Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I didn't even know there was anything else but the frangiclave. I just kinda found it immediately after finding my way to the peacock door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Sandweed posted:

You never need that just use the mirrors.

In my current game, I sort of set aside, I have yet to have even one mirror drop let alone the Frangiclave.

I'm already hitting the repeatable locations in 6+ lore.

I know I can still win this run but the grinding I need to do is painful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tormented posted:

In my current game, I sort of set aside, I have yet to have even one mirror drop let alone the Frangiclave.

I'm already hitting the repeatable locations in 6+ lore.

I know I can still win this run but the grinding I need to do is painful.

RNG hasn't passed you the Intercalate either? Ouch.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this game becomes Really Fun once you go into the JSONs and you edit the poo poo out of the timers (which I very strongly recommend once you dealt enough with it as "to be fair"): as someone with ADHD, dealing with multiple timed situations with simultaneous occurrences makes my mind scream like a psychotic banshee, so learning the ropes was all about having multiple losses involving forgetting about detectives/dread/fascination in a merry-go-round of oblivious cultist insanity :buddy:

(likewise I am not a fan of "real time as actual resource from the player" in game design, for it IMHO creates an immense artificial attention barrier while also becoming a tremendous timewaster for someone who knows the ropes a bit, which was a problem also in Sunless Sea albeit in a different way)

so I am creating a "ADHD-friendly/Arcade/Wanna kill a game in a couple of hours max" mode. my changes so far are:

- books are bought instantly (my very first change for obvious reasons lol);

- auction purchases are very short (3s) to give you time to match another bid;

- auction sales, exploration (finding places, checking rumors, etc), cabaret visits and patron chats are instantaneous;

- rites are done instantly: in case of rebellious summons, 5s interval to react;

- cult stuff (public talking, recruitment, promotion, etc) is done instantly, tasking has a 5s window to assign what you want your cultist to do;

- work is where I am trying to "find a balance" (lol really) because of the skills, but that is more for flavor than anything: all the timers are dramatically reduced;

- lore studies, translations and readings are all near instantaneous;

- dungeon crawling has 2s intervals to put funds and send assistants (instantaneous timers would gently caress things up pretty badly here);

- mystique burns up pretty fast, glimmering/erudition last two minutes (which is actually more than enough for you to accumulate whatever you need: I really can't agree with interface juggling as a game mechanic);

- I am experimenting with notoriety, dread and fascination to see what would work for such reduced player activity timers; since I didn't change the basic "Time" situation (mostly because it is about a "season of [something]" so I decided to use that meaning of a longer period more-or-less more literally than the original intention), I feel they should have longer cooldowns, but dunno what would work here;

this pretty much trivializes the game for a player who knows what's up, but allow them to actually sink their teeth in the game's feel and prose much more because your speculation about what the gently caress the door-in-the-eye is about isn't interrupted because "oh god how the gently caress I am going to pull dread out of my butt because I am about to be eaten by visions" isn't there to scream alarm at you

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Whoops, nevermind.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

This looks good. Care to post the json when you're done with it?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

This looks good. Care to post the json when you're done with it?

Sure man, I am playing it again to get the feel of things and check what other alterations can be made, mainly in regard to card duration and such. Also, I am thinking in fiddling about with detective activity to make use of the shorter mystique times and making pursuit much quicker ("this is OBVIOUSLY a painting that depicts OBVIOUS forbidden knowledge so mr. curator just give me the card of the author kthxbai") but keep notoriety timers as is

(Actually, come to think of it, detective activity should be totally divorced from the timer mechanic and have a semi-random frequency)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

OK, done, but, like I said, for anyone who knows the game, it trivializes it so it isn't a gameplay balance mod or anything

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GGST3qaAK3LJK81T1x5OUC3Tm5AbHOJ-/view?usp=sharing

Just extract it in [Game Folder]\cultistsimulator_Data\StreamingAssets\content\core and replace its contents with the one in "modded_core" and it should work

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Should I be focusing on only building up Reason or Passion, or should I juggle both?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Should I be focusing on only building up Reason or Passion, or should I juggle both?

Both, they're both useful and they're both used for stuff. But they're easier to build up compared to health because you can get books that increase each for only two Glimmerings or Eruditions.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Buying fitness DVDs to become Stronger

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Past three or four neither stat really matters.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

If you paint a lot you can go through a lot of passion fast.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Somberbrero posted:

I think the most I ever used at once was 5.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Speedball posted:

If you paint a lot you can go through a lot of passion fast.

If you're just interested in winning, you should be playing physician. Painting is kind of a specific example but yeah, you're right.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus poo poo jesus gently caress, I got the poo poo scared out of me while I was clicking away in the middle of Dreaming about the Wood.

Now I don't know how to progress. How do I make this map go away?

Um, I managed to open a map to...something? And now my screen is stuck on that map? And my health is shooting all the way up to the thousands? Did I win?

Edit: Never mind, mystery solved:

:shepface:

I'm also kinda having trouble getting a feel of the basic flow of the game. Do I want to mostly stockpile money? Research secrets? Gain followers? I'm super awful at spinning plates.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 29, 2018

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Map thing: Drag one of the cards to the door you came through

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Map thing: Drag one of the cards to the door you came through

Oh. Truth be told, this game doesn't have good UI/UX. I feel like I'm fighting the game itself more than anything else. It's pretty crappy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yo, wait, what the gently caress is this legacy thing? Is it new?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pollyanna posted:

Yo, wait, what the gently caress is this legacy thing? Is it new?

