Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We might be twins, I used a lego brick separator too.

I paid $15 for a 2 day access to Toyota's online repair manual to figure out where to pull to get all the plastic to come off. Now that I know I can get everything apart in 5 minutes. :downs:

Does Subaru have a similar online portal? I hate paying for that stuff but it was super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Spent about 15 hours installing an Alpine iLX-107 in my 16 WRX over the weekend to replace my garbage Starlink piece of poo poo. I haven't done a head unit installation in probably 15-20 years. Holy poo poo that was a lot of stuff to program (!!) crimp, connect, assemble, snip off, un-crimp, re-crimp, un-crimp because I had it right, re-crimp, test and assemble. Of course I had to basically tear off every single front dash panel.

I think I could have cut that time down by 1/3 if I didn't have my son "help" me. There were a couple screws buried deep on the under-side of the OEM unit that you have to access by jamming a tiny hand or a really long extension from under the steering column and glove box. Despite me saying "this is a terrible idea but I'm going to let you do this one," my son, naturally, unscrewed the one on the steering column side and immediately dropped it down into the nether of the car. Thankfully the bracket for the new unit didn't require those screws, but I can't wait until the one dropped screw rattles for all eternity.

Dumbass time-lapse video I took for no reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamIPjiwN4U

Sup VA buddy

Luckily I had the double din Clarion unit the 2015 got so no starlink bullshit for me. Still needed to reverse engineering the USB colors though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Continuing my adventure from Saturday, I installed a new turbo inlet and put the new turbo in the FXT. gently caress that inlet install. I figured I’d have to cut the original one out so that was no surprise, but putting the new one in was so much worse than I really wanted to deal with. In the end it all went in, and I got everything back together without a massive amount of frustration (but not none). Still waiting on a new EGT probe to be fully back on the road, but everything else is done.

New turbo installed

The new motherfucker inlet

All buttoned up

As a bonus, I cleaned up my original 216k mile turbo. Looks pretty good actually!

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 14, 2018

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

I paid $15 for a 2 day access to Toyota's online repair manual to figure out where to pull to get all the plastic to come off. Now that I know I can get everything apart in 5 minutes. :downs:

Does Subaru have a similar online portal? I hate paying for that stuff but it was super useful.

Yes they do! $35 for 3 days, you can search by Vin and save everything as a PDF for later use.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Sup VA buddy

Luckily I had the double din Clarion unit the 2015 got so no starlink bullshit for me. Still needed to reverse engineering the USB colors though.

Did your USB not come up behind the stock unit into some weird 4-pin square-ish plug? Crutchfield didn't have an adapter, but I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJ4KVQ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plugs into the male/female USB cord that came with the Alpine unit and made it super easy.

xzzy posted:

Not sure, actually! Luckily just about all the clips were on the sides. Once I got a couple popped off, I could just pull the panel and the rest would just come out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Spliced it right in so they're two live connectors as poorly displayed below:

That harness disnt exist when I changed the radio out. That head unit went in October 2015.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 15, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Continuing my adventure from Saturday, I installed a new turbo inlet and put the new turbo in the FXT. gently caress that inlet install. I figured I’d have to cut the original one out so that was no surprise, but putting the new one in was so much worse than I really wanted to deal with. In the end it all went in, and I got everything back together without a massive amount of frustration (but not none). Still waiting on a new EGT probe to be fully back on the road, but everything else is done.

The only way we've ever found to make it easier is either remove the inlet runners OR cable tie the protuding bits into a tighter package.

And still wish for death because gently caress WHOMEVER DECIDED THE INLET GOES UNDER THE INTAKE RUNNERS. gently caress THEM TO HELL

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only way we've ever found to make it easier is either remove the inlet runners OR cable tie the protuding bits into a tighter package.

And still wish for death because gently caress WHOMEVER DECIDED THE INLET GOES UNDER THE INTAKE RUNNERS. gently caress THEM TO HELL

I was definitely not taking the manifold off. I used gentle prodding with a flat blade screwdriver to pop the protruding pieces through the tight spots and creative contortion along with the magical restorative powers of screams and curses. I’ve seen people online saying “oh it was easy!”, and I told my wife those people are liars and communists.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Lube helps, like the stuff for pulling wire or just soapy water.

