Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doom with Serious Sam enemy density

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Only if the Imps are yelling "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" the whole time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEYCXPI-qY

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pomp posted:

Just give me a style meter

Do you get bonus points for playing DOOM with a Guitar Hero/Rock Band guitar?

Can we rig up the drum set to work as a controller?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

An adaptor that lets you use the Resident Evil 4 chainsaw controller.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Oh cool 3 new pages of zaphod meltdowns. Definitely a highlight of this thread

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

exquisite tea posted:

Replace the combat challenges with style point multipliers for killing demons in increasingly awesome ways.

Additionally, whenever you get the Berzerk power up, all demons should explode into ammo & health when punched or ripped apart

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The coop character seems like a weird choice.

Having a character who has the ability to mod your weapons on the fly doesn't seem like that bad a choice

Now the question remains: can he lift Doom Slayer and give him air superiority?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

There’s far more intense things in the official Doom releases. This is from Final Doom, so it was officially released and runs on the original Doom engine. It’s the origin of what are called slaughtermaps, maps full of tons of enemies for you to overcome.

https://youtu.be/wCGeNNvG0Z4

If you’re ideologically opposed to slaughtermaps for some reason (and you shouldn’t be, they’re incredible) here’s John Romero’s incredible Perfect Hatred from Ultimate Doom:

https://youtu.be/D23RZ-H60J0

Also there is definitely enough ammo in Courtyard without needing to pull out a berserk fist or chainsaw.

After enemy number 300 I tend to get tired of looking at the same map.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

I think people remember the original doom wrong. They probably played mods or something?

This is probably one of the most enemy dense maps in the game and the pace and action of the game is NOT more intense than Doom 2016...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eDjo6VjqsY

If anything the crazier parts of Doom 2016 were way more intense. The footage of Doom: Eternal where the doomguy is flying all over the place and grappling with demons and dash jumping and glory killing is way more fast paced

You cannot talk about OG Doom without accounting for WADs and tbh DO4M is incredible but still worse than the best WADs

Ancient Aliens dlc for eternal please

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, DO4M's levels are still just a bunch of monster arenas seperated by tunnels, some of the best Doom maps made me think about level design in ways I hadn't before.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
zaphod i think i agree with you more than most but holy hell man tone it the gently caress down PLEASE you ruin threads

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

After enemy number 300 I tend to get tired of looking at the same map.

Good news, Go 2 It has 206. Between pain elementals and arch-viles your final kill count might be somewhat/a lot higher than that, but it meets your criteria.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Arcsquad12 posted:

This would actually be pretty awesome because the enemies in doom pretty much melt if you so much as sneeze in their direction unlike like serious sam enemies which frequently number in the hundreds and are all also ridiculous bullet sponges.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Kongo Bongos or bust

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
On the topic of a Quake remake, in Quake Champions they mentioned making sure they had lore to help give a foundation to any future Quake games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsD8xNer-9U

For Doom related stuff, I was rewatching the gameplay footage and I think think I see mechs in the background of the 2nd gameplay section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGq8Ee2gOe4&t=864s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

zaphod i think i agree with you more than most but holy hell man tone it the gently caress down PLEASE you ruin threads

Dude I'm waiting for him to post what I said that was so aggressive.

Someone asked for an opinion, I gave it, and a ton of people got butthurt and had to mock me because glory kills are how they identify or something.

In what world am I responsible for threadshitting and not them?

Does every thread have to just be an echo chamber for the most popular take? Can we not be adults about having differing opinions?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Man I don't think that the devs were doing anything other than trying to make fun of corporate bullshit speak, but I wish they thought a little about how some of the jokes will be read, because now discussions about DOOM in non-heavily moderated communities are gonna be full of people like this smearing their poo poo everywhere :/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

People that identify as a glory kill, please stop disagreeing, you're going to poo poo down this thread with Zaphod's posts.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I identify as a chaingun

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RottenK posted:

Man I don't think that the devs were doing anything other than trying to make fun of corporate bullshit speak, but I wish they thought a little about how some of the jokes will be read, because now discussions about DOOM in non-heavily moderated communities are gonna be full of people like this smearing their poo poo everywhere :/

I also have nothing better to do all day than to delve deep into Youtube comment sections to find people to get angry at.
Glad to find someone with the same hobby as me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Someone asked for an opinion, I gave it, and a ton of people got butthurt and had to mock me because glory kills are how they identify or something.
People mocked you, but nobody was butthurt, they were merely responding. You seem to be projecting a lot of your own frustrations and butthurt onto the other posters who were simply... arguing the other side of the point we're discussing :confused:

quote:

Does every thread have to just be an echo chamber for the most popular take? Can we not be adults about having differing opinions?
This is why people say you're threadshitting your own thread--the fact that the clear majority of people enjoy the GKs and think they're good outweighs the people who don't like them and think they're bad (which is fine), but you can't handle that and accuse the thread of wanting to be an "echo chamber for the most popular take"

The only one not being an adult about differing opinions here is you, buddy

e:

RottenK posted:

loving UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

r/doom was goddamn insufferable in the days after Quakecon. So many chuds feeling validated by that stupid "Demon is an offensive term" bit. Between that and the female Doom movie protag, the mods made a pinned post about "no more politics"

We live in a hell dimension, that much is clear. Any ideas how we can summon Doomguy's cleansing fire?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 15, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

Tell Jack and Donovan to shut the gently caress up and I gladly will. Those asshats started this whole diatribe, not me. They're trolling the thread at this point and you blame me for being on-topic...

