Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:allears:

‘member your insane stat-shaming meltdown? That was hilarious and definitely a Normal Thing To Do.

You mean the one where you melted down so hard you reflexively snapped at the next person who posted about liking a ship?

Don't try to act like you've somehow got the high ground here you :allears: spamming retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Astroniomix posted:

You mean the one where you melted down so hard you reflexively snapped at the next person who posted about liking a ship?

Don't try to act like you've somehow got the high ground here you :allears: spamming retard.

:allears::

Maybe make your big boy own post without using an ableist slur next time, kiddo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah next time just make fun of autism and not the other mental disabilities

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

toadee posted:

The truth is until the rework it's just loving stupid and you're actively choosing to ruin both your time and others' out of some stubborn resolve or something.

totally this.

just avoid CV play until whatever WG has in store comes to fruition and we can fondly look back at the old less broken UI.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
in non-shitposting news, hermes is the operation of the week so bust out your secondary speced gascans and go to town

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

What is everyone's best advice for carrying with a Light Cruiser? I'm still a cruiser newb for sure (grand total of 269 games), and while I'm at T9 in both USN and RN CLs, I don't feel like I know enough at all about positioning and more importantly, when and where to make an aggressive play because it's needed. I'm OK at farming damage, not great, but my WR is noticeably lower in cruisers than in DDs (part or maybe all of that Im sure is the 1600 games played in DDs vs 270 in CLs). That said, I just find it hard to impact things the same way I can try to in DDs. At best I can position myself to be able to take advantage of an over extended DD, especially in the early game, but beyond that, I feel like all I do is "find a rock, sit by it and shoot". Which sort of just relies on the other team wandering toward you. If they don't, or I'm on the wrong flank, or if suddenly I realize "oh poo poo, no way we're gonna stop those 3 BBs before they get in position to start deleting us", I seem to have no recourse and no good ideas where to begin.

While I'm not under any delusion that I'll start playing like them, you can look at the stats for top players and see that it's entirely possible to carry a 60%+ WR in light cruisers, so I'd like to figure out how to at least be around the 52-55% mark as a short term goal. Right now above tier 7 I'm closer to 45-50%, which is frustrating.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
given how much my brief time has made me hate the playerbase, maybe carriers are for me after all

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

toadee posted:

What is everyone's best advice for carrying with a Light Cruiser? I'm still a cruiser newb for sure (grand total of 269 games), and while I'm at T9 in both USN and RN CLs, I don't feel like I know enough at all about positioning and more importantly, when and where to make an aggressive play because it's needed. I'm OK at farming damage, not great, but my WR is noticeably lower in cruisers than in DDs (part or maybe all of that Im sure is the 1600 games played in DDs vs 270 in CLs). That said, I just find it hard to impact things the same way I can try to in DDs. At best I can position myself to be able to take advantage of an over extended DD, especially in the early game, but beyond that, I feel like all I do is "find a rock, sit by it and shoot". Which sort of just relies on the other team wandering toward you. If they don't, or I'm on the wrong flank, or if suddenly I realize "oh poo poo, no way we're gonna stop those 3 BBs before they get in position to start deleting us", I seem to have no recourse and no good ideas where to begin.

While I'm not under any delusion that I'll start playing like them, you can look at the stats for top players and see that it's entirely possible to carry a 60%+ WR in light cruisers, so I'd like to figure out how to at least be around the 52-55% mark as a short term goal. Right now above tier 7 I'm closer to 45-50%, which is frustrating.

cruisers get much stronger as the game goes on. You can easily reposition to punish/deny pushes.

That said, if your team eats poo poo early, you're pretty SOL and it's hard to carry like a BB or DD can.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Loky11 posted:

cruisers get much stronger as the game goes on. You can easily reposition to punish/deny pushes.

I think a big part of my problem is not having good instincts for when to hold and continue shelling/when to reposition (and hell, probably also where best to reposition to...)

Itd be really great if someone did a series of map tactics, going over the strategic points for different ship types etc

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

toadee posted:

I’m playing cruisers heavily these days, and have reasonably good stats to show for it. I’m actually grinding the Edinburgh and Seattle right now.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1000015932,Velius/

The key for light cruisers is that their roles are both DPS and utility. You’ve got sonar, aa, radar, potentially smoke, and fast firing, low caliber guns. For a good win ratio you’ve got to be contributing to the team, often in spite of teammates, which means supporting your destroyers, killing enemy destroyers, and firing as much as you can while not dying.

