Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CelticPredator posted:

If “just liking” something is some kind of burn in CDspeak then this place is completely the worst.

Actually, butting into a critical discussion to just say "but I liked it" and demand validation is pretty obnoxious, and you'd probably have a much better time on the forum if you could tone down that habit and engage in other ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't even realise Indiana Jones crossed over with Enter the Dragon.

Oh for sure, they're both in the Tommy Westphall universe

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Believe it or not, I'm capable of understanding a story in which a man hits another man and the man (that is, the second man) falls down. I prefer the wide angles and multiple brief exchanges of, say, Project A to Enter the Dragon. If you want to discuss how a lop sau tells a different story from a dollyo chagi, I'm game.

Why are you offering to post something substantiative, instead of just posting it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

If “just liking” something is some kind of burn in CDspeak then this place is completely the worst.

Depends on the context. Like, if you come into a thread of people who are discussing what they see as the flaws of a movie, and you challenge their criticisms and get into a debate about it, well you then don't have the option anymore to shut down conversation by saying "well, I just like it". You've entered the fray so it's on you to justify your own opinions with some sort of reasoning beyond "I just like it".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

We then get the second blue guy, who acts as a repetition of the first blue guy. The second blue guy is, for all intents and purposes, the same character minus the injury. So although the first blue guy was literally knocked out, he persists in the story - even emboldened - still trying to keep Lee distracted.

The blue guy, of course, is Jakku.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm sure you can find things that are 'unrealistic' if you watch any good action scene frame by frame. Who cares.

It's just the same thinking at work that we'd critique if it were applied to the prequels, because we Don't Like These Ones.

Not that every criticism is off base, we're just lazy complaining at the moment.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's difficult to write about TLJ because humor is ofc., intensely subjective. I can say the moment where Finn semiconsciously trudges down a corridor leaking what I assume is bacta fluid from hoses stuck to his recuperative suit[?] isn't funny because the pacing's too dragged out, whereas the joke of Rey inadvertently smashing the fish nuns' cart works because it's a quick cut; but someone would just be like "well I thought the bacta thing was funny." And you almost can't judge TLJ as anything but a comedy. Two of its three plots are literally Shaggy Dog Stories---the equivalent of like, character: "we will meet again!" Ron Howard in v.o: "I never saw him again." Like I said, it's kind of a sermon in movie form and in addition to being a single long belabored allegory it's one of those sermons where the pastor keeps trying to "use" humor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The blue guy, of course, is Jakku.

Pretty hosed to reduce a man down as simply a copy of another, like they were part of some sort of clone army or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty hosed to reduce a man down as simply a copy of another, like they were part of some sort of clone army or something.
Like some kind of Group of Blue Men?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

It's just the same thinking at work that we'd critique if it were applied to the prequels, because we Don't Like These Ones.

Not that every criticism is off base, we're just lazy complaining at the moment.

No; George Lucas’ prequel fights have an extremely different style. Watch the laser-swordfight from Phantom Menace again, and pay attention to the narrative.

Despite looking scary, Darth Maul spends the whole battle fighting defensively, while trying to isolate Quigon. He spends most of his time blocking strikes and backing away. There’s a very clear progression.

TLJ’s battle, after the first egregious shot, is focussed on these decontextualized episodes, where the character gets grabbed by the enemy, does some kind of move to escape, and then the camera pans over to the next guy on the other side of the room. Repeat. All with a weird deemphasis on most of the actual killing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

No; George Lucas’ prequel fights have an extremely different style. Watch the laser-swordfight from Phantom Menace again, and pay attention to the narrative.

Despite looking scary, Darth Maul spends the whole battle fighting defensively, while trying to isolate Quigon. He spends most of his time blocking strikes and backing away. There’s a very clear progression.

TLJ’s battle, after the first egregious shot, is focussed on these decontextualized episodes, where the character gets grabbed by the enemy, does some kind of move to escape, and then the camera pans over to the next guy on the other side of the room. Repeat. All with a weird deemphasis on most of the actual killing.

Oh, there certainly is a distinctive style to it. It feels more like a dance number right from the start.

However, it's easy enough to defend as stylized if one is interested in doing so. It's not exactly difficult to figure out what's going on, but instead we're concerned with "realism." Or accounting for every last mook death because they only focus on how some of them die? Who has ever given a poo poo about that? Does each one need to have to die in equally stylized ways? How ridiculous.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The Chinese Connection is an awesome film though :colbert:

i’m guessing you’ve already screened baby cart at the river styx, which also comes to mind as having one or two rather memorable action scenes

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

That's a good example of what I'm talking about because Maul is the one time in Star Wars where they were able to cast a guy exclusively for his athletic ability and movie-fight experience. Not only that, but he was working with Liam Neeson, an actor who had famously been a part of one of the best film sword fights ever made.

