Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

bradzilla posted:

I bought the remake of the original and it is indeed garbage.

lol do you mean you actually paid money for THPS HD or the version that came out on the original xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I paid money for THPS HD :negative:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Both Two Worlds games are good and cool.
Forsooth, the Taint!

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
guy fighting batman: hmm let's use robot tanks against the guy who doesnt kill people, instead of having one of our dudes drive them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AGGGGH BEES posted:

guy fighting batman: hmm let's use robot tanks against the guy who doesnt kill people, instead of having one of our dudes drive them

I don’t care what detective vision says I saw how some of those guys got taken out unconscious my rear end

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I mean dead is unconscious...

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't know this is popular, unpopular, or what. I think mostly it's duh, but here goes:

I am playing WoW again after breaking for quite a number of years, although I was around when they first introduced dungeon finder.

It is loving astonishing how asocial WoW is now. You don't really need to talk to another player at any time or engage in any activity that promotes player interactivity (even AH stuff). Running a dungeon takes like 15 minutes. They've vastly improved how visually interesting and varied the zones are, but also the game is now 100% about following the DMNPC characters.

I miss when queuing for an instance was a commitment of some kind, and moving through an instance took any planning or discipline. (I don't miss, like, the mage being the waterboy or people trying to keep hunters out of groups). But the game is so watered down now.

This is why I still enjoy Final fantasy 11 more than 14. Only the highest level raids in 14 require any coordination.

I miss setting up skill chains, magic bursts and trick attacks. Waiting hours for a party sometimes sucked balls, but when you got a good one together and exp came rolling in it was really satisfying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I only have one rule *shatters several of your vertebrae, crippling you for life*

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

This is why I still enjoy Final fantasy 11 more than 14. Only the highest level raids in 14 require any coordination.

I miss setting up skill chains, magic bursts and trick attacks. Waiting hours for a party sometimes sucked balls, but when you got a good one together and exp came rolling in it was really satisfying.

Skill chains, magic bursts, and trick attacks didn't exist anymore after Abyssea. Neither did traditional xp parties.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Everquest was the only good mmorpg

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
There was never a good mmorpg, they were all bad, people sometimes idealize whichever one they played first but their first was still bad

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

World of Warcraft was a lot of fun and I don't regret playing it at all.

In vanilla anyway, the expansions were all forgettable, not really because of their content but because the wider world ended up compartmentalizing and diluting the game, and like someone said earlier the social aspect got lost.

I don't get why you all hate MMOs that much. Did you never try to gather a group of strangers to head over to Scholomance and try to beat it with lots of funny CC mishaps and people bitching about the ret paladin in the team? It was really fun.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 17, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i went back and played the legion expansion for half a year in 2016. and their 5 and 20 man dungeons were well designed and fun and snappier than they were compared to back when i last played in tbc. the larger community feeling from the release era is long gone. but guilds are still very intimate. wow is the best game on blizzard's roster by far at the moment.

Zane fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 17, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zane posted:

wow is the best game on blizzard's roster by far at the moment.

This is not lofty praise.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
true enough.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Shibawanko posted:

I don't get why you all hate MMOs that much. Did you never try to gather a group of strangers to head over to Scholomance and try to beat it with lots of funny CC mishaps and people bitching about the ret paladin in the team? It was really fun.

they're skinner boxes that you pay a monthly fee to enter, require you to schedule your life around them in order to be successful at them, and are designed to be as addictive as possible

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oblivion loving sucked.

The game was boring and the map design was confusing where to go. The graphics were terrible as well. Like yeah draw distances are nice but not when they have literal N64 muddy textures.

This but every Bethesda open world RPG. It's just wandering through giant areas killing monsters with really terrible feeling boring combat so you can help some dumb farmer find his magic
pitchfork or some stupid poo poo. No matter which game series we're talking about the lore involved is just a hodgepodge of genre cliches. The only suspense you ever get from any of these games is the suspense of wondering whether what's happening in front of you is a game ending glitch or just a fun little bug that we are all just supposed to accept as the norm for Bethesda games in particular even though they've been making the exact same loving type of game for nearly 20 years now and haven't figured out basic poo poo like making sure quest vital NPCs don't die forever. Bethesda games have to autosave literally every time you enter or exit a door because there's a virtual certainty that just about 1 and 10 times you walk through a door you will cause a bug that will irreparably destroy your game.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

olives black posted:

they're skinner boxes that you pay a monthly fee to enter, require you to schedule your life around them in order to be successful at them, and are designed to be as addictive as possible

I just killed a boss in wow

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Seriously, I know "open world for 2005" and poo poo, but jesus christ! Nintendo 64 is back!

I was convinced that my computer was too weak to run the game. I only just found out like a few days ago, that no, the game actually looks THAT bad.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

See that mountain there? You can go there.
Now of course, there's literally nothing interesting to do or see there other than a tiger that will kill you on sight but won't give you any meaningful loot for killing it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Shibawanko posted:

World of Warcraft was a lot of fun and I don't regret playing it at all.

In vanilla anyway, the expansions were all forgettable, not really because of their content but because the wider world ended up compartmentalizing and diluting the game, and like someone said earlier the social aspect got lost.

I played WOW and had fun, too. You can have fun playing a bad game, hell you can have fun shoveling horse poo poo if you've got some good friends doing it with you. Game's still bad, though

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 17, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What was so poo poo about wow though? I remember plenty of interesting moments, trying to bodypull mobs selectively, de-aggroing, trying to solo Hogger by fearing him around as a warlock and stuff like that, most of the non-grindy questlines were also pretty well written and the combat itself was fun enough that I didn't mind the grindquests that much, and there were plenty of instances to break up the grind. It was an expensive game to play but there was nothing really like it when it came out (except more esoteric and brutal mmo's which nobody wanted to play).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
yeah a lot of games didn't give you quests to go kill 50 monsters in a field and then come back for some trash item, that's true

game was bad because it didn't respect the player's time, which is the entire point of MMOs

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Titanfall 2 is so loving good that I bought it for my PC, PS4 and XBone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

Titanfall 2 is so loving good that I bought it for my PC, PS4 and XBone.