In practice I try and move in close to support a friendly destroyer in a cap at the start of the round, preferably out of detection until the enemy dd appears and (preferably) smokes, then give radar and fire support. If you can get an early destroyer advantage you can use your over hill-firing with the dd spotting to get damage in. Otherwise I usually fall back and get shots in while fleeting and trying to not suicide. As a CL you’re not going to be holding a flank alone. As the round progresses I try to stay in range of ships constantly even if that means being in the open, by keeping an eye on the map and the number of ships shooting at me.

The single biggest thing is to not die. My win rate has gone up dramatically since I started playing a more tactical game, positioning to avoid exposing broadsides to the enemy and running when a flank collapses. If you get matchmaking monitor or similar tools you can readily see that damage inflicted and win rates tend to go hand in hand over the long run. And people can manage to do a ton of damage in CLs - I averaged 80k damage in the tier 8 Cleveland even though I had a god-awful initial run of tier 10 games with the 14 km stock range.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

Both USN and RN cruisers are heavily team reliant in several ways, most obviously when it comes to spotting. You simply cannot act alone, you must have at least some teammates nearby even if they do retarded poo poo. On the flip side though your mere presence can have a significant impact even if you don't get to do that much damage, since both of these lines tend to be very good at area denial - most BB's hate pushing into smokes and getting HE spammed, and most DD's want nothing to do with radar cruisers. As you say though, both of these lines are very bad at pushing. They're best used as roadblocks - ships that hold an important position and that the enemy has to trade very unfavorably with to get rid of.

You've pointed out the main limitations of these ships yourself already, so I can only point to the obvious - a large part of getting really good with them comes down to map knowledge and map awareness. In a lot of games, success comes down to choosing the correct rock to hide behind at the start of the game, and then you stay there until the game is either pretty much won or you get pushed out of that position (or die). The trick is choosing a position that allows you to both deny the enemy one or more caps and to shoot ships trying to contest that cap. On some maps (e.g. Sea of Fortune, North, Shatter) there are certain extremely strong positions where you can either deny two caps at once or deny one cap plus some kind of important cover or passage - find those. With USN cruisers in particular, it's important to realize that what you're trying to do (especially early in the game) isn't to kill DD's or even do that much damage to them, it's just to project a big circle around you where they can't or don't want to be. USN cruisers also project a big no-fly zone that safeguards your own DD's if there's a CV in the game.

The keyword here is "passive-aggressive". Don't make ballsy all-in moves, never push aggressively early in the game, just choose a position that the enemy wants and then make it a giant pain in the rear end for them to get it. It's a tricky thing to get right though because the best spots are juuuust on the edge of being too aggressive. If you lose your spotting or if you see a push that is too big for you to stop, you need to move before it's too late, but figuring out the right moment isn't easy.

Not sure how much that helps, but I hope it's at least of some use :shobon:

I can also try digging up some good Cleveland/Seattle replays when I get home if you want.

e: credentials I guess :v:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 15, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ST, French battleship Bourgogne, tier X

Hit points – 74700. Plating - 32 mm.

Main battery - 3x4 380 mm. Firing range - 24.8 km.

Maximum HE shell damage – 5400. Chance to cause fire – 36%. Maximum AP shell damage - 11900.

Reload time - 28.0 s. 180 degree turn time - 36.0 s. Maximum dispersion - 309 м.

HE initial velocity - 830 m/s. AP initial velocity - 830 m/s. Sigma – 1.8.

AA defense:

10x2 20.0 mm, range - 2.0 km, damage per second - 61.

12x2 37.0 mm, range - 3.5 km, damage per second - 145.

12х2 100 mm, range - 5.0 km, damage per second - 178.

3х3 152 mm, range - 5.0 km, damage per second - 25.

Maximum speed - 32 kt. Turning circle radius - 910 m. Rudder shift time – 16.6 s. Surface detectability – 16.7 km. Air detectability – 15.1 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 15.4 km.

Available consumables:

1 slot - Damage Control Party;
2 slot - Repair Party;
3 slot - Main Battery Reload Booster / Catapult Fighter;
4 slot - Engine Boost (top speed +15%).

