Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I'm only ever renaming stars when I'm colonising so I expect the station (which is rarely updated by that point) to change name too.
Maybe just make it so un-upgraded stations change names.

Why are you renaming stars so much.

It's the opposite, every Station gets their own individual Name, I'm only occasionally renaming Stars.

So it would really suck if my stations lose their names just because I renamed their suns.

Edit: Also gently caress you too, phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gyshall posted:

How are the performance gains on the new system?

This really isn't something we can properly measure until we're further along in development but I'm hoping for some substantial late-game improvements.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
We saw a city-world earlier in a teaser didn't we? I wonder if that's a terraforming thing or just a graphic change for a world where you build nothing but cities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

There is no manual upgrading of districts.

gently caress
Yes

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The subtle hints at changes to trade are intreaguing (I want more freighter eye candy) and it would be nice if it had more impact on the galaxy at large but that I'm most interested in now is how populations will grow.

It seems you'll no longer be able to click and drag people between planets, they'll instead have to grow more organically over time but the current UI leaves room for only one to grow at a time with a separate pane for buildings bots. It doesn't make sense that they'd only let one species grow at a time (especially on new or nearly empty worlds) so there's got to be something else to it.

At the moment I'm really into my gene modding empires and carefully cultivating my planets so I'm eagerly awaiting that dev diary.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Wiz posted:

There is no manual upgrading of districts.

Hnnnngh

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Welp, glad to know that the Tile Debate has been settled, and that the people who loved tiles in this very thread, posting about how cool they are and how they enjoy it, for two years, lol, will have to revert to a pre tile build to keep enjoying them :3:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm very pleased by the changes and hope, if trade is a big feature, we get dynamic ships roaming around our systems. I know there are mods for that but they overfill the galaxy map with icons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Welp, glad to know that the Tile Debate has been settled, and that the people who loved tiles in this very thread, posting about how cool they are and how they enjoy it, for two years, lol, will have to revert to a pre tile build to keep enjoying them :3:

I’ve been enjoying AlphaAsh’s meltdowns on the steam workshop over every major patch. I mean I get it, his biggest thing in alphamod is how he does tile bonuses and adjacency bonuses, but man that guy is angry about this revamp.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm hoping these changes make the existence of Nomad empires possible. gently caress planets. Give me the stars :v:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A key prerequisite of that would be to allow mobile entities the ability to support pops. I suspect that'd be an entire expansion worth of content in itself and another huge engine overhaul, though this economy rework could easily be laying the ground work for it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm hoping these changes make the existence of Nomad empires possible. gently caress planets. Give me the stars :v:

I want to play as a race that begins in an abandoned habitat and can never comfortably settle on any planet after spending so long in space.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I want to play as a race that begins in an abandoned habitat and can never comfortably settle on any planet after spending so long in space.

Extremely this. Start with hab tech (maybe not even this), 100% orbital habitability, -80% all other habitability. Kind of like life seeded but harder.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I just want to say that I don't understand the. I don't even know how to put it. Like, I liked that Stellaris had warp . I think it was a good thing. Then they got rid of it in 2.0, and you know, that's fine.its still a good game. I wish it were still there, but it's not something I'm in agony about. I like tiles, partly because of the variety of buildings you can make and the stuff that things like Alphamod do with it. Now Wiz is taking it out and that's ok, and I'm still probably going to enjoy the replacement he puts in. And I get there are people who don't like warp being in there and people who don't like tiles and are glad about the changes.

What I don't get is like the schadenfreude, and the way people get so worked up about it, on both sides. Every game I've ever played since I've started playing video games hasuch had features I've liked and features I didn't like, and you just put up with the features you don't like so you can enjoy the ones you do. And plus, everybody has different tastes and preferences. Do I don't understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bloodly posted:

I wonder how this will play out. Will you actually have 'diversity' or will you be constrained even more?

There should at least be diversity in that you'll have different kinds of buildings competing for the same district setup. Sure you'll probably make city planets (how many though?) but how many of those will you turn into research planets and how many will you turn into forge worlds?

