fans weren't supposed to take WCW itself seriously' is pretty much all that needs to be said about why WCW is dead and buried.

In theory a company should at least try to continue to exist.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Equating one barely functioning "storyline" to WCW as a whole is disingenuous.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Add in the fact that Sid was still very much able to get over with the crowd booked properly and a normally built Goldberg/Sid would have had some heat and you start to see why yes, that angle was dumb as hell

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

RBX posted:

Equating one barely functioning "storyline" to WCW as a whole is disingenuous.

So is pretending that one storyline was the only part of WCW that was barely functioning at that point

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the whole point of the Sid storyline was that he was a crazy dangerous person who believed he could beat Goldberg because he was a crazy dangerous person. And anyone that disputed his streak incurred the wrath of a crazy dangerous person. The problem with the booking was that they already had Scott Steiner as the resident crazy dangerous person and it really wasn't needed since Sid stands out enough on his own.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
People sticking up for WCW in the current day is always weird as hell.

Then again, people stick up for WWE right now, so.

Alvarez's had a pretty good rant on WOL on Monday.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 15, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeytonRoyceWWE/status/1029775450044866566

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yikes

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

VJeff posted:

People sticking up for WCW in the current day is always weird as hell.

Then again, people stick up for WWE right now, so.

Alvarez's had a pretty good rant on WOL on Monday.

There was one guy in the WWE thread who used colonialism to defend WWE's Saudi Propaganda Deal

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The “lot lighter” thing was very clearly Dave trying to avoid directly saying she got implants.

The whole thing was Dave trying to say she doesn’t seem comfortable moving in the ring with the new boobs but he made himself look like an idiot trying to avoid outright saying that.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 15, 2018

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

sportsgenius86 posted:

The “lot lighter” thing was very clearly Dave trying to avoid directly saying she got implants.

The whole thing was Dave trying to say she doesn’t seem comfortable moving in the ring with the new boobs but he made himself look like an idiot trying to avoid outright saying that.
JFC he could have just said "since her surgery" or "since she was called up" without saying what he did if that was his intention.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Peypey and Beth Phoenix trying to make this a weight thing and getting all scandalized over it strikes me as a little bit of a deliberate misinterpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Are there females in Dave's life

Didn't he just emerge fully mulleted from a pile of damp Apter mags in the 80s