Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a good thing Byrne isn't doing anything at all with the current Marvel 2-in-1 which is what's being asked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I blame renumberings.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Comparing Seven Soldiers, Doom Patrol, Animal Man and The Invisibles, which one is more accessible? I really liked All-Star Superman, WE3, Batman and Robin and New X-Men. But I did not particularly enjoy Arkham Asylumn, Multiversity, Happy! and Flex Mentallo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're all accessible except for maybe the Mister Miracle part of Seven Soldiers. None of them really require much deep knowledge beyond themselves.
Animal Man is the most basic superhero story. It eventually gets broken down meta, but I think it's all simple to grasp.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 14, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah Animal Man for sure, then Doom Patrol. I wouldn’t call DP inaccessible, just weird. The other two are more like the stuff you didn’t like

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

obi_ant posted:

Comparing Seven Soldiers, Doom Patrol, Animal Man and The Invisibles, which one is more accessible? I really liked All-Star Superman, WE3, Batman and Robin and New X-Men. But I did not particularly enjoy Arkham Asylumn, Multiversity, Happy! and Flex Mentallo.

The Filth?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skwirl posted:

The Filth?

Yeah I wouldn't call it accessible but I feel it's the most coherent of his more out there metacontextual works.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been a long time since I read Seven Soldiers but it was when I first started reading comics so I recall not getting a lot of references. You may not care.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's also JLA, which is definitely more accessible than most of his stuff, and includes DC One Million which is great and Earth 2 which is a personal favorite. If you liked All star Superman you'll like that

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

There's also JLA, which is definitely more accessible than most of his stuff, and includes DC One Million which is great and Earth 2 which is a personal favorite. If you liked All star Superman you'll like that

Yeah, I think JLA is the best mainstream thing Morrison did other than All-Star Superman. All-Star Superman is sort of a semi-prequel to DC One Million. Its ending is more or less canon in the future shown in One Million, and Solaris and the future Supermen from the Smallville issue both make their debut there. Also, Batman gets a lot of screen time in JLA, and his characterization as a grumpy foil to the other team members is a lot of fun. If you haven't already read it, I'd suggest his JLA first.

Otherwise, if you enjoyed We3, Animal Man is your best bet. It kind of evokes similar feels. Seven Soldiers isn't inaccessible, but it is mostly pretty boring outside of the Mister Miracle issues, and for some reason, I feel like if you didn't like The Multiversity, you wouldn't like it either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's excessively good, the Hyperclan arc loving slays. However the whole red blue Superman thing happens in the middle of it so suddenly you’re trying to figure that out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check out Animal Man and JLA (anyone know if this is collected in an omnibus?). Usually I’m able to piece together what I’m missing out with YouTube videos and Wikis, but a lot of the metaphysical stuff went above my head. Morrison seems to be hit or miss for me at this point. But I absolutely loved New X-Men, it’s what got me into comic books.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Reread things as you go. I didn’t really care for Morrison at first and he’s my favourite comic writer now. His stuff can be very dense at first, but he revisits a lot of the same themes and builds on them, so a book that makes no sense at first gets better and better the more other books you read.
Multiversity, as an example, is basically a direct sequel to Final Crisis which I didn’t see you mention, and without that context it wouldn’t make much sense. But then of course Final Crisis is led into by Seven Soldiers, which carries over some stuff from JLA, etc etc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

JLA (anyone know if this is collected in an omnibus?)

No omnibus* but four pretty fat collections.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YP1WJG

*other than DC One Million where Morrison plotted out every DC comic for a month to tie into his miniseries set centuries into the future of the DCU. That sits somewhere in the middle of his JLA run.

e: And check out the Joe Kelly volumes after them. Skip Claremont's, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

However the whole red blue Superman thing happens in the middle of it so suddenly you’re trying to figure that out.

Much worse is the ending of the first or second issue of the Rock of Ages arc, where the League and the Injustice Gang both detect something mysterious approaching from outer space then the next issue ignores it and continues the JLA storyline because that cliffhanger had been setting up the now-forgotten John Byrne miniseries Genesis.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
1. Assuming I haven't read an XMen comic since the mid 90's which of XMen Blue/Gold and I guess now Red should I get into?

2. I read through all of Injustice shortly after it finished, and now there's an Injustice 2? How does it compare? Is it worth picking up?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red is good and I think Blue and Gold are ending soon, anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alris posted:

1. Assuming I haven't read an XMen comic since the mid 90's which of XMen Blue/Gold and I guess now Red should I get into?

2. I read through all of Injustice shortly after it finished, and now there's an Injustice 2? How does it compare? Is it worth picking up?

1. Red since the other two are ending very soon.

2. Yes. It's great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uncanny X-Men is starting up again as a temporarily weekly comic, which is probably the thing to jump on (or whatever comes after it.)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

1. Red since the other two are ending very soon.

2. Yes. It's great.

Red's going to continue after UXM comes back? That's cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In addition, Kelly Thompson is going to be writing Uncanny, so that's a must read when it comes back.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Since there’s a comixology sale of Flash titles I wanted to know which are must reada for someone who wants to get into the character (both Barry and Wally’s titles).

