Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I seen War for Planet of the Apes tonight and after you find out why The Colonel had killed certain soldiers due to the mutated Simian Flu the film didn't need to have a character turn around and say "oh so that's why Nova was off with some random soldier" They let you understand what must have happened by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ya I appreciated that too. Also Woody chewed the hell outta that scenery

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah he was very good. The whole trilogy has a lot of excellent moments, the opening of the second one where it goes for ages with just apes signing occasionally and no dialogue rules. I also liked how distinct they managed to make all the apes without making them look unlike apes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted has all the energy of SuperMechaGodzilla without the schizophrenia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's not exactly subtle but I didn't pick up for YEARS that in Batman 89, Nicholson's Joker appearing without the white face was actually the character's makeup and not the other way around. Not even sure when I finally picked up on that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What did you think was happening when he mps his brow and it comes away white?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think he was still catatonic from a critical overdose of Tim Burton's garish 80s flair.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I have prosopagnosia so in the reverse I completely missed heath ledger in the dark knight without makeup until a friend pointed it out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not exactly subtle but I didn't pick up for YEARS that in Batman 89, Nicholson's Joker appearing without the white face was actually the character's makeup and not the other way around. Not even sure when I finally picked up on that.

I'd hope it was the scene where Vicky lobbed water in his face and he did the "I'M MELTING!!!" cause... goddamn dude.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I have prosopagnosia so in the reverse I completely missed heath ledger in the dark knight without makeup until a friend pointed it out.

To be fair, that is a pretty quick shot and they don't linger on the fact that it's the Joker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

What did you think was happening when he mps his brow and it comes away white?

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair, that is a pretty quick shot and they don't linger on the fact that it's the Joker.

I don't know. I guess my dumb rear end thought he was applying white make up and just sort of read it the other way around. Look, I said it was irrational.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know. I guess my dumb rear end thought he was applying white make up and just sort of read it the other way around. Look, I said it was irrational.

I’m pretty sure the “effect” was done by having him apply white makeup on, to make it look like he was wiping the flesh makeup off. It was clever but didn’t really look like he was wiping anything off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

A minor one from Deadpool 2.

When Cable goes back in time to save Deadpool, he changes one line of dialogue. His response to Deadpool asking about his teddy bear goes from:

"It's not dirt. It's the blood of my dead daughter."

to:

"It's my daughter's bear. Her name's hope."

Past to present tense, because the second time round he knows he's going to save her.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I’m pretty sure the “effect” was done by having him apply white makeup on, to make it look like he was wiping the flesh makeup off. It was clever but didn’t really look like he was wiping anything off.
No, they actually did paint Nicholson white, applied a layer of silicon oil, then very lightly applied the flesh colour on top. I just happened to catch this featurette the other day that goes into it a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4TgvtbvHc&t=210s

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

jabby posted:

A minor one from Deadpool 2.

When Cable goes back in time to save Deadpool, he changes one line of dialogue. His response to Deadpool asking about his teddy bear goes from:

"It's not dirt. It's the blood of my dead daughter."

to:

"It's my daughter's bear. Her name's hope."

Past to present tense, because the second time round he knows he's going to save her.

My reading was that she was already saved because they were on the right path. She didn't die in a horrible fire in this timeline. It actually made me wonder why Cable went back in time in the first place or why he would remember it since the future was already fixed. I swear the teddy bear went from being beat to poo poo and burned to looking like a normal teddy bear the second time around.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If there’s one thing you can always count on making sense it’s X-Men time travel stories.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

My reading was that she was already saved because they were on the right path. She didn't die in a horrible fire in this timeline. It actually made me wonder why Cable went back in time in the first place or why he would remember it since the future was already fixed. I swear the teddy bear went from being beat to poo poo and burned to looking like a normal teddy bear the second time around.

That's just your standard time travel paradox. And yeah, the bear goes from burned to not-burned at the moment Deadpool sacrifices himself. Both times.

My other subtle moment was Deadpool slamming each X-force team photo into his wall with a knife, apart from Domino's which he carefully puts in place with a thumbtack. Lucky her. Ditto for when she criticises Deadpool's plan and he ends up yelling at Peter instead.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

What i dont get in deadpool 2 is why they didnt just take the collar off him at the end and let him heal, meaning cable wouldn't need to travel back in time? They seemed to suggest it was impossible to take off but it fell off of its own accord in the prison scene? And they could have "luckily" guessed the combination anyway

Wait this isn't the irrationally irritating thread

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NtotheTC posted:

What i dont get in deadpool 2 is why they didnt just take the collar off him at the end and let him heal, meaning cable wouldn't need to travel back in time? They seemed to suggest it was impossible to take off but it fell off of its own accord in the prison scene? And they could have "luckily" guessed the combination anyway

They didn't do what you suggest in the spoiler, because DP tells them not to. It's what he wants. It's what he spends the start of the movie trying to achieve. I'll go ahead and spoiler this Deadpool wants to die so he can be with Vanessa(?)in heaven or the afterlife or whatever. But because he can't die due to his powers, that can't happen.

