Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JidCq-Eyq8

The SC devs attempt to play their own game and just constantly gently caress up.

I love how when things go wrong they have to laugh and blame themselves and act like its their fault because otherwise they'd have to admit the game is buggy and no fun.

Why can't I spawn a ship? Oh, must mean my ship is actually still alive, even though I thought it was dead? That'd be a good thing to know for sure. Okay, its on this platform, lemme run over to it.

> en route to the ship, it despawns

Welp guess I should turn right around and go back to the thing I just tried. At least now the ship can spawn.

> getting in the ship on the landing bay, the game glitches and the ship spends around

> ship gets permanently stuck in the other ship's geometry and glitches like crazy

"Can I do /rude ?"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JidCq-Eyq8

The SC devs attempt to play their own game and just constantly gently caress up.

I love how when things go wrong they have to laugh and blame themselves and act like its their fault because otherwise they'd have to admit the game is buggy and no fun.

Why can't I spawn a ship? Oh, must mean my ship is actually still alive, even though I thought it was dead? That'd be a good thing to know for sure. Okay, its on this platform, lemme run over to it.

> en route to the ship, it despawns

Welp guess I should turn right around and go back to the thing I just tried. At least now the ship can spawn.

> getting in the ship on the landing bay, the game glitches and the ship spends around

> ship gets permanently stuck in the other ship's geometry and glitches like crazy

"Can I do /rude ?"

I resent these implications that the game is less than perfect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hahahahaha he has to actually beg to hide the game footage so he can cheat and spawn a ship since the game doesn't work

"Its possible I set too high of expectations"

"right now I can't even get off the station!"

THESE ARE THE DEVELOPERS

"you didn't see it, but he had to take off and fly THROUGH another ship to get out of there!"

Dude. Duuuuuuude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Engine blown off but still works! ~FIDELITY~

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Referencing the bolded sections, because taking both of those into account is why I don't think this will be drawn out. Most crowdfunded games can go on forever because they're ultimately just a handful of people working from wherever they can manage. Chris insists on working from Hollywood in a rented mansion. If he's willing to keep the dream alive from some guy's couch, sure, it could lurch on forever. But CIG as we know it today is simply unsustainable.

Yeah it's a good point that most other crowdfunded projects are done by small and frugal indie studios, with one office is some cheap area. Though, I could see Chris slowly distancing himself from the project and letting it wind down to its inevitable conclusion, from the comfort of his mansion which is funded by the millions in salary that he and Sandi have accumulated.

But whatever happens, I'm sure this mess will offer much more entertainment to come.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tsar Mikey posted:

Chris Roberts was the spark in a hot, rotting dumpster full of trash ideas.

:kiss:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Engine blown off but still works! ~FIDELITY~

LOL! Where is that fidelicious damage model, with ships divided into hundreds of individual destructible modules with unique functions? Their recent videos have only shown some system where if your hull reaches X% of damage than some grate in a corridor will start emitting fire. I always love how their promises of unprecedented fidelity lead to some poorly implemented version of something that's been done in a hundred other games.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 16, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

None of those have their own unique artist print number and none are dedicated to me. I'm THE Jobbo_Fett. I once trolled Lowtax into thinking there was an entire sub-reddit devoted to everything Lowtax. I DESERVE a ship of my own, apart from all the other dumb nerds here! :rant:

You DESERVE nothing, and I swear by Chris you will get ALL you deserve.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Right now the current standing on the Crytek lawsuit is being viewed as a small victory internally. Obviously its not great but it could have been so much worse. Most of the resources and effort is now focused on sq42. There is a game there and it looks fantastic ......but its about as much fun as having root canal surgery and it plays like poo poo. 2020 is the new internal deadline and if it gets missed then even Chris has conceded that its all over. I have no doubt that various internet warlords will say this is horse poo poo and CIG have a matter of days left and all the money is gone and everyone's going to prison etc but the fact is , something is getting released come hell or high water and it will be spectacularly rubbish.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

EightAce posted:

Right now the current standing on the Crytek lawsuit is being viewed as a small victory internally. Obviously its not great but it could have been so much worse. Most of the resources and effort is now focused on sq42. There is a game there and it looks fantastic ......but its about as much fun as having root canal surgery and it plays like poo poo. 2020 is the new internal deadline and if it gets missed then even Chris has conceded that its all over. I have no doubt that various internet warlords will say this is horse poo poo and CIG have a matter of days left and all the money is gone and everyone's going to prison etc but the fact is , something is getting released come hell or high water and it will be spectacularly rubbish.

Yes... Ha ha ha... YES!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

EightAce posted:

Yes, but no matter what it is it will be the best game ever made, and see it came out, gently caress you haters. 100/10

(Seriously though, that's pretty much the conclusion I was expecting.)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

:munch:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

EightAce posted:

If they manage to release it in 2020, it will be interesting to see if anyone still cares by then, but I'm sure the commandos will all come out the wood work to praise it and go on a months long victory lap, even if its utterly terrible.

Does anyone at CIG still think SQ42 sales are going to bring in any significant amount of income?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

And thread is poo poo again.

Just like Chris funding ……

https://imgur.com/bN0lt06

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I resent these implications that the game is less than perfect.

No, that's exactly like the game in Chris head. (Coke does that to you)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

I find this plausible, EightAce... Chris certainly has enjoyed one of gaming history's greatest lucky streaks, and however overdue he is for a comeuppance, he’s proven pretty deft at avoiding the big ones. So I can believe it — but I am not an internet Warlord.

It does seem like monetizing Squadron is going to be very tricky, at least until the Crytek business is dealt with and only if under agreeable terms... But I am not an internet lawyer.

