Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jmzero posted:

They must have a very high pick-score in draft too. I'd take them pretty early (for collection value) but they don't make it out of the first couple picks. This feels kind of lame - the bots should be trying to replicate a reasonably competitive draft, not rare drafting.

At the risk of conspiracy-crafting it feels like some cards are far more likely than others to appear. I posted earlier about getting 8 Josu Vess in a row and it feels like some other cards have a way higher chance of appearing (I've gotten a ton of Elder Dragons out of Dominaria, but have had to use wildcards for almost every Saga, eg)

It wouldn't really surprise me at all if dual lands were secretly less likely to appear than anything else. This may even be for a misguided but well-meaning reason ("Our data shows that new players aren't excited about opening lands")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit: oops!

Tainen fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The thing is though, since Arena has no real tournaments, who cares about the lost EV from good dual lands as opposed to taplands?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

The thing is though, since Arena has no real tournaments, who cares about Arena.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

evilweasel posted:

The thing is though, since Arena has no real tournaments, who cares about the lost EV from good dual lands as opposed to taplands?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that I shouldn't care about my deck being as consistent as possible just because "lmao Arena"? :confused:

Anyway, I gotta admit, the new Arena update today has made the client much faster. Games go by lightning fast now.

Also the matchmaking appears to be working better.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

precision posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that I shouldn't care about my deck being as consistent as possible just because "lmao Arena"? :confused:

Anyway, I gotta admit, the new Arena update today has made the client much faster. Games go by lightning fast now.

Also the matchmaking appears to be working better.

yeah, basically, because for the most part you're gonna have more fun making new decks than getting your deck just a biiiiiit more consistent and there's no real rewards for winning

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Bullshit. That would mean something went right and that's impossible and hope is a lie.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

precision posted:

At the risk of conspiracy-crafting it feels like some cards are far more likely than others to appear. I posted earlier about getting 8 Josu Vess in a row and it feels like some other cards have a way higher chance of appearing (I've gotten a ton of Elder Dragons out of Dominaria, but have had to use wildcards for almost every Saga, eg)

It wouldn't really surprise me at all if dual lands were secretly less likely to appear than anything else. This may even be for a misguided but well-meaning reason ("Our data shows that new players aren't excited about opening lands")

Nah, you're being weird and bad at stats. For an anecdote in the other direction, I've had drafts with 5 duals, and have gotten way more sagas than I want.

evilweasel posted:

yeah, basically, because for the most part you're gonna have more fun making new decks than getting your deck just a biiiiiit more consistent and there's no real rewards for winning

It's also fun to play proper Standard, like you would on MTGO, and the competitive league is fine until they remove it in a week.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i mean theres a point to be made on the merits of fine tuning your one deck versus being able to build a new one, but you dont have the option to do either so fine tuning your deck better be significantly more satisfying in a vacuum, and i am pretty sure it isnt.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Hell yeah. That’s the good stuff

https://twitter.com/basicmountain/status/1030162814831276032
https://twitter.com/calebdmtg/status/1030152097944268800
https://twitter.com/ondrejstrasky/status/1030155842602057729
https://twitter.com/SethManfield/status/1030161534394228736?s=20

Tainen fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Nah, you're being weird and bad at stats. For an anecdote in the other direction, I've had drafts with 5 duals, and have gotten way more sagas than I want.
It is known that for every set, everyone is assigned one card that they will get approximately 700 times over the life of that set. It is different for every person. (ask me how many The Eldest Reborn I got, completely unintentionally)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nah, you're being weird and bad at stats. For an anecdote in the other direction, I've had drafts with 5 duals, and have gotten way more sagas than I want

I mean maybe sure. I maintain that the likelihood of getting 8 Josu Vess in a row is so insanely unlikely that it's more believable that there was some buggy code. That's something like a 1/1.679616e+14 chance. That's about the odds of someone knocking on my door in the next 2 seconds and handing me a 8 mint condition Black Lotuses.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The hilarious part of the Magic Hall of Fame is that it's mostly important as a way to get people stop playing so much Magic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

The hilarious part of the Magic Hall of Fame is that it's mostly important as a way to get people stop playing so much Magic.

it sounds like for the apac dudes its now extremely important though

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

it sounds like for the apac dudes its now extremely important though

For the exact same reason, as far as I can tell. They don't want to have to play a bunch of Magic to play the highest level event.

