Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Xenocides posted:

One night in Bangkok makes the poor man poorer
Not much keeping him from being on the street.

How straightforward the game
When one has trust in one's player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Phanatic posted:

Pretty sure being from Greece, a place where historically-significant and culturally-important sculpture abounds, and choosing to instead study that subject in England is BWM.

are you sure? she wants to live like common people. she wants to do whatever common people do.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

crazypeltast52 posted:

The brits stole a non-trivial amount from many cultures, including the friezes at the top of the Parthenon.

Yep. I went to the British Museum a few months ago and their antiquities collection was amazing. Also, depressing knowing how it all got there

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Yep. I went to the British Museum a few months ago and their antiquities collection was amazing. Also, depressing knowing how it all got there

Same. The British museum is probably my favorite destination of all time and there's a little ambivalence every time I visit. But then I remember that the entire modern world is laid on the foundations of some form of exploitation.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Killmonger, right, etc etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

metallicaeg posted:

the immensely insufferable eat faster

!

Let's make one thing abundantly clear

EAT FASTER is bad advice, but he has good advice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

potatoducks posted:

A BMW 7 series is a better car than a Camry. Totally understandable and great.

spoken like a man who has never owned a BMW

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The car you like is actually bad.

Subnote: NEVER go to the car subforum, it is the most depressing place on this entire dead website. Here's a fun quote from today, with bonus CryptoCurrency BWM

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I know a guy who was still dumping thousands into BTC at like 9,000 then 8,000 and so forth. All the while he’s been saying things like, “if you’re scared of a little price dip, this isn’t the market for you.”

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

spoken like a man who has never owned a BMW

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about cars, so I don't really understand the joke.

I do own the Camry though!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

potatoducks posted:

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about cars, so I don't really understand the joke.

I do own the Camry though!

they break, like, all the loving time, and when they do it's expensive

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they break, like, all the loving time, and when they do it's expensive

I feel like the least BWM luxury cars are probably Lexus or Acura, but I've never owned one so maybe I'm making too many assumptions about their Toyota/Honda heritage.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like the least BWM luxury cars are probably Lexus or Acura, but I've never owned one so maybe I'm making too many assumptions about their Toyota/Honda heritage.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Take with a grain of salt, but Acura is pretty bad in comparison to other brands. Lexus is second only to Toyota, and Audi and BMW aren't far behind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The problem with Consumer Reports is that they don't consider the severity of a failure. For example, I have far less of a problem with a window switch not working than the engine deciding it needs another hole, but Consumer Reports doesn't account for that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dr. Eldarion posted:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Take with a grain of salt, but Acura is pretty bad in comparison to other brands. Lexus is second only to Toyota, and Audi and BMW aren't far behind.

#5, BMW. Most reliable model - 2 Series :getin:

Also if this isn't literally you then you shouldn't even be reading about luxury cars

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Annual depreciation on a new M2 Competition shouldn't be much more than the above Rolex question, so if you're making a luxury purchase to show off for assholes, the watch is a bargain!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have ReachNow and pay less to drive BMWs than most people pay for insurance on one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ReachNow seems like an awesome service. I especially like that they were competing at the exact same price point as Car2Go.

Decisions, decisions

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BMW model numbers seem to be tailor-made to impress rich assholes and no one else. A previous boss bragged he had flown to Germany to buy his 530i (or whatever it was), and I'm like, ok? Should that number mean something to me?

Of course, the answer is yes, it should mean that he spent more on that car than he pays me in a year and he wants me to know it.

And then 2 months later the car is having issues and he's now complaining about the useless dealership, because the BMW being a finely tuned driving machine apparently just means it breaks all the time and is a huge pain to fix.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 16, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The redneck auto shop teacher I had called them "BMTroubleYous"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
BMW in the BWM thread is loving me up and making me have to reread everything twice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GWM? with BMW is to not buy it and never buy used.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GWM with BMW is to have bought an E30 15 years ago and sell it now for 3x what you paid for it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[scribbling furiously in note pad] Buy low... sell.... High???

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm from Colorado, we're experts on that last part :cool:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GWM: buying an old BMW, doing all the preventative maintenance it needs, and enjoying driving the hell out of it.

The key here is doing all the wrenching yourself, and buying a common model so aftermarket parts are inexpensive and readily available for the common failure points.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Yeah, I think it was a masters in English or Creative Writing or something along those lines. The job is for a large university so after mandatory retirement contributions, SALT, and insurance costs I'm assuming I guess he's not left with much. I think the gross was 27k-ish a year for the salary?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I keep reading BMW as BWM and have no issue with it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I keep reading BMW as BWM and have no issue with it

:same:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Could someone with some good soft skills in communication please explain to me why it is that humanities degree possessors are getting compensated worse than their STEM equivalents?

I mean, they should be able to use their soft skills to persuade employers to give them a job better, and also to negotiate better pay, right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Could someone with some good soft skills in communication please explain to me why it is that humanities degree possessors are getting compensated worse than their STEM equivalents?

I mean, they should be able to use their soft skills to persuade employers to give them a job better, and also to negotiate better pay, right?

Is an MBA or financial management related stuff a STEM degree

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FAUXTON posted:

No.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

FAUXTON posted:

no

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
No, but it is also not a humanities degree which is what that post and the prior discussion was referencing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

high-paying STEM jobs (so, like, not a cancer researcher at a public university) are creating products that directly contribute to corporate profit

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, for one thing there are typically more humanities degrees awarded, so even if you think they are 'better' at soft skills there is the simple matter of there being more of them available to dilute the market. This is changing though, as the idea permeates that humanities degrees are expensive and don't have the return that an engineering or science degree may have.

The other thing (I am guessing) is that actually getting a job is about 95% networking. Most STEM programs are often more work or industry oriented, and it's pretty typical for an engineering college to have relationships with surrounding companies to specifically place coops or interns. Even if they don't, there is a strong drive for students to do some sort of similar work as part of their degree, and this is basically networking 101. Not that humanities degrees can't network, but its often less ingrained into the program so that you can complete a 4-year degree and not actually do a real work-placement semester, and instead fill it up with less optimal commitments. The humanities people I know that were aggressively networking during their programs did fine on graduation, the ones that didn't did much worse.

This is also an institution thing, because there are universities that have a strong work focus across the board (like Northeastern) but I think its much more common for STEM than humanities and social sciences.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stemlords get paid more but just lol if that's the only measure of success and happiness

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Once the big Philosophy factory opens up in Wisconsin it should tip the scales a bit.

The answer is STEM degrees tie into jobs that are in higher demand (right now). Supply/Demand Curve means those people can jump jobs easier and drive up their wages, which in turn drives up wages for similar positions. People with humanities degrees can get on that curve, but its required that they acquire skills AND demonstrate those skills (which is what a degree accomplishes otherwise). Those skills aren't easy for many people to get and if they had the right interest/desire/skills they likely would have just gotten a STEM degree in the first place, though lots of people do switch industries so it's not that uncommon and the hurdles aren't that big. I posted before like a half dozen different jobs that pay really well that are staffed by people who have humanities degrees in a software company.

Bigger answer is:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

stemlords get paid more but just lol if that's the only measure of success and happiness

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To be fair, almost every other degree also gets paid more, not just stemlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You have to pay people more if you want them to tolerate engineers