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

The visual appearance and characteristics of the ship's air defense are not final and are subject to change in subsequent updates.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

So is this the next steel reward?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

So is this the next steel reward?

They haven't said, but yes definitely

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

15" guns at tier 10 :notawesome:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

NTRabbit posted:

They haven't said, but yes definitely

Could be the next Salem/Super Coal ship

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Could be the next Salem/Super Coal ship

Well yeah I guess it could be coal too. Either way it's destined for the Arsenal.

DonkeyHotay posted:

It's basically an Alsace, they already do well and play tier 10 most of the time

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

If Jean Bart goes through with its reload booster as-is and this ship gets the same one, it's actually massive bullshit even with the 15" guns.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

toadee posted:

I think a big part of my problem is not having good instincts for when to hold and continue shelling/when to reposition (and hell, probably also where best to reposition to...)

Itd be really great if someone did a series of map tactics, going over the strategic points for different ship types etc

Cruisers in general have had a fire support role unless someone makes a giant mistake. Like TheFluff said live behind an island, know your own acceleration and turn out times so you know when you absolutely have to retreat and reposition. Make sure when you park behind an island, you are already positioned for a turnout and that position allows you to float back and forth to get slightly better firing positions as the situation demands. Understand angles so that you can open water gunboat if needed. Wiggling is an important part of this, locking your guns while you manoeuvre and then turning while the enemy is on reload so that you can fire a full volley repeatedly. You'll still get citadeled through the bow and stern at times, so it's something you will have to learn to live with.

That said, I nearly soloed a full HP Musashi at the end of a game (of course) with Desu Memes earlier this week and only lost by 9000 HP. Muh damage farm. :banjo:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

DonkeyHotay posted:

They missed the oportunity to do a 4x4 ultimate shotgun :sad:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

If Jean Bart goes through with its reload booster as-is and this ship gets the same one, it's actually massive bullshit even with the 15" guns.

French battleship Jean Bart (Tier IX)

Reload time of “Repair Party” consumable has been increased from 60 to 120 seconds, (“Repair Party l”) and from 40 to 80 seconds (, “Repair Party ll”). Reload time of “Main Battery Reload Booster” has been increased from 120 to 180 seconds (“Main Battery Reload Booster l”) and from 80 to 120 seconds (“Main Battery Reload Booster ll”). Number of charges for “Main Battery Reload Booster” has been increased from 2 to 3 (“Main Battery Reload Booster l”) and from 3 to 4 (“Main Battery Reload Booster ll”).

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Reload time - 28.0 s.

1 slot - Damage Control Party;
2 slot - Repair Party;
3 slot - Main Battery Reload Booster / Catapult Fighter;
4 slot - Engine Boost (top speed +15%).

An Alsace with better reload, reload booster and a better speed boost (pretty sure Republique only gets 8%).

That sounds kind of amazing, I hope it's a coal/free xp ship and not the next Stalingrad or something.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

French battleship Jean Bart (Tier IX)

Reload time of “Repair Party” consumable has been increased from 60 to 120 seconds, (“Repair Party l”) and from 40 to 80 seconds (, “Repair Party ll”). Reload time of “Main Battery Reload Booster” has been increased from 120 to 180 seconds (“Main Battery Reload Booster l”) and from 80 to 120 seconds (“Main Battery Reload Booster ll”). Number of charges for “Main Battery Reload Booster” has been increased from 2 to 3 (“Main Battery Reload Booster l”) and from 3 to 4 (“Main Battery Reload Booster ll”).

Was that a change in the last 2 days or so? Just saw a demonstration of it extremely recently and it still had the 80 second reload. Also that hilariously seems like more of a buff then a nerf. 40 extra second reload in exchange for an extra usage per battle? I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

Was that a change in the last 2 days or so? Just saw a demonstration of it extremely recently and it still had the 80 second reload. Also that hilariously seems like more of a buff then a nerf. 40 extra second reload in exchange for an extra usage per battle? I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

Went up on the devblog an hour ago. Third update for today:

ST. Balance changes. British Destroyers.

For all researched British destroyers the wide spread of TT was replaced by a narrow one, which is similar to of British cruisers’ TT.

The firing angles of some turrets of British destroyers from Tier III to X has been increased. This allows destroyers to feel more comfortable in melee combat and in battles with ships of the same class.

Wakeful – the ability of #3 turret to rotate 360 degrees has been removed.

Icarus – reload time of researched torpedoes has been reduced from 133 to 120 seconds.

Jervis – added the ability of #3 turret to rotate 360 degrees. The ability to rotate 360 for the 2nd TT has been removed.

Lightning – main battery reload time has been reduced from 5 to 4.5 seconds; the horizontal rotation speed has been increased to 20 degrees per second; the ability to rotate 360 degrees has been added for all turrets.

Jutland – the ability to rotate 360 degrees has been added for 1, 2 and 3 turrets; “Fire Control System, Modification 2” is now available for installation; the maximum range of basic hull has been reduced from 12,01 to 11,37 km and from 13,21 to 12,51 on upgradable hull.

Daring - for 1, 2 and 3 turrets added the ability to rotate 360 degrees, added the ability to install upgrades "Fire control system Modification 2", the maximum range has been reduced from 13.78 to 12.78 km.

Restricting the rotation of some turrets was made to bring logical behavior to the armament group on a ship and for synchronous rotation.

Reduction of range was implemented to make it less excessive and more efficient. When firing main battery guns, destroyers will be spotted at maximum firing range but at the same time, because of ballistics, firing at a target at the limit is inefficient.

The speed and acceleration settings for all researched British destroyers and Cossack has been improved. These settings are similar to British cruisers. Now destroyers gain their speed faster and lose it less when turning. “Engine Modification 2” is now unavailable for installation.

These changes are intended to improve British destroyers gameplay in melee combat and highlight their role of “defensive” and slow ships, with bigger smoke’s range and Hydroacoustic Search consumable.

Smoke generator’s settings have been changed for all researched British destroyers.

Emission time has been reduced from 15 to 10 seconds;
Duration of a smoke screen has been reduced to 40 seconds. It used to be up to 113 seconds depends on a level.
Cooldown has been reduced from 240 and 160 to 80 and 60 seconds for default and upgraded equipment respectively.
Number of charges has been increased from 2 and 3 to 5 and 6 for default and upgraded equipment respectively.

Updated equipment characteristics will make destroyers more mobile when it comes to tactics and be more efficient in their role of defensive ship. These changes also allow to leave a smoke screen in case of a danger without losing destroyers efficiency.

We often come across questions about British torpedoes and now we would like to answer to them. We don’t consider any more changes which can influence the whole tech tree besides those we have already announced here. British destroyers are mostly hybrid destroyers and have pretty good weapons with a high chance of setting fires. Moreover, in the current testing stage these ships have two options of torpedo firing: a narrow fan and a single fire. The single fire in a battle gives a nice opportunity to launch torpedoes in a line and increase the chance that all of them will reach an enemy. The single fire also allows to launch limited amount of torpedoes and save other ones for the right moment.

Please notice that all the info in Dev Blog is preliminary.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Well poo poo now I'm excited about British DDs. Thats basically the old Pan Asian smoke isn't it?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

So, this ship is a copy paste of the Alsace at tier X, with worse 380mm dispersion, better AA and turning, a few knots faster and with cruiser speed boost, and with the reload booster.

Needs more things at tier X to be fun - more health, different guns, better sigma - imho.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Heartcatch posted:

Cruisers in general have had a fire support role unless someone makes a giant mistake. Like TheFluff said live behind an island, know your own acceleration and turn out times so you know when you absolutely have to retreat and reposition. Make sure when you park behind an island, you are already positioned for a turnout and that position allows you to float back and forth to get slightly better firing positions as the situation demands. Understand angles so that you can open water gunboat if needed. Wiggling is an important part of this, locking your guns while you manoeuvre and then turning while the enemy is on reload so that you can fire a full volley repeatedly. You'll still get citadeled through the bow and stern at times, so it's something you will have to learn to live with.
In CL's you don't even need to lock the turrets since your turret rotation is pretty great. Being able to run away and dodge incoming fire while throwing your own back at them is pretty much what you have to do in US CL's when things go pear shaped.

British CL's have something that let you be a bit more aggressive though: torpedoes. Don't forget you have torps because they'll allow you to take on things that you just have to run away from in US CL's (and the brits are worse at the 'kiting to oblivion' strat due to not having HE shells.)

