Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hipster Rooster posted:

I like how the Majima’s last substory battle with Jo Amon tested my prowess and knowledge of the fighting system in this game i lied I used five zap guns.

The Thunder God Staff really cleans his clock too.

EDIT: Had the name wrong

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Shinada the character rules and is a delight.

Shinada the playable object is miserable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ugh, i just remembered shinada's fish. that goddamn fish, in a fishing minigame that was incredibly slow and random compared to y0.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speaking of fish, is there really all there is to fishing, throw the hook in front of the fish and just wait?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Speaking of fish, is there really all there is to fishing, throw the hook in front of the fish and just wait?

some fish need premium bait to spawn at all, which will set you back a princely 1000 yen each.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And if you land in a spot with no fish facing the right way, you just recast?

Thats not such a great minigame.

Also I feel dumb as heck for only just now realizing that when a girl calls for help in Cabaret Club, you're not supposed to swap her out, you're supposed to zoom in and offer extra help.

And that you can do the same during check please.

AND I totally whiffed Yuki's disco training because I've never discoed before. There's too many minigames to keep up with!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's better to become a disco master before starting the cabaret club minigame

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Too late for that.

I got hooked in when I opened up the makeover tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

edit:
Better to have average all-rounder girls, or super high specialized girls?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Too late for that.

I got hooked in when I opened up the makeover tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

edit:
Better to have average all-rounder girls, or super high specialized girls?

max out 3 attributes, tank the 4th

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Spikeguy posted:

In Yakuza 6 I'm begging for Kiyru to date someone. I just want him to be happy! At first I wanted him to run off to Taiwan with that girl from Club Shine, and then I wanted him to get with Mama from Hiroshima but I don't know if that one will pan out. Do the Japanese not like a good romance or their protagonists to be in relationships? I just want a Geralt/Yennifer thing to happen.

Kiryu loved Yumi, Yumi died. He sorta made things work in Yakuza 2 with Kaoru, but well you can't be a yakuza man, dating a police detective needed worldwide for long. He never really moves on from that stuff.

Also, I'm 100% okay with most hostess stuff (Even if I think the real-life industry is... incredibly hosed up) but this

This isn't cool

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh boy it gets worse after Dolly? :v:

and I thought Kiryu had the more questionable managers. Probably for this point in the story anyway

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kiryu's just a kinda weird and awkward guy. Like Onmi said, he loved Yumi, and that was pretty much that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was kinda bullshit how 5 revealed he was shacked up with a hostess, except she was actually more like a volunteer housekeeper he let hang around.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I went all-in on this game trying to get all the trophies, it's left a hole that can only be filled by... more Yakuza 0. I'm doing a NG+ now. All drunk, all the time and only wrong answers in substories.

Producer one was good:
Crew guy: Go get the erasable
Kiryu: ... what's the erasable... *grabs chef's knife*
Director: "What is this??"
Kiryu: "This'll erase whoever you need it to"
Crew: "That seems like the answer to a totally different line of work!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

. I'm doing a NG+ now. All drunk, all the time and only wrong answers in substories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5uL2QlNF6k

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Where'd you learn that filth Majima

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Lavender posted:

Where'd you learn that filth Majima
He learned from the best:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:eyepop:

Jesus Yak0 chapter 10. Just when I'm learning to trust that weird looking Tachibana they throw that loving curveball at you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

:eyepop:

Jesus Yak0 chapter 10. Just when I'm learning to trust that weird looking Tachibana they throw that loving curveball at you

Welcome to Yakuza where Kiryu and Majima have had a very long, very lovely life as told over 7 seasons.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm okayish at Space harrier but man my arm starts cramping around stage 2

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Onmi posted:

I'm okayish at Space harrier but man my arm starts cramping around stage 2

How does your arm cramp in a game with auto-fire?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Auto fires just not fast enough.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Davoren posted:

Auto fires just not fast enough.

It really, tremendously isn't. Like you fire so much faster by mashing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like autofire was fine on ps4, at least for the friendship challenges, but on pc it's molasses.

So yeah, hand cramps.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hipster Rooster posted:

I like how the Majima’s last substory battle with Jo Amon tested my prowess and knowledge of the fighting system in this game i lied I used five zap guns.

You should check to see if Jo has any knives on him using Majima's Sense, next time.

Also maybe go nutso with either equips or Limit Breaking.

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

widespread posted:

You should check to see if Jo has any knives on him using Majima's Sense, next time.

Also maybe go nutso with either equips or Limit Breaking.

Amazing.

I checked that equipment and I don't get what the bloody binding is for? If you gonna kill him with a single knife throw, due to thug necklace, and payback ring, what do I care about heat rising slowly?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't do the final substories until I get good at Disco. :saddowns:

So Silver and Bronze Hostesses are permanent benchwarmers? There are enough Plat and Gold hostess to alternate between that you never need the rest.

It's mad that the Granny is the fastest Hostess to reach the level-cap.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 16, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So Silver and Bronze Hostesses are permanent benchwarmers? There are enough Plat and Gold hostess to alternate between that you never need the rest.