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I also have nothing better to do all day than to delve deep into Youtube comment sections to find people to get angry at.
Glad to find someone with the same hobby as me.

It's not that far of a leap to make in the current climate of the US and Europe. That "mortally challenged" gag plus the corporate speak on accepting our new visitors from hell reads like the worst nightmares of a growing number of people, this discussion on Eternal probably isn't going away any time soon. It's still dumb tho

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
videogames are allegedly fun.

stop being dumb about videogames.

i dont play them as much as id like but retard 4 was swell

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

People mocked you, but nobody was butthurt, they were merely responding. You seem to be projecting a lot of your own frustrations and butthurt onto the other posters who were simply... arguing the other side of the point we're discussing :confused:

This is why people say you're threadshitting your own thread--the fact that the clear majority of people enjoy the GKs and think they're good outweighs the people who don't like them and think they're bad (which is fine), but you can't handle that and accuse the thread of wanting to be an "echo chamber for the most popular take"

The only one not being an adult about differing opinions here is you, buddy

Where did I say I can't handle that? I EXPLICITLY said I was even okay with glory kills being in the game for people who like them. Go read my first post about it, its there.

I'm fine with differing opinions on glory kills. But for daring to say I didn't like them they mocked me, not because I said "you're retarded if you like glory kills". Go read my posts, I never said that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
People are laughing at you because you keep serious posting about nothing and typing in all caps and acting like you're the unsung hero of a video game mechanic being so so

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm fine with differing opinions on glory kills. But for daring to say I didn't like them they mocked me

Oh please, last I checked this was still Something Awful I was posting on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Where did I say I can't handle that?
You didn't have to say it, it's written all over your posting for the past few pages

quote:

But for daring to say I didn't like them they mocked me
Welcome to Something Awful :shrug:

e: this guy says it better than I did

Donovan Trip posted:

People are laughing at you because you keep serious posting about nothing and typing in all caps and acting like you're the unsung hero of a video game mechanic being so so

Anyway, I just saw this in the blessed thread and it was great and needs to be here:

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Dear Zaphod

This is just an online forum buddy.

All the best

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyway, I just saw this in the blessed thread and it was great and needs to be here:

:discourse:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's even more odd with the very angry posts about Dark Souls earlier, and how everyone who has a problem with, say, it being difficult to tell when the game is being hard as hell because it wants you to do something else versus the game being difficult because it's just a difficult game, is an idiot who can't understand how to play properly.

Like, criticizing glory kills, which have a clear purpose, set the game's pacing, and generally make the game's combat more engaging, that's good and righteous and only people who dislike them can be called adults.

Meanwhile, criticizing Dark Souls's signposting, which has given a lot of players trouble over the years and is still a problem games in the subgenre are trying to solve, that's beyond the pale.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Dear Zaphod

This is just an online forum buddy.

All the best

Cool, so since its just an online forum and Jack Trades can shitpost, so can I

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
What about Glory Kills... but with free markets!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
games threads are just weird

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You didn't have to say it, it's written all over your posting for the past few pages

When I explicitly said "this is fine, they should leave this in for other people" ????

No dude, that's not reasonably fair. What words do I have to type to say "its okay if you like glory kills but I don't"

There is no universe in which Jack Trades or Donovan Trip are being reasonable but I'm not. You have to admit they're threadshitting too, at the very least.

And then you can go back and see my first post was just responding to someone literally asking "what do you guys think of glory kills" and I didn't call out Jack Trades by quoting him or mocking him or anything.

So again, how is this my fault?

Welcome to Something Awful :shrug:

Cool, same to you buddy. Welcome to something awful :shrug: I'm just doing what they're doing at this point.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 15, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A quick search on mortally challenged shows this argument is already in swing. I didn't think the joke was offensive but it's certainly close to mocking PC culture and to me that seems like a pointless and careless tread.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/418045-doom-eternal-mortally-challenged-joke-offensively-boring

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool, so since its just an online forum and Jack Trades can shitpost, so can I

hush now

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Zaphod42 posted:

There is no universe in which Jack Trades or Donovan Trip are being reasonable but I'm not. You have to admit they're threadshitting too, at the very least.

No i don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

When I explicitly said "this is fine, they should leave this in for other people" ????
Nah, when you go silent in the discussion then pop back to say things like

Zaphod42 posted:

Thanks for being a reasonable and rational adult.
to the first person to agree with you, despite the fact that there were plenty of posts disagreeing with you in a reasonable and rational adult fashion. You seem to be fixated on two specific posters and whether they're threadshitting, and I'm not interested in arguing that. You think they're trolling, cool, it doesn't bother me and neither does their posting.

But because two posters are annoying you, you're wondering things like:

quote:

This is part of why you're being mocked and why nobody's taking you seriously and you're being perceived as the sole/primary threadshitter, regardless of whether that's actually true--again, not interested in debating whether other posters are badposting because I don't see it as relevant. If you think other posters badposting means you should get a free pass to badpost, guess what? You're not the one "being an adult," as you put it.

hope that helps!