It also seems like a flight model in flux and submental FPS AI in year six means they’ve a gargantuan distance to close before Squadron can even call itself a game let alone a title worthy of all the time, expense.and prestige of its huge Hollywood cast... But I am not a game developer.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

But I am not a game developer.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny Nox posted:

You DESERVE nothing, and I swear by Chris you will get ALL you deserve.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Large sums of money? I would happily accept only a modest paycheck to continue laughing at and rooting against SC.

haha what

Shitizen logic is baffling as hell

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

It also seems like a flight model in flux and submental FPS AI in year six means they’ve a gargantuan distance to close before Squadron can even call itself a game let alone a title worthy of all the time, expense.and prestige of its huge Hollywood cast... But I am not a game developer.

CR talks a lot of bullshit regarding SC's all encompassing human-like "AI". Which we've never seen in action before. NPC AI are a series of scripts. In its simplest terms - like a deck of cards, the more cards in the deck, the more actions the NPC can perform. AI's also need to read the current state of the game, weather, player character health, flags, versus their deck and act accordingly. They're not "human"; they're part of the engine code.

Each card may have attributes defined to them. Like the Kythera AI. (In case everyone forgot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_d8UA3jbt0

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So has the court delivered any laughs? I'm dozens of pages behind.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

So has the court delivered any laughs? I'm dozens of pages behind.

CrytekCry-rekt was laughed out of space court so now Star Citizen is forever good

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh no, groupthink AND communist, whatever shall we dooo :allears:

Calling someone you dislike a communist is such a hilariously dated insult, as befits an American stuck in the 1980's just like Chris Roberts :troll:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, calling it right now, nothing is coming out in 2020. They can make all the loving plans they want, CR can make whatever bullshit promises he likes, whether internally within the studios or externally, but in the end he will do what he's always done (refactor and keep the money train going from the cultists with BS promises). If I'm reading this right, Cry-rekt hosed up their part of the lawsuit, so barring any legal action this poo poo ends only when the money (and human stupidity) dries out and no sooner than that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Beet Wagon posted:

This is my favorite reddit comment ever, I think.

Oh no, I run the SA OP :sadwave:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I'm starting to regret dropping my international law studies. Lawyer for Cig must be a space-blast.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, calling it right now, nothing is coming out in 2020. They can make all the loving plans they want, CR can make whatever bullshit promises he likes, whether internally within the studios or externally, but in the end he will do what he's always done (refactor and keep the money train going from the cultists with BS promises). If I'm reading this right, Cry-rekt hosed up their part of the lawsuit, so barring any legal action this poo poo ends only when the money (and human stupidity) dries out and no sooner than that.

Yeah even if Chris thinks 2020 is their last chance I'm sure he'd take another chance afterwards if he could hand wave it away. Honestly though that's a long time spent not producing a game and having people increasingly making GBS threads on you for your increasingly money-grubbing measures.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

Vertisce must be in the top 5 too, for not posting.

I'm a big fan of putting CliffordakaMiku in the top 10, at least. We should help him examine how to properly ventilate his JPEGs :mmmhmm:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I called a 2020 release date years ago, I am the true warlord

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Skadden: How's it going with that MTD ruling response Arps?

Arps: *quickly minimizes window on computer screen* Ahh..... good......good - we have a good shot at invoking the other clause as the basis for....

Skadden: What was that?

Arps: .....What was what?

Skadden: On your computer screen, what was that?

Arps: Oh nothing, just some research.

Skadden: *Takes mouse and opens window* ......Researching the price of spaceships?

Arps: Look Skadden, this game... this game is going to be the best drat space sim ever. Do you know that they'll have a fully procedural cocktail crafting system?! People from all over the 'verse will come and hang out in my spaceship to get a taste of the cocktails I've made! Look at this crater, you can fit like three Skyrims in there!

Skadden: *Smiling, he puts his hand on Arps's shoulder* I know Arps. I know. I bought an Idris yesterday.

Arps: Wow, does it come with LTI?

Skadden: New money baby!

*They both fist bump*

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 16, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wise Learned Man posted:

And then Derek gets the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Half of the morons still backing this thing would probably faint if that happened.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

Half of the morons still backing this thing would probably faint if that happened.

So would Derek, if you've seen what he tweets that isn't related to SC

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

This made me think that there was a special forum specifically for star citizen elites (you know, the guys who can't be bothered to hang out with the great unwashed masses in the Concierge forum) and now I hope there really is.

It would just be Clifford, all by himself

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I think it's long beyond time that we had a good old reminder to "Quote the poo poo" out of something.

A blast from the 2016 past.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PrimeNerd posted:

Do I spy, with my eye, a CryEngine logo? :gary:

It does look like a CryEngine logo, indeed.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I hope that through more humor and less taking ourselves seriously we can bridge the gap between the Star Citizen joke havers and have-nots.

The difference being that the havers have their money and no game, while the have-nots have lost their money and still have no game?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

7 lunatic forum bans, the whole community and company making the game want absolutely gently caress all to do with me but I sent obsessive emails defending Sandi and got no reply, I mean what the gently caress is up with that?

“Play with meeeeeeeeee”

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

aha, humanevil always makes me laugh because besides having terrible tweets, his "evil" shtick is so childish. So it's not surprising to see him also choose a Punisher av. I'll bet $100 that when he has to choose a username that isn't humanevil, his first thought is variations on lonewolf.

I bet he knows a lot about guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

I believe it was under $10 million. CIG can't swing any more than that, because as a company, they're actually deep in the red. Their debt/asset ratio is something like 30:1.

link?