Silver Hostesses occasionally have a single exceptional talent that can help round-out your team composition. And by the time you got all the Plat hostesses, the more used Silver might have levelled up enough to keep up.

I know it's a very obvious bunch of screencaps to take, but the comic timing on this sequence is great.

The lack of expression in in-engine cutscenes actually helps the joke land. Also:

Also, this:

Fixed by a reload, thankfully.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 16, 2018

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Erranda is a good Silver hostess but after while you will never use the Bronze ones

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hipster Rooster posted:

Amazing.

I checked that equipment and I don't get what the bloody binding is for? If you gonna kill him with a single knife throw, due to thug necklace, and payback ring, what do I care about heat rising slowly?

It might also be one of those "lower HP you are, higher attack you do" items. I dunno. Definitely need a cross reference on this one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm at like chapter 6 or 7 in Yakuza 6 ("Heiheiza") and while I'm enjoying it, it's not coming close to what I felt in Yakuza 0. A lot of the fun stuff in Y0 just seemed incredible dynamic and off the wall and bursting with energy, tons of explosive poo poo happening at every moment. This game seems more muted, figuratively and literally so far---not many cues for music with side stories or other things you're doing, and the side activities don't seem as plentiful.

I think it also suffers from a weaker cast, since the 3 antagonists in the Dojima clan from Yakuza 0 just felt more fun to play with, alongside Majima's handler/Oda/Tachibana/the crazy knife man. The Hiroshima guys just aren't as interesting and antagonists like the Starshine boss or the successor to the chairman all come off as the same smug personality. Maybe it's just me but when a lot of the plot rolls off Kiryu's shoulders ("I'm retired, I don't care about the Tojo affairs, I don't care about this or that just let me keep rolling") then it doesn't matter a lot to me, either. Maybe that's the point though, to keep throwing all this poo poo at him until Kiryu and the player are effectively fatigued of yakuza life and just want to settle down to play baseball, manage an anti-gang, and drink soda.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you've only played like 0, Kiwami, and 6, I can see 6 feeling weird because it's your only encounter with old family man Kiryu after all the development he gets in 3-5 regarding Haruka and the other kids.

It did feel weird at first how pretty much the entire old cast aside from Haruka and Akiyama are ditched in 6 for the Onomichi gang, but in the end I liked them, and it takes time to make players care about new characters so focusing on them was probably the right decision. If they'd been half-assed about it it would have been worse.

EDIT: I should add that 0 and Kiwami are an anomaly in how closely they're linked. Except for 5 sort of the later games have a lot of completely new antagonists and allies to introduce so they all do this to some extent.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 16, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sometimes the game just provides, Mr. Libido just standing there after Yakuza murdered all these men with a bat.

Except for Mana's substory, I'm all done with Cabaret and spending money buying accessories for the girls. I can't believe they're going to make me wait until the loving post-game to give Majima Kiryu's infinite cash.

Hopefully I'll be better at the Demonfire Counter when I've slept

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 16, 2018

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

So amon is bullshit. 6 sacrifice stones - four of which were used in the same corner when I was stunlocked by all the furniture. 10 zap guns. Countless deaths because of OHKO while stunlocked. All the satisfaction of finally finishing last substory in the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, he's traditionally been an rear end in a top hat for the entire franchise so that reaction is justified.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Onmi posted:

Sometimes the game just provides, Mr. Libido just standing there after Yakuza murdered all these men with a bat.

wait is mr libido like a secret character who appears in cutscenes randomly or something? because i was doing majima's first mission at Odyssey and this old guy in only his underpants was standing next to a booth dancing and i was like wtf

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The White Dragon posted:

wait is mr libido like a secret character who appears in cutscenes randomly or something? because i was doing majima's first mission at Odyssey and this old guy in only his underpants was standing next to a booth dancing and i was like wtf

Nah, that screenshot is a glitch. That Odyssey mission is part of the game, you can only look at three things before the game moves on, and that's there to distract you and cause you to waste a look.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sindai posted:

If you've only played like 0, Kiwami, and 6, I can see 6 feeling weird because it's your only encounter with old family man Kiryu after all the development he gets in 3-5 regarding Haruka and the other kids.

It did feel weird at first how pretty much the entire old cast aside from Haruka and Akiyama are ditched in 6 for the Onomichi gang, but in the end I liked them, and it takes time to make players care about new characters so focusing on them was probably the right decision. If they'd been half-assed about it it would have been worse.

EDIT: I should add that 0 and Kiwami are an anomaly in how closely they're linked. Except for 5 sort of the later games have a lot of completely new antagonists and allies to introduce so they all do this to some extent.

The Hiroshima cast also really grow on you as the plot goes on. Especially Naguma and Hirose, they ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, that screenshot is a glitch. That Odyssey mission is part of the game, you can only look at three things before the game moves on, and that's there to distract you and cause you to waste a look.

There's also an achievement tied to looking at the right things as an extra gently caress you to Platinum-Wanters on PS4