Also the old industry question of how quickly you want to be able to recover from fleet losses (and how much you rely on stockpiles vs coverting minerals constantly) - because those buildings will eat the same slots your research does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

What? No! That would loving suck! ( I give all my stations special names completely separate from the star names. Your idea would mean that every time I want to rename a star, the game would automatically overwrite my custom names. That would suck )

The game already has some kind of meta-tag system whereby planets can have part of their name be derived from the star. It should be quite easy to have that include stations too.

I don't know exactly how it works but I think the name string just has hidden characters in it which define a section to load the name of the star in, you can actually preserve it if you just append the default name of a planet without touching the star name part. Also because Guilli's planet modifiers definitely uses hidden characters to colour and add icons to the strings.

The update looks very nice honestly. The only thing I'm slightly sad about is I want the infrastructure numbers and building slots to go higher than 110 but that's just because I really like the idea of dumping idiotic amounts of resources into things to make stupid tricked out nonsense.

Very curious to see if this system could be used to create more interesting and perhaps more granular space habitats, and potentially even habitable ships.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 16, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Epicurius posted:

I just want to say that I don't understand the. I don't even know how to put it. Like, I liked that Stellaris had warp . I think it was a good thing. Then they got rid of it in 2.0, and you know, that's fine.its still a good game. I wish it were still there, but it's not something I'm in agony about. I like tiles, partly because of the variety of buildings you can make and the stuff that things like Alphamod do with it. Now Wiz is taking it out and that's ok, and I'm still probably going to enjoy the replacement he puts in. And I get there are people who don't like warp being in there and people who don't like tiles and are glad about the changes.

What I don't get is like the schadenfreude, and the way people get so worked up about it, on both sides. Every game I've ever played since I've started playing video games hasuch had features I've liked and features I didn't like, and you just put up with the features you don't like so you can enjoy the ones you do. And plus, everybody has different tastes and preferences. Do I don't understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here.
Ham Sandwiches is a loving idiot and is full of poo poo. I've been following this thread for months and I cant remember anyone here being slavishly attached to Tiles and his post you quoted (people should really stop quoting him / responding to him btw) is so completely over the top I cant believe it. There are like three noisy people on the Paradox Forums about "The Death Of Tiles, Tiles Are Why I Bought The Game" and literally everyone else is excited.

Like you said, people have different tastes and ignore stuff they dont like. I hate the tiles but the rest of the game is good so I played it anyway, now they will be gone and I will play the game even more. Some people may not mind them and thats fine - there is nothing wrong with that.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Plus the people melting down over ftl/tiles are can be pretty hilarious about it. Not to the level of having lost their ability to feel human, but still hilarious.

Though I thought AlphaAsh had a pretty reasonable stance on things where he didn't want to spend a lot of time making a big overhaul like Alphamod since a lot of the work might be wasted after another patch with some big rework. Looking at the comment page though he's now complaining about "fanbois", so I'm guessing I missed at least one meltdown there. Anyone want to summarize/give a link if they have it?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

God yes, this. Make them Despoilers too and you're a pirate clan. Which I have always enjoyed playing in these sort of games.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the suggestion to auto-rename stations when the planet name changes is just for it to follow the same rules as other name changes like this, as in it will only auto-update things you haven't named. So if your star system is Blorgsnot with the planet Blorgsnot I and Blorgsnot II and Blorgsnot IV plus "Blorgsnot Starbase" and change the name of the star, all the names update. But if you had named the starbase BLORGFORT or re-named a planet, those won't change.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is AlphaAsh the one who insists on generating a large amount of drama with every major patch because they're convinced that the devs are actively trying to make his life hard or stealing his ideas or something? I distinctly remember there was one guy from some major mod who got REAL upset that the devs were daring to change the game without running it past him first to make sure it would work with his mod, but I don't remember if it was AlphaMod or not.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm wondering why the addition of alloys? Minerals were used to build everything: Ships, buildings, bots, megastructures, etc. Now there is an additional step for some of those things, which if done poorly (which I doubt) would just be complexity for complexity's sake.

