Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Handsome Ralph posted:

Christ did any of you ever follow white collar criminal proceedings before today or this your first?

Cause a bunch of you are chicken littleing over what really amounts to common judge nitpicks against prosecutors and defense attorneys alike. Toxx if you're so confident Manafort's gonna walk or get a slap on the wrist.

Just gonna quote this again because lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Counting on Mueller to get them out of it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've just been hurt so many times in the last couple years.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'll take that action. Non-perma ban?

It's not so much confidence, it's that the events of today, I've seen it happen before with other trials.

The Bundy's getting off was mostly due to the prosecutorial equivalent of going for a Harlem Globetrotters style dunk when a layup was all that was needed to get the job done. I don't see that happening here.

Are you still willing to take this toxx?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah! More time to plan my AT around it!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

I’d imagine you can smuggle massive amounts of contraband in the panel gaps alone

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

boop the snoot posted:

Are you still willing to take this toxx?

Yep.

Hot Karl Marx and I reaffirmed our toxxes a page ago. But for the record, Manafort doesn't walk out of that court room a free man when the jury reaches a verdict. If he does, I'll eat a weeks probation. :toxx: I'm not foolhardy enough to toxx whether he gets convicted on all 18 counts or only a couple counts though.

There's a part of me that wants to believe Mattis is doing this on purpose because he thinks the whole thing is retarded, sees the possible writing on the wall and lol at a democratic congress letting this thing just happen without any push back.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hopefully it will quietly go away and the chuds pretend it never came up in the first place to save face.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

There's a part of me that wants to believe Mattis is doing this on purpose because he thinks the whole thing is retarded, sees the possible writing on the wall and lol at a democratic congress letting this thing just happen without any push back.

If I've learned one thing in my military career it's when your boss wants you to do something stupid just do the minimum amount of work to show :effort: and delay it until he forgets or leaves.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
On one hand it's the hundred year anniversary of the end of world war 1, so I can almost see an argument for a parade. On the other hand no one has actually made that argument and instead it's driven solely by Trump's desire to stroke his ego. He's literally the reason we can't have nice things.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Apparently this being cancelled to next year is making Q people nuts cause there's a post saying 11/11/18 is important

edit:

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1030247048543653888

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well it kinda is

As Nero Danced posted:

it's the hundred year anniversary of the end of world war 1

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thank goodness we finished fighting the last war ever a century ago.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Apparently this being cancelled to next year is making Q people nuts cause there's a post saying 11/11/18 is important

edit:

Brainworms are a hell of a thing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

On one hand it's the hundred year anniversary of the end of world war 1, so I can almost see an argument for a parade. On the other hand no one has actually made that argument and instead it's driven solely by Trump's desire to stroke his ego. He's literally the reason we can't have nice things.
Donnie trying to plan a solemn occasion would be the worst thing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

edit:

Looking forward to the cult revelation of the "real truth" that proves everyone wrong.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/wiredsources/status/1030206172589182976?s=21

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like Q is doing a whole lot of projecting...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The people that believe in Q won't accept anything but their perceived reality of them. Literally nothing will convince these people, even though it's most likely that 4channer that got discovered yesterday, sixteen years ago in Trump time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Judicial Watch was given classified information by a congressman from California

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Judicial Watch: Really focused on the real issues.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LOCK HER UP

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Manafort doesn't walk out of that court room a free man when the jury reaches a verdict.

Because he's been jailed on the DC Circuit case.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

joat mon posted:

Because he's been jailed on the DC Circuit case.

Lol I kinda forgot about that.

Like he actually gets a convicted at this trial (presumably sentencing won't happen for awhile).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1030270284245467136?s=21

k

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

As Nero Danced posted:

The hundred year anniversary of the War to End All Wars should be commemorated by a black clad caisson and taps, nothing more.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The hundred year anniversary of the War to End All Wars should be commemorated by a black clad caisson and taps, nothing more.

Honestly the British had it right to call it Remembrance Day. Celebrating WWI as anything resembling a victory is..short sited at best. It was an utterly pointless slaughter of millions of people, left the world in far worse shape, and set the stage for round two only twenty years later.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The hundred year anniversary of the war to end all wars should be a parade by the people who fought in the war that will never end.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Honestly the British had it right to call it Remembrance Day. Celebrating WWI as anything resembling a victory is..short sited at best. It was an utterly pointless slaughter of millions of people, left the world in far worse shape, and set the stage for round two only twenty years later.

