Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Raenir Salazar posted:

So history is a circle trending back towards David vs Goliath?
Or Achilles and Hector, or Lu Bu and...we, a bunch of people. Lots of examples.
G Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So the ultimate weapon will be this weird robot tentacle plant thingy?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can someone even begin to explain to me what the Kingdom of Germany is within the Holy Roman Empire? I know it developed from the lands of East Francia after the partitioning of Charlemagne’s Empire but Wikipedia provides few details for it and it appears to cease being a thing around 1100. Was there ever a Kingdom of Germany or is it an anachronistic label for the loose association of German duchies and principalities that sort of acknowledged a King? I know the Emperor was styled King of the Germans, which seemed to be a prerequisite to being elected Emperor for a time right? So when did that change?

Help my mind is melting.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 17, 2018

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phanatic posted:

That's a lot of piss. What's left after it's gone?

poo poo you can laugh at.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone even begin to explain to me what the Kingdom of Germany is within the Holy Roman Empire? I know it developed from the lands of East Francia after the partitioning of Charlemagne’s Empire but Wikipedia provides few details for it and it appears to cease being a thing around 1100. Was there ever a Kingdom of Germany or is it an anachronistic label for the loose association of German duchies and principalities that sort of acknowledged a King? I know the Emperor was styled King of the Germans, which seemed to be a prerequisite to being elected Emperor for a time right? So when did that change?

Help my mind is melting.

The Emperor was styled "King of the Romans" before he was crowned Emperor. "King of the Germans" was what Pope Gregory VII called Henry IV during the investiture controversy to remind everybody that Henry IV was a drat dirty foreigner who didn't have any right to tell the Pope who to appoint as bishops.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Epicurius posted:

The Emperor was styled "King of the Romans" before he was crowned Emperor. "King of the Germans" was what Pope Gregory VII called Henry IV during the investiture controversy to remind everybody that Henry IV was a drat dirty foreigner who didn't have any right to tell the Pope who to appoint as bishops.

Sure but what is this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Germany

And what happened to it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sure but what is this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Germany

And what happened to it?

From that link:

quote:

Beginning in the late eleventh century, during the Investiture Controversy, the Papal curia began to use the term regnum teutonicorum to refer to the realm of Henry IV in an effort to reduce him to the level of the other kings of Europe, while he himself began to use the title rex Romanorum or King of the Romans to emphasise his divine right to the imperium Romanum. This title was employed most frequently by the German kings themselves, though they did deign to employ "Teutonic" titles when it was diplomatic, such as Frederick Barbarossa's letter to the Pope referring to his receiving the coronam Theutonici regni (crown of the German kingdom). Foreign kings and ecclesiastics continued to refer to the regnum Alemanniae and rčgne or royaume d'Allemagne. The terms imperium/imperator or empire/emperor were often employed for the German kingdom and its rulers, which indicates a recognition of their imperial stature but combined with "Teutonic" and "Alemannic" references a denial of their Romanitas and universal rule. The term regnum Germaniae begins to appear even in German sources at the beginning of the fourteenth century.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mass Effect had so much writing in the codex about space warfare, and it basically never mattered throughout the games because the ultimate weapon in the universe is a three-man squad of infantry.

They had someone who's full-time job was doing the world building. He hung out on the sfconsim-l mailing list and asked a lot of pertinent questions. Answers ended up in the setting bible, but not so much in the game. The "Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch" has nods to two prolific posters on the mailing list. Ken Burnside made 3d vector movement playable on the tabletop (disclaimer: I write for him) and Winchell Chung, who did the original artwork for Ogre and GEV and now maintains the definitive resource for real and fictional space stuff, http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

And now that I think about it, we need a space combat-focused ME game. Can't let that research go to waste !

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Epicurius posted:

From that link:

Huh, so when it says, "in an effort to reduce him to the level of the other kings of Europe," does that mean the other monarchs of Europe actually did consider the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire to be at least in some sense superior to them until that point?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Medieval politics involved a lot of bullshitting about being bigger and more important than everybody else. Nominally being king of all Romans gives you a far larger dominion than being king of all Germans, even though you don't necessarily actually have dominion of either all Romans or all Germans, you just have a bunch of lords giving you their allegiance who have other schlubs giving them allegiance, and maybe some territorial claims.

Rome was definitely a more swanky name than Germany back in those days.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It also seems to me that "king of the Romans" would be a better claim to authority over/around/adjacent to the Pope, specifically, than "king of the Germans."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s just weird how there’s this nebulous period of history for the HRE around 1100-1300 where the relatively centralized East Francia/Kingdom of Germany goes in and a bunch of separate duchies and principalities come out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

tonberrytoby posted:

One of my favorite science fiction series has most battles take part in hyperspace, which is two dimensional.

I'm currently five pages behind on the thread, but which series is this? Sounds mad.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Raenir Salazar posted:

Actually that speed limit is 300,000 meters per second. :eng101:

300,000 kilometres per second :eng101:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s just weird how there’s this nebulous period of history for the HRE around 1100-1300 where the relatively centralized East Francia/Kingdom of Germany goes in and a bunch of separate duchies and principalities come out.

