Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I know everybody acts at least a little when they know a camera is on them, but I've always preferred genuine poo poo like Noah Caldwell-Gervais actively trying to go super in-depth and occasionally adding a small joke when appropriate vs. "Hey guys you're all here to watch me do my waaaaaacky character comedy, also I give my opinion on *game* but that's just a vehicle to do jokes about." I think it's the way that guys like Noah wanna give the games the spotlight, and guys like Sterling, Yahtzee, etc wanna be the focus; they're just different approaches.

I mean, the ideal YouTube reviewer is probably Crowbcat, who doesn't even add commentary to his videos and just shows actual press footage and other people's amateur footage to make his point come across.

i don't like sterling, i am sure its mostly an act but he always comes off as massive over compensating shithead. i prefer super bunnyhop/ Noah and Tehsnakerer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

Fascist/Nazi-lite imagery is a pretty :chloe: brand choice for someone claiming to not be a fascist or a nazi

Yes, which is pretty much the exact reason everything's carnival themed now and he's a carny barker instead of an inquisition man.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So dead space 3 is free on xbox gold. i mean its not great but if anyone wants to play co-op, PM me.

Having finished Dead Space 3, the single player for that is trash but yeah the co-op stuff is worth at least a try. The co-op unique missions at least try to do some interesting horror stuff that's basically absent from the rest of the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've never understood the excuse 'it's just an act!!' if you walk like an rear end in a top hat, talk like an rear end in a top hat, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

TGLT posted:

Yes, which is pretty much the exact reason everything's carnival themed now and he's a carny barker instead of an inquisition man.

That sounds really asinine. Does he have clowns making balloon animals in the background? And if he doesn't, does the gimmick actually have any benefits or is this just something to distinguish him from the other voices screaming into the void?

I actually really like Dead Space 3's weapon crafting, even if the blueprint system is completely useless and several of the weapon types were just "big slow version of x" and "fast, weak version of x" or also useless (looking at you, arc welder).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

That sounds really asinine. Does he have clowns making balloon animals in the background? And if he doesn't, does the gimmick actually have any benefits or is this just something to distinguish him from the other voices screaming into the void?

I actually really like Dead Space 3's weapon crafting, even if the blueprint system is completely useless and several of the weapon types were just "big slow version of x" and "fast, weak version of x" or also useless (looking at you, arc welder).

Nah, it's more he swings around a big dumb cane in front of one of those sunburst(I have no actual idea what you call it) style backgrounds, and the intro video is of a campy horror carnival sort of. Also he wears a big hat instead of a bowler and the background music is more carny than not.

Dead Space 3's weapon crafting would have been more interesting if everything didn't pretty much boil down to "the one that makes the limbs go away the bestest" or "the one that kills the humans better." There's too little variety in the the various combat encounters to really capitalize on meaningful weapon customization, and with no more per-weapon ammo types there's never really a good reason to swap away from your bestest little baddie killer.

It's a shame because the brief section in actual space is really neat, and I'm a huge sucker for malevolent celestial objects, but it's all pretty dull once you make it to the planet.

Coolguye posted:

i've never understood the excuse 'it's just an act!!' if you walk like an rear end in a top hat, talk like an rear end in a top hat, you're an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, he also plays a sniveling coward when he wrestles named Sterdust. edit: The whole persona comes off more as a self-deprecating joke.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 16, 2018

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

TGLT posted:

Nah, it's more he swings around a big dumb cane in front of one of those sunburst(I have no actual idea what you call it) style backgrounds, and the intro video is of a campy horror carnival sort of. Also he wears a big hat instead of a bowler and the background music is more carny than not.

...And people... Enjoy him doing these things? Full disclosure, I know Jim Sterling mostly as "the guy that makes you wear a dress and drink paint" in Lisa: The Painful(at least I think that guy is meant to be Jim) so him doing "carnival barker videogame reviews" is kind of a trip.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TGLT posted:

I mean, he also plays a sniveling coward when he wrestles named Sterdust. edit: The whole persona comes off more as a self-deprecating joke.
we definitely have never had a problem with wrestling personas bleeding out of the ring

like i don't want to sound like i'm down on the idea of acting in general but when someone constantly says "i am x" and makes that their entire persona then x WILL define their personality whether they mean it to or not.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The horror is coming from within the thread again.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

...And people... Enjoy him doing these things? Full disclosure, I know Jim Sterling mostly as "the guy that makes you wear a dress and drink paint" in Lisa: The Painful(at least I think that guy is meant to be Jim) so him doing "carnival barker videogame reviews" is kind of a trip.

