Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also used it extensively though i can't remember if i was playing on nightmare or ultraviolence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Gauss Cannon was insanely overpowered and made mincemeat out of everything in the game

Nah, it was powered exactly as much as it should have been.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
I like the gatling rotator because the noise and muzzle flash of a chaingun going full tilt is wonderful

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I always loved how the gatling turret made the gun go from one set of barrells to three. It was my favorite gun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really was hoping that they'd just smash the assault rifle and chaingun together, chaingun aesthetics, assault rifle instant shooting speed, with your submods being either micro-missiles or turret mode. But hell, bring on whatever cool poo poo you've come up with for both of them, iD.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ice Fist posted:

I always loved how the gatling turret made the gun go from one set of barrells to three. It was my favorite gun.

Gatling was one of my favorites, if only because I felt like Jesse Ventura from Predator :black101:

"Doomguy ain't got time to bleed"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GreatGreen posted:

Nah, it was powered exactly as much as it should have been.

Which was extremely, as all Doom guns should be

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The chaingun was a pretty bad gun over all. The mobile turret mod was one of the coolest guns ever put in a shooter of course, but the default chaingun just wasn’t very fun. There was nothing it did that the assault rifle or mobile turret couldn’t do better.

Its fire rate should’ve been right between the assault rifle and mobile turret’s, and its wind-up time should have only taken like a third of a second, or just long enough that the gun doesn’t fire the exact instant you pull the trigger, but short enough to where it would still hit the target without having to track it around after you hit the fire button, and when it does start firing, it should begin firing at its full fire rate, none of this ramping up nonsense. The slow ramp up mechanic stands squarely against the best practice of constantly swapping around guns and firing as quickly and often as possible, which as we all know is the most correct and true way to play the game.

...this message brought to you by Mothers for Better Chainguns in 2019

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 16, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The chaingun should have worked like it did in Doom 1 and 2; as a complete replacement for the pistol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

GreatGreen posted:

The chaingun was a pretty bad gun over all. The mobile turret mod was one of the coolest guns ever put in a shooter of course, but the default chaingun just wasn’t very fun. There was nothing it did that the assault rifle or mobile turret couldn’t do better.

Its fire rate should’ve been right between the assault rifle and mobile turret’s, and its wind-up time should have only taken like a third of a second, or just long enough that the gun doesn’t fire the exact instant you pull the trigger, but short enough to where it would still hit the target without having to track it around after you hit the fire button, and when it does start firing, it should begin firing at its full fire rate, none of this ramping up nonsense. The slow ramp up mechanic stands squarely against the best practice of constantly swapping around guns and firing as quickly and often as possible, which as we all know is the most correct and true way to play the game.

...this message brought to you by Mothers for Better Chainguns in 2019

The wind up time makes it kind of annoying, but it out damages the assault rifle by a whole lot. Mobile turret kind of sucks until you get the cooldown mastery.

e: doom guy statue in Hayden's office is wearing the old armor, cool

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I really liked the scope rifle because it had the meatiest, most bassrumble satisfying whumps when it fired. Ear candy, pure and simple.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I used the Mobile Turret on both ULTRA-VIOLENCE and NIGHTMARE.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Limiting yourself to certain tools of destruction in Doom seems incredibly silly to me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

Limiting yourself to certain tools of destruction in Doom seems incredibly silly to me.

i just use one gun until ammo runs out for it then use the next one available

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just use whatever I feel like for however long I want cause in the end a full ammo refill is nothing but a button press, and a bad guy, away.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i just use one gun until ammo runs out for it then use the next one available

yeah pretty much though using the plasma rifles stun and stuff like that is handy for fights especially against summoners

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Imagine not maining the pistol in DOOM 2016 for the entire game, what a sad and empty life that must be.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heavy AR + micro missiles + infinite ammo rune = :discourse:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Guillermus posted:

Itano be praised. :pray:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Wisdom.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Better Equipment Rune + Siphon Grenade = Armor being restored while at full health = infinite ammo rune is always active = Micro-Missile/Mobile Turret Spam for eons

Although infinite plasma rifle is also fun, especially with the "Get Away From Me" mod that fills up in no time flat

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hold the gently caress up, rune-boosted Siphon Grenades refill armor when you're at max health? The gently caress?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

Hold the gently caress up, rune-boosted Siphon Grenades refill armor when you're at max health? The gently caress?

Found that out during the Spider Mastermind battle of all things

Then I went back and replayed the levels on a harder difficulty and abused the hell out of it

It's amazing

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Found that out during the Spider Mastermind battle of all things

Then I went back and replayed the levels on a harder difficulty and abused the hell out of it

It's amazing

Yeah I'm going to take that for a spin in Arcade. Don't need to gently caress with glory kills if a siphon grenade can get you that 75 armor much quicker and safer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Well, it has the charge shot, which is kind of an alt-fire. The SSG just zooms slightly in if you pull the trigger, which I always found funny.

"Sweet, now I'm looking at my target from 2 inches closer! You're in trouble now, demons!"

Yeah, but there's no alternative right click.

Alt-alt-fire? You get what I mean.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I basically never got any runes because I only did like three challenges and never found any secrets so

I'm happy the devs said that apparently no one else found them either because they're making the rune stuff way more available in Eternal

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Some of the rune challenges were kind of a drag.

They should replace runes with cheat codes scrawled on walls in secret areas. Instead of a megasphere you find a hidden door and someone's scrawled "IDDQD" on the wall, or you clip through something and find spispopd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did not care for the last chamce rune or its challenge

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

I did not care for the last chamce rune or its challenge

It's was very useful in permadeath difficulty Arcade but that's about it.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I still want them to work coop back into Doom 2016.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The runes were fun imo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but there's no alternative right click.

Alt-alt-fire? You get what I mean.

yeah nah I get it, I was a little disappointed by that too. For a short time I was hoping the pistol would get some kind of alt-fire or upgrade that would make it situationally useful on the same level as the rest of the arsenal, but nope, it's just a lil ol' popgun that you'll never touch once you get the shotgun right before the first imp/gore nest room.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Pistol is there for the super-highly unlikely scenario that you have run out of ammo, don't have any fuel/chainsaw, used up all ammo in the arena, and can't remember how to throw grenades.

Basically if the pistol was to be a fallback weapon, you'd have to be worse than that polygon dude. Cause even killing something at low ammo makes them drop a tiny bit more.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Since it looks like there'll be the same number of weapon slots there were in the first DOOM, I hope they just forgo the pistol entirely this time around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

Since it looks like there'll be the same number of weapon slots there were in the first DOOM, I hope they just forgo the pistol entirely this time around.

Isnt that what the gameplay demo showed? An 8 weapon wheel and no pistol?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
the pistol exists so people can do pistol only LPs

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I updated the big weapons post I made a few days ago but now in VIDEO FORM OH MY GOD!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMCWyPi7o0

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Much like the original Doom, the pistol is very useful for the 1 room full of basic zombiemen and maybe an imp before you get kill a sergeant to get a shotgun and then you never touch it again.

edit: Count me among the folks that wanted the pistol to get an upgrade that made it actually a useful sidegreade but I understand why they didn't. The assault rifle is a direct upgrade to the pistol so it doesn't really have any room for being unique in the arsenal. Maybe Doom E2rnal will change that but I doubt it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 16, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I updated the big weapons post I made a few days ago but now in VIDEO FORM OH MY GOD!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMCWyPi7o0

drat bro, you sound less fat than I expected.

E: huh, didn't notice the grappling icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Doom E2rnal