Given the turbo location, under the mainfold is better and less restrictive than the old multiple sharp 90 degree bends setup. Of course, a big loving rotated turbo is my preference.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I was definitely not taking the manifold off. I used gentle prodding with a flat blade screwdriver to pop the protruding pieces through the tight spots and creative contortion along with the magical restorative powers of screams and curses. I’ve seen people online saying “oh it was easy!”, and I told my wife those people are liars and communists.

I've also heard people saying it's easy.

Absolute bullshit. It takes us nearly two hours on the rally car. And that has things removed which would make it easier and also a silicone pipe. Thank gently caress the BRZ's intake is free and thence we can do something different

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It was totally easy to do when I had the intake manifold off and the engine outside of the car.

Why does Subaru do stupid things like this?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
That Alpine install looks nuts.

I called a guy for a quote to get it bought and installed in my Forester and he quoted me $1K for the unit + install. Looking at what the install actually takes seems like it'd be worth it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mekilljoydammit posted:

It was totally easy to do when I had the intake manifold off and the engine outside of the car.

Why does Subaru do stupid things like this?

Every make has some stupid thing that's hard to do.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've also heard people saying it's easy.

Absolute bullshit. It takes us nearly two hours on the rally car. And that has things removed which would make it easier and also a silicone pipe. Thank gently caress the BRZ's intake is free and thence we can do something different

Everybody who reviews any aftermarket product has to :jerkbag: about how quick it was to put in. Perrin AOS install? If you give a single gently caress about doing things right there’s no loving way it took you just 45 minutes to get that goddamn octopus contraption installed you dickbag, especially with their retarded instructions (it does work really well though).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

I called a guy for a quote to get it bought and installed in my Forester and he quoted me $1K for the unit + install. Looking at what the install actually takes seems like it'd be worth it.

Yeah it is pretty involved, there are a ton of connections that need to be made, especially if you opt to put in the back up camera. There's even an option to tap into the obd2 port and get on screen data.

Way more poo poo going on than the last time I put a head unit in.. back in the 90'a. :v:

But if you enjoy tinkering it's not rocket surgery, just gotta be plan ahead. But it is wayyyyy faster to pay someone else to do it and is probably the smart move.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

i own every Bionicle posted:

Everybody who reviews any aftermarket product has to :jerkbag: about how quick it was to put in. Perrin AOS install? If you give a single gently caress about doing things right there’s no loving way it took you just 45 minutes to get that goddamn octopus contraption installed you dickbag, especially with their retarded instructions (it does work really well though).

Mine wasn't that hard. Dont put the nipples and fittings on until you push it through, slather it with Dawn, then attach it to the turbo first then to the intercooler.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Subaru forgot to finish welding the Ascent.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/subaru-ascent-recall-missing-welds/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

$1k is just north of what I paid for all the poo poo from Crutchfield. $700 for the unit, then $185 for all the wiring/harnesses.

I should have just paid someone to do it since I dedicated blew a whole weekend to putting it in, but I'm an EE, so I like wire diagrams and wiring poo poo up myself. If I had to do it again right now, I could probably get it done in 4 hours or so, knowing exactly what I need to do. Incorrectly wiring my parking brake bypass module up set me back a whole shitload of time.

xzzy posted:

Yeah it is pretty involved, there are a ton of connections that need to be made, especially if you opt to put in the back up camera. There's even an option to tap into the obd2 port and get on screen data.

Way more poo poo going on than the last time I put a head unit in.. back in the 90'a. :v:

But if you enjoy tinkering it's not rocket surgery, just gotta be plan ahead. But it is wayyyyy faster to pay someone else to do it and is probably the smart move.

Yeah I ran the OBD reader. The gauge screen Alpine has is actually pretty decent and customizable. It's pretty cool to be able to see all that info. It can track your 0-60 and quarter-mile times too, haha.