I think the short intro video's a cute 20 second thing, and the rest of it amounts to what he's wearing. Footage is usually of games and poo poo, or if it's one of his game reviews it's just in game footage. I mean unless you have an inherent aversion to calliopes just watch one of his videos. I actually don't know if that's a calliope. Basically it just comes down to whether or not you find his humor and demeanor offputting or not. Also yes, that is Jim Sterling in Lisa: The Painful.

Coolguye posted:

we definitely have never had a problem with wrestling personas bleeding out of the ring

like i don't want to sound like i'm down on the idea of acting in general but when someone constantly says "i am x" and makes that their entire persona then x WILL define their personality whether they mean it to or not.

Okay, but his wrestling persona is a sniveling coward who's basically a joke heel and is at odds with his game reviewer persona.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 16, 2018

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jukebox Hero posted:

He's a righteous rear end in a top hat. Doesn't matter if it's an act or not, that's how he presents himself and people enjoy watching assholes. His whole arrogant/self-deprecating persona is just window dressing, what he's really about is finding a villain in the game industry and drilling down on them as assholishly as possible. He tends to pick targets that actually deserve it, like publishers with terrible practices and developers trying to fleece players, and in that he makes a pretty good pundit in a culture that needs people punching in that direction. But he himself is very much the angry nerd gettin' righteously angry, and while people enjoy watching that and I enjoy watching that it's not the healthiest way to go about it. Then again he might be getting the attention of viewers who wouldn't have the patience for more nuanced stances, so :shrug:

I don't think much of him as a reviewer, and he's kind of gravitated away from doing real reviews over time in favor of his punditry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TGLT posted:

Having finished Dead Space 3, the single player for that is trash but yeah the co-op stuff is worth at least a try. The co-op unique missions at least try to do some interesting horror stuff that's basically absent from the rest of the game.

yeah pretty much. what sucks is i genuinly love the dead space universe because its so detailed and thought out. it sucks what happend with 3. gently caress EA.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
This discussion is relevant because carnivals followed clowns into the "Only used for ironic horror imagery" category. See also; nursery rhymes, animatronic robots, Judeo-Christian priests and nuns

What was the name of that one game Bobvids played that was set in some weird, rustic themepark, and the whole game was about how the main character became a mother too young and really just loving hated her kid? Might have just been "The Park"? It was a bad game but I feel like that could be an interesting story if somebody did it for real instead of as a student project.

Notes of Obsession kinda had a similar story; the character you play as is too wrapped up in her own drama to take care of her kid and that's a plot point.

I like lovely parents in horror stories.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 16, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Park wasn't even a student project, it was a tie-in game for terrible (but fantastically written) MMO The Secret World

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Yeah, it's The Park. I think it tied into the series Secret World but I can't remember.

I wish Fallen London would get some tie-ins like that. Sunless Sea has some real good ideas, but maybe they're just good as written and have the imagination handle most of it.

Also I don't watch sterling because his voice grates on me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The Park wasn't even a student project, it was a tie-in game for terrible (but fantastically written) MMO The Secret World

secret world was v bad but Black Watchmen is v good and is apparently much closer to secret world's original vision

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the park was about a specific spooky character in the secret world more or less. i'm not sure why the game was made but it exists and is fairly okay for what it does. i haven't checked in on the secret world after they did that re-release of sorts to brush up the combat and the like but it's still up there as basically the best mmo in terms of worldbuilding/setdressing and how it lets the player solve puzzles and do missions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Secret world’s quests and story are great. The combat, monetizing, and the fact that it’s an mmo make it suck rear end.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bogart posted:

Secret world’s quests and story are great. The combat, monetizing, and the fact that it’s an mmo make it suck rear end.

People keep saying the quests and story are great, but while I liked the ambiance and the aesthetics of the fish zombie town I didn't really see anything too stellar story wise. Does the story pick up elsewhere or what?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have no idea why Secret World isn't just a cRPG.

If it was I would play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It came out at the tail end of the 'MMO's are basically free money right' bandwagoning, that's pretty much it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

People keep saying the quests and story are great, but while I liked the ambiance and the aesthetics of the fish zombie town I didn't really see anything too stellar story wise. Does the story pick up elsewhere or what?

Very much so. The actual story is a tale of transdimensional forces beyond comprehension and humanity having to deal with how these forces manifest in our world. Spoiler in case anyone still cares. The mundane world we see around us is basically just a fraction of "what's really going on". Human civilisation is truly ancient. Very ancient. We're in the fourth age now with the pharos of Egypt being rulers of the third age (who had lots of advanced tech that got lost to time). Ages one and two are vague in nature but "hell" was a creation of humanity from one of these ages. An experiment that created a realm with no connection to "gaia" energy which is unpleasant situation to most living things. The forces of gaia are "the bees" who talk to you via metaphors and riddles revolving around honey or hives or something bees? Bees. The "baddies" are the forces of "the filth". The filth in game is represented as a black tar substance spreading over and corrupting everything it touches. The bees expand upon this and state that what we perceive as a black oily substance is merely points of interaction in our dimension of something that exists in a much higher dimension. The filth corrupts minds just as much as it corrupts physical reality.

Yadda yadda yadda mention of forces that live outside of time and space called "The titans" or "the host". Might be the same thing or possibly opposing forces. Implicit reference to greek and christian theology with the added twist that these beings are described as very lovecraftian in nature and to truly know them would break the human mind. So not some tall white guys with feathery wings or buff demigods being bros.

Been years since i've played so don't know if the story has expanded much or been retconned. The fish people definitely weren't important to the main plot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TGLT posted:

I imagine they're referring to things like how one of the early quests is that you're tasked with solving an illuminati puzzle. It has you finding some kind of nearby sign that Kingsmouth has a deep relationship with the illuminati, and the sign happens to be the illuminati symbol on a manhole cover. The cover points to another cover, so on and so forth, following it until you get to a plaque with a triangle and some words under it talking about

quote:

"In the Seat of Power, The Navigator Immortalized
Illuminating the Path
To the Sleeping Priest and Fletcher

In Memory of Frans Hals, who perished in light (1580 – 1666)"

and then you're supposed to deduce that the game wants you to head to the seat of power in Kingsmouth, the town hall, which has numerous paintings inside it, one of which being by a guy named Frans Hals, and said painting has the following text

quote:

Time is the province of Kings and Gods. The hands of time point to truths written by kings in the words of God. The path is open to the enlightened

and with the navigator in the picture illuminating the path forward, you just follow the direction of the telescope thing in the painting which points to a nearby clock on the wall that is stuck at a particular time, 10:10, and since the clue under the painting read that the hands of time point to truths written by kings in the words of God, then that means you need to go into a copy of the bible and look up Kings 10:10 which gives you

quote:

“And she gave the king a hundred and twenty talents (120) of gold, and of spices very great store, and precious stones: there came no more such abundance of spices as these which the queen of Sheba gave to king Solomon.”

With that, you can check your map and notice a place called the Solomon house which has a hidden keypad around the back that requires you to input the amount of gold Sheba gave to Solomon, so 120. Inside is a computer that asks for a password and gives the password hint "Light Conquers All" and in order to figure out the password, you have to remember that the manhole you started following had a latin phrase on it, Lux Omnia Vincit, which is latin for Light Conquers All, so that's the password and then you're finally let in. After that, you use the computer to reveal a secret space behind a bookshelf and grab some illuminati artifacts.

Basically, the secret world being an mmorpg really loving sucks because the fact that it even has puzzle quest things that are as involved as this is pretty great and I'd love to play a game that had more of that kinda thing in it. I wouldn't even necessarily mind the combat parts either if it were just a single player game with multiplayer components.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Oh good, the monthly Jim Sterling derail is right on schedule.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

dogstile posted:

If Jim Sterling doesn't like a game its probably not that bad of a game.

I don't like that guy

Glad to hear that you're a fan of Resident Evil Umbrella Corp and Aliens Colonial Marines

Hel posted:

Sterling is the guy standing at a podium dressed like a fascist ,right?

No, he's a carnival barker these days.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Besides TSW being an MMO, the game expects you to turn to the internet to research solutions to its puzzles. Except, usually, the specific result you look up, thanks to SEO crap, is usually like 'The Secret World forums: Questname Here' and the second one is what you want, Antonio Vivaldi or whatever. And you can tailor your searches to like, exclude:TSW, but that's hardly an elegant solution. It sucks. It's a fantastic world. I just hate fighting, the monetization, all that.

jim sterling kinda sucks imo

edit: the Draug Fishmen were ancient Norsemen who were hosed up by the main baddies, caught a fish virus, and retreated back to the sea.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 16, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't like the Secret World's writing for the puzzles or plot so much as the text itself, it's this pulpy madcap mess that's so full of affectation that you can tell whoever was writing it had the time of their lives. The game's lore is delivered by a techno-organic omniscient entity that pulls in pop culture references, literary allusions, and bits of rhyming doggerel for every major event and character. One particular long-lived villain with numerous aliases is said to "walk like a centipede on seventeen names" and "struts across the cadavers of ages." Another character is a bizarre Yakuza with a severe yen for the Roaring Twenties who keeps mixing Gatsby-era American slang with mafioso threats and ruminations on the nature of chaos. Like Fallen London, it's absolutely a game that's better read than played.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

