Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

AngusPodgorny posted:

It's really just a random draw. Any civil case worth more than $75,000 filed with the federal court system in central California has a chance to end up in front of J. Gee. As well as a bunch of other things, like she might do an immigration case in the morning and a billion dollar patent infringement in the afternoon.

Also most federal judges have pretty impressive resumes, so the other random alternatives were no slouches themselves.
Thanks, then I was reading more into it then there was.

Edit: a NAL catte catching up to the legal system's workings.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Beexoffel posted:

For a long time I have wondered why the authorities weren't investigating CIG.
And I also wondered why such a distinguished judge was put on what I think is a relatively small a case of a fraud under 500 million.
But now I got the idea that this is exactly how the authorities are getting involved: CIG exists by ambiguity and muddled dependencies and sidetracking and inane verbosity and confusion, and this judge is a master at cutting through the bullshit. She'll cut off the fluff and expose the small, simple mechanism by which crowdfunding has been bent into scamming.
Giving clear directions for regulation on crowdfunding once the case is over.

And then Derek gets the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beexoffel posted:

Thanks, then I was reading more into in then there was.

Maybe this time, sure, but you can always count on the fact that CIG is always doing something dumber than any of us can imagine. CIG is the wellspring from which all ineptitude flows.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I am convinced that if there is one incredibly shady thing that CIG did that may not actually be illegal but loving should be, it is the resale market.

They artificially propped it up for years by selling "Exclusive one time only" ships that you were then allowed to trade freely. Or by only offering ships for resale at an increased price. This meant anyone racing to buy early would actually be earning money, you see, in the long run because they could always sell at a markup. Some of the markups on exclusives were insane, too- 450% or more for cap ships at one point.

We know that the above is true. We also know, anecdotally, that they handed out ships to streamers and employees with the explicit intent that they be sold through this market to supplement income (without any of that nasty tax business). I mean, setting up your own digital goods market based on artificial scarcity and then partially paying your employees under the table in those digital goods- that has to be illegal, right?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes- spreading doubt and then buying low, to sell high when the game comes out and is good.

This is what some backers actually believe

I'm holding onto four Idris'ses, got them at rockbottom prices too! Bree's articles at MOP help me a ton, I just link people to them and drive their selling price lower :wink:

UEC billionaire here I come! It's not Pay2Win, it's FUD2Win :smug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

ThatKazan has a spooky gift for psychoanalysis. He’s got you down, Beet.

Does he know that if the game ever launches he’s already on the Goon Top 5 :lol: Bounties List? Last I heard only B’tak outranked him.

I particularly like the callout about "you run the SA thing and the subforum," or whatever it was that he said.

Here's some free advice, reddit guys: if someone's following you around reddit bothering you, report them to the subforum moderators, reddit admins, and Jesus, and then block them. It's really that simple. There are - and this will be a suprise, I know - no rules anywhere else on the internet preventing people from posting links to your stupid comments. That's an entirely in-house feature of reddit. So if someone's brigading you or whatever, you have to use reddit's tools to stop that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I am convinced that if there is one incredibly shady thing that CIG did that may not actually be illegal but loving should be, it is the resale market.

They artificially propped it up for years by selling "Exclusive one time only" ships that you were then allowed to trade freely. Or by only offering ships for resale at an increased price. This meant anyone racing to buy early would actually be earning money, you see, in the long run because they could always sell at a markup. Some of the markups on exclusives were insane, too- 450% or more for cap ships at one point.

We know that the above is true. We also know, anecdotally, that they handed out ships to streamers and employees with the explicit intent that they be sold through this market to supplement income (without any of that nasty tax business). I mean, setting up your own digital goods market based on artificial scarcity and then partially paying your employees under the table in those digital goods- that has to be illegal, right?
one could say its a grey area

*cue chortling*

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I particularly like the callout about "you run the SA thing and the subforum," or whatever it was that he said.

Here's some free advice, reddit guys: if someone's following you around reddit bothering you, report them to the subforum moderators, reddit admins, and Jesus, and then block them. It's really that simple. There are - and this will be a suprise, I know - no rules anywhere else on the internet preventing people from posting links to your stupid comments. That's an entirely in-house feature of reddit. So if someone's brigading you or whatever, you have to use reddit's tools to stop that.
there's actually a good way for people to stop posting your stupid posts across the internet

stop loving making them

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

I've always wondered what spawned the "you're just creating fud to make profits on the grey market!" conspiracy theory, but I've never actually asked.

It probably just grew up piecemeal. It happens a lot in the isolated smelly corners of Reddit, you get a tiny echo chamber and it quickly turns into a inbred game of Chinese whispers. The end result is that a offhand paranoid comment can quickly grow from rumor to "known fact" in a matter of months, often with the original rumor monger never realizing that's he's the source.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm having the time of my life with you guys here. Reading about CIG makes me feel a lot better about the different shitshow of a gaming company I work for.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

I'm having the time of my life with you guys here. Reading about CIG makes me feel a lot better about the different shitshow of a gaming company I work for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Reading some of the DS analysis here: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1029687504205688832.html

If you go to the part where he talks about the injunction arugments by SKadden (pg 17-18) he's posted an excert of the judges rulling talking about "the online videos has Crytek copyright material on them" LOLOLOLOLOL

It all goes back to those "Bugsmashers" videos guys! so great

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

AngusPodgorny posted:

Nope. There should be a choice of law provision in the contract that says California law always applies.

Even if someone forgot to add that to the contract, which is pretty badly drafted granted, you only get one shot at a judgment. Other states will enforce a judgment from a California court, but they won't add things onto it.

And as a practical matter, you'd have to find a state with more plaintiff-friendly laws than California. If such a place existed and suing was possible there, then Skadden should have done so in the first place, because shopping for a favorable forum is Litigation 101.

Looks from the order like they're only potentially on the hook for SQ42 sales during the time period when it was for sale independently and before the switch to Lumberyard, which would limit if not eliminate the damages. The question of how long that time period was and how many sales occurred is something J. Gee is going to wait for some evidence on.

Federal district court of East Texas used to be the go to for IP cases if you were shopping for a friendly venue....

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

I love going on the record online

This from DS:

"For posterity sake, I am calling it now.

We're going to wake up one day and find that Crytek owns EVERY asset of CIG/RSI entities."

LOLOL

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

so what's the consensous from legal people on here?

Does Crytek go in full blast discovery/subpoena/trial all that stuff?

Or do we get a quiet settlement. What does the sound legal strategy say?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Federal district court of East Texas used to be the go to for IP cases if you were shopping for a friendly venue....

Yeah, for IP stuff.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bayonnefrog posted:

They could have gotten a quiet settlement months ago - CIG offered one.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

there's actually a good way for people to stop posting your stupid posts across the internet

stop loving making them

also this

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

They could have gotten a quiet settlement months ago - CIG offered one.

oh ok I didn't know that. Do we know the amount?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

stop loving making them

Not post?!
Wtf is wrong with you?
Ban this sick filth.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bayonnefrog posted:

oh ok I didn't know that. Do we know the amount?

I believe it was under $10 million. CIG can't swing any more than that, because as a company, they're actually deep in the red. Their debt/asset ratio is something like 30:1.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Morphix posted:

goddamn am i happy i stopped my gaming career aspirations after trying game testing at a microsoft contractor back in high school

i got fired for posting halo 2 secrets i think on here actually lol

Lol, I worked for one of those contractors too at about that same time.

No, I didn't get you fired.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

No, because this isn't an episode of Columbo

Just one more thing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

In addition, I'll add this: those who subscribe to the conservative view that CIG will not collapse spectacularly but rather with a slow fizzle, I'd point out that CIG's entire method of financial sustenance relies 100% on their constant ostentatious display of being a healthy rockstar studio.

They are locked into hanging on to all those shell companies and all their offices. They've been lying about all the employees leaving and all the "customer service" layoffs for months now, as well as keeping those "hiring notices" front and center while mysteriously never filling those positions.

Appearances are everything. It won't take much to start the avalanche. Once it's obvious they're scaling back expenses, backer confidence erodes and pledges decelerate. That leads to a very rapid spiral - in CIG's case, incredibly rapid due to the ludicrous expenses they've racked up maintaining lavish lifestyles and false appearances. This is not a frugal studio - it's an ego-fueled acid trip.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

haha yes, that's it, not because ben was covering for sexist and homophobic comments and letting whales do whatever the gently caress they wanted without repercussion

leave poor dickwolf out of this. and his little thing as well.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Dooguk posted:

Just one more thing.

o god now what.........

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

like the grey market is already at like 60% of the value of poo poo and its projected to fall to 40% if 3.4 doesn't come out this year and is fuckin amazing

so are we trying to get the market to crash to buy back a bunch of stuff at lower prices or something

I dont fuckin get it

We tank the prices, buy back in, and force B'tak to be our cabin boy.

It's like nobody reads the loving orientation manual, and Beet did all the coloring.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1029731086014791682
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1029756259996774401

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This made me think that there was a special forum specifically for star citizen elites (you know, the guys who can't be bothered to hang out with the great unwashed masses in the Concierge forum) and now I hope there really is.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Bayonnefrog posted:

The order doesn't really seem to affect the scope of discovery, so Crytek is going to go all out assuming there will be a trial. Even if they're open to talking settlement, since you have to assume (and bill for) the worst.

My guess is that CIG approaches Crytek now that they've gotten a little momentum from the order. Maybe whoever is fronting Crytek's legal bills flinches because the order knocked out a big chunk of potential damages, but probably not because it's so early in the case. It often takes until the actual trial is about to happen that reality sets in and people settle.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:lol::lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Okay, this is just a crosspost from the Frontier forums, but

Fidelity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-S-Gd86360

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

This made me think that there was a special forum specifically for star citizen elites (you know, the guys who can't be bothered to hang out with the great unwashed masses in the Concierge forum) and now I hope there really is.

We know of at least one, the "Playtest" forum which coincidentally was pretty much entirely inhabited by fanatic whales. And was rigorously denied until all the Evocati stuff came to light.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:reddit: posted:

how many of you bought Hunt Showdown? Shame on you.

This is my favorite reddit comment ever, I think.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4e4v9x/clarification_on_secret_ptu_wleverett_cig/?st=jkvod1m2&sh=4b172c25

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wait no i changed my mind lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

This grey market thing is the strangest of their accusations.