Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If I can make a recommendation: get A Brighter Summer Day and watch it.

You might think it's 4 hours long - and that tells you how good it is. It rarely drags, and there's not much that can be lost.

It tells the story of Si'r, a young Tawainese teenager who comes from the mainland. He struggles with gangs, school, women, family, and life. It's a story that sets itself up and it takes a lot of twists and turns.

It's hard to talk about because it is really a large work. And with the exception of one shot, it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A Brighter Summer Day is so DARN good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s loving incredible

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I had A Brighter Summer Day recorded on the DVR a few years ago and I was all hyped to watch it one day...only to find it had been deleted off of there by some fiend. :smith:

I'm pretty sure my father deleted it, though he tried to deny it when I confronted him about it. What kind of monster just deletes recordings like that!!!????

Oh well I have the blu-ray now. Now I just have to find four free hours...

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Spatulater bro! posted:

Man it's tempting to jump on that, despite not having much interest in the set. I own Easy Rider and I've seen Five Easy Pieces. How are the rest?

Head is utterly fantastic. It kind of depends on having at least some knowledge of The Monkees though, as most of the movie is blasting apart the commercial ideas behind why they existed. Also, it's co-written by Jack Nicholson if that means anything. I wish it was available on its own, but you can only get it in this box set and a $200 box set that includes the Monkees tv show.

Last Picture Show is pretty great too, but I thought it was a bit too calculated in the way some of Bogdanovich's stuff can be. It's been a number of years since I last saw it, so I may need to give it another shot.

I haven't seen the other ones in the set except for what you already named.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Man it's tempting to jump on that, despite not having much interest in the set. I own Easy Rider and I've seen Five Easy Pieces. How are the rest?

The Last Picture Show and The King of Marvin Gardens are great. I liked Head and Drive He Said. A Safe Place isn't terrible, but it's not in the same league as any of the other films... but it has Orson Welles as a magician, so...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

I had A Brighter Summer Day recorded on the DVR a few years ago and I was all hyped to watch it one day...only to find it had been deleted off of there by some fiend. :smith:

I'm pretty sure my father deleted it, though he tried to deny it when I confronted him about it. What kind of monster just deletes recordings like that!!!????

Oh well I have the blu-ray now. Now I just have to find four free hours...

My friends host movie nights, and when I got it, I was thinking "this would be great..." but then I realize getting my friends to watch a 4 hour movie without an intermission would be quite the feat.

I may not watch it often, but I am glad I've seen it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

there's not a bad edward yang movie

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cemetry Gator posted:

My friends host movie nights, and when I got it, I was thinking "this would be great..." but then I realize getting my friends to watch a 4 hour movie without an intermission would be quite the feat.

Couldn't you just do your own intermission two hours in? :confused:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Oh... I just imported the laserdisc version. Stops every hour. Not so great picture quality. But hey, you got to work with what you got.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

A Brighter Summer Day doesn’t need an intermission

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched Blind Chance last night. Kieslowski simply couldn't make mediocre films, did he? Also, the ending... was that from footage of an actual accident?

Also, Tom Jones was a blast. Though, they should have included the Dave Allen parody of the eating scene. It's note for note like the original, except it ends with them puking :v:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I couldn't resist one more purchase on the last day of the sale. I picked up To Be or Not to Be. Can't wait to hear the commentary.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Arcella posted:

Did they officially announce a Godzilla box set, or was it only announced that they got the rights?

I messaged them about it, and they said they hope to release them eventually but a release isn't on the schedule yet.

Also all of them are on filmstruck right now but I want a criterion Godzilla box set damnit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Half false alarm on the America Lost and Found set...

Criterion confirmed the DVD edition is going OOP, but the Blu-ray will remain in print for the foreseeable future (like Zatoichi).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I was bored at work so I made this Letterboxd list: Criterion Films Included in the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? (TSPDT) list

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Half false alarm on the America Lost and Found set...

Criterion confirmed the DVD edition is going OOP, but the Blu-ray will remain in print for the foreseeable future (like Zatoichi).

I’m really hoping this means they’re phasing out DVD editions.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I honestly expected a bigger overlap.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched In Cold Blood. Real gut punch of a film. Conrad Hall knew how to light the hell out of black and white.

Also, TIL what Truman Capote sounded like.

Look at this fella who hasn't seen Murder by Death.

I splurged on other things recently (and still have the Tati and BBS boxes from sales past to further dive into) so avoided the sale until now, but on my way home figured I should grab one thing from B&N, and after wracking my brain with indecision came away with the Science is Fiction Jean Painlevé set. It's French, it's weird, it's educational, and it's a lot of runtime for a little money. Good enough for me!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

Look at this fella who hasn't seen Murder by Death.

