Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Whatever generates your mass effect field."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

am i misremembering or doesn't the original game in the series quite literally have a text crawl about how element zero made space wizards and faster than light travel possible, through the use of dot dot dot

MASS EFFECT (logo + music sting)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
yeah but that sucks, not like my idea which is good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mass effect phenomenon is about as scientifically sound as minovsky physics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cowcaster posted:

am i misremembering or doesn't the original game in the series quite literally have a text crawl about how element zero made space wizards and faster than light travel possible, through the use of dot dot dot

And the idea the ME2 lead writer had been building towards is that use of Mass Effect technology is somehow killing the stars in the galaxy, prompting weird poo poo like the sun in Tali's recruitment mission, and that the reason for the Reaper harvests is to upload the best minds of the harvested races into Reapers where they all work together in dark space to try to fix things. Your choice in ME3 would have been to let humanity be harvested to get to work helping solve that, or destroy the Reapers and take the chance that the organic civilizations can do it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What they should've done with War Readiness is use it as an ending route. The Crucible's a bust, but everyone's united and holding their own against the Reapers. Let's do this the hard way and just shoot them all. :black101:.

Downer endings are fine but they need to make sense thematically or be set up in some way. If not then there better be a good reason you're going for that sudden shock and I don't think there was one.

Like if ME1 ended with massive sacrifice then it'd make more sense that they need to kill loving everyone

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cowcaster posted:

Pretty much. And to be perfectly fair, it's a pretty good bit of technobabble for why ships are so fast/can travel at FTL; All it actually does is reduce the mass of the object in the generated field (hence 'Mass Effect'). That might not seem all that important at face value, but let's do a little math here.

Acceleration equals Force divided by Mass. So if we shove a 100kg block with 1000 Newtons of force, it will travel at 10m/s squared.

But what if we tweaked that block a little?

Let's try applying the same 1000 Newtons of force to the same 100kg block suspended in a Mass Effect field so it only weighs 1kg. This time it's accelerating just a wee bit faster at 1,000m/s squared. Incidentally it's also why the Kodiak shuttles are considered deathtraps; If the Mass Effect field generator fails, the thrusters can't keep the ship's full weight airborne and it flies like a brick.

corn in the bible posted:

Downer endings are fine but they need to make sense thematically or be set up in some way. If not then there better be a good reason you're going for that sudden shock and I don't think there was one.

Like if ME1 ended with massive sacrifice then it'd make more sense that they need to kill loving everyone

I didn't say "downer ending where everyone dies", I said "gently caress the Crucible, we'll kick their loving asses ourselves".

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Clawtopsy posted:

you want to be rewarded for your efforts?

wow loving entitled much???

I know, right? loving children. :v:

Clawtopsy posted:

While this is true, the other moment of narrative consistency throughout the games was Shepherd being told something is impossible, and doing it anyway.

And eventually... she can't, just like they told her at the beginning.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For me, Shepard's death is about the only part of ME3's ending that sits well with me. The mood of the whole game leading up to it (exception: Citadel DLC) is so oppressively gloomy and Shepard getting so weary and beaten down that you know Shepard isn't walking away from this one alive and you get the feeling Shepard knows it, too - and she might even be looking forward to it at this point.

The combined might of the galaxy being impressively retarded in the Battle To End All Battles, some very rote gameplay against the enemies you've been fighting since the tutorial in yet another black and grey bombed out ruin with soft blue lighting, and a wannabe artsy prestige 'writer' having given the editors all slam-bang blowjobs so they could vomit all that spunk over the last five minutes of the game, I could do without.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I also feel really strongly that demolishing the setting sucks, whether by nuking the relays or by introducing global dark matter warming to make them unsustainable. It feels like the most cack handed way to reach for poignancy.

Particularly when combined with cheap 'childhood's end' intimations that make it seem like it should fit while still seeming totally off.

