Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
And I just bought it. I now have two different copies of City of Stairs on Kindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

Recently went through Orconomics and its sequel Son of a Liche, didn't know how much I wanted some self-aware fantasy parodying modern capitalism until now. Fantastic series so far.

Orconomics is currently 2.99 and Son of a Liche is currently $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2NDJ2M/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

https://www.amazon.com/Liche-Dark-Profit-Saga-Book-ebook/dp/B07BJLMZ5W

Orconomics was good, I'm about to start Son of a Liche!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sulphagnist posted:

This is a criminally low price, I've read the first two and I paid 2.99 just to have the third one and to have them all on kindle.

I feel robbed. I bought them all at regular Kindle price.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Orconomics is currently 2.99 and Son of a Liche is currently $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2NDJ2M/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

https://www.amazon.com/Liche-Dark-Profit-Saga-Book-ebook/dp/B07BJLMZ5W

Orconomics was good, I'm about to start Son of a Liche!

I read and really enjoyed Orconomics--a lot more than I expected to. The whole business with the Orcs and their sales tactics was the best bit for me. I have Son of a Liche but haven't dug into it yet. As much as I make fun of fantasy tropes, self-aware fantasy often gets grating over time along with both author and characters being very smug about how smart they are. This one managed to avoid a lot of that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XBenedict posted:

I feel robbed. I bought them all at regular Kindle price.

Don’t be. The author gets more royalties at the regular price.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat. I already own em but glad there's a sale. He's a good writer even if he did block me on Twitter.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

He also ran away from SA in a huff?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Proteus Jones posted:

Don’t be. The author gets more royalties at the regular price.

Bennett said on twitter what he gets hasn't changed, the publisher's probably just using this to gin up publicity for the new book

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I peeked in the R Scott Bakker thread and what started as an interesting grimdark fantasy apparently ended in a wet fart where nothing mattered, so. I guess I'm never gonna finish it, oh well.

There's still two more books, so maybe he'll pull something interesting out of it.

But given that book 7 is apparently the focal point of the series, the bit he'd been planning since he was loving 19.... I'm not sure we're getting anything better than "lol nihilism"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really liked Bakker's spin on magic and his retelling of the first crusade. The later books get buried in creepy rape orc stuff. I gave up a couple books ago.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Megazver posted:

What's bad about the sequels?

jarringly different. the second one starts with a double date that turns into a kidnapping by a sex cult. and the newest is a prequel.

just didn't work for me and i quite liked the first one.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

branedotorg posted:

in the 90s i had pulp editions of everything he'd written up to that point.

i loved the eden series, mostly for the dino-bio hacking like the icthyosaur submarines.

i still have cubic meters of sci fi and fantasy soft covers in a storage unit i haven't looked at in years.

*edit*
I'd like to think critical judgement happened eventually but looking at the volume of self published scifi on my kindle, i doubt it.

The bio-hacking in the Eden series was eh to part of that flock of deus ex machinas I mentioned. I had super-fresh memories of reading Japan at War: An Oral History when I started the Eden books, so the bio-hacking came off more Mengele than cool to me.

Besides the weird Eden series, the other "this aged super-poorly" element of Harry Harrison's writing was the brief period for 2-6(?) books where Harrison was super-stoked about Israel being a bastion of freedom against totalitarianism governments of the future...yeah.

No one who's not in a good place mentally, or even inclined to depression should read Japan at War: An Oral History. It is a super dark book, full of terribleness and death and literal, i repeat LITERAL war criminals. The japanese world war 2 army veteran who casually related his experiences during World War 2 that involved literally chopping the heads off of people as a stress relief device was horrifying enough. But that was ultimately one of the LESSER war crimes in the book.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My library finally come through with Record of a Spaceborn Few and I'm super excited to see whether it lives up to the billing of "Nothing happens."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sorry, there are many deaths and I think also several explosions. It's basically Becky Chambers writing a Michael Bay script.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gave up on Day of the Locust, and am about 3/4 through Alastair Reynold's Elysium Fire right now.

Day of the Locust was dated, boring, and Homer Simpson, a supporting character in the novel, just felt off and wrong after 20+ years of the Simpsons cartoon.

Elysium Fire is ok so far. Lots of contrived situations that keeps the 3 Panoply field agents from The Prefect constantly on the go and undersupported in the field. The Voi storyline gets more complex from chapter to chapter while the reappearance of Aurora from The Prefect but now all helpful instead of kill all humans has me suspecting a variation of the Stargate SG1 episode with the multitude of Ba'al clones being locked up in Stargate Command is going to happen

Single dumbest point in Elysium Fire for me has been the part where water + air flooding back into the no-atmosphere chamber of a space station 2 of the POV Panoply were in, and the tone being all serious + "oh god we're hosed, run towards higher ground" while everyone involved was in spacesuits. I mean, NASA spacesuits from the 1960s - current day are able to function under-water, infinitely more advanced spacesuits having problems being immersed in water just sounds comical.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you didn't like Day of the Locust, btw, you might enjoy the other classic Hollywood novel, Budd Schulberg's What Makes Sammy Run?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The best way I can describe Day of the Locust to someone who never intends to read it is "as overhyped as Catcher in the Rye".
Like Catcher in the Rye, Day of the Locust would be amazing to a teenager in high school/college getting their first taste of curated literature, If you've read more than whats required in college courses, or have encountered Hollywood Babylon beforehand, well Day of the Locust is just redundant. Ironically, Showgirls the trashy "Elizabeth Berkley gets fully naked multiple times" movie has alot of the same themes as Day of the Locust.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In completely unsurprising news and probable confirmation of the dude being an ai instead of a human, there's a new Craig Schaefer book out! Detonation Boulevard is the name.