It would be interesting if the buildings that produced alloys were limited by tech or civics or something, so different empires would have different divisions of resources. A sprawling low tech race of idiots would be rolling in the minerals but have scant few alloys to use for ships, etc. Maybe with the market portion of the update you could even create an empire of refinery planets, importing almost all your minerals and refining them, then selling some of the finished goods back to your less developed neighbors.

That would be a really cool addition to the game and break up the standard 4X strategy of conquer everything: the minor empires in the galaxy don't get conquered, but instead become third world banana republics; mining space neodymium and selling it to you, and buying space hard drives from you in return.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Is AlphaAsh the one who insists on generating a large amount of drama with every major patch because they're convinced that the devs are actively trying to make his life hard or stealing his ideas or something? I distinctly remember there was one guy from some major mod who got REAL upset that the devs were daring to change the game without running it past him first to make sure it would work with his mod, but I don't remember if it was AlphaMod or not.

That sounds like him. I like the mod but he's a bit of a goon.

Though to be honest the main things I use it for are the improvements to the societal and planetary development areas of the game which the patch is massively overhauling so i probably won't need the mod come the update.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nevets posted:

I'm wondering why the addition of alloys? Minerals were used to build everything: Ships, buildings, bots, megastructures, etc. Now there is an additional step for some of those things, which if done poorly (which I doubt) would just be complexity for complexity's sake.

It would be interesting if the buildings that produced alloys were limited by tech or civics or something, so different empires would have different divisions of resources. A sprawling low tech race of idiots would be rolling in the minerals but have scant few alloys to use for ships, etc. Maybe with the market portion of the update you could even create an empire of refinery planets, importing almost all your minerals and refining them, then selling some of the finished goods back to your less developed neighbors.

That would be a really cool addition to the game and break up the standard 4X strategy of conquer everything: the minor empires in the galaxy don't get conquered, but instead become third world banana republics; mining space neodymium and selling it to you, and buying space hard drives from you in return.

Well one of the reasons they mentioned for having more resources is so there can be an interstellar marketplace and trade.

The other is because now minerals are used for both military stuff and civilian stuff. You gotta decide how much you want to compromise the happyness of your civilians vs how much you want to be ready for War and to replace war losses. That seems like a good enough reason to introduce some complexity (plus you get minerals from districts, but you refine minerals with pops and infrastructure, so different planet layouts are needed for each).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We don't know everything yet but I'm a little disappointed this system isn't introducing some sort of industrial system. This would be the perfect time to introduce manufacturing capacities of some sort. Mines make materials, but factories produce the build points or what ever that determine the speed of construction. Local star base shipyards could also get a system-wide boost from planet industry. Just anything that lets us invest in building things quicker. So often I don't need more minerals or energy, I just want to be able to build that titan a bit faster, finish those robo-pops quicker, upgrade those buildings sooner and so on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also obviously physics deposits are where the ground contains physics and you smack it with an electron microscope to get the physics out.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I think the main point of adding the industrial processing layer to the economy is you now have to decide whether your minerals are gonna be processed into civilian luxuries OR war materiel, and the factories you need to make both take up the same limited slots so you have to make a tradeoff between guns and butter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I think the main point of adding the industrial processing layer to the economy is you now have to decide whether your minerals are gonna be processed into civilian luxuries OR war materiel, and the factories you need to make both take up the same limited slots so you have to make a tradeoff between guns and butter.

Yeah, it's not adding "industry capacity" but it's adding more layers to your economy. I just hope it works out well and we don't all end up sitting on 20,000 capped luxuries stockpiled while begging for alloys to build ships and realizing we need to go click 3 layers deep into every planet to demolish some luxury factories and replace with alloy. For all the micro this change is eliminating there's a huge potential for adding more, but that's specifically a stated goal they're avoiding so I have faith wiz has that figured out to an extent.

