Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

no, because nobody is making any money off it at the moment by artificially inserting their app into the transaction and we can't allow that to happen.

i'm fantasizing about the police being forced to crack down on cyclists locking their bikes to every single thing they can find, and then how common it becomes to just bring your bike everywhere with you like into classrooms and jamming it into elevators and balancing it on your desk

it was kind of a problem in college where they'd hafta go around and impound bikes that got locked up onto trees and signs and stuff since they didn't have enough racks for everyone (for awhile). cost like $5 to get your bike outta bikejail tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
neat fact: you can have as many motorcycles as you can fit in a metered spot in denver, and as long as the meter's paid, everything's fine, but if it runs out, every biek gets a ticket lmao

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

mrmcd posted:

I mean they tried to hire some experienced urban planners and architects, but none of them could write a for loop to save their lives, much less discuss the big-O tradeoffs of hashmaps versus static arrays.

what are they teaching these civil "engineers" if not big-O tradeoffs??

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my city instituted their own parking app to replace parkmobile and reduced the fee from 35 cents to 25 cents and people were loving livid they had to pay a fee at all. meanwhile the city just north of us is like a dollar for 30 minutes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

neat fact: you can have as many motorcycles as you can fit in a metered spot in denver, and as long as the meter's paid, everything's fine, but if it runs out, every biek gets a ticket lmao

i think that's the idea, yeah. well, ideally, there would also be bike sized parking spots that are 1/5th or whatever the price, but

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Leck posted:

what are they teaching these civil "engineers" if not big-O tradeoffs??

isnt landau notation a generic tool of generic mathematical analysis

i know all my condensed matter physicist friends can list off the obscurer ones that programmers never use (small o, small and large omega) cuz they use it occasionally. like, landau (the other, inexplicably more famous landau)'s phase transition arguments based on ignoring smaller terms cuz we can

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why

is there a large amount of bike traffic inflating commuter times and distances and driving development away from the urban center

well not yet, just being proactive :thumbsup:

plus we want to encourage ~entrepreneurship~ and regulating all of our daily existence through monetary exchange and markets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isnt landau notation a generic tool of generic mathematical analysis

i know all my condensed matter physicist friends can list off the obscurer ones that programmers never use (small o, small and large omega) cuz they use it occasionally. like, landau's phase transition arguments based on ignoring smaller terms cuz we can

thats typically not in the civil engineering courseload though

i'd love to see one of these CS guys do a statics or thermo problem though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how do you even charge someone to use your bike rack

like is there an open loop that racks closed for an hour to pass their chain through when they drop a quarter into the slot

hmmmm

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how do you even charge someone to use your bike rack

the shaggar model: one pound of flesh.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how do you even charge someone to use their bike rack

like is there an open loop that racks closed for an hour to pass your chain through when you drop a quarter into the slot

hmmmm

You make people put their rear wheel into what's more-or-less a boot. When the time runs out the trap snaps shut.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

thats typically not in the civil engineering courseload though

i'd love to see one of these CS guys do a statics or thermo problem though

really sophisticated machine learning poo poo shoves in a nontrivial amount of thermo (or at least statmech, really)

forex, a lotta intros to the markov net do a lil intro to free energy of 2d ising model and solve that as a sort of aside, or at least mention 2d ising model

boltzmann machine was named after boltzmann but hinton mentioned p. often (to rumelhart at least) that it's got elements of the potts model in there too

the info theory poo poo that peeps were arguing about a year or two ago about sgd compression (again, altho i suspect those peeps didnt read the prev arguments) would implicate potts model being a deec model of backprop net, if you buy that argument

ganguli has a lotta arxiv poo poo about yadda yadda criticality all of it suckin cuz he only use krylov poo poo

they do tend to skip over the kinda thermo a civil engineer would poke at, sure. cuz in cs land temp is 0 more often than not

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 16, 2018

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Toronto street parking is pay & display, but for motorcycle and scooters it's free. they even started designating bike only parking zones but they don't really enforce it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

You make people put their rear wheel into what's more-or-less a boot. When the time runs out the trap snaps shut.

ok but you've also gotta prevent people from just looping a cable through your mount somewhere, or around a nearby tree or mailbox or signpole or newspaper dispenser or streetlight pole or

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ok but you've also gotta prevent people from just looping a cable through your mount somewhere, or around a nearby tree or mailbox or signpole or newspaper dispenser or streetlight pole or

Well this is mostly for elementary schools. The rest you just boot or snip and impound.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Chris Knight posted:

Toronto street parking is pay & display, but for motorcycle and scooters it's free. they even started designating bike only parking zones but they don't really enforce it.

More cities should do something like this. There aren't enough incentives to ride motorcycles in Seattle, I think in america they're mostly seen as toys.