I don't like the Secret World's writing for the puzzles or plot so much as the text itself, it's this pulpy madcap mess that's so full of affectation that you can tell whoever was writing it had the time of their lives. The game's lore is delivered by a techno-organic omniscient entity that pulls in pop culture references, literary allusions, and bits of rhyming doggerel for every major event and character. One particular long-lived villain with numerous aliases is said to "walk like a centipede on seventeen names" and "struts across the cadavers of ages." Another character is a bizarre Yakuza with a severe yen for the Roaring Twenties who keeps mixing Gatsby-era American slang with mafioso threats and ruminations on the nature of chaos. Like Fallen London, it's absolutely a game that's better read than played.

Absolutely, it's great. All of the factions have their own little spark. Your Illuminati handler treats the supernatural like she's just walked off the Wall Street trade floor.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sterling's opinions on the industry are the typical disingenuous thoughts you'd find on the average forum post but his political leanings are extremely left leaning and seriously arguing that he's some ironic Nazi sleeper cell agent is pointless posting for the sake of trying to have the last word.

exquisite tea posted:

Crowbcat isn't one person, you can tell because there are just funny videos of cascading failures like Andromeda + Evolve vs. the super defensive unfunny ones like Dead Rising 4.

Crowbcat is indeed a group and I'd assume it mostly stems from 4chan considering the dogwhistling and pandering to that culture that the videos have. It just generally goes by largely unnoticed because they target games and studios that ~~gamers~~ are already against for one reason or another.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jim Sterling's aesthetic was supposed to be a haughty cult of personality and it was made long before the orange pissbaby's jackboots decided to come spewing out of the woodwork, the entire reason he changed his persona was because of these things happening, he never "walked or talked like a fascist" or whatever, it was just a doofy aesthetic that he then abandoned when it became in bad taste, there was never even any ironic this or that because the aesthetic pretty much stopped at the visuals, the guy's a leftist.

Also Templars were the best TSW faction :colbert:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

Also Templars were the best TSW faction :colbert:

:wrong: They did have a better outfit than the Illuminati did, I'll give you that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One shame about The Secret World doing way too poorly to ever reach some kind of decent conclusion is that the mystique surrounding the Illuminati's upper echelons will never be cleared. The leadership of the other two factions is also kept a mystery but they don't have a patch on the Talking Heads and whatever the hell the Pyramidion is supposed to be.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

uh for the record i never called sterling a nazi, i called him an arrogant rear end in a top hat. could not give less of a poo poo about his politics since i'm not in the habit of getting my political opinions from self-absorbed entertainment pundits.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
lets settle this the usual way

Oxxidation posted:

One shame about The Secret World doing way too poorly to ever reach some kind of decent conclusion is that the mystique surrounding the Illuminati's upper echelons will never be cleared. The leadership of the other two factions is also kept a mystery but they don't have a patch on the Talking Heads and whatever the hell the Pyramidion is supposed to be.

I figured he was, like...Pop Culture that gained sentience, linked into an AI?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

That sounds dangerously close to matrix fighting the internet in Indigo Prophecy.

I really hope that's an end-game high level raid. twenty dudes breakdance fighting in midair. TRUE HORROR.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

I figured he was, like...Pop Culture that gained sentience, linked into an AI?

it's a giant shrug, made more ambiguous by the fact that the illuminati were at the forefront of weaponizing pop culture and memes in the first place

it's weirder that geary is in unholy terror of the talking heads but never mentions the pyramidion once

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they've actually added new content to TSW recently but of course it doesn't answer any of the lingering questions you may have

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

they've actually added new content to TSW recently but of course it doesn't answer any of the lingering questions you may have

i looked in on it and it at least answered what was up with marquard's family, though the answer was disappointingly banal

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

TGLT posted:

The game legit has some of the best lore there is; and to such a big scale it's almost unbelievable. They are not joking around about every conspiracy bring true.

Personally my favorite writting is in Tokyo with the morninglight and orochi stuff.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
weird that they opened up a portal and if you go through, it just downloads Conan Exiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meallan posted:

The game legit has some of the best lore there is; and to such a big scale it's almost unbelievable. They are not joking around about every conspiracy bring true.

Personally my favorite writting is in Tokyo with the morninglight and orochi stuff.

so how does the game play? is it like rpg shooter or is it like wow?