Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

achtungnight posted:

Chairman Maow. :D

Oh heck yeah. :ocelot: :)

Max out Legal, because we're a Hangin' Marshall, and Chairman Maow is our leverman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

achtungnight posted:

Let’s get this cat a comfortable seat and give it an appropriate title. Chairman Maow. :D

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

CourValant posted:

Vote: 2. An orange fluff cat named Maow (phonetic in Cantonese for cat).

How can I not vote for this option?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Let’s get this cat a comfortable seat and give it an appropriate title. Chairman Maow. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yup, orange fluffy, Chairman Maow it is. :D

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CourValant posted:

Vote: 2. An orange fluff cat named Chairman Maow (phonetic in Cantonese for cat).

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
The people have spoken!

quote:

An orange fluff cat.

Every cat needs a name, even if it never comes when you call it.

Schmidt eyes the fat orange tabby, "I knew a guy who looked like this. Call him the same, Mortimer or Mo for short."

Carson just shakes his head, "Just call it a cat. It won't come when you call it anyway."

Schmidt casts a baleful glance, "Everything comes if'n you use the right name."

"Cat. C. A. T. Cat. Anything more is a waste," Carson explains.

Certainly you'll have to name the feline something, even if only for your own peace of mind.

Name it something special.
Call the cat 'Mo' like Schmidt said.
Call the cat 'Cat' like Carson said.

Welcome aboard Chairman Maow!

quote:

Name it something special: Chariman Maow

You lay out a blanket for Chairman Maow and the rascal just stares at it a long moment before turning up a feline nose and heading for the corner. Gratitude spurned, you set to work on the office. But just as the cobwebs begin to clear, a long shadow falls across the boardwalk just outside. There a lean rake of a man slouches against the setting sun with his hat pulled low and a hand on the revolver high up in his waist band. A gunfighter, and he's aimed himself directly at your office.

"Marshal!" He calls out in imperious tones. "I'm Jack, Tumbleweed Jack, and I'm here to avenge my brother. Come on out here."

"That fella…" Schmidt sighs. "He thinks he's the only one who has ever lost family. How would he know? He never listens to anyone but himself."

Carson just shakes his head, "This is kinda why I didn't want to come into town."

1. Go out to meet this fool.
2. Stay inside. That idiot can hear me fine from here.
3. Slip out the back and circle around behind the man.
4. "Schmidt, keep me covered while I go out there."
5. "Carson, I'm going out to talk. Can you get somewhere and draw down on that fella with your rifle?"
6. Head on out the back and get away for a while. Whatever Tumbleweed wants, I don't.
7. Just shoot him.

We've been in this town an hour and we're already making new friends.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Broke.

Values:
Order: 53% Freedom: 47%
Honor: 56% Arbitrary: 44%
Law: 53% Individuality: 47%
Notoriety: 0% Anonymity: 100%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 40%
Sharpshooting: 32%
Brawling: 34%
Riding: 33%
Survival: 32%
Legal: 14%
Engineering: 10%
Explosives: 17%
Persuasion: 30%
Intimidate: 34%
Stamina: 26%
Resolve: 37%

Influence
Influence Carson: 67%
Influence Schmidt: 70%
Influence Marshal James: 55%

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 15, 2018

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

We're THE LAW in a formerly lawless town. If some clown questions us as soon as show up and we run away, no one in town will respect us. Maybe we can talk him down instead of smoking the first citizen who's spoken to us though.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

We've been in this town an hour and we're already making new friends.

Vote: 3. Slip out the back and circle around behind the man.

We'll go out to meet the man, just on our own terms. History has shown that Marshals don't last long in this town (presumably the dumb ones anyways).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Carson cover his rear end

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Wish there was an option for both our friends to cover the fool. As it is, Carson is our sniper pal, so can you watch over us please, Mr Saint??

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

3. Circle around, find out how sneaky we are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the dude's out the front door, you don't need loving vasiliy zaitsev to cover you. schmidt can do it, he sounds like he knows the guy.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dong Quixote posted:

Ask questions first, then shoot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have a 3 way tie. I picked my original choice assuming it would give us Relationship points with Carson for a successful test, but it may not. It may also be a high order- we just met and he said earlier he doesn’t want to shoot anyone he doesn’t have to. We have decent early game stats, we should be ok. Changing vote to #1 to move things ahead. Go outside, stay on our guard.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Alright, we're going outside.

quote:

Go out to meet this fool.

(Order and Honor slightly increased) (+2 Order, +2 Honor)

You saunter out into the dying day, the sun molten before you as it turns the town into a long streak of shadow. Tumbleweed Jack stands shrouded like all the rest, his features nearly eclipsed.

"I'm here to settle accounts for my brother. You ready?" he asks with cold determination.

1. "Your brother?"
2. Open fire.

What now?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
1. "Your brother?"

Let's at least try to get some information out of this guy before we're forced to shoot him.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
For us, it was Tuesday.

"Your brother?"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Try to resolve this peacefully if we can, Gunfighting is our highest Skill but that doesn't mean we should use it. Tell me about your brother, please.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Vote: 1. "Your brother?"

Dallbun posted:

For us, it was Tuesday.

Marvelous.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

For us, it was Tuesday.

"Your brother?"

:golfclap: and voting this

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Dallbun posted:

For us, it was Tuesday.

"Your brother?"

Voting for this option.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

1. "Your brother?"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to talk and figure out why we want to shoot each other to begin with.

quote:

"Yeah, my brother," Tumbleweed Jack says evenly. "You might never have known him, but that don't really matter much to me."

1. "What's this about your brother?"

quote:

"My brother, Brian. He were in Kansas when the marshals came for him. They done strung him up, the four of them, and I'm fixing to put each of them in their grave."
1A. "I wasn't one of them."
1B. "I've never been to Kansas."
1C. "I've been a marshal for barely a month."
1D. "What did your brother do?"

2. "I don't think I'm the one you're looking for."

quote:

"Course ya aren't. I know that, but until I can get back to Kansas and track them down, I'll take what justice I can scrounge."

"Justice? How would killing me be justice?"
"Someone's got to pay," Tumbleweed shrugs.

"I get you. Don't agree, but I get you."
"Mighty white of you," Tumbleweed Jack says and almost tips his hat.

3. "Why do they call you Tumbleweed Jack?"

"Ah, ya'll don't want to hear that," Tumbleweed bats back at you.

"But, I do like telling it."

The gunfighter shifts absently with his back to the sun, "When I was young, I had plenty of brothers and Brian, dear Brian, was the eldest of us and he'd lead us in all kinds of play. It were no different when we went to visit family in Virginia one summer when things were looking, well, things were teetering in good old Kansas. It were gonna get bad, at least til people worked through a compromise, but there we were in Virginia, up in the mountains.

"Kansas is flat as a pancake, flatter really and but now we boys had mountains to climb and climb we did. Up and down, every day. By the end of things, we got good and got to boasting, so Brian decided to settle things with a contest. Whoever got up and down the mountain fastest would win himself a genuine flint arrowhead that he'd found and kept. Pretty thing, all black rock and smoothed from all the years it'd laid lost.

"So, one morning we boys all set off at the same time, left Brian waiting down below. Up and up we went, the older of us getting a ready leg on us youngers. But I wasn't gonna have none of that. I got to the top and instead of taking the path back down, I went off the steep side, tumbled my way, all the way, down to the bottom. Like a tumble-weed. So that's what they called me from then on."

He pulls a necklace out from under his shirt and reveals a length of leather from which hangs an obsidian arrowhead that drinks in the dying sun. His fingers briefly rub the length of it before he slips it back down and out of sight with a wistful sigh.

4. "What brings you out here?"

quote:

"Gold. Lots of it. Figured I'd pan my way to wealth, but it ain't worked out so well. I just don't have the luck, not for that anyway. But once I scrape together enough to head back east, I'll be returning to Kansas to settle up with those marshals that killed my brother."

4A. "You're looking for vengeance?"
4B. "How does killing me make you wealthy?"
4C. "I bet Schmidt here could teach you all the ins and outs of panning for gold."
4D. "If you like, I could talk to Ben Carson about working on a ranch near Albion Falls."

5. "What's your play here?"

quote:

"I'm gonna shoot ya'll unless you scoot." Tumbleweed explains simply.

"Yes, but why here?"
Tumbleweed shrugs, "You know a better place? I mean, I got you in my sights, don't I?"

"This county didn't have a marshal for months. Why would you wait around here?"
"I... been looking other places too," Tumbleweed allows with a hint of a grin.

"You're hiding something."
Tumbleweed says as he suppresses a grin, "Aren't we all?"

