Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm sure you can find things that are 'unrealistic' if you watch any good action scene frame by frame. Who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

There are some minor hesitations and artificially slow movements in a few of the action scenes. They're few and far between, and don't diminish my enjoyment of the films even a tiny bit, but they're there.

Papercut posted:

The Darth Maul battle was done almost 20 years ago and I can still watch it without seeing anything that feels ridiculous.

That's a good example of what I'm talking about because Maul is the one time in Star Wars where they were able to cast a guy exclusively for his athletic ability and movie-fight experience. Not only that, but he was working with Liam Neeson, an actor who had famously been a part of one of the best film sword fights ever made.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 15, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Unless you're going to cast based on athletic ability and fight choreography experience, it's mostly impossible to get scenes that are on the level you're talking about. There's no amount of training or practice that someone like Daisy Ridley or Adam Driver can do in the time available that would allow them to perform the kind of choreography that would be considered top of the line today.
Real talk, are all of these people better actors than Scott Adkins?

In any case, you can't turn Adam Driver into Jet Li in a matter of months, but you should be shooting around it to the utmost and avoiding the mistakes SMG pointed out. Of course, a lot of these blockbusters are on tight schedules, which is how you make a $200 million film that isn't shot all that well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

^^^Ditto

That scene rules. I like the guy getting tossed into the random wood chipper, the whole place going up in flames and the part where Rey throws Kylo a lightsaber and he ignites it through a guy's face.

Do you killjoys watch kung-fu movies in this manner? Hey why is that guy just doing flips in the background instead of stabbing Bruce Lee in the back???

Action scenes are narratives. In Enter the Dragon, the enemies jump in from offscreen one at a time and are swiftly knocked down, vanishing from the screen. This is not an accident. This communicates that Lee is absolutely focused on each individual move. He is not in any way overwhelmed. When Lee snaps a guy's neck, we have a close-up on Lee's face with a sound effect. When Lee faces off against a dozen guys at once, the background is not a huge crowd but a rock wall.

In the rare instances where there is more than one enemy onscreen, or Lee has his back exposed, this communicates glimmers of vulnerability. It means guys are getting into his space. The film is very consistent with how it uses close-ups and framing to put all emphasis on Lee, zooming in when necessary.

Above: Rey fights four dudes armed with sticks, simultaneously.
Below: Bruce Lee fights four dudes armed with sticks, simultaneously.

It's not like there was some technical limitation that prevented them from showing six guys onscreen at once in 1973. That's nonsense.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 15, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Real talk, are all of these people better actors than Scott Adkins?

Well, Driver certainly is. Jury is still out on the rest. But I do agree with you that someone should give Adkins a legit shot at starring in a big budget action movie with real studio resources behind it, I think he could totally handle it after having seen Accident Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do think George Lucas ultimately had the right idea about Star Wars fans.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
For the people dissing on Enter The Dragon, here's the actual scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-cEDaonYM

Like, actually watch and pay attention to how deliberately it's constructed so that the performers do not appear onscreen unless absolutely necessary.

This isn't a 'realism' thing. It's a storytelling thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's true that Bruce Lee's whole martial arts philosophy was about quick but decisive individual blows that were meant to be powerful enough to end fights immediately. So it makes sense to me that the fight scenes in his movies would reflect that, the cinematography emphasizes that he controls the flow of the fight and moves decisively to take guys out when the opportunity presents itself.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm sure you can find things that are 'unrealistic' if you watch any good action scene frame by frame. Who cares.

It's not frame by frame, watch the scene, it's very apparent in realtime.
https://j.gifs.com/KZDQxr.gif

Sword guy on the left literally just turns his back on Rey and walks out of frame, lol.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
SMG would you please grade my fanfictionsincere attempt to imagine a good Ep 9 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/grc316dcvtilb15/OhGodIveWastedMyLife.rtf?dl=0

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not like there was some technical limitation that prevented them from showing six guys onscreen at once in 1973. That's nonsense.
Having several people pretend to attack one guy, who pretends to fight them all off, all onscreen at one time, and making this look plausible, and not getting hurt, is actually pretty hard.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You'd think the Sith henchmen would be used to apprentices killing their masters. They know what the deal is.

Snoke and Kylo Ren are not Sith

That teaching died with Palpatine

Give it time though, we'll have some Knight of Ren survive Episode IX and revive the Sith Order to fight the New New Jedi Order

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

Snoke and Kylo Ren are not Sith

That teaching died with Palpatine

Give it time though, we'll have some Knight of Ren survive Episode IX and revive the Sith Order to fight the New New Jedi Order

Knights of Ren are Sith, they just changed the name.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They're the students who went with Kylo when he burned down Luke's Jedi Hogwarts. They're fanboys of the ultimate fanboy so they must have been some pretty sad dudes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Knights of Ren are Sith, they just changed the name.

Well, they were originally called the Knights of Tatooine until

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylo refers to Snoke as sith. I think it’s a fair inference that he’s sith as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Those would make some pretty dope avatars

euphronius posted:

Kylo refers to Snoke as sith. I think it’s a fair inference that he’s sith as well.