The protheans didn't trash reaper technology. They improved upon it to build the conduit and give the reapers a big ol sucker punch. That is the message of the setting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cythereal posted:

For me, Shepard's death is about the only part of ME3's ending that sits well with me. The mood of the whole game leading up to it (exception: Citadel DLC) is so oppressively gloomy and Shepard getting so weary and beaten down that you know Shepard isn't walking away from this one alive and you get the feeling Shepard knows it, too - and she might even be looking forward to it at this point.

The combined might of the galaxy being impressively retarded in the Battle To End All Battles, some very rote gameplay against the enemies you've been fighting since the tutorial in yet another black and grey bombed out ruin with soft blue lighting, and a wannabe artsy prestige 'writer' having given the editors all slam-bang blowjobs so they could vomit all that spunk over the last five minutes of the game, I could do without.

"Just let it die" applies to a lot of things both within and without the Mass Effect Universe.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Anyway the real hackjob thing in me3 is Dead Ghost Child

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anyway the real hackjob thing in me3 is Dead Ghost Child

He would have been tolerable, I think, if you'd been able to talk him to death. Give the player much more freedom than the conversation with the Illusive Man, have Shepard talk to the controlling intelligence of the Reapers and convince it that it's wrong.

As it is, the only way you can even hint at disagreeing with him is the Refusal ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Ghost Child should have been Jenkins

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

He would have been tolerable, I think, if you'd been able to talk him to death. Give the player much more freedom than the conversation with the Illusive Man, have Shepard talk to the controlling intelligence of the Reapers and convince it that it's wrong.

As it is, the only way you can even hint at disagreeing with him is the Refusal ending.

I don't just mean the ending appearance but the entire thing is lazy and stupid

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Space Bieber should have just been like "lol, stupid libtard cuck, you thought reaper tech and space-love would save you but you're just a dumb husk now, Sheppy. Welp, on to the next cycle, I guess..."

RBA Starblade posted:

Dead Ghost Child should have been Jenkins

Also this.

Cythereal posted:

I don't just mean the ending appearance but the entire thing is lazy and stupid

Honestly, they should have just run with Indoctrination Theory and pretended like it was their intention all along. Too bad they did the opposite of that because some rear end in a top hat ten-year-old happened to write a letter. :shrug:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The real answer would be to re-write the entirety of ME3 so that's out. I mean, the game loving starts with a deus ex machina mcguffin. It's the loving laziest thing.

If I were legitimately rewriting it with a focus on somehow defeating the reapers, it would probably be centered on finding some way to remove / stop the reaper's powers of indoctrination. Without that, the Reapers are powerful, sure, but they could be stopped and sabotaged.

As for their goals, do a Freespace / Freespace 2 and keep it a loving mystery. The Shivans don't make any sense to you, they never will. You don't win at the end of Freespace 2 - you basically are lucky to get away. It's great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I suppose I should play Mass Effect 3 and finish it at some point considering I really liked ME1/ME2 but the ending is really daunting. Should I even play it?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

jokes posted:

I suppose I should play Mass Effect 3 and finish it at some point considering I really liked ME1/ME2 but the ending is really daunting. Should I even play it?

There are parts of ME3 that are legitimately great, but they happen in the middle. The opening act and the stuff leading into the endgame are total poo poo. Like, be prepared to loving slog through a bunch of poo poo you're going to hate to get to the good stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ashpanash posted:

The real answer would be to re-write the entirety of ME3 so that's out. I mean, the game loving starts with a deus ex machina mcguffin. It's the loving laziest thing.

If I were legitimately rewriting it with a focus on somehow defeating the reapers, it would probably be centered on finding some way to remove / stop the reaper's powers of indoctrination. Without that, the Reapers are powerful, sure, but they could be stopped and sabotaged.

As for their goals, do a Freespace / Freespace 2 and keep it a loving mystery. The Shivans don't make any sense to you, they never will. You don't win at the end of Freespace 2 - you basically are lucky to get away. It's great.