It would also be perfect for switch!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

zimbomonkey posted:

I just killed a boss in wow

X x x x oh snap I just beat a platformer!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

you just got owned!!!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Bust Rodd posted:

I went through the same thing with WoW like 4 years ago. I raided super seriously from Burning Crusade through Ulduar and then went back a little bit after Warlords of Draenor and was shocked at how they’d removed all the talent points and so on. Everything that made the game engaging was gone. Playing it now is basically just watching a cartoon.

The removal of the classic talent system (and the associated change to choosing an entire spec) is one of the best changes they’ve ever made to wow. Talent choices weren’t meaningful. Abilities were mandatory and everything else was just invisible stat boosts, and there was always a clear “best” cookie cutter build.

In modern wow every spec of a class has entirely different gameplay and abilities than every other and talent choices give you the ability to slightly modify your gameplay on the fly in meaningful ways for individual situations. It’s light years better and the only reason anyone laments the loss of the old talent system is because it’s what they were used to.

If you’re looking for what killed the spirit of what made wow fun in the first years, you want cross-server group finder.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A. Beaverhausen posted:

X x x x oh snap I just beat a platformer!

Well yeah, performers are even worse than mmos

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dross posted:

If you’re looking for what killed the spirit of what made wow fun in the first years, you want cross-server group finder everyone growing up and not having time to sit around doing nothing for an hour, and then needing another hour on top to attempt a dungeon. Also half the population isn't walking across the barrens for questing with nothing to do but post memes.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

olives black posted:

Dude just described every game ever.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

a new study bible! posted:

Dude just described every game ever.

I can pay $20 once for a copy of Doom 2 or Quake, have thousands of hours of free mod content at my disposal, pick them up any time I want, and be done with them in an hour once the adrenaline wears off

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Shibawanko posted:

What was so poo poo about wow though?

This was just my experience, and it may not even apply anymore because this was years ago, but I could never get into WoW because it pigeonholes you on how you can only be certain classes on certain races and couldn't be horde or alliance on certain races, and especially how you had to completely make a new character for each class you wanted to play. Like, I can understand wanting to restrict a few things for the sake of "lore" but holy gently caress how lazy is your writing team to not accommodate an unusual character combination? Especially in a game where you want people to roleplay.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

olives black posted:

I can pay $20 once for a copy of Doom 2 or Quake

I think you might be getting ripped off

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

zimbomonkey posted:

See that mountain there? You can go there.
Now of course, there's literally nothing interesting to do or see there other than a tiger that will kill you on sight but won't give you any meaningful loot for killing it.

I'm not particularly into open-world but there is a kind of thrill in seeing a mountain or building in the background in a cutscene and knowing it's not just a skybox and I could go over there if I wanted to

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

2house2fly posted:

I'm not particularly into open-world but there is a kind of thrill in seeing a mountain or building in the background in a cutscene and knowing it's not just a skybox and I could go over there if I wanted to

There was in like 2009

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

olives black posted:

they're skinner boxes that you pay a monthly fee to enter,

You only sometimes need to pay a monthly fee though to be fair the ones that don't require one usually have a monetization scheme that sucks the soul out of the game (see: Guild Wars 2)

olives black posted:

require you to schedule your life around them in order to be successful at them,

lol no

WoW has gone out of its way to make sure this is something that only the most hardcore no-lifers have to care about. Unless "successful" to you means "having the highest numbers which will not get you anything more than slightly lower numbers will." If your definition of "successful" is "I logged in and had some fun," WoW does quite a lot to make that possible now without you having to schedule your whole life around it. Like even if you want to check out the raids you can do that without scheduling it. It'll be easy mode raids but you can still go gently caress around in them. And raids are dumb anyway

Some MMOs are still garbage in this way but most of the actually popular ones aren't.

olives black posted:

and are designed to be as addictive as possible

Yeah but what games aren't these days

Like this is true and bad but it's also a criticism that applies to literally any game with a multiplayer component and a good number of the ones without

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The first half of the previous generation (2005-2009) sucked.

There were few quality games, especially for the HD twin consoles. So many disappointing titles like Metal Gear Solid IV, Street Fighter IV, and Bioshock. That generation really didn't get rolling until 2010 with the release of games like Fallout: New Vegas, Bayonetta, and Metro 2033.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 17, 2018

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mmo hotbar combat is goddamn miserable though, you wow nerds can say nothing to dispute that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

This was just my experience, and it may not even apply anymore because this was years ago, but I could never get into WoW because it pigeonholes you on how you can only be certain classes on certain races and couldn't be horde or alliance on certain races, and especially how you had to completely make a new character for each class you wanted to play. Like, I can understand wanting to restrict a few things for the sake of "lore" but holy gently caress how lazy is your writing team to not accommodate an unusual character combination? Especially in a game where you want people to roleplay.

I think they'd argue that ensuring that character/class combinations make at least some sense for the ~lore~ enhances roleplay rather than detracting from it. That said I'm reasonably sure they also don't give a poo poo if people roleplay.

The faction split is bad but it's never going away and that's one of the things that's always going to hold WoW back. Best case scenario maybe they'll one day allow cross-faction PvE groups and guilds because there is exactly zero reason not to, even in the ~*~lore~*~ because the Horde and Alliance canonically team up against world-ending threats like every loving expansion