6. "Alright then, I'm ready to throw down with you."

7. "You look like you're ready to kill, but then so am I."

quote:

Tumbleweed Jack sneers as he holds up three fingers, "I've killed three men."

7A. "What, today?"
7B. "I've killed that many this month."
7C. "Come talk to me when you've run out of fingers to count them on."
7D. "Do you not count women? I know I don't."
7E. "Does that include those like me?"
(Note: Chinese)

So, Tumbleweed Jack. He's an interesting piece to do in an audience-participation LP owing to the fact that he's part cycling dialogue tree with varying sub-responses, of which you can select only one per section and can't repeat any section. Some of them are just fluff responses without too much going on, which I've just opted to post in full rather than make the thread vote its way through the tree over the next few days. Others contain choices that can affect how this section plays out, which I've opted to leave to the thread. Those would be Question 1 "What's this about your brother?" and Question 4 "What brings you out here?"

You can always elect to stop talking (even if it's only because you ran out of conversation options) by selecting one of the last two choices "Alright then, I'm ready to throw down with you.", or the last one, which comes with its own little sub-choices.

Ultimately, you're voting on how you want to end this conversation (either choice 6 or one of 7's sub-choices, they're mutually exclusive) plus if there's something you want to see in the subsections from questions 1 and 4.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 18, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
1D. What’d your brother do?

7-E. Those like me?

You ain’t never met someone like me, sir.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 18, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

Time to talk and figure out why we want to shoot each other to begin with.

Vote:

4C. "I bet Schmidt here could teach you all the ins and outs of panning for gold."
7E. "Does that include those like me?" (Note: Chinese)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CourValant posted:

Vote:

7E. "Does that include those like me?" (Note: Chinese)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to find out a few more things.

quote:

What did your brother do?

"Nothing," Jack shakes his head. "I mean, they said he did terrible things when he was in the army, but those were all lies. They wanted his land, and they got it."

"How do you know that?"

"My mother wrote me letters, explained the whole thing. My brother needs justice."

quote:

I bet Schmidt could teach you the ins and outs of panning for gold.

"If he's been doing it so long, why isn't he rich?" Tumbleweed asks.

"Whiskey mainly." Schmidt replies honestly. (+2 Schmidt)

quote:

Does that include people like me?

Tumbleweed Jack blinks at you, "No…no, I don't think so. Where would I find celestials like you way out here?"

quote:

"I guess you haven't looked hard enough."
The other man frowns and shifts his feet, "Look, this isn't about no celestials. I... I'm here to...do you in, if'n you don't chicken."

"The railroad will be coming through here soon. People like me will be building it."
"Well, that's…uh…" the other man frowns and shifts his feet. "Look, I don't wanna talk about no celestials or no railroad what ain't here. If'n you don't chicken and run, I'm gonna do you in."

That's the kind of ultimatum that clears things up nicely.

The gunfighter's pistol is high up on his belt, making it easy for him to pull it free and get to work. At close quarters it is the shooter who stays steady who gets to walk away. Usually. Facing a man down in the street is always a dangerous thing. But with the setting sun behind him, it'll be a trifle more difficult than usual to shoot your mark.

1. Pull my pistol and get to work.
2. "I can tell your heart isn't in this."
3. Signal for Carson to take the shot.
4. "Schmidt, let's see this through."
5. "Alright, I'll leave."

Looks like we have ourselves a showdown imminent. How do we want to handle it?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Going for 1

We've given him plenty of options to back down, tried to talk him down,and while his heart might not be in this we've seen no indication that he's willing to be talked down or shoot. THis is self defense.

And while we are the marshall, neither of the two other men are deputized. This is on our hands. He's challenged us, we've tried to talk him down, he's getting ready to draw on us. If we had some further way to plead to him to stand down or saw that he wasn't willing to spill our blood for this even though due to our complete uninvolvement.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
If we die here do we get to start over from the last save?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Avalerion posted:

No blood need be spilled this day

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Enough of this fool business.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

sebmojo posted:

No blood need be spilled this day

Voting 2.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

sparkmaster posted:

Enough of this fool business.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Try #2. If he really wanted to kill us, he wouldn’t be talking so much.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
"I can tell your heart isn't in this."
Let's try not to plug a man who's just being a fool.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

"I can tell your heart isn't in this."
Let's try not to plug a man who's just being a fool.

This. No reason to smoke this clown unless he forces us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.