It’s not new, but they’ll be adding more in the future. Right now there are only four.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s not new, but they’ll be adding more in the future. Right now there are only four.

Gotcha. Also, does it matter what kind of Lore I use to found the Cult? Apparently you can only win with three of them?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Pollyanna posted:

Gotcha. Also, does it matter what kind of Lore I use to found the Cult? Apparently you can only win with three of them?

The lore you use to found the cult affects which cultists you can raise to their highest potential. But you can pursue any victory after founding any type of cult.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For example if you make a Forge cult, you can raise your forge oriented cultists to maximum level meaning they can churn out stuff. Edge cults gets you super-stabbers, or winter cults, get lots of corpses? :v: Some make it easier than others. You can also make a lore cult, which can use anything to promote, but cant level any cultist to maximum.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

For example if you make a Forge cult, you can raise your forge oriented cultists to maximum level meaning they can churn out stuff. Edge cults gets you super-stabbers, or winter cults, get lots of corpses? :v: Some make it easier than others. You can also make a lore cult, which can use anything to promote, but cant level any cultist to maximum.

Yeah, this is the pink "Society of St. Hydra" cult.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That said of course having high-level cultists can help you with your ascension ritual but if you get lucky and learn the Intercalate rite you just jam stuff into it and win

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Notably, there are three unique demons and each one has 12 in one of the Lores required to win, so you're not screwed out of winning if you didn't pick a Forge/Lantern/Grail cult. I've only got a Knock cult and a St. Hydra cult to go, so I've won something like 7 times and I've still only ever used Sunset Rite or Rite of the Map's Edge to win. I've actually only got Intercalate like twice.

My previous game to the one I've just completed was loving cursed. I didn't get a mirror drop until about two minutes before I won the game, so I was scumming Stag Door to try and get enough Secret Histories to do some of the later expeditions in the hopes that I would get better drops. Never got so unlucky with expedition drops before. The game before that, the literal very first thing I got from my first expedition was the Wildering Mirror which I didn't even know was on the loot list for Capital expeditions. Cultist Simulator giveth and Cultist Simulator taketh away.

On the one hand, it's probably a good thing that they've now patched it so hiring crims on the black market and murdering them gives you Notoriety since it made Edge and Grail cults kinda worthless but on the other hand it's now much more faff to get through the Spider Door. It does mean that Power victory is kinda balanced against the other two now, considering you probably need to go through Spider to get the win instead of Peacock and maintaining your Marks is waaaay easier with Power.

Edit: Wow, talking about this game really does make you sound like an insane cultist.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I finally won my first victory. I will not grow old.

I won a Sensation victory with a Winter cult. Which is extremely disturbing considering how your ascension is obtained. I actually had to resort to feeding on prisoners though because corpses were too hard to time with the goal timer. Still disturbing though considering you don't leave a corpse behind after you're sated. :gonk:

I think the high point of the game for me was figuring out how to open the Stag Door. The other two higher doors didn't have the same effect, but maybe because I got lucky with the expeditions and picked up a very useful item.

I'm definitely glad I paid for the Eternal edition because all the new stuff they're adding seems to be pretty good. Now to go back and read all the lore spoilers and speculation in this thread.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Doodmons posted:

Notably, there are three unique demons and each one has 12 in one of the Lores required to win, so you're not screwed out of winning if you didn't pick a Forge/Lantern/Grail cult. I've only got a Knock cult and a St. Hydra cult to go, so I've won something like 7 times and I've still only ever used Sunset Rite or Rite of the Map's Edge to win. I've actually only got Intercalate like twice.

My previous game to the one I've just completed was loving cursed. I didn't get a mirror drop until about two minutes before I won the game, so I was scumming Stag Door to try and get enough Secret Histories to do some of the later expeditions in the hopes that I would get better drops. Never got so unlucky with expedition drops before. The game before that, the literal very first thing I got from my first expedition was the Wildering Mirror which I didn't even know was on the loot list for Capital expeditions. Cultist Simulator giveth and Cultist Simulator taketh away.

On the one hand, it's probably a good thing that they've now patched it so hiring crims on the black market and murdering them gives you Notoriety since it made Edge and Grail cults kinda worthless but on the other hand it's now much more faff to get through the Spider Door. It does mean that Power victory is kinda balanced against the other two now, considering you probably need to go through Spider to get the win instead of Peacock and maintaining your Marks is waaaay easier with Power.

Edit: Wow, talking about this game really does make you sound like an insane cultist.

they're not demons!!!! theyre more real than reality..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

then you are the demons

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1027848519485407232

Teresa's build: will have romance.

But will it let you romance Teresa? :thunk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They also posted this :3:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Children of Silence reporting in.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kaethela posted:

Children of Silence reporting in.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
The 20th is coming up and they implied that something special is happening on Lovecraft birthday.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Time to change my username to "A quiet poster."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All I'm saying is, if your path to enlightenment goes 1) summon Percussgiant 2) DANCE PARTY! you have to be doing something right.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Society of St Hydra here, debating which history of the world is the most canon is my specialty.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AppleDan posted:

Society of St Hydra here, debating which history of the world is the most canon is my specialty.

Is the answer 'all of them'?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Kaethela posted:

Is the answer 'all of them'?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mirror of Glory. Looking at all these low-tier scrubs who aren't here to unlock the mysteries of the universe and shaking my head.

Also: the 3MA episode for this game is, uh, not great. I'm fairly certain nobody involved ever managed to get past the stag door?