Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The cooking sidequest loses all the fun without the story party

Ok that's true, but that's at least half because they made absolutely no attempt to make the classic version remotely interesting, beyond the effects themselves.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/1029721964406038532

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
I thought we'd be waiting until May at the earliest. Boy, am I wrong. Only half a year until we enter the Nexus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat that's a good turnaround, nice job atlus!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yay! That's fast.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Ah, it sure is nice not having persona 5 taking up all the resources anymore.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

as someone who asked when it would be coming out yesterday, I'm taking 100% of the credit for the early release :colbert:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
That boxart rules but eo1/eo2 boxart was still the best

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Whens the Fencer DLC

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

EOU's postgame is kicking my rear end; I've hit the first level cap, but the Blizzard King isn't going down. It is doable on Story Mode, right? I don't want to turn down the difficulty from Expert, AKA Etrian Normal™, but jeez.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Ehhh just turn the difficulty down. It's 'doable' but its not worth the headache.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Elephant Parade posted:

as someone who asked when it would be coming out yesterday, I'm taking 100% of the credit for the early release :colbert:

I, for one, wholeheartedly thank you.

Seriously, though, that's a quicker turnaround than I was expecting even though I gave "6-9" months as my expected release timeline.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Heck yeah.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Huh.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well, that explains part of why it's so quick. No English voice actors would speed things up a little. It also cuts down the costs, which makes sense given that EO is a niche title.

Personally it doesn't bother me at all, half the time I'm playing with the sound off anyway so that I can listen to a book or watch TV while I'm playing.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Elephant Parade posted:

It is doable on Story Mode, right?

Yes, it is - the story party is even one of the strongest parties in EOU if not stronger than any party you can build in pure classic (without using a NG+ story file). Highlander and Gunner are the top damage classes in and can not be created in classic.
That said: it is hard. I'd say EOU is on average the hardest game in the franchise - and the post-game just hates you.

Sounds good to me. I never felt voices were adding much to the exploration or the battles so not wasting money on English VAs seems reasonable.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

They probably want to get it out before the 3DS dies. I just hope they don't rush the translation; EMD proved that they're willing to cut corners. I, myself, was in the state of annoyance at some of the issues that game had.

werbear posted:

Yes, it is - the story party is even one of the strongest parties in EOU if not stronger than any party you can build in pure classic (without using a NG+ story file). Highlander and Gunner are the top damage classes in and can not be created in classic.
I might just lower the difficulty to Standard, then, since I'm not having much fun at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Voices are vitally important to exploration because your characters go “huh?” when you step onto a searchable tile.

Although frankly this game just loves throwing guest NPCs into your party (usually non-combat) and they seem to override all the non-specific voice commentary.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
But eo5 had like, 3 good voices! Noooooo!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ara ara, Hero-kun.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aw yeah, I knew an announcement had happened when there were over 20 unread posts. Bit strange to not dub the game in English when every other game in the series has been, but I was never that bothered about voiced dialogue so it's good we're getting the game earlier!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oh no how terrible

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh. Guess they didn't want to expend the effort since the 3DS is on its way out, and it's a niche title. Still nice to see we're getting it decently fast.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I prefer the Japanese dub so bring on the early game! Now I really do need to go back and try to beat EOV after quitting on the last boss...

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Clarste posted:

Voices are vitally important to exploration because your characters go “huh?” when you step onto a searchable tile.

Actually, all you need to do is assign voices to your characters then turn voice off in the options menu, because there's a bug where the game still does audio ducking even with voice off.