We do Remembrance day here in Aus, and it's the most solemn day on the calendar, with a minute of silence at 11:11. It remains true to its intent, and is a good example of what a day of remembrance should be.

Unlike Anzac day, which has become a politicised national day of making GBS threads on the left by nationalists and conservatives seeking to co-opt what used to be a day of remembrance of the time the UK wasted 2000 of us by throwing us against a couple companies of Ottoman machine gunners.

Everyone involved is dead, so it's become corrupted by people who claim to speak for them.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This will finally bring down the Clinton Administration

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Don Dongington posted:

We do Remembrance day here in Aus, and it's the most solemn day on the calendar, with a minute of silence at 11:11. It remains true to its intent, and is a good example of what a day of remembrance should be.

Unlike Anzac day, which has become a politicised national day of making GBS threads on the left by nationalists and conservatives seeking to co-opt what used to be a day of remembrance of the time the UK wasted 2000 of us by throwing us against a couple companies of Ottoman machine gunners.

Everyone involved is dead, so it's become corrupted by people who claim to speak for them.

I guess you guys have your own version of "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS" too.

This might be going way off topic and it predates the great war a bit but you reminded me of something I read about a year or so ago, are Australians still pressing the Breaker Morant thing?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

I guess you guys have your own version of "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS" too.

This might be going way off topic and it predates the great war a bit but you reminded me of something I read about a year or so ago, are Australians still pressing the Breaker Morant thing?

This is actually the first I've heard of it.

Also yeah, we do have a fair bit of ARE TROOPs but only ever around national holidays; when it comes to actually dealing with veteran's PTSD, or having mature adult discussions over what we're doing poking hornets nests in the desert, everybody goes suspiciously quiet.

Also over the last few months, someone has been blowing the lid on a whole lotta war/hate crime allegations against the SAS in Afghanistan, which again, curiously nobody wants to talk about. We really are just US-Lite most of the time.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Kind of figured, it's a weird historical case that I imagine some politicians might drag up every now and then to score points about "Australia first" or something like that, merits or demerits of the case notwithstanding.

I have to agree though, the more I learn about Australia it sounds like America with cooler accents and crazier animals.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

For what it's worth I was at the cenotaph for anzac day this year, and our prime minister just silently laid a wreath. Didn't make the day about her or what she had to say. I respected that a lot.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

For what it's worth I was at the cenotaph for anzac day this year, and our prime minister just silently laid a wreath. Didn't make the day about her or what she had to say. I respected that a lot.

Your PM is loving awesome.

Ours is a goddamn merchant banking lawyer, and the two guys that want his job are an ex-cop known for authorising hate crimes against asylum seekers and the last one, who made said hate crimes policy in the first place.

Edit: But I guess neither of them are a loving cheeto so there's that

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Dead veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars who have been turned into memes for Trump can probably sympathize. You know, if they weren't dead.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I always thought this was a great take on it. Note the author died in battle shortly after.

code:
 The Parable of the Old Man and the Young
Wilfred Owen, 1893 - 1918

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife.
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
and builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretchèd forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram, caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.

But the old man would not so, but slew his son,
And half the seed of Europe, one by one.
Pretty good 'gently caress you' to the leadership if you know the original bible story it refers to.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Pretty sure the whole commonwealth has rememberance day, cause in Canada it is the exact same situation. I really like the war memorial my city has to remember the wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jDBVIhty0

edit: oh poo poo, the guy who made it also designed the huge Vimy Ridge memorial Canada has in France

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Pretty sure the whole commonwealth has rememberance day, cause in Canada it is the exact same situation. I really like the war memorial my city has to remember the wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jDBVIhty0

edit: oh poo poo, the guy who made it also designed the huge Vimy Ridge memorial Canada has in France

Americans get a free bloomin onion at Outback Steakhouse. I don't think we're doing this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Flikken posted:

Americans get a free bloomin onion at Outback Steakhouse. I don't think we're doing this right.

:capitalism:

• Locked thread