Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

e: ok fine you can have it

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:siren:19 YO, currently in undergrad in US majoring in music ed to be a teacher. Coming out of school in 2 years with $100k in debt or so and know very little about repayment.:siren:

quote:

Knowing what I do about my profession, I will likely be earning $35-41k per year if/when I find a teaching job. I'm just looking for any advice at all on how to handle this much debt when I come out. I figure I'd want to find cheap housing/rent wherever I end up working, and live frugally until the debt is paid off. But I don't know how long that could take or what options I have. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
:stare:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ashcans posted:

Well, for one thing there are typically more humanities degrees awarded

I don’t read the graph the same way.

Humanities shows up at about 12%, but Engineering and Natural Sciences total to 20%.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Humanities degrees have jobs that pay in money and fulfillment of dreams, Engineers don’t have dreams so you have to pay them in money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Subjunctive posted:

Humanities shows up at about 12%, but Engineering and Natural Sciences total to 20%.

If you're going to combine those two you probably also have to lump fine and performing arts in with humanities.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Humanities degrees have jobs that pay in money and fulfillment of dreams, Engineers don’t have dreams so you have to pay them in money.

Same with consulting. We're just like engineers that didn't take years of calculus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CellBlock posted:

Same with consulting. We're just like engineers that didn't take years of calculus.

consultants aren't people though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're going to combine those two you probably also have to lump fine and performing arts in with humanities.

Well, STEM literally enumerates Science and Engineering, so it doesn’t feel much like a stretch (and I left out health because I don’t know what’s in there) to follow the poster’s language.

I’ve never heard of anyone describing performing arts as being the humanities. Is that a thing people do?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The issue is that a 18 year is asked to make a life decision involving literally 6 figures of debt, also told to do what makes One happy, and not having enough resources to make a good decision.

When I was 18, I would have thought this wasn’t a terrible idea. It’s just a difference frame of mind, and if you have never lived on your own, how the hell do you have an actual idea on money costs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Well, STEM literally enumerates Science and Engineering, so it doesn’t feel much like a stretch (and I left out health because I don’t know what’s in there) to follow the poster’s language.

I’ve never heard of anyone describing performing arts as being the humanities. Is that a thing people do?

I was more going for "degrees without a math science component that STEM people think are worthless" than any sort of coding. I wonder how actual math is coded in there. The term humanities is really vague anyway since most of the humanities exist on a continuum with social and behavioral sciences.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had a band teacher in high school that apparently left teaching after a couple of years and became an emergency surgeon instead. Good call.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

George H.W. oval office posted:

I had a band teacher in high school that apparently left teaching after a couple of years and became an emergency surgeon instead. Good call.

That's why it's important to be good with instruments

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

That's why it's important to be good with instruments

I figured they’d know their way around an organ or two.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Wolfy posted:

I know a guy who was still dumping thousands into BTC at like 9,000 then 8,000 and so forth. All the while he’s been saying things like, “if you’re scared of a little price dip, this isn’t the market for you.”

zaurg?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Krispy Wafer posted:

I figured they’d know their way around an organ or two.

Not to toot their horn, but they're pretty good.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Gourd with money more like "groans and punny" am i right guys

try the veal

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Music Ed also belies the fact that they probably needed to buy an instrument at least. A violinist I play with graduated with a bonus $20k in debt on account of purchasing a proper instrument to play.

I’m glad I play inexpensive instruments.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

metallicaeg posted:

Not to toot their horn, but they're pretty good.

All of these puns work for musicians, doctors, and prostitutes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

George H.W. oval office posted:

Went back to teaching after a poorly conceived xylophone gag

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

CellBlock posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

consultants aren't people though

What do you call consulting engineers?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

You have to pay people more if you want them to tolerate engineers

So true. My undergrad fraternity was half engineers and the lack of cooperative skills and imagination was painful. One guy refused to read or view fiction, for class or otherwise, because it wasn’t real. He bought a BMW Z4 the week after graduation for his 60k entry level job.