And don't forget the programmable Maestro iDataLink module needed for the steering wheel controls. That you have to plug into your computer, install their lovely web plugin, login to their website with IE. Not Chrome. Not Firefox. Not Edge, which is loving weird. Regular old IE, otherwise ,their plugin can't see your module. And it says you should be running WinXP :lol: It's pretty easy to program, and you get to actually pick what you want to map all the buttons to, but still.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Never buy first gen rule still stands!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Big yikes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a little overblown as it affects nine customers.

In other news, Subaru finally told me that they have too many embassadors in the Hartford CT area. I'm on a wait list. Oh well I tried.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

um excuse me posted:

It's a little overblown as it affects nine customers.

If it was a Tesla there would be a 2000 post TESLA IS DOOMED in C-SPAM, the shorters would be pumping out articles, mass hysteria, Musk tweets, cats would be friends with dogs......

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely agree. Jalopnik posted about new model 3 bumpers falling off with two confirmed cases. That's an even worse case of overhyping an issue. I worked at Pratt and Whitney when the Hawaiian Airlines flight blew up the front of one of it's GP7000 engines. That's still an ongoing issue that affects ALL Airbus A380s but where in the news is that? Media outlets dictate what is newsworthy and it's almost all trash.

Meanwhile the EJ257 ringlands are definitely not defective.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 15, 2018

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

um excuse me posted:

Meanwhile the EJ257 ringlands are definitely not defective.

Actually the type RA got “strengthened” pistons (not forged), which then quietly moved into the regular STI as well for this year AFAIK. So maybe they finally fixed it? :shrug: Of course it’s right before they finally kill that engine. You’d hope.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Is there any real reason to get the official Subaru windshield vs aftermarket (much cheaper)?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

i own every Bionicle posted:

Actually the type RA got “strengthened” pistons (not forged), which then quietly moved into the regular STI as well for this year AFAIK. So maybe they finally fixed it? :shrug: Of course it’s right before they finally kill that engine. You’d hope.

RA pistons don't look a whole lot different or better

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2877380

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A/C is failing on the XT. It was only sorta cold yesterday but the weather was blazing hot. Today I heard a faint whine inside when the A/C was running that stopped when I shut it off. Popped the hood and there's a grinding noise coming from the compressor. Called the dealership -- turns out this is a known issue. Parts are on backorder and they won't order aren't until they make a formal diagnosis. They won't give a loaner for the duration, and they have no loaners available today. So instead of going to the gym today, I have to sit there for them to diagnose what we already know, then have a poorly-temperature-controlled car in loving August for at least a week, and then maybe the car will get fixed.

Still better off than my buddy with the failed CTS-V differential that no longer is available and which is being redesigned.

edit: three hours of my life later, yeah, shocker, that's the problem and now my car interior continues to be hot as hell until the part comes in.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 16, 2018

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FXT is back on the road. No issues as far as I can tell apart from the normal spilled oil and coolant burning off on the test drive.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Still better off than my buddy with the failed CTS-V differential that no longer is available and which is being redesigned.

What year?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

What year?

2009, I think. Manual wagon in the tricoat black.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Kreez posted:

I'm getting sick of re-attaching the front bumper and side skirts on my 2010 base model Impreza seemingly more and more often, as the forestry roads around here seem to get worse and worse each year. I've heard some pretty intense smashes from under the car as well, though nothing seems to have been seriously damaged yet. I've been poking around ads for Outbacks and Foresters.

Is lifting my existing car an inch or two a completely stupid idea? From looking around Youtube and some aftermarket parts shops I could do this either by putting spacers in above the struts, or by putting stiffer springs in, both of which seem pretty non-invasive.

I'd just like to be able to navigate my way up slightly washed out mountain roads without my bumper scraping all over the place.

It's not a stupid idea. That's basically what the "outback" versions of various cars were. Same car with an inch or two of lift.

I was half jokingly considering doing that with my 2011 WRX, and was basically a strut swap.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I have a 2009 OBS as a winter beater and have had the bumper and front under tray/fender liners come loose in the winter a few times after getting packed with snow and never had that problem with my other Subaru’s. It’s possible the PO hosed it all up but in general all that stuff seems flimsy on these cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tetrapyloctomy posted:

2009, I think. Manual wagon in the tricoat black.