...named for the Sisters of Mercy song?

On Powder Mage: above all else, those books felt incredibly thin to me. Insubstantial.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So Audible is having another 2 for 1 sale, was wondering if I could get any input as to whether there's anything worth listening to. I'm gonna pick up Pushing Ice, just not sure about the other.

https://mobile.audible.com/special-promo/2for1

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

There's a couple of Murakami and Vonnegut novels. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and The Peripheral by William Gibson are also pretty good.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
I finished "Stars My Destination" last night and very much enjoyed it. Thanks to the multiple people who recommended it. And yes it was definitely a space "Count of Monte Cristo" -- I was looking for revenge stories a la Monte Cristo and that's what it was, hah. I'm still trying to decide whether to continue with "Dune Messiah" now or just end on a high note with "Dune."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MarksMan posted:

I finished "Stars My Destination" last night and very much enjoyed it. Thanks to the multiple people who recommended it. And yes it was definitely a space "Count of Monte Cristo" -- I was looking for revenge stories a la Monte Cristo and that's what it was, hah. I'm still trying to decide whether to continue with "Dune Messiah" now or just end on a high note with "Dune."

If you haven't, you should also check out Bester's other classic, The Demolished Man.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MarksMan posted:

Dune messiah answers the question that Dune poses and is required reading if you enjoyed the first book IMO

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished Elysium Fire...ok to dumb is my verdict. Diminishing returns on the premise set in by the halfway point in the book, IQs dropped around 50 points for everyone who appeared in the last 30 pages of Elysium Fire especially Aurora the alpha level simulation.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

the Hugo Awards are live streaming their awards ceremony I think for the 1st time ever this year, live now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4UI_te7bs

its an awesome thing so far

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It was streamed last year from Helsinki as well :colbert:

E: NK Jemisin triple!

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 20, 2018

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Good for Rebecca Roanhorse. Her story is what I remember most vividly from the time I spent catching up with the ballot.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Jemisin winning the third Hugo for the same trilogy, and Murderbot. Voters did a good job this year. Authentic Indian Experience was great too. Fortunately I somehow missed reading the Best Novelette and now have that to look forward to.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sulphagnist posted:

E: NK Jemisin triple!

yawn

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
At least it isn't Scalzi again? The series was fine, even if the middle book was weaker. I don't think it was 3 hugos fine but ehh, whatever.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 20, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Jemisin winning the third Hugo for the same trilogy, and Murderbot. Voters did a good job this year. Authentic Indian Experience was great too. Fortunately I somehow missed reading the Best Novelette and now have that to look forward to.

Talk about giving out awards on inertia.
It was ok, and of the trilogy only the first one was great.
But then again Scalzi is apparently getting Hugos.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Nice, The Good Place got the Best Dramatic Presentation!

I thought the novels were kinda weak this year.

How is Monstress?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wrapping up my Ethshar binge with The Unwelcome Warlock and oh god this isn't cozy at all :ohdear:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ToxicFrog posted:

Wrapping up my Ethshar binge with The Unwelcome Warlock and oh god this isn't cozy at all :ohdear:

Did you get to Ithnalin's Restoration? If not, end on that one for maximum coziness. Cozesquerie?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Murderbot deserves an award, yeah. Murderbot deserves all the awards. It also deserves to be reprinted in a single reasonably priced collection.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Murderbot deserves an award, yeah. Murderbot deserves all the awards. It also deserves to be reprinted in a single reasonably priced collection.
Yes. To be shelved alongside the Murderbot novel, with a vast stretch of open shelf for future works in the Murderbot legendarium.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Grimwall posted:

How is Monstress?

Love it and can’t wait for the third collected edition coming next month.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Did you get to Ithnalin's Restoration? If not, end on that one for maximum coziness. Cozesquerie?

Yeah, that was three books ago (and it was great). I've been reading them in order.

Most of them are at least somewhat :fluffy: and Ithanalin's Restoration probably tops the list, but I'm only six chapters into The Unwelcome Warlock and thousands of former warlocks are stranded in Alagdamor, Vond is back and planning to conquer the entire World (generally) and the Lumeth Towers (specifically), and the Wizards' Guild is going to flip their collective poo poo, violently and without mercy, as soon as they find out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, that was three books ago (and it was great). I've been reading them in order.

Most of them are at least somewhat :fluffy: and Ithanalin's Restoration probably tops the list, but I'm only six chapters into The Unwelcome Warlock and thousands of former warlocks are stranded in Alagdamor, Vond is back and planning to conquer the entire World (generally) and the Lumeth Towers (specifically), and the Wizards' Guild is going to flip their collective poo poo, violently and without mercy, as soon as they find out.

Ah, ok. Is there anything after Unwelcome Warlock anyway? I should know but I don't

Somehow I ended up on Watt-Evan's mailing list, I think after I backed one of his kickstarters. Every quarter or so he sends out a little email about his kid getting married in China or photos he took of a family trip to Charleston. It's very old-man-dorbs.

edit: there is a new one I hadn't read! Stone Unturned. He just cranks these things out.

From what I remember Sorceror's Widow and Relics of War were both okay-ish, not bad or anything but skippable.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ah, ok. Is there anything after Unwelcome Warlock anyway? I should know but I don't

There's a few more but Unwelcome Warlock is the last one I have handy and after this I figure it's probably time for a break anyways. Not sure what I'll read next. Maybe more Foreigner, or finally get around to reading Craig Schaefer.