Literally steal from star trek and have them send the command "sleep" back through the indoctrination signal. Bam, reapers defeated for now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Absolutely the funniest part about the final mission in Mass Effect 3 is that after you have half of your emotional goodbyes with your squadmates you have to man a turret and gun down like ten husks before you can do the other half

hey remember turrets in Mass Effect 3, what the gently caress

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jokes posted:

Yeah

The game is fun to play throughout (best gameplay of the series imo, but few seem to agree with me on this). The ending is awful garbage but some of the story beats are ok, even good. It’s worth playing, despite the truly terrible ending

E: ok the turrets are bad but everything else is fun

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jokes posted:

I'd recommend it.

It's overall more good than poo poo, and the extended cut ending...

I know this isn't a universal opinion, but I think that, if they'd launched with that, people wouldn't have minded much. It's not good, but it's good enough to coast on people's general goodwill. Most people I've heard responding to the extended cut first tend to not get what the big deal was.

Just as a warning, though, the opening's pretty weak.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

jokes posted:

Tough call: gameplay is similar to 2, but lacks a lot of what made 2 really fun for me: the enemies/powers in 3 felt stale...every set piece I remember was just a horde mode assault.

Everybody rails about how good Citadel DLC is, but I didn't do that so I missed the best part? Also, the Prothean team-member is locked behind a zero-day paywall and you couldn't get the "best" ending without doing the MP, which wasn't as fun when it was forced down your throat.

If you're willing to break with reality, you can make this your head-canon and the story is actually pretty good: https://youtu.be/ythY_GkEBck

Alright, see y'all for the same talk next year. :wave:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I know this isn't a universal opinion, but I think that, if they'd launched with that, people wouldn't have minded much. It's not good, but it's good enough to coast on people's general goodwill. Most people I've heard responding to the extended cut first tend to not get what the big deal was.

I agree. If 'extended cut' had been the actual ending that the game delivered then a lot of the furor would never have happen. Most people would just have shrugged, said 'eh.' and moved on. There would be a few people who absolutely hate it and who absolutely love it constantly fighting about it, but for the most part, it's just mediocre enough to not be complete dogshit.

That's the really sad thing, that's all they had to do. They would have suffered none of their issues with the community and would never have been saddled with the 'artistic integrity' nonsense if they just bothered to make their ending incredibly mediocre and underwhelming instead of an insult.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At some point they patched it so that you can get the best ending without touching multiplayer (which is actually very good anyway). And then after that they released a bunch of story dlc which lets you blow the war score even further out of the water

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ainsley McTree posted:

At some point they patched it so that you can get the best ending without touching multiplayer (which is actually very good anyway). And then after that they released a bunch of story dlc which lets you blow the war score even further out of the water

Which is hilarious if you did play the multiplayer. Especially because your promoted characters were apparently maintained cross-platform even if your actual multiplayer inventory wasn't. My first character on PC (after I sold my 360) could have gotten the best ending as soon as Hackett started building the thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Which is hilarious if you did play the multiplayer. Especially because your promoted characters were apparently maintained cross-platform even if your actual multiplayer inventory wasn't. My first character on PC (after I sold my 360) could have gotten the best ending as soon as Hackett started building the thing.

That's where I'm at. I just finished ME3 last night, and I had enough of the multiplayer asset to not worry about war assets at all.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd recommend it.

I agree with this, ME3's chief problems are in the first and last ten to fifteen minutes. The bulk of the game is pretty drat solid, imo. There are issues - I think the quest log leaves much to be desired - but the combat is the best shooter game I've ever played, and ME3 is one of the very few games where I regularly play it on the hardest difficulty because I find it genuinely fun. There's tons of quality of life improvements (tip: when doing Citadel sidequests, just pop up the map and it will tell you who and what on that floor is available to interact with), Tuchanka and Rannoch are fun and surprisingly reactive to story choices throughout the series, and almost all of the side missions are a lot of fun.

On the whole, ME3 is flawed but good in my opinion. You'll notice the flaws, especially at the beginning and end of the game, but you'll probably also have a lot of fun. Citadel and Leviathan are also among my favorite DLCs for a game - Citadel is hilarious and great for character stuff (and the arena has a habit of eating far more of my time than I expect), and Leviathan has terrific atmosphere even if the big reveal at the end is a little weak.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh, and the ninja-guy should have been a cyborged Jacob, really missed an opportunity to make an interesting antagonist there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh, and the ninja-guy should have been a cyborged Jacob, really missed an opportunity to make an interesting antagonist there.