Apologies for the derail in advance.

Wow. I know the gen 1 cars had rear diff issues because it was way undersized for the car it was in (believe it was the same one from the Solstice GXP in a car with 100+ more hp and gobs more torque and weighing 1000lb more...) but thought the gen 2 cars were ok. I know they changed the axle sizes relative left to right to help with it and thought the diffs survived at that point. Guess it wasn't enough.

Is he going with an aftermarket (9"?) diff now or something instead?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

Apologies for the derail in advance.

Wow. I know the gen 1 cars had rear diff issues because it was way undersized for the car it was in (believe it was the same one from the Solstice GXP in a car with 100+ more hp and gobs more torque and weighing 1000lb more...) but thought the gen 2 cars were ok. I know they changed the axle sizes relative left to right to help with it and thought the diffs survived at that point. Guess it wasn't enough.

Is he going with an aftermarket (9"?) diff now or something instead?
Right now his car is stuck at the GM dealership. He had his diff replaced 18k miles ago or something like that, and just before taking a long trip he noted it was leaking significantly. He took it back to the dealership, who said that even though it's out of warranty they'd replace it with a low copay, as they admitted the replacement should not have failed so soon. He went a week with only getting vague answers via phone before going back out there in person. He's on good terms with one of the parts guys, and they started cc'ing him on the e-mails with GM, and it doesn't sound good. So I don't know, maybe he will have to go aftermarket, but it's not yet determined.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

First real test drive with some distance today on the FXT. Throttle response seems improved, and the turbo seems to spool faster with the catless pipe. Maybe it’s confirmation bias, but the car feels improved.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Anyone have any idea how new tires can lead to one of my brakes cooking off in normal driving?

I recently had my 2013 Impreza at the dealer getting a faulty TPS sensor swapped out in addition to two new tires. Only those two were worn out enough to warrant replacing following the service department's suggestion. I don't know if they shaved the new set to match the remaining set which seems wasteful. If not, it could explain why they said I should come back in September.

This was two Fridays ago and today after getting out of my car I noticed a smell that I would describe as hot and slightly burned. I didn't think much of it at first but I immediately noticed it again after driving a bit and getting out. I eventually narrow the source of the smell to the driver's side rear wheel which was ridiculously hot; hot enough that water sprinkled on the steel wheel sizzled right off. I can only assume the brake is partially engaging while I'm driving because it's the only thing that I can think of that could make just that wheel that hot and the smell is exactly the same as the outside of a commuter train after stopping at a train station. The weird thing is I only just noticed it today which is a hard thing to miss when it's on the driver's side and today was actually one of the coolest days this month. Plus the car drives normally enough with no drift or no hint of abnormal slowing down while coasting. A possible reason why it's excessively engaging is that the mismatched tires is causing the AWD system to engage the brakes to match tire rotations which makes sense since I think the new tires are on the front. (Not entirely sure since the tires were also rotated so I can't be sure which side the invoice is referring to.) But then why now and why only on the driver's side?

In any case, I'll have to take it in to the dealer again to get that looked at. That definitely cannot be good for my brakes especially since I tend to top out at 80 mph during my commute. I'm also worried what the tire pressure looked like while the wheel was still hot. :stonk:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Don't run tires of different tread depths. That'll gently caress up a lot more than your brakes.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hey goons, I'm shopping for a new car, and I think I've landed on getting a 2018 Impreza 2.0i Sport. Anything I should be aware of before buying?

boscoman
May 14, 2004

Eats like a meal...

honda whisperer posted:

Yes they do! $35 for 3 days, you can search by Vin and save everything as a PDF for later use.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

Is there some sort of trick to downloading the pdfs? I'd like to save a local copy of the service manual, diagrams and all, but all I've come up with is using the print function on each chapter and just saving as a .pdf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A/C is failing on the XT. It was only sorta cold yesterday but the weather was blazing hot. Today I heard a faint whine inside when the A/C was running that stopped when I shut it off...

'06 forester XT here, and just started having this issue a couple of weeks ago. Right before a 600 mile drive in 95 degree weather. How much was it going to be to fix?