It's the best fight I can think of in Star Wars

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Papercut posted:

It's not frame by frame, watch the scene, it's very apparent in realtime.
https://j.gifs.com/KZDQxr.gif

Sword guy on the left literally just turns his back on Rey and walks out of frame, lol.

It was a tactical withdrawal

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Believe it or not, I'm capable of understanding a story in which a man hits another man and the man (that is, the second man) falls down. I prefer the wide angles and multiple brief exchanges of, say, Project A to Enter the Dragon. If you want to discuss how a lop sau tells a different story from a dollyo chagi, I'm game.

Those names sound Chinese

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

However, it's easy enough to defend as stylized if one is interested in doing so. It's not exactly difficult to figure out what's going on,

Why is everyone taking time to say that they could post something interesting but don’t want to right now.

Like let’s just focus on what Rey is up to during the battle.

In the first big shot, a bunch of bullshit happens where all five guys approaching Rey swing and miss, then run away while Rey stabs one of the other guys to death. Then Rey does an effortless one-handed block stopping a simultaneous strike by all five dudes while using the other hand to grab Kylo in his Area and use his rear end as a launchpad for a powerful kick.

We cut away to Poe, then cut back.

Rey is now on the other side of the room, fighting two guys at once: Two-Knife Guy and Whip Guy. There is zero continuity here. After a few swings, Rey lashes out at Two-Knife. He apparently blocks the strike - but also falls off the screen and disappears. Maybe it wasn’t a block, and he died?

Whip Guy catches Rey’s sword with his whip and slllllowly ratchets her towards the bladed tip. Rey eventually swings herself behind Whip Guy and forces him to stab himself. She shakes her sword free of the whip, and we pan over to... Two-Knife! He’s alive! And he’s standing by himself on the other side of the room, doing a pose. What was he doing there while his partner had Rey immobilized and defenceless?

Now here we’ve got another Jakku situation, because I looked on Wookiepedia to see what is canonically going on, and they say there are two identical Two-Knife Guys. There’s a 50% chance that Two-Knife Guy is actually Two-Knife-Guy-Two, but there is no way to tell.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

They're bluffing. Unlike me. When I say I have something interesting, I do. For example: Thanos is daddy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Question Friend posted:

They're bluffing. Unlike me. When I say I have something interesting, I do. For example: Thanos is daddy

Thanos is....Vader?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Question Friend posted:

It was a tactical withdrawal

Lol

The more I watch the gif, the worse it gets. Sword guy on the right dances away for no reason at the start, then waits his turn to wind up for a big golf swing at where Kylo's sword is going to be planted in front of him. The whole fight basically falls apart if you look at anything other than Kylo and Rey.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Papercut posted:

Lol

The more I watch the gif, the worse it gets. Sword guy on the right dances away for no reason at the start, then waits his turn to wind up for a big golf swing at where Kylo's sword is going to be planted in front of him. The whole fight basically falls apart if you look at anything other than Kylo and Rey.

The force can predict things

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Why is everyone taking time to say that they could post something interesting but don’t want to right now.
i could explain it, but ah... maybe later. rest assured ihave many thoughtful insights even though i choose not to share them right now

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Well when what you have to say is...

quote:

In the first big shot, a bunch of bullshit happens where all five guys approaching Rey swing and miss, then run away while Rey stabs one of the other guys to death. Then Rey does an effortless one-handed block stopping a simultaneous strike by all five dudes while using the other hand to grab Kylo in his Area and use his rear end as a launchpad for a powerful kick.

We cut away to Poe, then cut back.

Rey is now on the other side of the room, fighting two guys at once: Two-Knife Guy and Whip Guy. There is zero continuity here. After a few swings, Rey lashes out at Two-Knife. He apparently blocks the strike - but also falls off the screen and disappears. Maybe it wasn’t a block, and he died?

Whip Guy catches Rey’s sword with his whip and slllllowly ratchets her towards the bladed tip. Rey eventually swings herself behind Whip Guy and forces him to stab himself. She shakes her sword free of the whip, and we pan over to... Two-Knife! He’s alive! And he’s standing by himself on the other side of the room, doing a pose. What was he doing there while his partner had Rey immobilized and defenceless?

Now here we’ve got another Jakku situation, because I looked on Wookiepedia to see what is canonically going on, and they say there are two identical Two-Knife Guys. There’s a 50% chance that Two-Knife Guy is actually Two-Knife-Guy-Two, but there is no way to tell.

...a description of what happens, which is somehow bad, and your insight is that two mooks have the same weapon, there isn't much point is there? And... the situation has changed slightly when we come back from a cut? Really?

I mean, you're probably the most astute critic here, and it's obvious you've lost any interest in saying anything other than "thing bad, I do not like thing, therefore all parts of thing bad."

This part in particular

quote:

And he’s standing by himself on the other side of the room, doing a pose. What was he doing there while his partner had Rey immobilized and defenceless?

is literally just "why are those other guys not attacking Bruce Lee with everyone else?" Which was brought up as a strawman version of what is going on at the start of this conversation.

Here, have some fight scenes were everyone could have just rushed him, but don't for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpt8MQVCytM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MigKXB_zSyo

The first one is especially funny because the ringleader keeps sending his guys in one at a time. I'm pretty sure that fight is being played as comedy, though.

But my point here isn't that this is a great fight scene. It's that our collective criticism is now operating identically to the sort we've filled pages complaining about. We're just cataloging Cinema Sins.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 16, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd say most 1 vs. a crowd fight scenes fall apart if you watch the guys who aren't in the action. The Bride vs. the Crazy 88 fight in Kill Bill is good poo poo, but watch the guys in the background just kinda bobbing around with their swords in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_1IMstVzs

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
My criticism of the fight would be that it's the big lightsaber fight of the film, and it's against some Stormtroopers in red with lightsabers.

Kylo vs Luke, while a better fight, is also undermined by it being a big gambit by Luke rather than being primarily a fight.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

i’m guessing you’ve already screened baby cart at the river styx, which also comes to mind as having one or two rather memorable action scenes

Oh, you know it. The last scene of that one is especially memorable. My personal favorite single fight from all six films is the one at the end of Baby Cart in the Land of Demons.

Speaking of which, for thread content, if you slow down most any LW&C fight, you see that Ogami’s opponent’s rush in and often slash too high or off to the side of him, right as he cuts them up. But the choreography is so good and the people are moving so fast you don’t really notice this without slowing it down; it looks pretty great at normal speed.

That fight in TLJ is like the complete opposite. I am starting to think Disney does not actually like Star Wars.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember years and years ago there was a minor controversy when Lucas was quoted as saying that people who hate Jar Jar are "failures at life" but it never became a thing because it was 2005 and people didn't seem to have as much of a hair trigger about that sort of thing. Unfortunately the only source seems to be SuperShadow, but I would like to believe it is true because I have long enjoyed Lucas's occasionally less-than-cordial relationship with the Star Wars fandom.

I remember once Lucas was asked in an interview if he reads what people online are discussing about Star Wars and he replied “no I actually have a life *laughs*”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Two-Knife-Guy-Two is Bigger Luke who just arrived from his home planet of Jakku after it was destroyed by the third Death Star (Starkiller Base).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Phasma comes back in IX, but she’s all done up like Cain from Robocop 2 in a janky robot body, complete with stop-motion animation.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
A bigger problem with the Throne Room fight in TLJ, if we can ignore the choreography for a moment, is it doesn't actually tell a story.

Or rather it does, but then instantly reveals that story to be a lie.

The story it seems to tell is that Rey and Kylo are working together and on the same page finally. See Rey grabbing Kylo's junk (?) and Rey tossing Kylo the saber to end the fight. Teamwork!

But then, because TLJ can't commit to anything, Kylo reveals he is still super-evil and Rey isn't willing to join him. So, what was the point of the team-up then? Just to fake out the audience? Weak imo. There is a reason some people wanted Rey to join Kylo, it's because what story there was in this fight said they were allies, only for the movie to immediately say, "Nah, not really".

And to answer your unasked question, an example of showing two characters who have been antagonistic to one another in the film getting on the same page in a fight scene without dialogue is in Mad Max: Fury Road.