I splurged on other things recently (and still have the Tati and BBS boxes from sales past to further dive into) so avoided the sale until now, but on my way home figured I should grab one thing from B&N, and after wracking my brain with indecision came away with the Science is Fiction Jean Painlevé set. It's French, it's weird, it's educational, and it's a lot of runtime for a little money. Good enough for me!

I forgot about that! Probably should see it again since any movie with Peter Falk and Peter Sellers can't be that bad.

Science is Fiction is amazing, though. I finally watched all the films earlier this year. Le Vampire is one of the best educational films ever made. I love how Painleve used Duke Ellington's The Mooch as the main music.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This made me giggle.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just watched The Spirit of the Beehive and it's miraculous. I see it doesn't have a Blu-ray release and that makes me sad.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just watched The Spirit of the Beehive and it's miraculous. I see it doesn't have a Blu-ray release and that makes me sad.

Always great to see some Spirit of the Beehive love. If you haven't already, see Cria Cuervos. Ana Torrent starred in that and Beehive back to back, and they're both absolutely incredible.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I'm a bit late to this thread with the sale at Barnes and noble, but I did manage to get the before trilogy, Dazed and Confused and the Virgin Suicides. For November I'm going after Nashville, boyhood and the princess bride.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are the flash sales random, or do they happen at particular times in the year?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Origami Dali posted:

Are the flash sales random, or do they happen at particular times in the year?

They happen at particular times. The Criterion Flash Sale usually happens in February and October, and the B&N Criterion sale happens in July and November.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So basically, you have just enough time in between sales to watch all the movies you bought before the next sale comes around and you buy a bunch of new ones.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched Walkabout tonight (on Filmstruck). Such a goddamned beautiful movie. Not sure where to go from here with Nicolas Roeg - I've seen Performance, Don't Look Now, and The Man Who Fell to Earth (as well as The Witches :v: ) - seems like Bad Timing and Insignificance are pretty good?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So basically, you have just enough time in between sales to watch all the movies you bought before the next sale comes around and you buy a bunch of new ones.

Part of my problem is that I'm making up for a lot of lost time. In my doomed marriage, most of "our" purchases were new films like Marvel and Disney stuff. I think over four years, I might have bought ten movies just for me. Though, I've basically stopped buying new releases since I'd rather wait for UHDs

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 15, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Watched Walkabout tonight (on Filmstruck). Such a goddamned beautiful movie. Not sure where to go from here with Nicolas Roeg - I've seen Performance, Don't Look Now, and The Man Who Fell to Earth (as well as The Witches :v: ) - seems like Bad Timing and Insignificance are pretty good?

Bad Timing is Roeg's best film.

Watch it back to back with Carnal Knowledge and double-up on your Garfunkel.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVDBeaver put up a review of Andrei Rublev:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_72/andrei_rublev_blu-ray.htm

Looks like the 205 minute cut is from a theatrical print since it has burned-in subtitles, but is definitely a new transfer rather than an uprez from the laserdisc master.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat, kinda sucks that the long cut doesn't look better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

DVDBeaver put up a review of Andrei Rublev:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_72/andrei_rublev_blu-ray.htm

Looks like the 205 minute cut is from a theatrical print since it has burned-in subtitles, but is definitely a new transfer rather than an uprez from the laserdisc master.

Not the worst news, but certainly explains why their language about it was ambiguous. Sounds like a rights issue almost, like they only had a limited window to get both cuts and all affiliated extras in one package and had to jump.

I'm very loving excited for it, though I will certainly miss the incredible box art for the original Criterion dvd from way back when.

205 4 LYFE

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

November announcements:

Some Like it Hot
True Stories
The Magnificent Ambersons
A Story from Chikamatsu

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Magnificent Ambersons
Ahhhhh yeeeaaaahhh.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

I was just wondering the other day when they were going to end up announcing this. And this has me even more psyched:

quote:

CD with 23 songs, containing the film’s complete soundtrack, compiled here for the first time (Blu-ray only)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow!

The Magnificent Ambersons and Some Like It Hot are must-haves for me, but I'll likely pick up True Stories as a blind-buy, too. And the Bergman set on top of all that!

Also, picking November for Ambersons is smart on their part. Not just for the B&N sale, but The Other Side of the Wind is premiering on Nov. 2 on Netflix. Now we just need an upgrade of Mr. Arkadin and all of Welles' completed films will be on Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 15, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also has anyone seen that Mizoguchi? I'm tempted to blind buy it when it comes out.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sadly I haven't seen The Magnificent Ambersons so I'll have to pick it up when it drops. The only thing I know it from is that time Gene Siskel referenced it in his legendary burn on Little Indian, Big City.

Also, Some Like It Hot! :woop:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Oh hell yeah True Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Finally, a completely cool, multi-purpose Criterion release.