Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Champion balance seems quite good right now at normal people levels of play. Pro play is always going to home in on 'proven' picks and teamcomps, I don't think there's much of a way around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

we're less than two months out from bot lane fiddlesticks heimerdinger that people super enjoyed and now claim is boring, i dont know that there's ever going to be a level of diversity that you enjoy if you are bored with the current meta already

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

Mundo has fallen off in pro play as ADCs have returned in greater numbers because they can just shred him in a way bot lane mages couldn't. There's also been more ranged champs like Jayce and Kennen who are pretty hard counters. Elise and Zed have both seen pro play in the last 2 weeks as well (Zed popping off and winning, Elise not so much).

Summer 2018 Champion picks:
Tahm Kench: 284
Zed: 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

rabidsquid posted:

we're less than two months out from bot lane fiddlesticks heimerdinger that people super enjoyed and now claim is boring, i dont know that there's ever going to be a level of diversity that you enjoy if you are bored with the current meta already

Every meta is fresh and exciting at the start and after a month everyone's bored of it. Personally I think the current split of pro play has had enough shifting of the meta to remain incredibly fun to watch.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

milkman dad posted:

Tahm Kench is fun when people aren't being cowards with him, and the cowardly Tahm Kench playstyle is getting nerfed into oblivion this patch.

Coincidentally I doubt you'll see Kench in pro play anymore and it'll probably be back to Braum/Ali for tank picks (with an occasional Taric if people feel spicy), Pyke/Morg for roam/pickoff, and whoever the gently caress for a poke support.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"why arent we seeing more zed?" a real thing a real person would say

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

I agree that it's impossible for there to never be a best/most popular group of champs in competitive, but the assertion that it's trivial to solve it is just untrue.

That's fair; "trivially solvable" is too hyperbolic. The main point is that people tend to find consistently strong champion picks and team comps relatively quickly, which disseminates equally quickly throughout the major leagues, and usually sees very little inter-patch variation. S8 saw a significantly larger number of picks due to botlane suddenly feeling like an open book, but even that started to coalesce around Vlad/Swain/Heimerdinger within a few weeks.

milkman dad posted:

When 5 champions make up 40-50% of all competitive picks it says that probably the other champions not being picked can use a buff.

The problem is that a champion being out of the professional meta isn't always a matter of them not being as strong as the other members of their role, but of other meta picks favoring them. Dr. Mundo was ungodly strong for most of the Summer split because of Swain/Vlad/Heimer replacing ADCs, which favored his kit. Zoe has been consistently strong throughout Summer split because Conqueror chased off nearly every single toplane engage tank in the game. Swain/Vlad/Heimerdinger became as popular as they did not only because of the ADC item changes but because of the presence of strong diving champions like Irelia and Yasuo coming back into the meta. It might help out in solo queue, but the actual impact of buffs on increasing a champion's presence in competitive can vary wildly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

kingcobweb posted:

Outdated kits that could use a rework:

Blitz, Udyr, Nasus, Jax, Mundo, Pantheon

Udyr is the one who most desperately needs VGU (because they released Spirit Guard instead), and Blitz needs a gameplay rework the most. He’s Q. That’s it. Maybe Pantheon needs one even more

IMO those are all mostly good iconic kits that work fine and really don't need to be replaced or updated. Granted, you can probably find one or two abilities from each that aren't really that interesting or inspiring (Jax ult, Nasus E) but I don't trust Riot to control themselves once they actually get into updating a kit. It feels like a monkey's paw situation.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

milkman dad posted:

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Timing_(Rune)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

panda clue posted:

I just got doxxed and brigaded by no less than 10 people in the goon league discord for that post. lmfao this thread owns

Sorry for making you upset, Servaetes!

gently caress off you idiot.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

JerryLee posted:

IMO those are all mostly good iconic kits that work fine and really don't need to be replaced or updated. Granted, you can probably find one or two abilities from each that aren't really that interesting or inspiring (Jax ult, Nasus E) but I don't trust Riot to control themselves once they actually get into updating a kit. It feels like a monkey's paw situation.

As someone with a bazillion games on Udyr he really does need a pass over. He only has three skills, and beyond that the only thing relevant about him is his early game base stats/damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Even after Perfect Timing got its big nerf, assassins usually weren't played much in competitive. This is intentional on the part of Riot: assassins are nearly impossible to balance at both the very low end and the very high end, so they balance them with the median in mind. This means that assassins start to taper off in power the further you climb in MMR. Zed's terrifying if you have zero idea how to play against him; once you do, he starts becoming less and less scary until he's just a dude with a combo you can outplay heavily. The only assassins that really see play are ones with either a high amount of utility (LeBlanc) or a braindead easy combo that's nearly impossible to outplay (Talon).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

kingcobweb posted:

Outdated kits that could use a rework:

Jax,

eat poo poo motherfucker.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Early seasons when they didn’t balance every few weeks you’d see pro teams change it up and find new strats that would filter through the pro scene. If they’d just leave a meta alone for a few days it would organically shift but I guess forcing diversity is also a way to do it.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 15, 2018

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

having a patch every 2 weeks and significant item/systems changes every 2-3 patches means there's no real incentive to try to 'beat' the metagame since any progress you make toward that can just become irrelevant overnight.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

How Rude posted:

gently caress off you idiot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Early seasons when they didn’t balance every few weeks you’d see pro teams change it up and find new strats that would filter through the pro scene. If they’d just leave a meta alone for a few days it would organically shift but I guess forcing diversity is also a way to do it.