Map knowledge/awareness will come with experience. One thing that pretty much every great player does is they look around a lot. After every shot they zoom out, take a quick look around and zoom back in for their next shot. Get into the practice of doing that if you haven't already.

The closest I've come to carrying games in my Cleveland have been when I've put myself in places where I can keep my guns going, keep myself alive and keep the enemy team from winning by repositioning myself to rain fire down on them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

toadee posted:

The truth is until the rework it's just loving stupid and you're actively choosing to ruin both your time and others' out of some stubborn resolve or something.

With every other class, having a terrible player is an issue. An edge hugging battleship, a cruiser sitting in the open, or a destroyer yoloing into the circle is a problem. Just generally not a game changing one. But a terrible CV player can easily throw a game. There were a handful of games in my tier 4 and 5 IJN cvs where the enemy one was super terrible and I just stomped people. At high tiers it’s even more bullshit.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I could see making a fairly enjoyable gimmick out of playing a historical CV in this silly arcade naval game. Only dropping on allied ships, pretending to be in The Final Countdown, lots of Banzaii! But ultimately they’re just not that much fun. You do have lots of time to type though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just got the Alsace and even stock she's amazing.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
How long is the sharks vs eagles thing going to run?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It ends this weekend, doesn't it? Too long.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I was mostly a non-participant since low tiers are not allowed to play.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Ugh, what day this weekend? I’m 12 points away from a Worcester permanent camo, and I had seven games yesterday with no switch side option.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Camos were ugly as poo poo so I just cashed in the tokens for a billion containers.

Thanks for the tips everyone on the CL advice. Was 6 for 8 on the evening, although my best game was a loss (152k, 24 plane kills in Neptune). Had a game on Northern Lights in Seattle where just sitting on the island on the west side of D cap, radaring C and D (I felt so bad for that poor Shima, I been there buddy), hydro spotting cruisers trying to hug the tip of the island, and shelling BBs trying to push through controlled the entire side and definitely showed what you guys are saying about denying with consumables. I only got 75k of damage in but honestly just sitting there being a point you could not move beyond seemed way more valuable than any damage there.

Also realized Seattle can tank a bit with her rear, I feel a lot more confident now fleeing and gunning when I need to gtfo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I got the Des Moines camo because I'm not planning on getting a Worchester anytime soon and the rest of my tokens are probably going to go to getting containers. Need dat coal.

Although if I do get enough eagle tokens to get another camo, I'll just go for the Des Moines again so I can get 10 million credits so I can afford to actually get the Des Moines. High tier botes are expensive :saddowns:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
drat, if it ends this weekend I won't get to the max token level. Time to buy a pile of crates I guess.

e: I like how WG only says that the event ends when 0.7.8 comes out but doesn't say when that is. edit again: Ok, mousing over the event thingy in your port gives you the end date. 21.8. on the EU server.

bloom fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 16, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ah, that makes more sense. Same day as patch.

After getting my Worcester camouflage, I haven't really been bothered to play more for the other side of the tokens even if it's basically free coal. I am very burned out after the clan battles season.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Are the premium ships available for coal or steel worth buying? Or should I blow those resources on crates or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Are the premium ships available for coal or steel worth buying? Or should I blow those resources on crates or something?

The Campbeltown is, to put it plainly, bad. It can do some dumb stuff but it's really not worth it. I'm still hoping they give it a bonus to ramming damage some day. The Yubari is also very not good but it has one major asset, that being a real boy AA rating at tier 4. So you can make seal clubbers in Langleys and Hoshos very sad.

The Oktober is actually quite interesting in my opinion--you get limited uses of Damage Control, meaning you have to really be on point with juggling heals. This is in exchange for 12 Russian Bias 12-inchers in four turrets, the angles of which are okay.

The Aigle is big and fat and can run like gently caress with the speed boost on. Its gun angles are a little infuriating but it gets 139mm guns, the largest you can get and still benefit maximally from all the gun skills. I don't know if I'd recommend it, I got one for free and I have fun with it.

The Flint and the Black are very, very good ships, but ones you need to know what you're doing with to get the most out of them. They're also expensive as hell.

The Musashi is... eh.

Finally, I don't think the Salem is worth all the saving you'll need to do for it, but that's up to you.