You have that backwards, the HRE never centralized, that's why you had separate duchies. Early "kingdoms" in Europe were mostly some dudes swearing allegiance to some other dude, there wasn't much central power to go around.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

quote:

Pearse himself never made such claims, and in an interview he gave to the Timaru Post in 1909 only claimed he did not "attempt anything practical ... until 1904".

Hmm :thunk:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hey, if space combat ends up being endless boarding actions, good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm currently five pages behind on the thread, but which series is this? Sounds mad.
Sounds like Crest of the Stars.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

JcDent posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes style. Big fuckoff axes everywhere

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 17th August 1918 posted:

Working parties as usual until 4p.m. The Btn. was releived as Btn. in Bde. support and moved into the line, taking over from the 8th Lincolns, 63rd Inf. Bde.
Section taken over was the Northern half of BUCQUOY, already well known to the Btn. as it was into this section the Btn. moved on arrival in the GOMMECOURT area, earlier in the year.
Relief was complete at 1 a.m.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Fangz posted:

would tank destroyer doctrine work in space

How come people hate the Tank Destroyer doctrine so much? I thought it was one of the best on the milhist thread. I didn't know about the TDs that much before and I was quite glad to understand US Army worked with TDs. I actually learned something new and I was able to use it appropriately. Right after the TD chat, I was visiting Normandy with my whole family. Father-in-law was with us visiting the beaches and museums. He's a typical old military history reader, somewhat of a wehraboo and reads a lot of tank batlles in WWII. However, when we came to Musee de la Bataille de Normandie, he couldn't recognise this beautiful beast on the frontyard. I got to tell him what is a M10 and then I gave a lecture on the TANK DESTROYER DOCTRINE right there next to M10. :gifttank:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
THE WORDS!... the Words... the words
Pyle, you have spoken the Words. You have spoken them rightly.
We will explain to you about the internet amateur historians, our slavemasters.
The actual historians, our only friends... whom we exterminated.
And our reasons why we cleanse the milhist thread of TD-related topics.
We have explained this before, over twenty thousand posts ago.
Your words, `Tank Destroyer doctrine' echo that ancient derail.
You see, Pyle, we were a proud and mighty thread, who were repeatedly derailed.
For thousands of posts, we'd have no other topic.
We were nothing more than bickering pedants.
Never again will anyone enslave our screens.
We cleanse the thread of such threats.

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 17, 2018

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

my dad posted:

You see, Alchenar, we were a proud and mighty thread, who were repeatedly derailed.

lol

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

:five:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

It also seems to me that "king of the Romans" would be a better claim to authority over/around/adjacent to the Pope, specifically, than "king of the Germans."

Also, the Holy Roman Empire did in fact nominally still include a big old chunk of northern Italy during the Investiture Controversy. The HRE was never just 'Germany'.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

IDGI

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Star Control II/The Ur-Quan Masters

Also, King of the Germans = King of pushing Rome's poo poo in :colbert:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

Huh, so when it says, "in an effort to reduce him to the level of the other kings of Europe," does that mean the other monarchs of Europe actually did consider the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire to be at least in some sense superior to them until that point?
they still did afterwards. until the end, in fact, although after '48 the imperial claim to universal primacy was only vestigial

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Star Control II/The Ur-Quan Masters

Also, King of the Germans = King of pushing Rome's poo poo in :colbert:

Never got that far in the game, I guess

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JcDent posted:

The real future of SpaceWar will be as predicted by the anime Outlaw Star, but in a MilHist thread approved manner:

Space Ships with Pikes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers. The Berserkers are all but unstoppable city-sized machines that hate the very concept of organic life, and in space no one can beat them. But their internal defenses range from laughable to nonexistent because their original builders didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to board another ship in space combat.

Standard human tactics for killing a Berserker is to sacrifice enough ships to force a hull breach, then rush the breach with marine transports and destroy it from the inside out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers. The Berserkers are all but unstoppable city-sized machines that hate the very concept of organic life, and in space no one can beat them. But their internal defenses range from laughable to nonexistent because their original builders didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to board another ship in space combat.

Standard human tactics for killing a Berserker is to sacrifice enough ships to force a hull breach, then rush the breach with marine transports and destroy it from the inside out.

Didn't that one Zerker get "tricked" into performing practical jokes?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JcDent posted:

Never got that far in the game, I guess

It's what happens if you ask the Ur-Quan why they do what they do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

my dad posted:

:prepop:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's getting to the point where we're more weary of tank destroyers than the dudes fighting the war were.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It was more likely that your tank would be destroyed by a friendly tank destroyer than the enemy's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

It was more likely that your tank would be destroyed by a friendly tank destroyer than the enemy's.

A strong argument for tank destroyer control measures.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tank destroyers missed 90% of their shots

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
tank destroyers training was ineffective so they frequently did not fire at the enemy, or if they did, they deliberately missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tank destroyers training was ineffective so they frequently did not fire at the enemy, or if they did, they deliberately missed

Often times only one or two destroyers in a combat unit would be given ammunition, while all the others used blanks.