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

radlum posted:

Since there’s a comixology sale of Flash titles I wanted to know which are must reada for someone who wants to get into the character (both Barry and Wally’s titles).

I enjoyed The Life Story of the Flash. It's a book that sums up Barry Allen before his return by Mark Waid. They've also collected Mark Waid's run into 4 volumes, I especially like Volume 2. I might be in the minority here, but I really loved Geoff Johns' run on Flash with Wally.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think most people liked Geoff Johns's run on Wally. It has some stuff that's a bit "Johnsian Literalism" in retrospect (Captain COLD was abused by his father, a COLD man, which left him with a COLD heart, and now he wants the rest of the world to be just as COLD as he is; also, the only place he felt secure as a child was his uncle's ICE CREAM TRUCK, because it was COLD) but on the whole I think it's very good, probably one of the best things Johns has written.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Agreed. Johns' Wally Flash run is excellent, especially his treatment of the classic Rogues, who Waid mostly avoided.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Can anyone suggest some old school swords & sorcery comics?

A few examples come to mind. When I was like 11 I had an oversized Conan the Barbarian comic, black & white, and it had a naked chick in it (which is probably why I remember). It seems like a Conan book would be cool but I'd have no idea where to start. I'd like a big overarching story with lots of little adventures and side stuff.

The first handful of Cerebus the Aardvark were really cool, to me. I know it doesn't really reach its stride until it gets all political and super satirical, and he becomes pope or whatever, but I remember him just running around and being an adventurer, that was cool.

I started reading Elfquest and even though it's a little bit goofy with all the elf stuff it kind of reminds me of what I'm looking for. I think I'd prefer fewer characters, maybe even somewhat more mercenary characters, though.

I'm betting there are some good answers, or some good runs that someone might suggest. I'd appreciate it.

I suppose I'm looking for something out of the typical Marvel/DC mythos, but if there's a particular exception (I'm imagining that there are some older books in Marvel, or maybe even Thor runs from the past, which might come close to what I am looking for.)

Thanks!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chinook posted:

A few examples come to mind. When I was like 11 I had an oversized Conan the Barbarian comic, black & white, and it had a naked chick in it (which is probably why I remember). It seems like a Conan book would be cool but I'd have no idea where to start. I'd like a big overarching story with lots of little adventures and side stuff.

The first handful of Cerebus the Aardvark were really cool, to me. I know it doesn't really reach its stride until it gets all political and super satirical, and he becomes pope or whatever, but I remember him just running around and being an adventurer, that was cool.

I started reading Elfquest and even though it's a little bit goofy with all the elf stuff it kind of reminds me of what I'm looking for. I think I'd prefer fewer characters, maybe even somewhat more mercenary characters, though.

I'm betting there are some good answers, or some good runs that someone might suggest. I'd appreciate it.

I suppose I'm looking for something out of the typical Marvel/DC mythos, but if there's a particular exception (I'm imagining that there are some older books in Marvel, or maybe even Thor runs from the past, which might come close to what I am looking for.)

Thanks!
With Conan just read savage sword of conan starting with the first trade along with dark horse conan. It’s the one that is written by busiek. The chronicles of conan are also good

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If it doesn't literally have to be old, DC did a really fun medieval team comic, Demon Knights.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Marvel is about to publish new versions of all the old Conan books so I’d hold out for those next year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I super dug this book.

Slaine: The Horned God https://www.amazon.com/dp/1907519742/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lhTFBbFWM6KM0

It's not a traditional sword and sorcery as it doesn't follow Viking or Tolkien style mythology, but goes into Celtic myths.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Barry Windsor-Smith's Conan is top of the pops, reaching an apex with "Red Nails" (originally published in Savage Tales magazine, it's probably been reprinted at some point?).

Chaykin and Mignola did adaptations of Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories- they're pretty fun, though I'm a big fan of (most of) the original stories so I'm senselessly critical about what was left out, haha.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dunno if it counts but theres an adaptation of the trials of herakles that came out through lion forge a few weeks ago that i enjoyed

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Red Sonja is great, as is the 2014? 2015? Dungeons and Dragons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Marvel is about to publish new versions of all the old Conan books so I’d hold out for those next year.

Dark horse already has in the chronicles of conan and savage sword of conan collections.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I'd expect DH to at least do a digital fire sale on Conan in the next few months.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked what I read of Rat Queens, but the first artist turned out to be a horrible person and then it seemed to have terrible luck with future artists having health problems and stuff.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

10 Beers posted:

Red Sonja is great, as is the 2014? 2015? Dungeons and Dragons.

Skwirl posted:

I liked what I read of Rat Queens, but the first artist turned out to be a horrible person and then it seemed to have terrible luck with future artists having health problems and stuff.

Those are both good but I wouldn't call them "old school fantasy"

They're more Gallavant than Lord of the Rings

Still good, but not exactly what they asked for.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Chinook posted:

Thanks!

Check out the old Warlord by DC comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

And I'd expect DH to at least do a digital fire sale on Conan in the next few months.

They had one like 3 weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll look into all of them.