...I'm not sure these two things go together.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kurieg posted:

Based on the points they were worth too like each engineer was worth one fleet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
actually wait, the funniest thing about Mass Effect 3 is that prior to its release people were seriously discussing Mass Effect as the next Star Wars, the kind of established extended universe that goes mainstream and gets movies and TV shows and makes the company what owns it millions of dollars a year forever as everything good about it is ground into paste

which, lol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I just beat the game last night and had already forgotten about Kai Leng.

And the most interesting thing Bioware could find for Jacob to do was cheat on you if you romanced him in ME2. Congratulations on romancing the one black person you can boink! He cheats on you and gets the other woman pregnant! And his dad's a rapist!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cythereal posted:

I just beat the game last night and had already forgotten about Kai Leng.

And the most interesting thing Bioware could find for Jacob to do was cheat on you if you romanced him in ME2. Congratulations on romancing the one black person you can boink! He cheats on you and gets the other woman pregnant! And his dad's a rapist!

:lol::hf::perfect:

Pattonesque posted:

actually wait, the funniest thing about Mass Effect 3 is that prior to its release people were seriously discussing Mass Effect as the next Star Wars, the kind of established extended universe that goes mainstream and gets movies and TV shows and makes the company what owns it millions of dollars a year forever as everything good about it is ground into paste

which, lol

It's the :bsg: of gaming: top marks for world-building and characters, but the story is so bad and the ending so absurd that it nearly ruins all of the foundations they laid out. If they just done what they did for ME2, make 16 endings with all of the variations from Fail-Shep to Perfect Ending, and let people finish it however they wanted...kind of like their advertising promised...it would have been fine.
:corsair:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd recommend it.

same. it has issues, opening/ideas of the ending. but it has some great moments mostly being tutchunka and such. that always said, i always went with max destroy and shep alive ending so he can live with his alien 20 something immune suppressed bride in a space rancher.

It's the :bsg: of gaming: top marks for world-building and characters, but the story is so bad and the ending so absurd that it nearly ruins all of the foundations they laid out. If they just done what they did for ME2, make 16 endings with all of the variations from Fail-Shep to Perfect Ending, and let people finish it however they wanted...kind of like their advertising promised...it would have been fine.

yeah story is meh, but the backround/world building and characters are great. still feel sad about those seashells.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. it has issues, opening/ideas of the ending. but it has some great moments mostly being tutchunka and such. that always said, i always went with max destroy and shep alive ending so he can live with his alien 20 something immune suppressed bride in a space rancher.

I always go with Control. Really, the only logical next step for Shepard is for her to become the benevolent goddess of the galaxy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

...I'm not sure these two things go together.

the running gag of people calling him jason broke my brain to the point where i genuinely can't remember which one's his real name sometimes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cythereal posted:

I always go with Control. Really, the only logical next step for Shepard is for her to become the benevolent goddess of the galaxy.

That's what Saren said... :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It would have been less damaging, but even what we got wasn't fatal. Andromeda, despite being composed entirely of warning signs, still probably sold 2 million plus copies. (Less than NieR: Automata, but still a decent number. )

That ending was setup. Andromeda was the killshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chiasaur11 posted:

It would have been less damaging, but even what we got wasn't fatal. Andromeda, despite being composed entirely of warning signs, still probably sold 2 million plus copies. (Less than NieR: Automata, but still a decent number. )

That ending was setup. Andromeda was the killshot.

Agree. I also think MEA wouldn't have sold 250k if it didn't have ~MASS EFFECT~ slapped on the front. As a first outing, that would have been an embarrassment, as a fourth installment it literally killed a decade-old franchise that was being discussed at "the next Star Wars." :shrug:

drat guys, I have really strong feelings about this, six years on. :unsmith: