Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Do not take an blonde Western women through an Egyptian Souk unless they are wearing a headscarf or they are going to get repeatedly groped and only threats of violence caused the men to desist.

Then again, half of this subforum has been committing extreme violence in middle-eastern markets for most of this Century, so perhaps it's a surplus warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think the s:n is cool. It gets out of hand on occasion, but it's a giant conversation with a bunch of people- it happens. So far, the controls in place have worked pretty well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DKD posted:

I once worked with an old Egyptian lady. When another co-worker told her he studied American history, she smirked and told us that Americans have no history, that three or four centuries is a joke. We were forced to concede the point.

Yeah, but at least we have a future.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Chichevache posted:

That’s a desert sand across the face burn.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EBB posted:

Informal poll: are you all fine with the current level of shitposting/white noise in this thread, or is it disruptive?

It’s good, keeps the thread active between ZOMG MAGA tweets.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Love your optimism

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it's fine.

who's whinging?

I've been reporting my own posts for a long rear end time

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Cheer up, y'all. Apparently, everyone hates Stephen Miller.

https://splinternews.com/stephen-millers-uncle-says-dozens-of-family-members-hat-1828329792

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah this thread should go back to every post containing embedded twitter posts!!

But really I might catch poo poo for this but Petra is an extremely overrated tourist trap. Constant barrage of vendors/haggling at every corner while you’re trying to soak up the beauty. Stupid expensive. You cannot even go in the main attraction: the treasury. Most everything else is pretty much just a facade, some have small little areas you can walk into but that’s it. I’ll be honest, I didn’t get to hike the surrounding area which is probably half of it, especially a day hike to one of the tombs I think it is.

But really if you’re going to haul all the way to Jordan just to visit this one site I think it’s a huge waste. Just imo and all that. gently caress all else to do in Jordan really.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stephen Miller is the Larry David of politics. The character, not the person.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s good, keeps the thread active between ZOMG MAGA tweets.

this thread used to actually discuss all the news tho. moved faster, but skipped alot less events.

I think the S:N were about the same tho

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah this thread should go back to every post containing embedded twitter posts!!

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1029777384973787142?s=21

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

RFC2324 posted:

this thread used to actually discuss all the news tho. moved faster, but skipped alot less events.

I think the S:N were about the same tho

feel free to post non-trump news, friend

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
What’s this Russian satellite doing then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45194333

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

quote:

Perhaps the most satisfying moment came later in the interview, when Glosser said “dozens”—yes, DOZENS—of his family members “encouraged” him to “push forward” with the public disavowal of the Trump administration’s most Earthworm Jim-lookin’ piece of poo poo.

Feel good burn of the week.

monkeytennis posted:

Somebody call Clint Eastwood.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1029786356694872065?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
....that's impressively bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

either they are gloating assholes and know a pardon is on deck or they're get-sued level incompetent

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
poo poo, what else are you gonna do? There's paper trail, witnesses to the paper trail, and Gates throwing the whole game.

Assuming the jurors are competent, he boned

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FAUXTON posted:

either they are gloating assholes and know a pardon is on deck or they're get-sued level incompetent

It’s quite possible they’re stuck in an ethical dilemma. They cannot put forth something they know is a lie, but at the same time they have to put forth some defense. That might be all they’re allowed to say without risk of sanctions because so much of manafort’s crimes are public knowledge there is no defense. Typically in that situation they just attack the government on not fulfilling it’s burden. It doesn’t read like they’re doing an exceptional job of arguing that point, but they might really not have any other valid defense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
SEC just subpoenaed Tesla re: the acid trip tweets about taking tesla private at $420 while Grimes and Elon ghosted their blick houseguest.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

monkeytennis posted:

The posting here is all good. I can't find poo poo on what this satellite is actually doing anywhere, the Russians have had all sorts of weird test articles up the last few years, I remember seeing mappings of satellites they had up with constantly varying (to a small degree) orbits (harder for anyone to peek at them).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

not caring here posted:

poo poo, what else are you gonna do? There's paper trail, witnesses to the paper trail, and Gates throwing the whole game.

Assuming the jurors are competent, he boned

The defense presumably would be to introduce reasonable doubt that the documents are correct, Gates was the real criminal and Manafort was Gates's patsy. ie that crazy paper trail is Gates's forgeries or something.

But thats saying the evidence is evidence of something, just not the specifically charged crimes. "gently caress you guys I'm going home*" seems like a bold move.

*"well, I'm going home, my client isn't, but he should because hes innocent"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it's loving amazing that you can gently caress up so badly that the trump administration's SEC is like 'woah there muskman, let's cool it'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s quite possible they’re stuck in an ethical dilemma. They cannot put forth something they know is a lie, but at the same time they have to put forth some defense. That might be all they’re allowed to say without risk of sanctions because so much of manafort’s crimes are public knowledge there is no defense. Typically in that situation they just attack the government on not fulfilling it’s burden. It doesn’t read like they’re doing an exceptional job of arguing that point, but they might really not have any other valid defense.

Idk, argue reasonable doubt where you can and lean hard on it being only a little bit of crime at sentencing or something. I don't disagree with discrediting the witnesses, but just being like "your eyes are lying to you and the statements/documents/signed forms are actually not really illustrating criminal acts" is really questionable practice. They're straight up just saying "nah" which is what you do when you're Manafort, his lawyers are the ones who should be putting forth a compelling and possibly lengthy argument as to why Manafort might not be guilty, not just claiming paperwork isn't real.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

monkeytennis posted:

Bet you it's just the US stirring poo poo so you guys can launch your own space weapon with some sort of justification.

e: Or Putin is gonna broadcast the piss tape from the satellite and Trump is scrambling for justification to take it out!?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1029799533943947264?s=21

Completely normal, this won’t have any affect on morale or retention within the IC.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just popping in to remind you that the Speaker of the House once said that the President of the United States was just trolling u bro lol, no way he would do s/thing that dumb

Surprise, he wasn't.

quote:

As the head of the executive branch and commander-in-chief, I have a unique constitutional responsibility to protect the nation's classified information. Including by controlling access to it. Today in fulfilling that responsibility, I've decided to revoke the security clearance of John Brennan, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1029799533943947264?s=21

Completely normal, this won’t have any affect on morale or retention within the IC.

This is the "nothing short of treason" guy, right?

Nothing suspicious or inappropriate about that I guess.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Syncopated posted:

Bet you it's just the US stirring poo poo so you guys can launch your own space weapon with some sort of justification.

welcome to the party pal

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I know that death by diseas is probably pretty far down on our list of end of the world scenarios but

quote:

An ongoing Ebola outbreak is spreading across the Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu province, and it has health officials gravely concerned due to conflict in the area along with other factors.

The country's Ministry of Health announced Monday that 57 cases of hemorrhagic fever have been reported in the region: 30 confirmed and 27 probable.
The outbreak has left 41 people dead, according to the World Health Organization.
WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus visited the city of Beni and the Mangina area in North Kivu. Mangina, which is about 30 kilometers or 19 miles from Beni, sits at the epicenter of the outbreak.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/health/congo-ebola-outbreak-update?no-st=1534363999

I recently read Demon in the Freezer and a couple other books so im probably kind of sensitive to this poo poo but lmao

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean that's the kind of poo poo that I was talking about last night. Take a whole crapload of people that nobody really gives a poo poo about anymore, toss them in an extremely high concentration, and wait for some kind of horrific disease to pop up and spread like wildfire.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The memo to revoke Brennnan’s clearance the White House released is dated 26 July.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What’s the importance to that?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

What’s the importance to that?

The decision was made years ago in DJT time and they were sitting on it to deflect when something came up, Manafort trail

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
they were sitting on it for a rainy day

like when you've got a former staffer handing out secret recordings like candy and your campaign manager is about to get convicted of all the crimes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Waroduce posted:

I know that death by diseas is probably pretty far down on our list of end of the world scenarios but

I recently read Demon in the Freezer and a couple other books so im probably kind of sensitive to this poo poo but lmao

We'll just continue to ignore poo poo like this until it pops up in loving Dallas (again) and then everyone will rage over it for a few weeks and then we'll ignore it again.

This is every infectious disease ever that does not kill small white american children btw.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Wtf I swear I heard recently that had ended

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

sharknado slashfic posted:

Wtf I swear I heard recently that had ended

You may well be thinking of last year's outbreak, same place.

Big up to date list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
e; somehow an edit became a double post idfk

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 16, 2018

• Locked thread