For small scooters I wish they would offer public bike racks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

...wouldn't I want to have it snapped shut until I'm ready to leave, in order to deter theft?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...wouldn't I want to have it snapped shut until I'm ready to leave, in order to deter theft?

No, that's the responsibility of the individual bike owner.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

suddenly I'm just thinking about people just parking everywhere physically possible at a lot of parks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of the regional parks I like to do a lot of weekday trail runs at has a nice big almost-always-empty parking lot with a bunch of cars parked on the shoulder of the road leading up to it

there are no parking fees

people are just so brain rotted about it they just do it by default now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

Well this is mostly for elementary schools. The rest you just boot or snip and impound.

sounds like making a bike illegal to tie up everywhere might be expensive to enforce and could conflict with these mountless e-scooter rentals

instead lets earn more profit by renting out e-bikes that you can just pick up and go on no racks needed and if someone hasn't paid and tries to take one or runs outta money the battery sends a strong current through the metal frame

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

solution: cut down all trees, remove all mailboxes and signs

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Poniard posted:

this person thinks like the mayor/council of a boring moderately sized midwestern city :thumbsup:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Poniard posted:

lol i wonder when colorado springs tries this

well you see trees are a huge waste of water and we are also looking for savings from paid maintenance so

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sounds like making a bike illegal to tie up everywhere might be expensive to enforce and could conflict with these mountless e-scooter rentals

instead lets earn more profit by renting out e-bikes that you can just pick up and go on no racks needed and if someone hasn't paid and tries to take one or runs outta money the battery sends a strong current through the metal frame

As long as it makes some money and ends with eight year-olds sobbing hysterically as muscular, mustachioed cops carry away their bikes I'm good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol kids don't ride their bikes to school anymore, every single kid gets dropped off at the front gate by a large suv

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i know all my condensed matter physicist friends
my first quick read of this had me thinking you had friends made of condensed matter

which would be pretty awesome

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FCKGW posted:

lol kids don't ride their bikes to school anymore, every single kid gets dropped off at the front gate by a large suv

sorry your city sucks rear end

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

my first quick read of this had me thinking you had friends made of condensed matter

which would be pretty awesome

all my friends are made of solids and liquids yes

no superconducting friends or spin glass friends, sorry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

really sophisticated machine learning poo poo shoves in a nontrivial amount of thermo (or at least statmech, really)

forex, a lotta intros to the markov net do a lil intro to free energy of 2d ising model and solve that as a sort of aside, or at least mention 2d ising model

boltzmann machine was named after boltzmann but hinton mentioned p. often (to rumelhart at least) that it's got elements of the potts model in there too

the info theory poo poo that peeps were arguing about a year or two ago about sgd compression (again, altho i suspect those peeps didnt read the prev arguments) would implicate potts model being a deec model of backprop net, if you buy that argument

ganguli has a lotta arxiv poo poo about yadda yadda criticality all of it suckin cuz he only use krylov poo poo

they do tend to skip over the kinda thermo a civil engineer would poke at, sure. cuz in cs land temp is 0 more often than not

that'd be part of a masters level elective if its even a class

the joke was that the civil engineers couldn't do something undergrad CS majors get a ton of and are often quizzed on when it comes time for jobs. so i reversed that and imagined what would happen if the programmers had to do some simple statics/dynamics/thermo problems. all sophomore level classes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Poniard posted:

oh hey i didn't know you worked for the county road commission. :eyepop:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
when i was an intern a buncha my early projects were creating the infrastructure for pedestrian routes to schools that were funded through federal grants for towns that didn't have the money

these were places where there was an elementary school in the middle of a neighborhood that didn't have sidewalks

it is absolutely shameful how bad all this poo poo was designed 30+ years ago

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was an intern a buncha my early projects were creating the infrastructure for pedestrian routes to schools that were funded through federal grants for towns that didn't have the money

these were places where there was an elementary school in the middle of a neighborhood that didn't have sidewalks

:negative:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

thanks for reminding me that school is starting again and I'm going to get creamed by somone's sequoia when they're trying to text another wine mom

my neighbor drives her kids to school -- we live a few blocks from the school

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there are crosswalks in NOVA for streets with no sidewalks; at least they tried I guess :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It's not your fault. It was early in your career and I'm sure you've improved?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

there are crosswalks in NOVA for streets with no sidewalks; at least they tried I guess :shrug:

around here when an intersection that doesn't yet connect to sidewalks is rebuilt they'll often install the ramps in anticipation of a build out of the network.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

It's not your fault. It was early in your career and I'm sure you've improved?

lmao. nice.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ADINSX posted:

More cities should do something like this. There aren't enough incentives to ride motorcycles in Seattle, I think in america they're mostly seen as toys.

For small scooters I wish they would offer public bike racks.

in most places in the us riding a small scooter would be a death sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
https://www.boringcompany.com/dugout

boring co is building a tunnel that can transport a whopping 250,000 people per year. what an amazing transit revolution