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 15, 2018

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Well I'm secretly* a huge loving weeb so this sounds like two pieces of good news.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Clarste posted:

real gamers examine every single wall :colbert:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So I just started up EO5. I should've started it like a year ago when I bought it. My party is Dragoon/Rover/Warlock/Shaman/Pugilist.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So for those of you who have EOX already, are Farmers worth using now? Or are they still dead weight?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Every class is always good. The only limit is your imaginatiooooon

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Hooray for a quick turnaround! I have a slight problem, though, in that I stopped playing 5 about halfway through the fourth stratum. Here's my question for the thread: am I just burned out on the EO formula, or was 5 noticeably less fun than 4? I've been trying to think why I just wasn't having fun playing the game and I really can't think of anything specific. I think it might have been that I found a party that worked and every time I tried to put something new together it didn't end up working nearly as well as my main party. Whenever I got fatigued in 3 and 4 I could switch things up and keep going (1 and 2 were so long ago I don't really remember), especially in 4. Even if things were sub-optimal they were still fun and I never really felt that way about 5. But is that just me? Am I just bored with EO? For those of you who are playing X, is there enough build variety with all those classes?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

5 was better than 4 in every way

Well except the story, the story was worse than usual

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Hooray for a quick turnaround! I have a slight problem, though, in that I stopped playing 5 about halfway through the fourth stratum. Here's my question for the thread: am I just burned out on the EO formula, or was 5 noticeably less fun than 4? I've been trying to think why I just wasn't having fun playing the game and I really can't think of anything specific. I think it might have been that I found a party that worked and every time I tried to put something new together it didn't end up working nearly as well as my main party. Whenever I got fatigued in 3 and 4 I could switch things up and keep going (1 and 2 were so long ago I don't really remember), especially in 4. Even if things were sub-optimal they were still fun and I never really felt that way about 5. But is that just me? Am I just bored with EO? For those of you who are playing X, is there enough build variety with all those classes?

I'm at the end of the 4th stratum in EO 5, and yah I'm in a similar spot. I think it just feels more grindy than other EO games to me, and I have been dying a loooot in the 4th stratum. I don't know if it's the game, or if I just don't have enough free time anymore for this type of game, though.

I wasn't a huge fan of 4, but I definitely liked EOU and EOU2 way better than 5 so far.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Honestly, it's probably the stockholm syndrome for me, but I also enjoyed 5 less than the other 3ds titles, even acknowledging that it's cleaner and better in most mechanical respects.

then again I'm currently trying to see if there's a way to kill flame demon with my 5 survivalists again so don't take anything I have to say without an avalanche of salt

avalanche of salt is my band name now

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EO2U is my favorite one though

4 ranks near the bottom for me cause I really don't like any of its main dungeons except the postgame one, and that's the most important part of an EO game for me.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

EO2U is my favorite one though

4 ranks near the bottom for me cause I really don't like any of its main dungeons except the postgame one, and that's the most important part of an EO game for me.

Same on both accounts.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Double Plus Undead posted:

So for those of you who have EOX already, are Farmers worth using now? Or are they still dead weight?

They are, at the very least, a lot better than they were in EO3. Weapon skills mean that their lack of combat skill doesn't hold them back as much, especially since they can equip four different types of weapons. Stats also work differently meaning that their bad offensive stats don't hold them back as much as they did in EO3, and of course Final Trick is a fun thing if the rest of your party have good Force Boosts. That being said, subclasses being significantly less broken compared to EO3 hurts them a little.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OzFactor posted:

For those of you who are playing X, is there enough build variety with all those classes?

The skills trees work almost identically to EO4, with new tiers of skills unlocked at 20 and 40, and subclassing only allowing half the max skill level. That said, I feel like the addition of 30 new levels kind of means there’s less variety than before: you more or less have enough points to take all the good skills without missing anything. Like, I maxed out all the death/revive synergy skills on my Shogun simply because I had nothing better to do with those points after maxing out all her best attacks and buffs.

To be fair I’m intentionally limiting my options by only using subclasses with guns, but none of the subclasses seem especially exciting when you have enough points to just max out all the passives you might want. Choose the most damage or highest ailment boosts or whatever. That said, my gunner is subbed Zodiac just for the prophecy spells, which are good utility.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

OzFactor posted:

Wow, this is exactly the way I felt to a T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

At least what I heard from my friend, she felt that classes were much more limited in what they do, and what interests someone might not mesh well.