Poked through transcripts of the Sequel Trilogy, and there's only ever two mentions of the Sith - once by Maz in TFA and once by Kylo Ren in TLJ, but he's not referring to Snoke when he says it
Kylo Ren is also simply listed as a Dark Side Apprentice under Snoke, nothing about being a Sith

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s explicitly referring to Snoke as sith.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Having several people pretend to attack one guy, who pretends to fight them all off, all onscreen at one time, and making this look plausible, and not getting hurt, is actually pretty hard.

Well they had the ability to do that back in 1973 too.

Here's how storytelling works.

The story is that Lee stole the nunchucks from the guy in blue. The guy in blue stands there hurt and afraid, while Lee shows off his skills, trying to dissuade him from attacking. But the guy in blue picks up a piece of wood and charges at Lee.

Narratively, this is a one-on-one conflict - but then Lee instantly knocks out the guy in blue and the cut simultaneously reveals the guy in beige approaching in the background. The beige guy is an extension of the blue guy; blue guy's idea was obviously to keep Lee engaged while the beige guy approaches. That's what emboldened him to attack Lee, even after being disarmed and injured.

We then get the second blue guy, who acts as a repetition of the first blue guy. The second blue guy is, for all intents and purposes, the same character minus the injury. So although the first blue guy was literally knocked out, he persists in the story - even emboldened - still trying to keep Lee distracted.

Finally, it's revealed that Lee either detected the beige guy's footsteps, or simply understood what the blue guy's plan was all along. The beige guy is knocked into the convenient spiked pit and this brief story ends with a close-up of the pit, as its water settles after the splash.

From the time the blue guy decides to attack Lee, the action is over in about 4 seconds.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 15, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lots of movies don't do action as well as "Enter the Dragon". There's a reason you're talking about that instead of "Fists of Fury" or "Chinese Connection".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoyed both Enter the Dragon and The Last Jedi.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Lots of movies don't do action as well as "Enter the Dragon". There's a reason you're talking about that instead of "Fists of Fury" or "Chinese Connection".
I mean, it was directly referenced as an example of choreography that has problems, with the other poster arguing that not showing every part of the action in frame was a failure. So I think it's a meaningful comparison.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^I said Bruce Lee movies often had dudes standing around, not "Enter the Dragon" specifically

RBA Starblade posted:

How is such a thing possible?

*posts 800 single-frame screenshots*

Can't you see the huge quality gulf?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As someone who watches films exclusively through Powerpoint I really appreciate this analysis.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

^^^I said Bruce Lee movies often had dudes standing around, not "Enter the Dragon" specifically

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, choreography has come a long with since Bruce Lee. Even Enter the Dragon has him kicking a lot of guys who are offscreen.

Also, these movies ought to be flawless given the budget.
SMG is arguing that kicking guys offscreen is not actually a problem.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think you're allowed to do that, not least because the Story Group hasn't said definitively whether Enter the Dragon is canon or not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think you're allowed to do that, not least because the Story Group hasn't said definitively whether Enter the Dragon is canon or not.

IIRC, there was a comic where Han Solo met Indiana Jones, so I'm pretty sure Enter the Dragon is at least Legends canon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm, there's the possibility that it is, because of the Kryat Dragons of Jakku. Could it be referring to that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

IIRC, there was a comic where Han Solo met Indiana Jones, so I'm pretty sure Enter the Dragon is at least Legends canon

I didn't even realise Indiana Jones crossed over with Enter the Dragon.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
We’re getting the whole volley of reactions, from ‘it’s not Shakespeare’ to ‘I just like it’ to a wholesale rejection of the concept of pausing - as if you take a picture from the film you lose its essence or something.

As usual, nobody is willing or able to simply show that the action is good. The reaction is, like, “we don’t talk about that.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We’re getting the whole volley of reactions, from ‘it’s not Shakespeare’ to ‘I just like it’ to a wholesale rejection of the concept of pausing - as if you take a picture from the film you lose its essence or something.

As usual, nobody is willing or able to simply show that the action is good. The reaction is, like, “we don’t talk about that.”

My reaction is that I enjoy both films and their fights despite the lower quality of one. You have to be careful.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

My reaction is that I enjoy both films and their fights. I accept, not reject. You have to be careful.

So, you ‘just like it.’

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So, you ‘just like it.’

Yes. Everyone, I am not afraid to admit it. I just like Enter the Dragon. It's a good film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Chinese Connection is an awesome film though :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Well they had the ability to do that back in 1973 too.

Here's how storytelling works.
Believe it or not, I'm capable of understanding a story in which a man hits another man and the man (that is, the second man) falls down. I prefer the wide angles and multiple brief exchanges of, say, Project A to Enter the Dragon. If you want to discuss how a lop sau tells a different story from a dollyo chagi, I'm game.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The red guys are a bunch of chumps compared to the Axe Gang

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If “just liking” something is some kind of burn in CDspeak then this place is completely the worst.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

'it’s not Shakespeare’

A-hem

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

If “just liking” something is some kind of burn in CDspeak then this place is completely the worst.

The problem is people using "I just like it" as a way to shut down actual discussion of choreography, cinematography etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

The problem is people using "I just like it" as a way to shut down actual discussion of choreography, cinematography etc.

I sure hope no one thought I was doing that.