The Magic Hall of Fame exists as a way to "reward" players for making very poor life decisions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i mean i think the apac dudes have to play every single available event which isnt really reasonable.

pro magic player isnt a great career but i am not gonna rag on these dudes because wotc wants to gently caress them over tremendously for no reason other than greed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

precision posted:

I mean maybe sure. I maintain that the likelihood of getting 8 Josu Vess in a row is so insanely unlikely that it's more believable that there was some buggy code. That's something like a 1/1.679616e+14 chance. That's about the odds of someone knocking on my door in the next 2 seconds and handing me a 8 mint condition Black Lotuses.

the odds of it happening to you, in particular, yes. the odds of something equally unlikely happening to someone posting in this thread? much, much, much higher

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
make the vault spit out full playsets of rare lands

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

i think part of the problem with the arena new player experience is that because of long rooted game design theres not like, cheap reliable common cards that go in multiple decks. there's no commons style "good stuff" deck you can just slap together with low level wildcards and have some variety. i dont think this shines through much now because of the stack of older mythics you start with, but that R/b starter style deck thats arena popular is chock full of mythics and would be something relatively expensive you'd have to build even though its a pretty good and strong "newbie deck."

like if you had to spend resources to build it and couldn't recoup them anywhere it would be something you'd have to consider a not insignificant investiture if you had to plop wild cards down on it. the solution is pretty simple but i legitimately just cant ever see them giving out a bunch of free stuff even if it's just to make it easier to play every rotation.

edit: its not even necessarily a "new player experience" issue because if you take a hiatus unless you had a massive stockpile you'll run into this issue if you want to start up again post rotation where at the bare minimum you'll need a pretty big stock of rare wildcards just for lands

Isn't the rarity % of decks incredibly skewed towards rare and mythic to a ludicrious degree? Isn't rare far and away the biggest % of a deck and has been for a while? If you designing cards in a set to makeup such a huge % of the constructed playable to be rare or better your new player experience is going to be pretty lackluster.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
hey now, they print Standard playable commons all the time like Negate, Essence Scatter, Duress and

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

precision posted:

The odds of you getting that rare in those 8 packs is astronomically low, but the odds of someone getting a run of 8 of the same rare at some point approaches 1.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 16, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mossyfisk posted:

hey now, they print Standard playable commons all the time like Negate, Essence Scatter, Duress and

Forest, swamp, island.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The odds of you getting that rare in those 8 packs is astronomically low, but the odds of someone getting a run of 8 of the same rare at some point approaches 1.

evilweasel posted:

the odds of it happening to you, in particular, yes. the odds of something equally unlikely happening to someone posting in this thread? much, much, much higher

Yes, I know how math works. There are like 20 people who post in this thread. That's not "much, much, much" higher.

Josu Vess is one of, what, 60-ish cards that could appear in that slot, right?

1/60 chance. Now think about the odds of rolling a 1 on a 60 sided dice 8 times. Now think about the odds of rolling a 1 on a 60 sided die 8 times consecutively (because I think you guys might be missing that I'm quite literally saying it happened 8 times in a row).

The odds of that are roughly 1 in 167,961,600,000,000. The odds do not increase very much if you say "Well, what if we look at all 20 people who post in this thread?!"

Like I said I'm totally willing to concede that I experience an event whose probability is so absurdly low, but I'm also willing to entertain the notion that notoriously bad at computers company WOTC had some weird issue going on with their software.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

precision posted:

Yes, I know how math works. There are like 20 people who post in this thread. That's not "much, much, much" higher.

1/60 chance. Now think about the odds of rolling a 1 on a 60 sided dice 8 times. Now think about the odds of rolling a 1 on a 60 sided die 8 times consecutively (because I think you guys might be missing that I'm quite literally saying it happened 8 times in a row).

The odds of that are roughly 1 in 167,961,600,000,000. The odds do not increase very much if you say "Well, what if we look at all 20 people who post in this thread?!"

Like I said I'm totally willing to concede that I experience an event whose probability is so absurdly low, but I'm also willing to entertain the notion that notoriously bad at computers company WOTC had some weird issue going on with their software.

Your math is very, very bad.

First, it's 7 times. To get the same rare eight times in a row when the chances of getting one specific rare are about 1/60, you need to hit that 1/60 seven times, not eight (because the first time just tells you what the card you're trying to get 8 of in a row is). Then, you have to ask yourself how many booster packs you have opened, so the question is not how likely is it that, right now, you will hit eight of the same rare in a row (which is your math), but how likely is it there is a sequence of eight of the same rare in a row if you line up all of your booster openings in a row. Then, you have to ask what other fantastically unlikely things might have happened instead that would seem bizarre (ten mythics in a row with no rares, say). You add all that stuff up, something seemingly not-random happening starts looking much more likely.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Forest, swamp, island.

This is just barely true - there's literally more Abrades in standard right now than there are Swamps. Plains are even worse - there's as many Teferis as there are Plains.

Mountains outnumber any other card 3-to-1 (it goes, Mountain->Forest->Island->Scrapheap Scrounger).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the odds of somebody cracking 8 josu vess in a row are exactly the same as anybody cracking any specific list of 8 rares in a row

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

evilweasel posted:

Your math is very, very bad.

