Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

what is dead may never die

though we may really want it to

e; quote so it doesn't end on the last page

ThornBrain posted:

Let it drown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It makes a lot more sense for kids to be harassing dmitri than moblins.

Because moblin's are enemies.

You can slay them.

Not kids though. Kids you have to do the bidding of.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So a couple things. First, that house you didn't know the purpose of is where the Moblins move to after you blow up their keep. You can, in fact, blow it up once they've moved in, though they'll repair it after a time. Second, the Fool's Ore is actually a really powerful weapon, you just can't use it against any enemies other than those fire snake things you can dig out of the ground.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that the rapids area right before the Moblin Keep does change depending on your animal friend. What I can't remember then is at what point you get locked into your animal friend for that playthrough in an un-linked game. It seems like it would be in the swamp where you picked up Dimitri, but at that point you haven't met each animal friend and would run the risk of getting locked into one that you didn't want, which would suck.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

C-Euro posted:

I'm pretty sure that the rapids area right before the Moblin Keep does change depending on your animal friend. What I can't remember then is at what point you get locked into your animal friend for that playthrough in an un-linked game. It seems like it would be in the swamp where you picked up Dimitri, but at that point you haven't met each animal friend and would run the risk of getting locked into one that you didn't want, which would suck.

I just looked this up because I couldn't remember, and it's apparently quite early: you'll get Ricky's Flute the first time you meet them (well, when you give back the gloves) if you didn't get one of the others before then. This is just after the second dungeon! You'll still meet the other two animals briefly, but apparently you'll be locked into one long before you'd meet Dmitri or Moosh normally.

This seems a bit weird in comparison when Ages goes out of its way to introduce them all first, even if it still doesn't bother to explain how to choose the one you like.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's really easy to get locked into using ricky unless you do a decent bit of exploring first

not that it matters all that much, the animal companions are very quickly invalidated by gear barring like maybe one or two places they're made to be absolutely necessary

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm not a fan of this chicken.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gah, I understand that this game isn't as important to you as the 3D zelda LPs but it still annoys me to see all the little things you're missing or get wrong, especially considering the linked game stuff.
We already talked about how you can trade rings using the snake secret. We also explained that the kid grows up based on how many dungeons you defeated so he'll never become an adult in an unlinked game.

And now's the third bit, you seem to believe you have to play the entirety of Ages again to use the secrets, while all you need to do is just load your existing save, tell your secret to the person, you get some special item or upgrade there, you take that to Farore in the tree who gives you another secret, which you use in Seasons, and you have the item you just unlocked in the current playthrough of Seasons. It's only like 5 minutes work.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Subrosian ring - best ring.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Carbon dioxide posted:

And now's the third bit, you seem to believe you have to play the entirety of Ages again to use the secrets, while all you need to do is just load your existing save, tell your secret to the person, you get some special item or upgrade there, you take that to Farore in the tree who gives you another secret, which you use in Seasons, and you have the item you just unlocked in the current playthrough of Seasons. It's only like 5 minutes work.

He's going to miss out on the Biggoron Sword and the Bombchuus. :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nice to see what they've taken from Link's Awakening. The Cucoo there was with you much longer, and a lot easier to use. But you could only use it to fly over holes in the ground, nothing else. If there was anything in the way, you couldn't get over it, unlike Season's Cucoo(s). It was basically a Moosh with unlimited range and no stomping ability.

The date with Marin was more engaging imho. There's a lot of stuff she can interact with, and it's often pretty funny. But the only thing she does is waking up the walrus, and then the date is over.

On one hand, Rosa can be taken on several "dates", and there are a lot of doors to be unlocked by her magic key. On the other hand, she has far less to say, the date is much less interesting.

It's a pretty mixed record, and none of the Oracle games can compete with the pretty amazing story of Link's Awakening.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Carbon dioxide posted:

Popped in to say this as well. The Secret rewards are easily the best things about a linked game, and it's too bad you aren't showing them off. You don't need to replay Ages, in fact you aren't meant to. You're pretty explicitly meant to open up your clear save of Ages, give the secret, and then carry it forward to Seasons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's all pre-recorded so we're probably not going to see anything come of talking about it, unfortunately

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Just popping in to say that this was all recorded ages :v: ago and giving advice earlier in the thread isn't really going to result in changes in gameplay later. Sorry. Pretty sure Thorn just set out to have fun and do a semi-casual LP of the games and only linked Seasons when he saw how simple it was at the end of Ages.

That being said, Marin is the better girlfriend for engaging dialogue and late-night pillow chats, but Rosa is better if your idea of a great date is a little breaking and entering (which obviously, mine is).

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Huh, looks like Nintendo has modified the timeline again so that Link's Awakening is now set between A Link to the Past and the Oracle games. Presumably our current Link is now officially a fresh one.
Also they just put Breath of the Wild at the end of all three timeline branches. If we assume that future Zelda games will be set post-BotW, that probably means they realized what a bad idea the whole timeline was in the first place.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Carpator Diei posted:

Huh, looks like Nintendo has modified the timeline again so that Link's Awakening is now set between A Link to the Past and the Oracle games. Presumably our current Link is now officially a fresh one.
Also they just put Breath of the Wild at the end of all three timeline branches. If we assume that future Zelda games will be set post-BotW, that probably means they realized what a bad idea the whole timeline was in the first place.

Huh. So basically they just restored it to how things were way back in the late 90s, when Link to the Past and Link's Awakening Link were the same Link, who supposedly later also went to Holodrum and such. And I blame the timeline on the fanbase, trying to make everything fit "perfectly" and all of it having to be the same universe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SorataYuy posted:

Huh. So basically they just restored it to how things were way back in the late 90s, when Link to the Past and Link's Awakening Link were the same Link, who supposedly later also went to Holodrum and such. And I blame the timeline on the fanbase, trying to make everything fit "perfectly" and all of it having to be the same universe.

I didn't know it was anything else.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought Ages/Seasons was in between LttP and Link's Awakening independently of Nintendo saying so up to now, mainly because of Blaino.

You get the ring from the sign-loving Subrosian when you break 100 signs. They're not cruel enough to make it 1000 signs.

The Blue Joy Ring is good, but the Gold Joy Ring is better. It's well hidden in Ages but oh-so-worth it- it doubles the value of every item you pick up. Hearts, Rupees, Ore Chunks, bombs, seeds (except ones that you hit off trees)... you name it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Not quite as metal as Snake's Remains.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You can actually slash the claw of that crab off. At that point the crab is pretty much helpless as you shoot seeds at it. Also it spawns little crablings, which restore your ammo.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

You can actually slash the claw of that crab off. At that point the crab is pretty much helpless as you shoot seeds at it. Also it spawns little crablings, which restore your ammo.

I actually didn't know you could beat it the way Thorn did, for whatever reason I always thought you had to destroy the claw first. I think that's what all the guides said back in the day.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Shooting seeds past the claw is actually the speedrun method for this boss, because it's movement ai gets significantly more erratic when the claw comes off!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I like the slingshot a bit better than the seed shooter, there's a bit of a delay firing the shooter and ricochet can be helpful but usually keeps you from lobbing another shot quickly. The upgrade is dumb though.

That California joke didn't age well :supaburn:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bellmaker posted:

That California joke didn't age well :supaburn:

Any joke about us being on fire is evergreen.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Always found this dungeon to be pretty tedious and annoying. It's got a LOT of path choices, of which only one is correct, the other will waste your time because you don't have the key needed yet. The path to the boss door you erroneously went to early is just one example.

Also it took me forEVER when I first played this to figure out the "black beast" island thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ThornBrain posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i forgot what item was in this dungeon but now without even clicking i remember, thanks thorn

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

DISCLAIMER: Watching this video may cause permanent ear damage. By watching this video, you agree to the following terms.

quote:

I DO HEREBY AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE STRAWHAT NO INC, MECCAPRIME INDUSTRIES LLC, AND EACH OF THE FOREGOING’S AFFILIATES, SPONSORS, PARTNERS, MEMBERS, SHAREHOLDERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND VOLUNTEERS (HEREINAFTER INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY REFERRED TO AS THE “RELEASEES”)WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, DISABILITY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE TO PERSON, PROPERTY OR REPUTATION RELATING TO MY VIEWING THE TENTH PART OF THE ORACLE OF SEASONS LET'S PLAY AND ALL RELATED ACTIVITIES (INCLUDING POSTING ABOUT IT ON THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS), WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF ONE OR MORE OF THE RELEASEES, THIRD PARTIES, OR OTHERWISE, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MeccaPrime posted:

DISCLAIMER: Watching this video may cause permanent ear damage. By watching this video, you agree to the following terms.

WHAT?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know why but things along the lines of 'find these weird versions of monsters/whatever across the map and destroy/capture/etc. them' always seem to entertain me

also the magnetic gloves are great because they're about as close as the game gets to a 'puzzle item' and are a lot more interesting than the cane of somaria. the gimmick is only used in a few places but they manage to throw in a couple of neat little things to do with it along with giving it some occasional combat usage.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The menu text for the gems you picked up this video is pretty good when you put together that they're playstation buttons. Does that come up in future videos or am I allowed to spoil it?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Magnetic monopoles ahoy! It makes no bloody sense but it's still a really cool mechanic, and a fun item to use, so I guess I can forgive it.

I think we've finally hit the point the dungeons in this game start being less... boring, but you guys are definitely onto something that this game's dungeon designs are more lacklustre than Ages'. It doesn't help that the dungeon items are sort of a step behind the ones in Ages (notice how we got the Seed Satchel for free in Ages but it was the first dungeon item in Seasons, and Seasons still hasn't caught up: every item is a counterpart to Ages' item from one dungeon earlier), I can't help wondering if that's related.

That said, the next couple of dungeons are a big improvement.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Magnetic Gloves are my favorite item in both games. Pity about the sound, they're so freakin' fun to use, the dungeon had multiple ways to use them and there'll beEEEEEEEEE more later

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the item upgrades in seasons are also waaaaaaaaaay better which is a way it definitely wins out in

the power glove and long hook in ages are just glorified puzzle solving upgrades. of course, we haven't run into the ones in seasons yet, but they're outright more fun for multiple reasons.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Power Glove isn't even a puzzle item, just a "hey you can lift blue coffins that only appear in a few areas now" item.

The cool thing about the Magnetic Gloves is that they're a puzzle item, a combat item, and an item that helps navigation all in one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Best part about the gloves is spamming the button while you're just walking around, to make noise, like spamming the mirror in the Light World in LttP or spamming the "HI IM DAISY" button in Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The Magnetic Gloves are honestly a strong contender for my "coolest Zelda item" award. Doesn't matter how useful or practical they are, but they're stylish as hell

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The A Link to the Past randomizer has a retro mode that makes small keys work in any dungeon. You can even buy them.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to include the Magical Key from the penultimate dungeon of the original Zelda, which just gave you infinite keys.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 16, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Carpator Diei posted:

The A Link to the Past randomizer has a retro mode that makes small keys work in any dungeon. You can even buy them.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to include the Magical Key from the penultimate dungeon of the original Zelda, which just gave you infinite keys.
It also makes you pay Rupees for arrows fired, and a single Silver Arrow is very expensive. Also one random house or cave becomes an "old man gives you a sword" cave. One seed I saw that in the Dark World shooting gallery. I don't recommend doing a retro randomizer.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We all need a maze in our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The sweet Tarm Ruins music is stuck in my head now and I haven't even clicked yet