It's less that they want to force diversity and more that they have a lot of hungry mouths to feed. There's 141 champions in the game, several millions of players with enormous skill disparities between them, and a strong pro scene that are all competing for balance changes that will benefit them the most. Longer patch cycles mean more frustration for people who think their favorite champions are getting ignored or who are miffed because they have to permaban champion X every game because they're godawfully overpowered. I imagine that 1-2 weeks is about the time it takes for them to correlate sufficient data to make solid balancing decisions after a change, so while you theoretically could have longer patches and simply hotfix problematic champions, it would mostly end up with the same outcome.

There's something to be said for smaller patches, too. If there's anything this year has proven, it's that cramming too much into a single patch creates an enormous balancing headache. They're still mucking around with Runes Reforged this late in the year, and I suspect they're going to be mucking around with it more yet.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 15, 2018

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Yeah no thanks

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

having a patch every 2 weeks and significant item/systems changes every 2-3 patches means there's no real incentive to try to 'beat' the metagame since any progress you make toward that can just become irrelevant overnight.

There’s incentive to find the “level zero” strategy that’s just what’s obviously powerful that patch, but no incentive to find the next-level strategy that beats it, because the level zero strategy won’t exist in a month anyway.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SThe6TCcOo

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: Should have just empty-quoted this to begin with.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 15, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Surprised it doesn't have a taunt for Malphite telling him he literally does nothing.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Verviticus posted:

they’re both good games

and can we not talk about it any more please

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

everyone from the dota thread has brain issues and Cannot stop posting about it, sorry

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

"I am become death, destroyer of noobs."

Well looks like I've gotta play Nunubot forever.

E: Holy man Nunubot's lines are just the best loving thing.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Radical posted:

everyone from the dota thread has brain issues and Cannot stop posting about it, sorry

This is correct.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dodging black holes in the highway post goes here

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mikujin posted:

E: Holy man Nunubot's lines are just the best loving thing.

On kill:

Now their tears are fully stacked.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

uguu posted:

Why do you have to pull the drake out of the pit?
Also has anyone here played against masters or challengers? I'm getting diamonds in my aram games and they're way good.

we have had a few people in diamond 1 before, i think warchicken made it into challengers onetricking teemo in a very old season?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

we have had a few people in diamond 1 before, i think warchicken made it into challengers onetricking teemo in a very old season?

Isn't that impossible? He was always flagged for losses :downs:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Isn't that impossible? He was always flagged for losses :downs:

someone i know vehemently argued with me about how in every game you play against someone better than you on the other team. which is a pretty good trick, if both players are better than each other every game has ten people of infinitely spiraling skill.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

uguu posted:

Also has anyone here played against masters or challengers? I'm getting diamonds in my aram games and they're way good.

there was a nasus one trick that made it to masters and there are frequently master/challenger player in my flex games

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

uguu posted:

Yeah, I played in a college league with a good number of masters /challengers players, and have run into them in my flex games occasionally the last few seasons.

I think 1v1ing Masters mid laners in my league games was the most humbling - - when they just show up from a different lane super fed or are just half of a duo it's less clear how much you're loving up than when you're they're punishing you for bad trades and always finding better back timings.

Low to high diamond is more common in my flex games, but a lot of the time people will be offroling/usually about half of the game is mid plat so lane matchups can kind of be poo poo shows. In lane I don't think the difference between high plat and low diamond is that pronounced, but between high play and d1/d2 and up, as well as outside of lane, it's pretty substantial.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I stole baron for qtpie once

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Warchicken was like Diamond 3, I don't think he ever made challenger but I might be wrong. Obviously before he started :sadbrains: posting Methanar was pretty highly ranked for a long time, and did boosting.

Verviticus posted:

there was a nasus one trick that made it to masters and there are frequently master/challenger player in my flex games
Creamy Solider aka Best Cat NA.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There were a lot of goons at least good enough to show up on pro player's streams. Bond was, legitimate for a while, one of the top ezreal players internationally and I think legitimately had top 5 win rate in NA for a long time with his weird double tear build. We also had a pro coach posting here and a long time ago someone who was designing champions.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This one time, back before season 1, I was 5-queueing with goons (Komisar, Dragongem, are the two names I remember, but I remember them being the lower ranked of the group), and my sad pathetic 1100 Elo rear end got matched in lane against Westrice. He, admittedly, was also playing with low-rank friends, but I obviously had some p high allies to end up in the situation.

These people were also nice enough to not get angry at me when I played a tele-smite Yi with them this one time (again, versus multiple 2000+ elo opponents).

And if we're talking goon superstars, can't forget Wriggle :v:. Whose item just supposedly got used in the game again. And the kickstarter guy that we tend not to talk about.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

DNK was a pro player at one time, I believe there was a very short lived goon team back in the Old Days around season one

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

There were a lot of goons at least good enough to show up on pro player's streams. Bond was, legitimate for a while, one of the top ezreal players internationally and I think legitimately had top 5 win rate in NA for a long time with his weird double tear build. We also had a pro coach posting here and a long time ago someone who was designing champions.

You mean double sheen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
holy poo poo one of the events in nexus blitz replaces your summoners with snowballs on a 2s cooldown

whoever lands the most snowballs wins