If you want to get kind of subtle, she tells him that they can't be together because "His heart isn't in the right place". When he dies, it's because he's shot in the heart as he dives to save the kid. Meaning that physically, his heart had to be in the right place.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

They didn't do what you suggest in the spoiler, because DP tells them not to. It's what he wants. It's what he spends the start of the movie trying to achieve. I'll go ahead and spoiler this Deadpool wants to die so he can be with Vanessa(?)in heaven or the afterlife or whatever. But because he can't die due to his powers, that can't happen.

If you want to get kind of subtle, she tells him that they can't be together because "His heart isn't in the right place". When he dies, it's because he's shot in the heart as he dives to save the kid. Meaning that physically, his heart had to be in the right place.

OK sure so why, if deadpool said "let me die" did cable go back and save him in the first place? Kind of a dick move. And if you're going to be a dick and go against his wishes, just take the collar off and save breaking your watch thing.

Hell, give him 5 minutes of death to talk to Vanessa and figure poo poo out and THEN take the collar off so he comes back to life?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

NtotheTC posted:

OK sure so why, if deadpool said "let me die" did cable go back and save him in the first place? Kind of a dick move. And if you're going to be a dick and go against his wishes, just take the collar off and save breaking your watch thing.

Hell, give him 5 minutes of death to talk to Vanessa and figure poo poo out and THEN take the collar off so he comes back to life?

Cable saw a nobility and selflessness in DP that DP didn't see in himself. Cable thought he deserved to live, not kill himself because he was depressed and knew that the kid DP just saved needed him as a father figure or whatever.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NtotheTC posted:

My impression is that Cable didn't really make his mind up until after DP was dead.

Plus even though Colossus could've ripped the collar off and Domino could have lucked it off, Cable had no way to get it off himself. Colossus had already backed off from doing it, and Cable seems like the type to take the lone wolf approach rather than ask one of them.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Plus you never really have to be in a rush to decide anything when you possess a motherfucking time machine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I could be mistaken but I think that the collars were also rigged to explode if hosed around with, so ripping off or shooting off are not such great ideas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I could be mistaken but I think that the collars were also rigged to explode if hosed around with, so ripping off or shooting off are not such great ideas.

If it deactivated the explosion wouldn't matter for Deadpool.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Clearly not very well, seeing as DP's original prison collar comes off when Cable accidentally shoots it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven't seen it since the theaters, but doesn't the movie open with him getting decapitated? He could survive that once he's put back together I would think. Unless there was a reason I don't remember, because I don't remember that being a plot hole.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I haven't seen it since the theaters, but doesn't the movie open with him getting decapitated? He could survive that once he's put back together I would think. Unless there was a reason I don't remember, because I don't remember that being a plot hole.

I don’t think they’ve determined how much Deadpool Deadpool can lose before Deadpool is Deadpool no more.

He can definitely survive a decapitation. Not sure if he can survive liquidization or purée.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don’t think they’ve determined how much Deadpool Deadpool can lose before Deadpool is Deadpool no more.

He can definitely survive a decapitation. Not sure if he can survive liquidization or purée.

Whatever the plot demands.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Whatever is funnier

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

He survived decapatation in Wolverine Orgins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=onvfnqj-LbI

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

His healing is better than Wolverine's and that motherfucker came back from a drop of blood AND KEPT HIS METAL SKELETON.

Comics are so loving dumb.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That confused me because it seems like brain damage impacts Deadpool more than other trauma. He starts hallucinating when knives get stuck in his noggin. That would imply he needs to keep his head at least partially intact.

Then again I know nothing of comics and had no idea the big guy with the metal helmet is somehow unstoppable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

That confused me because it seems like brain damage impacts Deadpool more than other trauma. He starts hallucinating when knives get stuck in his noggin. That would imply he needs to keep his head at least partially intact.

He can suffer brain damage but it will heal once the object is removed.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thats also the explanation for his insanity and mood swings. The turbo-cancer is constantly loving with him and making bits of his brain suffer from dementia or alzhiemers or whatever, but is healing the damage just as quickly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In the movies he was pretty much just as weird before the experiments and megacancer as he was after

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Krispy Wafer posted:

the big guy with the metal helmet
That would be the Juggernaut, bitch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

His healing is better than Wolverine's and that motherfucker came back from a drop of blood AND KEPT HIS METAL SKELETON.

Comics are so loving dumb.

The wolverine vs nitro fight where that happened was what got me to be like “goddamit, REALLY?” and get annoyed with the fact wolverine was in basically every comic franchise at the time.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
In the comics he also is literally cursed not to die because Thanos didn't like how Deadpool was muscling in on his girl. Who happened to be Death. As in the literal personification of Death, and the entire Infinity War happened because he was going to make Death-sempai notice him.

I love how American comics walk a fine line between amazing and stupid, it's like a drug to me and I always keep coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

Then again I know nothing of comics and had no idea the big guy with the metal helmet is somehow unstoppable.

It's not the helmet, it's the crazy crystal inside

Or maybe it's in his chest

or maybe literally in his brain

Also he's the step-brother of Professor X

One time he was a hero

Comics are dumb