First, it's 7 times. To get the same rare eight times in a row when the chances of getting one specific rare are about 1/60, you need to hit that 1/60 seven times, not eight (because the first time just tells you what the card you're trying to get 8 of in a row is). Then, you have to ask yourself how many booster packs you have opened, so the question is not how likely is it that, right now, you will hit eight of the same rare in a row (which is your math), but how likely is it there is a sequence of eight of the same rare in a row if you line up all of your booster openings in a row. Then, you have to ask what other fantastically unlikely things might have happened instead that would seem bizarre (ten mythics in a row with no rares, say). You add all that stuff up, something seemingly not-random happening starts looking much more likely.

You're not wrong but I can't believe how hard people stump for WOTC when math comes into the picture. We all know they suck at digital products. It was actually proven that the shuffler in Duels was doing weird/broken stuff. All I'm saying is isn't it possible that something glitched out

I know my math is bad but it's still an insanely unlikely thing to happen and it's kinda funny seeing you guys try to tell me it's not. :)

dragon enthusiast posted:

the odds of somebody cracking 8 josu vess in a row are exactly the same as anybody cracking any specific list of 8 rares in a row

Yes and those odds are insanely low.

edit: I'm done with this silly derail, and I'm not saying that to be a prick or to get the last word, I just honestly do not have the patience for these "well actually it's super likely that this happened" arguments. I'm not talking about drawing 8 lands in a row here.

precision fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 16, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the only reason you think it's glitched is cause are dumb lizard brains assign meaning to patterns

if the rng was unfairly biased to always spit out 8 different rares, or never spit out josu vess because the system detected you would put down a reverse mortgage to crack one, it wouldn't even have registered as a blip on your radar

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

make the vault spit out full playsets of rare lands

I don't get why they don't simply make them guaranteed rewards from various events that have individual card rewards. Like, if you spend the coins to go through a Quick Constructed, just throw a goddamn rare land out or make the rare lands much more likely to pop through those - it gets people playing and the rewards are at least guaranteed not to be total loving poo poo..

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I was all set to play Arena because I just got another Vault unlock, but then when updating I caught it trying to delete my Program Files. Guess it's going in a time-out until I see the fix on some patch release notes

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get why they don't simply make them guaranteed rewards from various events that have individual card rewards. Like, if you spend the coins to go through a Quick Constructed, just throw a goddamn rare land out or make the rare lands much more likely to pop through those - it gets people playing and the rewards are at least guaranteed not to be total loving poo poo..

I feel like the people over the economy are applying paper economy logic. So much of what is still going on reeks of treating it like a TCG instead of what it is. Its going to make the game a flop if they don't pull up before launch.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Don't get defensive. It's one of the very unintuitive parts of stats, lots of people struggle with it. It's called the Clustering Illusion, but a lot of other cognitive biases feed into it too.

The fact remains it is pretty likely. You can't use getting a streak of the same rare as evidence for speculating about a conspiracy that Arena has suppressed rates of dual lands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

At least we can all agree that I lose like 2/3 of my games to mana issues and that IS because of a glitch in Arena (and IRL.)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Don't get defensive. It's one of the very unintuitive parts of stats, lots of people struggle with it. It's called the Clustering Illusion, but a lot of other cognitive biases feed into it too.

The fact remains it is pretty likely. You can't use getting a streak of the same rare as evidence for speculating about a conspiracy that Arena has suppressed rates of dual lands.

I don't know why so many people are arguing with the guy. 1/52^7 is so minuscule it very likely demonstrates a problem somewhere.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

precision posted:

The thing about statistics is, the odds of a specific thing happening in the future is 1 in n, but the odds that something in the past happened in the past is 1 in 1.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't know why so many people are arguing with the guy. 1/52^7 is so minuscule it very likely demonstrates a problem somewhere.

This is a bad argument because the relevant probability is whether "something fishy occurs while I'm playing", not "something fishy occurs in these eight packs"

However, the conclusion might still be right because you need an absurd number of packs opened to hit even a 1% chance of opening the same rare eight times in a row--something like 50 billion packs

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
of course the real answer is probably that he didn't actually open the same rare 8 packs in a row, just several of them in the same week

but in my case opponents really do get turn 3 Tron 100% of the time

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

1 is not 0

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's like winning the lottery twice. That isn't evidence that the lottery isn't random, it's evidence that given enough instances of a very low chance of an event happening, it eventually happens. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/03/this-north-carolina-woman-just-won-the-lottery-twice-in-one-day.html

1/52^7 is the chance that any given pack is followed by seven packs with the same rare. You need to multiply that chance by the number of packs that have at least 7 packs of the same kind following them to get the chance of someone pulling 8 of the same rares in a row.

And as far as "this isn't random!" also by the chance of any other interesting pattern happening - 4 of one rare followed by 4 of another, alternating rares, 4 double rares in a row, etc.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's also the exact same chance as any other non-interesting pattern of 8 rares in 8 packs.