Another tried selling me on Vector MLM bullshit and almost dropped out of school for it. Luckily he met a girl who snapped him out of it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

I thought we were talking about engineers?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

howdoesishotweb posted:

So true. My undergrad fraternity was half engineers and the lack of cooperative skills and imagination was painful. One guy refused to read or view fiction, for class or otherwise, because it wasn’t real. He bought a BMW Z4 the week after graduation for his 60k entry level job.

Another tried selling me on Vector MLM bullshit and almost dropped out of school for it. Luckily he met a girl who snapped him out of it.

The Cutco knife company? Lol

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

A previous boss bragged he had flown to Germany to buy his 530i (or whatever it was), and I'm like, ok? Should that number mean something to me?

The European Delivery option on BMWs and other cars is actually kind of cool though. I'm not saying it's GWM necessarily, but you usually get a discount on the car and sometimes a credit towards airfare and housing. So you fly over there, literally pick up your car at the factory, get a factory tour, and then you can plan a whole vacation of driving your car around Europe before dropping it off at a port to be shipped to the US.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TrueChaos posted:

What do you call consulting engineers?

As infrequently as possible.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I thought we were talking about engineers?

How can you identify the extroverted engineer in the group?

They're looking at everyone else's shoes.

Thank you, I'll be here all night.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

19 o'clock posted:

Music Ed also belies the fact that they probably needed to buy an instrument at least. A violinist I play with graduated with a bonus $20k in debt on account of purchasing a proper instrument to play.

I’m glad I play inexpensive instruments.

Yeah the skin flute :boom:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Stemlord couldn't even a read and comprehend a simple graph, smdh.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This person's situation can still turn out OK if they get a public teaching job, go on IBR for 10 years, and cop that sweet, sweet untaxable loan forgiveness.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vox Nihili posted:

Stemlord couldn't even a read and comprehend a simple graph, smdh.

That’s what I get for stopping after high school.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

This person's situation can still turn out OK if they get a public teaching job, go on IBR for 10 years, and cop that sweet, sweet untaxable loan forgiveness.

What ever happened to that poo poo going on where the DOE was reneging on IBR forgiveness by claiming they weren't responsible for their outsourced contractor claiming jobs were covered by it that weren't? I'm not finding any recent articles on it. Pretty sure it never involved public school teachers, but it would still make me wary of placing my all my eggs in the IBR basket.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sundae posted:

What ever happened to that poo poo going on where the DOE was reneging on IBR forgiveness by claiming they weren't responsible for their outsourced contractor claiming jobs were covered by it that weren't? I'm not finding any recent articles on it. Pretty sure it never involved public school teachers, but it would still make me wary of placing my all my eggs in the IBR basket.

I haven't heard about that, but the qualification requirements are certainly pretty strict. For someone with $100k in student loan debt and a degree in any sort of education I would still expect it to be one of the better options available. It's a real program that people have already used to get out of their loan debt and the requirements, while strict, are pretty clearly laid out.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

There was a bunch of controversy of them aggressively enforcing the policies such that if someone screwed up the paperwork (like forgetting a signature on page 4/10 or something) they were on the hook and the grants turned into loans, is that what you're thinking of?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The issue was that there were some people who received approvals for their work with organizations that were supposed to qualify under the "public services" provision, but when then went to apply for the 10-year forgiveness, were told that they didn't qualify and that the previous approvals they had received were 'tentative' and not binding.

Notably, this happened to people who had worked with the ABA. If you are working directly with government or with a 501c3 it should be pretty cut and dry, but the 'public services' provision seems like a yawning gap that people may fall in, especially because apparently they can reverse decision without any recourse.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Barry posted:

Yeah the skin flute :boom:

Oh DAMMIT!!!!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Regardless of how it works for people with existing debt I am pretty sure the program doesn't work as a method for people still in school to pick a particular job that lets them make minimum payments until they can discharge it 10 years later.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only people who should be planning on PSLF are maybe like doctors or lawyers. Otherwise it's for when you accidentally end up with way more debt than you can reasonably pay off but happen to have decent prospects in government.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm kept up to date in the most smug fashion on how much I am expected to inherit :(

I don't like to think about my dad dying and if I'm lucky I'll have paid off my mortgage and student loans on schedule before I even have to deal with it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FAUXTON posted:

I'm kept up to date in the most smug fashion on how much I am expected to inherit :(

Say more! What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Is it nothing?