I still really wish things like class/race based luxuries were on a slider so if you were sitting on a huge surplus you could just extra pamper your pops. Wouldn't surprise me though if they have some edict-like things that let you do a one-time luxury bonanza that costs 120x your current luxury spending per month and makes all your pops X% happier for 10 years.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 16, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Possible physics deposits: frictionless vacuum, herds of spherical cows, a bunch of harmonic oscillators if nothing better is around (and as we all know, most things can be thought of as harmonic oscillators).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

We don't know everything yet but I'm a little disappointed this system isn't introducing some sort of industrial system. This would be the perfect time to introduce manufacturing capacities of some sort. Mines make materials, but factories produce the build points or what ever that determine the speed of construction. Local star base shipyards could also get a system-wide boost from planet industry. Just anything that lets us invest in building things quicker. So often I don't need more minerals or energy, I just want to be able to build that titan a bit faster, finish those robo-pops quicker, upgrade those buildings sooner and so on.

I may be pulling this completely out of my rear end but I think it was mentioned somewhere that higher infrastructure increases construction speed?

E: Wait I think that's HoI :downs:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sensible approach would be to have variable, but small, caps for the maintenence resources like luxuries, and introduce overflow benefits like with food.

Alternatively: Let us build ships out of luxuries. Very poor combat stats but every one you own gives you a small improvement to diplomatic relations.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 16, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm hoping too that the new unseen trade system will also make it much less likely to be sitting on huge stockpiles of poo poo you don't need. Just sell those extra luxuries on the open market and enjoy the extra energy or minerals or what ever you buy.

I wonder though what will determine the order countries get first dibs on items in the world market. Perhaps some sort of new prestige system that ranks nations? Perhaps the top 8 nations in the game should be in their own "Great Empires" category along with special abilities to add smaller countries to their spheres.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Maybe the new trade system will let us become arms dealers selling fleets on the open market. Or mercenaries!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could do it individually between empires, the better your relations, the more preferential your access to the resources that empire puts on the market. Encouraging trade oriented empires to be friends with as many people as possible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I believe Wiz said the galactic market can't actually run out of resources, which leads me to guess there isn't really a 1:1 correspondence between people selling and buying on it, it's just an array of energy costs that change depending on whether there's been more selling or buying activity recently.

Of course that would be separate from the trade value/trade route system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could borrow the SOASE model where there's an infinite pool but you can put your own resources up at a lower price, and then you pocket the cash of any purchases.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crazycryodude posted:

I may be pulling this completely out of my rear end but I think it was mentioned somewhere that higher infrastructure increases construction speed?

E: Wait I think that's HoI :downs:
It is in HoI4 but it doesnt mean it isnt a thing in Stellaris, too!

Baronjutter posted:

I may be misunderstanding what you are getting at but I get the feeling we are getting something along those lines. But I guess we will have to wait a few weeks to know for sure.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The game already has some kind of meta-tag system whereby planets can have part of their name be derived from the star. It should be quite easy to have that include stations too.

I don't know exactly how it works but I think the name string just has hidden characters in it which define a section to load the name of the star in, you can actually preserve it if you just append the default name of a planet without touching the star name part. Also because Guilli's planet modifiers definitely uses hidden characters to colour and add icons to the strings.

The update looks very nice honestly. The only thing I'm slightly sad about is I want the infrastructure numbers and building slots to go higher than 110 but that's just because I really like the idea of dumping idiotic amounts of resources into things to make stupid tricked out nonsense.

Very curious to see if this system could be used to create more interesting and perhaps more granular space habitats, and potentially even habitable ships.

I don't care how easy it is, I don't want the game to overwrite my names. This idea is bad, just imagine it is late-game and you have something like 50+ stations. Now you rename a couple of suns without thinking and gently caress, now several of your stations change names, too!

Best case, you have to go through your long list of stations to tediously change all their names back. Worst case, you totally forgot this hypothetical auto-renaming was a thing and now you spend tons of time searching for your old stations.

In short, this idea is bad and should never exist. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, no the way it works currently is that basically if you leave a planet untouched, its name will update with the sun, if you rename it yourself, it doesn't change. Unless you specifically avoid editing the part of the original name that is named after the star, which... would be a bit weird if it didn't update honestly.

So if you give your stations unique names the only part that could conceivably update with the star would be, well, the part that was named after the star.

And personally I find it quite confusing when my outliner tells me that Alpha Centauri Station exists when Alpha Centauri has been named Bumarse Poopstar for the last 20 years.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We were talking about stations