This is because:
1) George Miller knows what he is doing. The movie didn't really have a script, just shitloads of storyboards.
2) After aligning, Max and Furiosa don't immediately turn on each other, the visual storytelling stays "true", for want of a better word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClM8YvNljo

It's not the full scene, but good enough. Take particular note of Max handing Furiosa the rifle and shooting bikers in tandem with her, Furiosa dropping the plow while Max drives and the really quick sequence at about 2:15-2:25 where Max and Furiosa are firing in the same direction at the same dude.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

I'd say most 1 vs. a crowd fight scenes fall apart if you watch the guys who aren't in the action. The Bride vs. the Crazy 88 fight in Kill Bill is good poo poo, but watch the guys in the background just kinda bobbing around with their swords in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_1IMstVzs

My favorite of this was in Beavis in Batman's dream. The Supermarines jump him but one of them stays back and does a jig.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

garycoleisgod posted:

2) After aligning, Max and Furiosa don't immediately turn on each other, the visual storytelling stays "true", for want of a better word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClM8YvNljo

I agree with your overall point -- that the Kylo Ren/Rey team-up is a lot of screen time (but simultaneously low-stakes) for a fake-out -- but in Fury Road, they don't immediately turn on each other because the threat they mutually perceive is actively threatening until close to the end of the film.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not a fake out. Kylo needed Rey to take out Snoke and the guards and wanted her to join up with him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
House of Flying Daggers is ST if ST was good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHKVAaIDeY0

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

It’s not a fake out. Kylo needed Rey to take out Snoke and the guards and wanted her to join up with him.

It's also clearly not just something that's going to be dropped and never brought up again. The Kylo/Rey relationship will, I'd assume, be featured pretty heavily in Episode IX.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Question Friend posted:

There are really good silent movies you don't have to be a pretentious dipshit to enjoy. The General still has impressive action, Charlie Chaplin's The Kid is still touching and funny, and Battleship Potemkin and Birth of a Nation are still some of the most effective propaganda ever made

Almost all reasonably well known silent films are good, as all of the mediocre/bad ones have been basically forgotten to history. Some of them lost forever. We probably lost a few good ones as well.

The 1910s are actually the most underrated decade of cinema history. You've got classics like Victory, Cabiria, Broken Blossoms, Hell's Hinges, Regeneration, etc.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rey not joining with Kylo at the end does not invalidate the story telling of the fight. The fight shows us how similiar rey and kylo are. You see what they can accomplish working together and you expect that Rey might join him! Rey rejecting the offer to destroy the galaxy together with Kylo then has a greater impact than if we are shown they are completely dissimiliar. kylos fury in later crayt scenes of being rejected by probably the first kindred spirit hes ever met is sold by this entire setup.

edit: also the fight scene is good thx

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

Rey not joining with Kylo at the end does not invalidate the story telling of the fight. The fight shows us how similiar rey and kylo are. You see what they can accomplish working together and you expect that Rey might join him! Rey rejecting the offer to destroy the galaxy together with Kylo then has a greater impact than if we are shown they are completely dissimiliar. kylos fury in later crayt scenes of being rejected by probably the first kindred spirit hes ever met is sold by this entire setup.

Kylo isn't trying to destroy the galaxy. He's trying to destroy "the past," which means all the corrupt institutions that rule the galaxy, like the Jedi and the Sith.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
reys just faffin about isnt she

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wild Horses posted:

reys just faffin about isnt she

A bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

We're just cataloging Cinema Sins.

You're not following the post so I'll simplify.

-Realism is not the problem. Narrative is.

-In the span of a cut, Rey and Kylo go from working together to being completely separate for the remainder of the fight. That's bad for the narrative; what led to them being separated? Action is characterization, as when Rey surreptitiously wins by not resisting, letting go of or dropping her sword. These things are important.

-Even going frame-by-frame, it's unclear if Rey is fighting two people or three people. That's bad for the narrative when it's established that there are only eight enemies, and the hero's goal is get rid of them as quickly as possible. (Remember: the plot of the scene is that Rey is helping Kylo to eliminate Snoke's guards so that he can become the new Supreme Leader and give the order to cease firing on the Resistance, who are dropping like flies.)

-The film uses the same visual language to convey that a foe is stunned as when a foe is killed (stumbling exaggeratedly and/or dropping offscreen). The film also uses the same language to convey a block and a hit: both will produce an identical shower of sparks. It's kind of important to know the difference. Example: you might remember the unarmed Spear Guy blocking Kylo's sword with his arm-guards. What you probably don't remember is the same character being stabbed in the back with his own spear and killed, because that happens simultaneous with the block, out of frame. The result is that we are unable to follow Kylo's thought processes. We lose characterization.

-Rey gets stabbed in the back with a massive blade. It looks like their solution was to remove the knife digitally in post, but that just makes it look like it's been totally lodged in her spine. That's just bad beause, again, it's good to know whether a character is dying or not. And Kylo just killed a dude, using two weapons at once, by stabbing him in the spine. It's established that spine-stabbing kills you.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 16, 2018